Options

This Presidential Election is no Forza Horizon 3

• Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Gyral wrote: »
    Obama mike-drops Trump on Kimmel's Mean Tweets.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvgnOqcCYCM
    @realDonaldTrump: "President Obama will go down as perhaps the worst president in the history of the United States!"

To that Obama responded, "Hey, @realDonaldTrump, at least I will go down as a president."

The stare he gives the camera at the end is truly awesome.

I read a speech of his this morning in which he called out a Republican seeking re-election who has released a pamphlet detailing all the stuff he "cooperated" with Obama on, in which he absolutely destroyed the guy for not only systematically undermining everything he was doing, but also claiming he "wasn't sure" when asked if Donald Trump's allegations that he wasn't born in the US were true.

No fucks given Obama is glorious!

Darrel Issa, who is such a shit heel he deserved the personal shout out.

That was it! I'm afraid I didn't absorb the name. I get plenty of information on your presidential and vice presidential candidates, but when it comes to your senators and governors and so on I'm an awful lot fuzzier on the details. It's mostly what I see in these threads and the occasional scandal big enough to cause a splash over our side of the pond.

In other news, Flint's water is STILL poisoned with lead. WTF people?! What the actual fuck?!

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    my polling place uses a supersized ballot over a light box with buttons under it

Scantrons all up in here. It's like being in 4th grade again.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Pen, paper and scantron.
    Voting machines seem like a conspiracy to get the govt to spend money on shit it doesn't need.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    It'd be great if we had secure voting machines because I imagine counting hand ballots is a less than fun process. It'd be even better if we could vote online!

Will we ever be able to do that securely and in a way everyone agrees works? Probably not!

There's no need to hand count them. My entire life voting has been filling in a circle with a marker. it's read into a machine and machine counted. For close races they can be hand counted quickly, but it's really easy to machine count.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Tenek wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »
    I'm not loading infowars, but people make these complaints because of improperly calibrated touchscreens every election. Maybe we should just stop using them.

I read the article and the complaint seems to be that people are clicking "Vote all Republican" and then when they scroll down they see that its auto-voted for all republicans except that Clinton is voted for instead of Trump

Its not just one report, either, so its sounding like an issue.

That being said, I'd be surprised if it was anything other than the fact that the Clinton/Trump choice is just in a bad spot for the scrolling controls and causing the switch accidentally when people are scrolling down.

The noted Democratic stronghold of Texas is rigging the election to give Hillary a superfluous state without offering any benefit downballot.

Are you absolutely sure this is a real issue?

Yes, if people's votes are being miscast its a real issue.

Note that I said I don't think its rigging, but instead a problem with the touchscreen controls.

But still a problem/issue because people should have their votes cast correctly.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    I just got done early voting in Texas. Obviously there may be different procedures at different polling places but we didn't even HAVE machines at the courthouse, we had a scantron-esque ballot. Also, ballotpedia was not particularly helpful getting me information about the various (many) races this election so straight-ticket it is.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/302649-trump-claims-he-was-endorsed-conceptually-by-military
    In an interview with Florida's WJXT-TV, Trump touted his endorsement from the national Fraternal Order of Police as well as other groups and organizations.

"We had a fantastic meeting with the folks, [a] pretty large group of folks, and they’re very upset about the way they’re being treated, and I understand that fully," Trump said.

"And they’ve endorsed me, endorsed me fully. I’ve been endorsed by virtually every police department and police group. And I’ve been endorsed largely, conceptually at least, by the military and by the vets," he continued.

A conceptual endorsement. Okay then.

• Options
    ahahah wtf is a conceptual endorsement?

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Texas Dems can barely even run candidates. I am highly skeptical of rigging the vote.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Yea there were at least six local races where there was only one candidate. One guess which party monopolized those races.

Ilpala on
    FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »

The best kind of endorsement. The tremendous kind of endorsement, you wouldn't believe how tremendous.

The one thing I hate the most about this election - and God knows there's a huge amount to hate - is that it's going to take years to get Trump's manner of speech out of my head.

• Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited October 2016

This reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from FONV:
    "Do you have a degree in theoretical physics?"

"Well, I've got a theoretical degree in physics."

Duffel on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Yeah, most of the emails I read were pretty tame to what I've seen in the private sector. Like 17 years in Marketing for the insurance industry and the last 10 as a part of a Forbes 100 company and I've seen some people write brutally scathing shit that would be awful if it ever got public. Like, the kind of stuff that people should be forced to read in public to drive home how awful this stuff sounds out loud.

Like, a person was promoted to VP via crony-ism and created a team where their whole purpose was to steal other teams projects and try to rush them out before them to get all the credit. The emails I got copied on were... both troubling and hilarious.
    You work for Veridian Dynamics?
    moniker wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I remain unconvinced that 41% of the people in that poll literally think Hillary is Satan, versus them being metaphorical, or just having funsies.

If I answered a survey that asked if Trump was the devil, I would be strongly tempted to say yes.

Given the outsized proportion of Evangelicals in the subgroup of self identified Republicans, and after talking about weird stuff that friends grew up with on the far side of Christianity...I honestly don't know.

Side note, some of you Protestants are weird. Like the Church has its oddities, but damn.

I like being a weird Protestant. Somebody needs to be covertly liberal, slowly converting the younger ranks of the church towards progressive thinking.

Really though, I think the Protestants that are voting against helping people, radical love, acceptance, and voting for being wildly judgmental against genders, nationalities, ethnicities and sexual orientations are the ones that are weird. If you're a Christian and you vote for Trump you don't really get it, IMO.

On the one hand, Christians tend to get all No True Scotsman whenever the myriad different flavors and personal interpretations of Christianity collide. On the other hand Trump hasn't done much to convince me he's any sort of Scotsman.

Panda4You wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    This is the fucking nominee, it's not fringe.

The Republican party and nominee are where they are because they are only listening to their fringe. It's a sham of a party right now that does not represent the right that I know. And I'm from Alabama.

The only people on the right that I know irl that are gonna vote Trump think it's a necessary evil because of the Supreme Court nominations. The majority of them are not gonna vote Trump at all. I haven't heard from a single person irl on the right who is cool with the rhetoric from Trump.

And yet the vast majority of Republicans and Republican Leaning Independents will be voting/have voted for Trump.

Man the supreme court nominations thing pisses me right the hell off too. THAT'S NOT EVEN HOW IT'S SUPPOSED TO WORK, JUST GO CONFIRM GARLAND LIKE AN ACTUAL LEGITIMATE GOVERNMENT WOULD.

I can only pray the fivethirtyeight forecast is right and we take the senate, because it is about damn time the GOP reaps what they've sown.
    If that would happen, wouldn't it be better to nominate an actual liberal rather than this Garland guy?

It's been a long ass time since Garland was the new news item, but if I recall most analysis showed he'd be the most left of the right of center judges and generally a decent person and pick. Considering that seat had been Scalia, it's a vast improvement. I believe diversity of thought is important, so I don't really have any problem with the nom.
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    The discussion going on here about incitement to violence / what provocation should mean to non-gooses is super important, but let's not forget that the only reason it's even a topic in this thread is because of a badly edited video made by a known liar with a well advertised agenda of damaging liberal causes through lying who cannot produce a shred of evidence that anything he's alleged is the truth, despite the media - who have been burned by this asshole's lies before - pointing out that if what he says is true then he should already have the evidence to hand and should have no problem releasing it.

The duck is a lie, is what I'm saying here.

I would actually say that the reason we're having this conversation is the absolutely unconscionable amount of violence at Trump rallies over the past year or so.

Even if people want to take the position that those being assaulted held some degree of responsibility for it (i.e. "they were asking for it", I'll let that sink in), the fact remains that violence can be found relatively easily by going to a Trump rally and nonviolently being a non-Trump supporter. Even the O'keefe video, chopped up lie-storm that it is, tacitly acknowledges this. The plan isn't "go to a Trump rally and throw down", it's "go to Trump rally in Duck-face, get beaten up." Because some troubling percentage of Trump supporters are ready to bring violence to the political discourse at the drop of a red "Make America Great Again" hat.

Hell, even showing up to a Trump rally as a reporter is inciting violence.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular

I think of the endorsement, therefore it is?

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I remember when e-voting was a concern over a decade ago. I guess now that the republican might lose it's now a real issue.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Tenek wrote: »
    I'm not loading infowars, but people make these complaints because of improperly calibrated touchscreens every election. Maybe we should just stop using them.

I read the article and the complaint seems to be that people are clicking "Vote all Republican" and then when they scroll down they see that its auto-voted for all republicans except that Clinton is voted for instead of Trump

Its not just one report, either, so its sounding like an issue.

That being said, I'd be surprised if it was anything other than the fact that the Clinton/Trump choice is just in a bad spot for the scrolling controls and causing the switch accidentally when people are scrolling down.

The noted Democratic stronghold of Texas is rigging the election to give Hillary a superfluous state without offering any benefit downballot.

Are you absolutely sure this is a real issue?

Yes, if people's votes are being miscast its a real issue.

Note that I said I don't think its rigging, but instead a problem with the touchscreen controls.

But still a problem/issue because people should have their votes cast correctly.

I understand your point of "yes, if this is true it is a real thing to be concerned about" but it is not worth considering whether O'Keefe/Infowars/Antivaxxers/9-11 truthers are actually correct! The answer is going to be "no, not without serious proof from credible organizations."

It is not worth the cognitive load and guaranteed misrepresentation to consider "what if Alex Jones got a real scoop on voter fraud in between screaming about his big, hot, fast heart and how Clinton literally smells like sulfur and has goat hooves?"

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    it's amazing someone can't just say 'hey provoking violence kind of sucks' without being told they're blaming the victim or that they are anti civil rights

the law was never mentioned, rights were never mentioned, no one was forgiven for their reactions.

this also isn't an oppressed group trying to get their oppressors brought to justice. it simply isn't.

I must be missing something because I still am not understanding where the conspiracy to provoke violence is. You and Obi seem to be making claims based on facts not in evidence.

A dude is dressing up as Donald Duck and standing around with a sign calling on Trump to release his tax records. That isn't shouting epithets at people or condemning anyone other than the specific candidate for public office. How is that an incitement to violence? Because I agree with you, incitements to violence are deplorable and should not be engaged in. Hillary and the DNC did not engage in incitement/provocations to violence with Donald Duck. So...where is the disconnect?

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Texas Dems can barely even run candidates. I am highly skeptical of rigging the vote.

I've been trying to research all the downrace choices for early voting and holy crap yep. At least one of the "democrats" is actually a republican who switched parties in order to get past the primary unopposed, I guess? Seems like a mistake though since a lot of people will be voting straight republican. Maybe it's a strategy for Republican votes who are voting straight democrat this year in a stab at Trump supporters.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    It should be noted that there were similar issues in Philadelphia in 2012. We had a couple of precincts where the drivers/volunteers that hit the polls early so they could do their thing for the rest of the day noticed that Romney was already selected for them in the Presidential race. I don't know how it got resolved, but it seemed like a matter of user error combined with interface issues, and we just made sure to tell everyone we took there that it needed double checked before commiting the ballot.

I'm not a huge fan of electronic voting machines, but malice/incompetence razors and all that.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    There is zero reasons to believe an infowars article. Like it could say the sky is blue and I'd still seek corroboration from an actual source.

Like now I have to wonder if Texas even has early voting.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Ilpala wrote: »
    I just got done early voting in Texas. Obviously there may be different procedures at different polling places but we didn't even HAVE machines at the courthouse, we had a scantron-esque ballot. Also, ballotpedia was not particularly helpful getting me information about the various (many) races this election so straight-ticket it is.

Elections are generally run at the county (or home rule municipality) level. Because only having to coordinate 1 or 51 systems is too easy.

And, seriously, ScanTron a paper ballot with pen. It solves all technical problems aside from ballot graphic design.

• Options
    There is zero reasons to believe an infowars article. Like it could say the sky is blue and I'd still seek corroboration from an actual source.

Like now I have to wonder if Texas even has early voting.

Depending on the time of day the sky is orange.

Liberal media lies.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »
    Yea there were at least six local races where there was only one candidate. One guess which party monopolized those races.

When I lived in East Texas, 90% of the races were contested. But not by Dems. The options were "Republican" and "Libertarian". There may have been a couple where there the non-national races had more Green candidates than Democrats.

What I'm trying to say is I want Clinton to do well to get more resources into the state.

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    If they aren't just being their crazypants selves, Infowars is hedging against a Clinton landslide where even Texas flips. Then they end up looking prophetic.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular

Ya those touch screen things seem pretty dubious.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    In my precinct in Texas at least the last couple elections they don't use touch screens but instead this weird dial thing and a button to select people.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    In my precinct in Texas at least the last couple elections they don't use touch screens but instead this weird dial thing and a button to select people.
    the dial wheel is so weird
    i swear they make weird vote tools just to fuck with votes

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    the dial wheel is so weird
    i swear they make weird vote tools just to fuck with votes

Fuckin' chads, man.

Fuckin' chads.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Next election's voting machines:
    bop-it.jpg

ObiFett on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Obama mike-drops Trump on Kimmel's Mean Tweets.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvgnOqcCYCM
    @realDonaldTrump: "President Obama will go down as perhaps the worst president in the history of the United States!"

To that Obama responded, "Hey, @realDonaldTrump, at least I will go down as a president."

The stare he gives the camera at the end is truly awesome.

I read a speech of his this morning in which he called out a Republican seeking re-election who has released a pamphlet detailing all the stuff he "cooperated" with Obama on, in which he absolutely destroyed the guy for not only systematically undermining everything he was doing, but also claiming he "wasn't sure" when asked if Donald Trump's allegations that he wasn't born in the US were true.

No fucks given Obama is glorious!

Darrel Issa, who is such a shit heel he deserved the personal shout out.

That was it! I'm afraid I didn't absorb the name. I get plenty of information on your presidential and vice presidential candidates, but when it comes to your senators and governors and so on I'm an awful lot fuzzier on the details. It's mostly what I see in these threads and the occasional scandal big enough to cause a splash over our side of the pond.

In other news, Flint's water is STILL poisoned with lead. WTF people?! What the actual fuck?!

Michigan is a good example of what a "political outsider/business man" presidency might have looked like. Snyder runs the state like a business - when stuff goes wrong cover it up and lie through your teeth until you can't lie anymore, then stall with scapegoats until people are so glad you did anything that you can get off doing a fraction the work.

Right now we're in the scapegoat phase - whistleblowers and unrelated workers are being prosecuted all over the place. Meanwhile all that money Flint was supposed to get lost a zero and half of it went to other cities because fuck you that's why.

Hevach on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Fucking dial wheels to select candidates? Touchscreens?

I again say: You guys fucking suck at democracy.

I have no idea why you make all this so complicated and full of fiddly widget bullshit.

We still love you though.

shryke on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

I have no idea why you make all this so complicated.

Because we have a sub set of our elected officials who want to make it hard to do to discourage people from doing it.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular

Because we have a sub set of our elected officials who want to make it hard to do to discourage people from doing it.

And it doesn't help that everything is made by the lowest bidder. Considering how well that policy is working out, we're lucky our voting machines don't catch fire if they take off without sufficient tailwind.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I can't wait for Trump's conceptual victory speech on Election Night

• Options

I think it's more simple than that.
    Companies want to sell some new fangled whos'a'whatsit for voting so they make up bullshit about how it'll be faster, cost less in the long run, etc... and then it happens over and over again.

• Options
    Conceptual Presidential Election thread 2016?

• Options

I think it's more simple than that.
    Companies want to sell some new fangled whos'a'whatsit for voting so they make up bullshit about how it'll be faster, cost less in the long run, etc... and then it happens over and over again.

And then they promise a politician or two that they'll get an executive chair somewhere after their term is up if they'll shill for them to get the contract

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

I have no idea why you make all this so complicated and full of fiddly widget bullshit.

because powerful people are incentivized to make voting hard

that's literally always the answer to any of these questions

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    This is how elections are actually rigged. It's the voting officials you have to watch for. Especially Republicans in Wisconsin.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular

It's complicated because there are so many things to vote for. The methods are less terrible when everyone's voting for two dozen people at all levels of government plus a bunch of ballot initiatives.

This discussion has been closed.