Options

[Marvel MCU] thread wrapped up tight in some kinda web...

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    Except Luke has had every opportunity to be just as big a dirtbag. And, with superpowers, he could've easily done so. But, as his appearance on Jessica Jones even showed, Luke generally actively chooses the higher ground.

There was a lot of work toward Luke accepting Great Responsibility here. He even accepts the truth of how horrible his father was. But the one thing he chooses not to accept responsibility for, and rightly so, is the actions and choices of another man whose sole legacy is destruction and violence.

Except Luke also had more opportunities to not be a dirtbag.

A rich person has the opportunity to turn to crime but since they're rich, they also have the resources to not turn to crime. Compare that to a poor person, who lacks those resources and are often faced with situations where they either have to turn to crime or starve, get beaten, maybe even die.

Yes, Luke can misuse his super powers but hey, they're super powers! They're a huge resource that can be used to earn money legitimately.
    Road Block wrote: »
    The series is pretty sympathetic to people who were screwed over by the system in general. But really what do you do with someone like Diamondback?

I mean really what could Luke have done? Apologise for being born?

Don't write Diamondback as an insane thug with no redeeming qualities. If they actually wanted to play the character seriously, then write him with some depth and nuance.

Ok then slot in someone like Fisk into the role. Similar kind of fucked up background but with depth, nuance and redeeming qualities.

Luke still wouldn't be responsible for him. Brother or not.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    May as well make excuses for Cottonmouth, too.

Yeah, Diamonback was a bad guy. They happen.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Considering the issue of high black incarceration rates and the "thug" image so often perpetuated by the media, is that the message that they want the show to be about? That it's not broken families, unfair treatment by society, unjust imprisonment, and a society that doesn't give second chances that turn people bad, it's actually a lack of "personal responsibility" or some kind of internal flaw that makes people bad.

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    If Diamondback isn't a caricature then they screwed up royally.
    We learn that Willis Stryker is the illegitimate child of Luke/Carl's father and he was treated like crap because of it. He never had the love, respect, or even acknowledgement of his father. After he stole a car with Luke, he went to juvie while Luke's father used his influence to give Luke a second chance by letting him join the marines. Willis killed someone in self defense in juvie and was sent to do hard time in prison. All the while, his father abandoned his mother and she died penniless and alone. Willis became Diamondback because of the terrible circumstance of his life. And instead of addressing the issue of their disparate upbringings, what was the final message of the show? "Am I my brothers keeper, no I'm not."

That's kind of a terrible message. Luke, the son of a rich and powerful pastor, who had a life of privilege and was given a second chance, washing his hands of his half brother, who was born of the indiscretions of his father and became a criminal because of the terrible way he was treated by the system and his own father.
    Luke repeatedly tried to do right by Diamondback, by telling him to calm down and be friends - despite when he showed up his actions would be ok to tell DB to fuck off. Every time DB insulted him, then tried to kill and frame him. You can't compromise with crazy, and DB is a certified super-villain.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    Except Luke has had every opportunity to be just as big a dirtbag. And, with superpowers, he could've easily done so. But, as his appearance on Jessica Jones even showed, Luke generally actively chooses the higher ground.

There was a lot of work toward Luke accepting Great Responsibility here. He even accepts the truth of how horrible his father was. But the one thing he chooses not to accept responsibility for, and rightly so, is the actions and choices of another man whose sole legacy is destruction and violence.

Except Luke also had more opportunities to not be a dirtbag.

A rich person has the opportunity to turn to crime but since they're rich, they also have the resources to not turn to crime. Compare that to a poor person, who lacks those resources and are often faced with situations where they either have to turn to crime or starve, get beaten, maybe even die.

Yes, Luke can misuse his super powers but hey, they're super powers! They're a huge resource that can be used to earn money legitimately.
    Luke was in the same situation as DB, when he went to Seagate. Even before he got super powers he refused to become what Diamondback was, and he had the guards and staff trying to extort, manipulate and hurt him.

• Options
    Considering the issue of high black incarceration rates and the "thug" image so often perpetuated by the media, is that the message that they want the show to be about? That it's not broken families, unfair treatment by society, unjust imprisonment, and a society that doesn't give second chances that turn people bad, it's actually a lack of "personal responsibility" or some kind of internal flaw that makes people bad.

I haven't watched the whole show yet, but from what I've seen it's a message for the black community to get away from that into productive members of society, like every other demographic. Which is a good message to send. Ignoring the "thug" image would be the elephant in the room on the show for that. It's up front about it too - contrast Luke with Cottonmouth and
    Diamondback.

• Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Crossposting from the Dr. Strange thread:

This was a good movie.

big spoilers below
    The final act was really cool. The fighting in Hong Kong while the destroyed city was going back to normal in reverse was really creative. And the way he beat Dormammu...I was half expecting it to be a DBZ-style beam war, but making the Master of the Dark Dimension become essentially trapped by physical laws that weren't in his reality was pretty cool.

Also, was I the only one expecting Strange to attempt to use the Eye to reverse the damage to his hands?

A few of the jokes fell a bit flat for me, but it's still got some quite funny bits. Usually brick jokes.

I'd give it 7.5 or 8 out of 10.

Warcry on
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Warcry wrote: »
    Crossposting from the Dr. Strange thread:

This was a good movie.

big spoilers below
    The final act was really cool. The fighting in Hong Kong while the destroyed city was going back to normal in reverse was really creative. And the way he beat Dormammu...I was half expecting it to be a DBZ-style beam war, but making the Master of the Dark Dimension become essentially trapped by physical laws that weren't in his reality was pretty cool.

Also, was I the only one expecting Strange to attempt to use the Eye to reverse the damage to his hands?

A few of the jokes fell a bit flat for me, but it's still got some quite funny bits. Usually brick jokes.

I'd give it 7.5 or 8 out of 10.

Why? There's a dedicated thread and it's not even out in the US for the better part of a week. I don't know about others but I reflexively click spoiler tags in threads I'm not expecting spoilers in, so dropping them in this thread that has multiple discussions kind of sucks IMO.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Okay, but they actually addressed every single one of those issues in the show already. Almost entirely before Diamondback even shows up.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I think more thought is being applied to the characters by posters here than the writers bothered with.

Otherwise the characters wouldn't have all been so terrible. Diamondback is the peak of that.

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Scrotie McCaptainAmericanballs

• Options
    Blarfgh!

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Yeah hey, NO DOCTOR STRANGE SPOILERS OF ANY SORT IN HERE, there's a whole GST for that stuff.

People who want a place to say "oh damn I am so hype" or whatever are welcome, so they don't have to go to a thread that could wreck things for them. But no spoilers at all, please.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    May as well make excuses for Cottonmouth, too.

Yeah, Diamonback was a bad guy. They happen.

But Cottonmouth had a reason to be the bad guy. He was raised to be that, even though he didn't want to be at first. We saw what made him the villain and he was interesting as this guy who was already losing his power but still trying to keep it. Diamondback, however, was hyped up as this genius criminal kingpin to be feared and we never saw that at all. Just some little boy with daddy issues.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    Was there an in reason universe for him to be even called Diamondback?

Or much like Shades did he just wear a jacket with a diamond on the back one day?

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    I think it has something to do with the whole gang. Like everyone just decided to use Snakes as code-names. There is probably Cobra, Rattlesnake, and Garden floating around somewhere.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Diamondback
    His Hammer-tech suit had a diamond on its back for the last fight. Otherwise, it was just a reference to the Vipers, the gang these guys were in with Luke in the comics.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I think more thought is being applied to the characters by posters here than the writers bothered with.

Otherwise the characters wouldn't have all been so terrible. Diamondback is the peak of that.

I highly doubt that. The writers left clues in the show (Such as the book in Cage's room and the discussion about novels in the barber shop), and multiple people have come up with similar conclusions about the character other than "I don't get it".

This is probably the only MCU product with a reading list.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I think it has something to do with the whole gang. Like everyone just decided to use Snakes as code-names. There is probably Cobra, Rattlesnake, and Garden floating around somewhere.

Down somewhere I'm sure there are Drain, Solid, and Trouser.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Next season villain:
    14-Blackadder.jpg

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular

your name is trousersnake. couldn't i be doctor mckillshot? no, trouser snake it is!

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    2 eps left of Luke Cage now.

I def like it better than Daredevil on the merit of actually liking Cage vs hating Matt.

Although the handling of Misty was straight up bad and stupid.
    Don't make a character who is supposed to excel at seeing things others don't and solving crimes only to have her ignore blatant evidence for shaky evidence. That was just nonsensical there. They even had her say that Luke had an alibi. AND THEN THE CRAZY DUDE ATTACKED THE PLACE STRENGTHENING THAT ALIBI THAT SHE WAS ALREADY GOING TO BELIEVE. And then she was ready to do a 180 because they found a glove in a trash can? Like... even a normal detective wouldn't be swayed that easily let alone a supposed super talented sees the truth character. Really have no idea what they were trying to do with that but it completely ruined her character for me.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »

your name is trousersnake. couldn't i be doctor mckillshot? no, trouser snake it is!

It's Fumbles. It was always Fumbles.

• Options

A Luke Cage character? Already off on a bad foot.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    With one ep to go, I think I liked Jessica Jones Cage a lot better than Luke Cage Cage.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    He was a better character on Jones, yeah.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Luke Cage had the best atmosphere and setting, but the worst plot.

• Options
    The one issue I've had with every Netflix series (and I've enjoyed them all, even Cage) is that they start out exploring some really interesting themes, and then midway through they abandon them in favor of generic superhero antics.

They came back around again in Jessica Jones, and mostly so in DD1, but DD2 and (it looks like) Cage they never quite recover.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Marvel Crate arrived! It's Doc Strange this month ( was probably a given)

Shirt!
    cwm2fkq5zzqf.jpg

Mug
    qwsdihr51gaj.jpg

Figure
    Levitating Astral Form!
    3oexmmdkz9av.jpg

and also had the newer #1 of Sorcerer Supreme with a variant cover, and the usual pins/badges/fluff

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    The one issue I've had with every Netflix series (and I've enjoyed them all, even Cage) is that they start out exploring some really interesting themes, and then midway through they abandon them in favor of generic superhero antics.

They came back around again in Jessica Jones, and mostly so in DD1, but DD2 and (it looks like) Cage they never quite recover.

DD1 is pretty much solid throughout, it has a strong hero and a strong villain with a lot of strong side characters like Nobu. DD2 went downhill once Punisher was out though. And even when he was back it was crap because it was too busy setting up his series.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Given the cool fight sequences we've seen to date, I can't wait to see what they do with 4 heroes in the fray at once.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I can't be the only one sick of Puyo Pop and other vinyl figures. I don't get why people like them, but to each their own.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'm not a fan, and they've grown to consume both sides of an entire multi-shelving unit section of a local comic shop with no end in sight. I'm scared.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    Given the cool fight sequences we've seen to date, I can't wait to see what they do with 4 heroes in the fray at once.

I just hope they get Luke to do more than
    stand there and get shot, then lumber around throwing people.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Forar wrote: »

I just hope they get Luke to do more than
    stand there and get shot, then lumber around throwing people.

I'm sure he will also
    stand there and get stabbed, then lumber around throwing people

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Well, he did some sloppy boxing in the final fight

I imagine, if he's fighting undead ninja or other definitely-not-redeemable-people enemies, he's just gonna start kick-punching tits right off of people

• Options
    I finally finished Luke Cage.

That final fight was fucking awful. The rest of the episode was fine, and I liked how a lot of it ended up, but Christ.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Well hot damn Marvel.

Dr Strange has made $122 million overseas its first week.

It hasn't even opened in America or China yet.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Doctor Strange was a great time. Like I have no complaints and don't know what else to say.

Which is a huge compliment.

steam_sig.png