As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[No Man's Sky] Shoot birds, mine asteroids

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Well add to the fact that they don't actually orbit or even spin, the whole illusion is completely lost to me. I just feel like I'm triggering a loading screen between literal cubes with some static planets inside them.

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    I too eventually felt that the space traveling parts (between planets I'm visiting) were just a glorified loading screen mini-game. It was never a challenge, some pretty sights but overall a very shallow experience.

I think it only took once for me to *boing* off a space station to be all, "Fuck this is stupid." Little details like that added up over time and just ruined it for me. Why not make your ship explode? It can explode on an asteroid, why not elsewhere?

And why is space just carpeted with asteroids? It would have been much more interesting to come across asteroid fields and get some resources, rather than just flying through asteroids literally everywhere. Flying through asteroids, dodging, blowing holes.. it all felt pretty bland after my first visit to space. Oh, these are everywhere. Cool.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Asteroids are everywhere because they contain Thaumium9. T9 is needed to power your engines. If it wasn't readily available, you could run out of fuel between planets and be stuck with an "indefinite" trip to the nearest ball.

Ergo, T9 needs to be available everywhere at any time. Which means Asteroids.

Same reason red plutonium crystals are on every planet. Without it, you can't take off.

• Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    Rzz1pWM.png

:rotate:

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I hit a space station the other day while looking at the stuff I had named by accident and the fact I just "boinged" off it with the camera rotating solidly for a complete 2-3 minutes was not very fun. I honestly would have preferred to explode and respawn. The fact there are almost no collisions or meaningful physics is hugely disappointing.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Don't you lose your entire ship when you explode? Like, have to buy a new one or something?

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Don't you lose your entire ship when you explode? Like, have to buy a new one or something?

nah they walked that back, you do a corpse run just like on the ground to get your inventory back. A system will break.

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I think that was originally the plan, but now you just leave your cargo floating where you died.

• Options
    Oh, well that's not so bad then. Totally losing a ship would be a shitty mechanic anyway, honestly.

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Asteroids are everywhere because they contain Thaumium9. T9 is needed to power your engines. If it wasn't readily available, you could run out of fuel between planets and be stuck with an "indefinite" trip to the nearest ball.

Same reason red plutonium crystals are on every planet. Without it, you can't take off.

This is not a good reason for there to be asteroids everywhere.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    I think the en masse refund push for NMS has backfired from all accounts. It looks like other services, like PSN and similar are now denying refunds under very similar reasons to Steam. It seems that the weekend staff were who people took advantage of and the loophole/system people were using has closed. So some people have had refunds, while others denied, which is wonderfully inconsistent from these companies. Basically, if you got on the refund train early enough this weekend, it looks like you won out.

What a total and complete mess this has turned into.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    So, my favorite planet of this system I named Toxic Love; it's horribly toxic, but has huge mushrooms everywhere, and a frankly insane amount of wildlife, the lion's share mainly hungry for rocks or plants. It looks pretty cool, and was the site of my second "dogfight"; I'm not sure if it's just that fighting in atmosphere is easier, or if it's because I have a lead, or if it's because I have a few upgrades on my ship, but it's a not-bad distraction.

The other two planets I named Plutus and Gehenna (though the latter, while renamed, has a red arrow next to its name. I think I'll report it as a bug.) both were devoid of life, and while Plutus had gold, emiril, and iridium, it looked like a blasted wasteland, so I named it for the demon presiding over the circle of hell devoted to greed. Gehenna had plentiful plants, but no critters, and was hot as all hell, so . . . yeah.

Thus far, this second system has been less engrossing than the first, and it was a red star too. Might try another yellow star, or an M instead of K class star, after finding everything on this last planet.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    Cobalt60 wrote: »

This is not a good reason for there to be asteroids everywhere.

Nothing they did in this game was done for a GOOD reason.

It was done to get in finished now instead of like, next year.

I am 100% convinced of that.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular

The resource management in this game is boring and uninspired, which results in boring and inspired resource collection.

It doesn't need to be that way. They could have made it more interesting in a lot of different ways.

And this is supposed to be a survival game. If you get stranded, you have not survived. Making sure you're flush on resources to make each trip should be part of the game.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    It's more an exploration game, if anything. There's barely any survival elements in the game treacherous enough to prove difficult.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Then they should probably have made sure there was something worth exploring, because once you've got to a certain point of maxing out your inventory and have enough credits to do so, there honestly isn't much worth doing on a planet anymore. Other games that feature a lot of exploration have mechanics that support this, such as larger metagoals like building a huge colony in Starbound or finding that underwater stronghold containing the items letting you get to the Ender Dragon in Minecraft (etc). No Man's Sky has a kind of "Well, now I've got maximum inventory... there just isn't anything worth doing now" to it.

Unless of course, you find it's application as a screenshot generator useful - which is something I guess.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    The point of exploration is to you know, explore. See new planets and systems, that sort of thing. It has worth in and of itself without needing to give you a thing.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Big Classy wrote: »
    The point of exploration is to you know, explore. See new planets and systems, that sort of thing. It has worth in and of itself without needing to give you a thing.

I find something should also be satisfying and fun to explore. Neither of these are things NMS in its current state accomplishes. I played it long enough that no matter what they claimed about 18 quintillion worlds, I felt like I had seen everything I needed to see from a handful of them. In that way it reminded me a lot of Mass Effect, with its random boxes that you dropped the Mako in. Sure, there were a whole ton of them to explore, but you felt like you'd seen everything they had to offer after the first 3-4.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Big Classy wrote: »

I find something should also be satisfying and fun to explore. Neither of these are things NMS in its current state accomplishes. I played it long enough that no matter what they claimed about 18 quintillion worlds, I felt like I had seen everything I needed to see from a handful of them.

And that's perfectly fine. I'll carry on past the 100hr mark and continue to be impressed with the weird and wonderful things I come across. :)

If ever a game was marmite, jesus. :lol:

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    My enthusiasm for NMS has rolled back quite a bit since launch. I don't hate it, and I don't regret my purchase, but the game's not having the longevity I was expecting pre-release. The wonder and excitement from the first week has worn off, and I kind of feel like there's no drive to do anything anymore. The revelation of what awaits you at the center kicked off the drop in excitement, and it went downhill from there. I've no reason to stop at space stations anymore. No need to talk to any aliens or visit abandoned processing plants since I know every blueprint. Cataloging wildlife is fun, but the reward proves to be not worth it when you're spending hours trying to find the last species on the planet and you get a measly 175,000 units.

I do continue to be amazed at what they've done with procedural generation, though. I've had some repeating trees, but I've not been on a planet yet that makes me feel like I've seen it before. At the very least, there's still some drive to see what the next planet will look like. At this point, I feel like one of two things(or maybe both) will happen. Hello Games will push through the negativity and add more and more content to the game, and I'll keep coming back to it. Or another developer will take the idea, learn from NMS' mistakes and put out something a little better from the start and I'll play that.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Or another developer will take the idea, learn from NMS' mistakes and put out something a little better from the start and I'll play that.

That's a great point. If someone, even Hello Games despite their credibility burn, learns lessons from this, just think what the next game will be capable of. And good grief I'm mentally building up hype for a game that doesn't exist yet what is wrong with me

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I forced myself through the rest of the "story" of the game in an attempt to finish it.

Spoilers I guess?
    I got to the end and it asked for 10 Atlas Stones. They seriously wanted you to hold on to those stones the entire fucking time? What happens when you turn them in? Is that the actual ending?

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    urahonky wrote: »
    I forced myself through the rest of the "story" of the game in an attempt to finish it.

Spoilers I guess?
    I got to the end and it asked for 10 Atlas Stones. They seriously wanted you to hold on to those stones the entire fucking time? What happens when you turn them in? Is that the actual ending?
    That's not the end of the game, just the end of the Atlas path.

If you have 10 stones and hand them over, it implies that by doing so a new star has been created somewhere. That is all that happens. There is no evidence that an actual new star is being created, they don't show it to you or tell you its name or anything. No network traffic happens when you do it either, so it seems like just some flavor text.

The end of the game is when you get to the center of the universe, which is a whole different thing you'll probably appreciate being spoiled on ahead of time.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options

Spoilers I guess?
    That's not the end of the game, just the end of the Atlas path.

If you have 10 stones and hand them over, it implies that by doing so a new star has been created somewhere. That is all that happens. There is no evidence that an actual new star is being created, they don't show it to you or tell you its name or anything. No network traffic happens when you do it either, so it seems like just some flavor text.

The end of the game is when you get to the center of the universe, which is a whole different thing you'll probably appreciate being spoiled on ahead of time.
    Where in this game have they ever told you to go to the center of the universe?

Goodness. I might just shelve the game. The uniqueness of it has certainly worn off for me and it became a chore to visit new planets.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I think you just kinda have to know that's your goal from prerelease talk, and the fact that stuff like black holes always send you a little closer,
    along with the actual end of the atlas path telling you to head toward the center I think. "Maybe I'll find the answers I seek there."

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Also, the main path on the map is called "Path to the Center".

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Also, the main path on the map is called "Path to the Center".

Which is the main path? The first tab? Every time I went in there it defaults to the "Atlas Path" which I had assumed was the story path.

Also I still only have Level 1 Atlas Pass. That is kinda annoying.

• Options
    PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    Petesalzl wrote: »
    i have to say i did put a fair amount of hours into this game and did get a good amount of enjoyment out of it and was for a time willing to say it was worth the money, but with the reveal that the renames of animals, planets, and systems doesnt actually save or atleast may not save was kind of a final straw. i had a system i really liked and had it checkpointed while i was out exploring other places, but decided to go back to see for sure if it had kept my names or not and sure enough after many light years of following my checkpointpath i made it back to find nothing i had left was there. so i will be asking for a refund. sorry if that makes it seem like i feel entitled or whatever, but i honestly wasnt going to until that happened because i now know that i will never play the game again.
    Actually, the initial person who reported that later found that the names were stored showed back up; they reinstalled but it may just have been taking a while to grab that info from the server or the upload had failed initially and something triggered a re-upload or any number of possible somethings.

The comment's been deleted after being updated with the edits, tho.

[edited for accuracy]

ok, well i did not get my refund even with putting in a ticket. it did mention having to stick to the normal policy, im assuming because they dont want to set a precedent that leads to them getting a ton of support tickets. so no refund. however i would like to say i wasnt basing it off of the original post, i actually went in game to a system i had checkpointed because i really liked it and everything was wiped. i dont care if there is a fix if it requires a reinstall, or the moons to be in the right alignment or anything. this shouldnt happen. if they are toting that as a key feature of the game there should be double back up in place to make sure it saves. and to be clear this wasnt a day one system, it had been a couple days after launch so the early high load argument is no good, and i also spent a fair bit of time there, its where i went from a 20 something slot ship to max slots, so its not like i was temporarily offline, or their servers were temporarily offline because i logged into that system over a couple days and did naming of stuff along the way and when i went back there, all gone.

i just uninstalled NMS done, at this point i do believe refunds should be permitted, but im not mad or anything that they denied it. i get that they need to have rules in place about that sort of thing.

Petesalzl on
  • Options
    Oh yeah, I only have the Lv1 pass too. Forgot about that. I can't imagine there's anything worth while behind those lv3 doors now, though. Maybe rare resources?

• Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Also I still only have Level 1 Atlas Pass. That is kinda annoying.

You need to find the recipes for v2 and v3 in manufacturing facilities (the places with the steel doors that you need to destroy).

Muffinatron on
    PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    Well hey, there's an objective for me! Might as well work my way to a V3 pass. Unless you can only get a v3 pass from the Atlas path?

• Options
    Well hey, there's an objective for me! Might as well work my way to a V3 pass. Unless you can only get a v3 pass from the Atlas path?

Nope. Plus you'll be farming a lot of those manufacturing facilities as they give you repeat recipes as well.

• Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular

Nope, manufacturing facilities anywhere.

Last thing I needed to discover on my play through, along with all of the Alloy recipes which you'll also get from there.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    The atlas passes have become my white whale. It's bothering me to an inordinate degree that I can't find them. Of course, I've gained so much wealth and equipment while searching for them that it's almost certain that they will be practically useless by the time I obtain them.

Finding it increasingly difficult to remain positive about this game. One recent change that's helped though is being able to see wildlife without landing; I can just fly down and do a quick scope out to see if there' something truly interesting without having to bother with refueling etc.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    I haven't done the Atlas path, and I have every blueprint in the game (including "starting" gear), save for the V3 Atlas Path.

I still need to: Max out the creatures found, destroy all the ships, jump through all the hoops star systems, and find an extreme planet to survive on, as well as learning the entire Gek and Vy'keen language, and upgrade my ship to 48 slots. Also, Atlas path and path to the Center.

And between here and there lies a whole bunch of planets to see.

Kalnaur on
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    So I looked up what's in the center of the galaxy, and I'm glad I did, because now I don't need to care about getting there. In fact, removing that seemingly far-off grindy carrot from consideration has re-invigorated my interest in the game, because now I don't feel an oppressive requirement to chase efficiency. I can now just load the game up for an hour, browse through 5 or 6 planets at my leisure, and sign off.

I'll still meander my way towards the center, if only to perhaps run into other people's discoveries a little more often, but otherwise I'm in pure explore-em-up mode. Last night my best find was a pink-ish planet with rippling fields of multi-coloured grass, and these massive, hollow square formations. I managed to park on top of one, and just enjoyed a storm rolling and watching the waves of air moving through the grass.

Starting to wish instead of shoe-horning in the mining/crafting/survival aspects, the game had just leaned super hard into exploration instead. Provide some in game tools for taking and uploading better screenshots and short animated gifs. A better map interface that could meaningfully show your traversal through the galaxy. That sort of thing.

• Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    I'm still missing the level 2 health upgrade, which is really irritating me.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    One recent change that's helped though is being able to see wildlife without landing; I can just fly down and do a quick scope out to see if there' something truly interesting without having to bother with refueling etc.
    Say whaaaaaat? Is this in the experimental branch or something?

I'm also thinking that the next ship I find that looks really cool (and has its modules laid out well for upgrading*) is gonna be the one I finally install all the jump drive upgrades in. I've accumulated almost everything needed for theta.
    Whaaaaaat there are omega upgrades???

(Yeah, I still haven't been to anything except yellow stars, I think.)

* I know this has been linked before, but in case anybody missed it: the way you link your upgrades affects how much they're improved. Which reaches in and grabs the parts of my brain that light up at the sight of LEGOs.

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    Ebola ColaEbola Cola Registered User regular
    Having finished Euclid, NMS feels like two incomplete games awkwardly pushed together.

Getting the v2/v3 Atlas pass, probably not a spoiler:
    I actually got both from random NPC encounters, with no special text or requirements, but you can get them from turning in milestones to Polo instead of farming manufacturing facilities/operations centers. They aren't worth it.

But the two games idea (totally huge semi-conspiratorial spoilers here):
    There's an interactive(ish) fiction game, found in a combination of alien plaques/monoliths/ruins, "long-dead traveler" logs and things said by Atlas and Nada. The plot seems to be: Atlas is a computer created to simulate a galaxy, and the sentinels are its creation to debug that simulation. The Atlas Stones/stations and birthing stars are there to combat entropy (or something like that?). But while Atlas is aware of the simulation, it can't see the galaxy itself; it needs the Traveler (who it predicts will eventually arrive given infinite time?) to experience the galaxy and report. It tells the Korvax and Vy'keen about the Traveler (and the Korvax get the Gek to follow), but doesn't reveal the nature of the sentinels because that would be telling the simulated aliens that they're in a simulation. There is text (not implemented, I think?) where this an "end" path in the game: Atlas reveals your purpose to you, and you can either refuse it or unite with it. If you refuse to take a stone, or possibly to turn them in?, the text it gives you (still in the game, apparently) is that you refuse to "unmake the universe." Which is never a thing either way.

In the files (although I didn't see it in game, the text was datamined and put online), at the beginning you receive the message "Traveller. You are controlled. Take gift of Warp. Seek us. Seek Nada and Polo." So Nada and Polo are (or were) against Atlas, aware that they are in a simulation, able to speak the unique language of the Traveler, and ultimately Nada directs you to escape. The Traveler even knows that there appears to be a choice: either Atlas or Nada and Polo, but not both (that text does still appear). Through text logs and exploration, the Traveler becomes more and more aware of the simulation, giving data to Nada and Polo to prove it. The logs in ruined buildings talk of the sentinels being part organic, of a sentient glass planet, of the Traveler realizing that they're stuck in a cycle, and a bunch of other weird sci-fi encounters that would be 100% great if they were more than a paragraph of text. In the game-you-play, your "final" encounter at the Space Anomaly (which repeats even after Euclid, or it does for me) has Nada telling you to finally escape the simulation by finding the center. "The galaxy is a spiderweb, but who or what is the spider?" I assume Atlas, but I never saw it again after the 11th station and turning in the stones.

The second game is the one you play, explore and ultimately never get a roll-credits ending for. You can simultaneously follow both Atlas and Nada, because Nada will always offer to send you back to Atlas for some reason, you collect 10 stones and turn them in (for nothing, basically), you fight sentinels and get some titanium and a keg, and then you hit the center and... next galaxy. When you click the sphere/beacon at your crashed ship in Hilbert, there might be a way to see text that acknowledges that you're in a simulation:
    I have been here before. Perhaps not in this place, on this world, but in this situation. Yet something feels very different. This galaxy is freshly-birthed, and very few have been here before me.

I didn't see that, though. I didn't see any of the datamined text that suggests that the game has a plot that can be resolved. I got the exact "request made without words" text as the first time I loaded the game. I reloaded a save to before hitting the center, bought 10 Atlas stones and collected one of each race's collectable item (Vy'keen sentinel thing, Korvax casing, Gek Relic), and hit the center again... nothing. No acknowledgement that I had seen it all and done it all, and even spent my units to do some of it again. The text leads you to maybe believe that there's an actual mystery in this game, but the only mystery to me is: why should anyone bother playing to the non-end? Sean Murray wrote, just before release: "maybe isn’t the game you *imagined* from those trailers," citing multiplayer PVP and civilization building - which I, for one, never imagined from the trailers at all, so I assumed he wasn't talking to me. But then it turned out that it really isn't anything not-imagined from the trailers and it also isn't the game I imagined from the game, so A++, would be marketed to again.

When I deleted my save to start fresh, thinking possibly patches had at least changed the start, I still only received the second message from Nada and Polo, which says "...once again sent by whoever Nada and Polo are." Refusing Atlas at the ship beacon didn't change that. The first NPC I find either has a random bark or gives me the second message, depending on how much of my ship is fixed.

In my actual play-through, I chose the Atlas path at the start and never refused at a station. Maybe that means I played it wrong. Maybe in a game without directions, quests or plot, I somehow still failed. If anyone finished Euclid without ever doing the Atlas path - refusing at the start, never going back via Nada - I'd like to know if the ending is different. Or maybe the ending was rewritten at the last minute for the zero-day patch, and HG decided to never give players a sense of closure (or anything like it) because then they might stop playing through trillions of identical planets and there goes any pay DLC opportunities.

When No Man's Sky was announced, I assumed it would die in development. I specifically didn't follow the hype, which I thought would end in disappointment when HG inevitably went out of business. But I watched the two demo videos (that are still on the Steam store) and I thought it was cool when 65dos was announced for the OST. But what I saw - the digital equivalent to walking into a store and looking at a box - isn't the game I played or heard. It wasn't hype, it wasn't promises in interviews I didn't read or see. It was right there, on Steam and GoG.

I don't blame people who want to refund, but I don't. I had fun. Or it's a sunk-cost fallacy, and I've talked myself into believing I had fun because I know I'll never get a refund (at least not on my time). :bzz:

• Options
    @Ebola Cola that all sounds super intriguing and it sucks that it left you dissatisfied.

Regarding the datamined text:
    Is it possible some of it is the stuff the Atlas says to you? That would mean you wouldn't "see" it unless you'd learned the Atlas words.

Regarding the center:
    Do you get to keep the words you learned? It sounds like you get to keep everything, sorta, but all I care about are the words. If I get to keep those I'll probably work my way to the center sooner.