Options

[Marvel MCU] thread wrapped up tight in some kinda web...

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Well hot damn Marvel.

Dr Strange has made $122 million overseas its first week.

It hasn't even opened in America or China yet.

It opened today, and ticket sales have been up for a while, but I don't know if they only count sales on the same day even if they're bought well in advance of the release.

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Doctor Strange was rull good

I'm glad it's doing well!

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Well hot damn Marvel.

Or Canada!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    My theater isn't doing a midnight showing... because they don't think they will make enough money...

IT'S A MARVEL MOVIE! IT PRINTS IT'S OWN GOD DAMN MONEY!

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Finished Luke Cage.

Stacey's official netflix marvel rankings:

1) Punisher stuff from DD2
    2) Luke Cage (last fight and Misty stuff was bad but rest I liked a lot)
    3) Jessica Jones
    4) DD1
    5) DD2 without Punisher

Gonna see Dr. Strange tonight!

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Finished Luke Cage.

Stacey's official netflix marvel rankings:

1) Punisher stuff from DD2
    2) Luke Cage (last fight and Misty stuff was bad but rest I liked a lot)
    3) Jessica Jones
    4) DD1
    5) DD2 without Punisher

Gonna see Dr. Strange tonight!

I approve of this message.

Although I actually think I prefer DD to JJ for rewatches. That series is rough.

Giggles_Funsworth on
  • Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Am i the only one that really loved DD s02?
    I thought the whole thing right up until the last fight was great stuff. I really liked Elektra.

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    I thought the whole thing right up until the last fight was great stuff. I really liked Elektra.

I really depends on how big you are on ninjas (and the law of conservation of ninjitsu). A lot of folks think that they are a lazy trope threat.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular

I really depends on how big you are on ninjas (and the law of conservation of ninjitsu). A lot of folks think that they are a lazy trope threat.

I don't really know why they'd be watching Daredevil then...

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

I don't really know why they'd be watching Daredevil then...

Season 1 had a truly acceptable ninja ratio. Season 2 just lost its collective ninja shit.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular

DD2 is fine, it's the people who rank Luke Cage anywhere in the top 4 that are insane.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I think the Hand and actual Hand ninjas could have stayed a sort of background "oh shit here they come" threat rather than becoming the generic mooks of the series.

At the same time, it is appropriate to the source;
    tumblr_m7sh2ljphv1rbxlg5o7_1280.jpeg

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    "...and what I do best is kill ninjas."

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I'm blind apparently.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Strange was good. Felt sufficiently like the Strange comics that my inner nerd was pleased. Not sure it will be remembered very fondly in a few years by the general public but I was happy.

Amazed:

Also I was amused at how blatant the "Guess where the extra scene for China will be inserted" bit was.

There's a separate thread for Dr Strange, and El Jeffe said no spoilers in here.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I think the Hand and actual Hand ninjas could have stayed a sort of background "oh shit here they come" threat rather than becoming the generic mooks of the series.

I disagree, the Hand could have been a great threat - unfortunately the show runners bungled the attempt.

edit: Elektra was a highlight in that storyline, despite the fact I didn't like
    making her a Black Sky, they should have kept her as a psychotic, bored rich girl.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    There's a separate thread for Dr Strange, and El Jeffe said no spoilers in here.

Totally missed that. Thanks for the heads up.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    "Strange" should probably be removed from the thread title.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

DD2 is fine, it's the people who rank Luke Cage anywhere in the top 4 that are insane.

Luke Cage > Matt Murdoch therefore his show is better.

I really fucking hate Matt as a character which makes watching a show about him a chore.

• Options

I really fucking hate Matt as a character which makes watching a show about him a chore.

Luke is a nicer person, who's less interesting. There are several people in his show who over shadow him in being engaging, Misty Knight being the best. Give her a tv show, Marvel. Just a detective solving crime in Harlem.

• Options

S1 Matt was awesome.
    S2 Matt was just a dick. Ans a dumb one, at that. They gave him a bad case of the "plots need you to be a jerk now".

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    @Dark Raven X @Jacobkosh

Could one of you change the thread title? Strange being in here but not something we can talk about is causing problems.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular

I disagree, the Hand could have been a great threat - unfortunately the show runners bungled the attempt.

making her a Black Sky, they should have kept her as a psychotic, bored rich girl.

I don't know that I said anything about whether the Hand could have been a great threat. Just that they went from existential threat (Nobu) to zombie/Nazi fodder in less than a season. The problem with ninjas is that once you see them they lose their power.

If we would have gotten Miller-esque cascades of Hand ninjas off of buildings that evaporated into the shadows once their targets got their bearings back, they would have been a lot better as a primary antagonist force.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    "Strange" should probably be removed from the thread title.

yeh, it was in there cause the thread is a general hype thread for the MCU, but I guess when each thing comes out it tends to get it's own discussion. Luke Cage was in here, but Strange isn't. The trend tends to be that each previous movie is up for discussion in here. So we talk about Civil War here now. ;P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited November 2016

I don't know that I said anything about whether the Hand could have been a great threat. Just that they went from existential threat (Nobu) to zombie/Nazi fodder in less than a season. The problem with ninjas is that once you see them they lose their power.

The problem wasn't the aesthetics, they did a good job there. It's the characterization, vague goals and being too mysterious as if they got off the island from Lost. The reason Fisk's gang was so beloved is that the writers gave them interesting personalities as well as intriguing goals. The Hand got neither in season 2.
    If we would have gotten Miller-esque cascades of Hand ninjas off of buildings that evaporated into the shadows once their targets got their bearings back, they would have been a lot better as a primary antagonist force.

Nah, that's why the Hand aren't so well defined in the comics. They're a supernatural hit squad with a gimmick, the best villains need good motivation and personalities. There was plenty of material there to do that, and they blew the opportunity. I think under DeKnight this wouldn't have happened, the Hand were excellent adversaries in season 1.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I'm very curious as to what the Hand has been up to.
    There's that giant pit and black sky people and all sorts of weird stuff. What're they doing with those old properties and the scary pit of doom? Some demon type thing?

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    How was Matt a dick in season 2? In my book Foggy was the dick QQing over the trial when he knows there's bigger picture issues. He was a bit plot demanded dumb in his lack of explanations at times, but overall...he had a lot of ninjas to deal with.

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I'm very curious as to what the Hand has been up to.
    There's that giant pit and black sky people and all sorts of weird stuff. What're they doing with those old properties and the scary pit of doom? Some demon type thing?

Exactly.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    How was Matt a dick in season 2? In my book Foggy was the dick QQing over the trial when he knows there's bigger picture issues. He was a bit plot demanded dumb in his lack of explanations at times, but overall...he had a lot of ninjas to deal with.

DD Season 2
    it's Matt that pushes them to take the Punisher's case, something they have basically no chance of winning, and then he bails.

"Hey we need to do this extremely challenging thing"
    "OK I guess"
    "Cool, you can handle it alone, I gotta go do stuff"

that is a dick move

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

DD Season 2
    it's Matt that pushes them to take the Punisher's case, something they have basically no chance of winning, and then he bails.

"OK I guess"

that is a dick move

Even more so because
    taking the case meant locking horns with the DA on a case that she had made very clear that she did not want anything other than a smooth glide towards a conviction. Or maybe a plea. So not only was it a loser of a case, it was a loser of a case that would put their struggling law firm in the DA's cross hairs. And Matt bailed.

Ultra dick move.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Luke is such a dick he
    created his evil, poorly written, poorly explained, psychotic, murdering, random-name-generating half-brother.

And he's so god damned boring. So is Misty.

• Options

I dunno, I'm pretty interested to see where they're going with that.

• Options

heh. i suppose my user name gives that away then....

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular

DD Season 2

"OK I guess"

that is a dick move
    "Don't worry Foggy, I got the opening statement."
    *crickets chirp*

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I enjoyed the non-punisher parts of daredevil S2, but I think it was guilty of introducing way more story elements than it had time to explore. Spoilers I guess?
    elektra as the black sky, the hand as zombie ninjas, why are the hand digging a big hole and so on could each have easily occupied the non-punisher b-plot space, but the show introduces each of them in succession and then only really resolves elektra's character arc (and kinda haphazardly at that.)

many of these scenes are saved by yung being really good and having great chemistry with cox and I enjoyed watching them, but in hindsight they're pretty disjointed.

it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    I enjoyed the non-punisher parts of daredevil S2, but I think it was guilty of introducing way more story elements than it had time to explore. Spoilers I guess?
    elektra as the black sky, the hand as zombie ninjas, why are the hand digging a big hole and so on could each have easily occupied the non-punisher b-plot space, but the show introduces each of them in succession and then only really resolves elektra's character arc (and kinda haphazardly at that.)

many of these scenes are saved by yung being really good and having great chemistry with cox and I enjoyed watching them, but in hindsight they're pretty disjointed.
    What hurt the storyline was that none of the Hand or their associates are fleshed out. I didn't know who they were so I wasn't interested when DD beat them to a pulp. Most of them were faceless undead zombies with no personality, and they didn't explore the yakuza side of the Hand ether. Missed opportunities all around.

• Options

Luke is a nicer person, who's less interesting. There are several people in his show who over shadow him in being engaging, Misty Knight being the best. Give her a tv show, Marvel. Just a detective solving crime in Harlem.

They completely fucked up Misty's character.

Like completely and utterly fucked up writing her. Bad nonsense garbage writing for no reason. Easily my least favorite part of that show other than final fight cheese.

And while Luke may not be the most exciting character, I agree, I don't find Matt interesting at all. He's just a hypocrite and a douche. That doesn't interest me as a main character. I find nothing compelling about him.

Punisher though was great and the best part by far.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Well hot damn Marvel.

Or Canada!

Got my tickets (FINALLY), catching it with friends on Sunday at 6, really looking forward to this from the reactions I'm hearing.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    I was surprised at how much I ended up liking Punisher in DD2, considering I had a huuuuuuuuge "That's not Thomas Jane" bias going in.

• Options
    Forar wrote: »
    Well hot damn Marvel.

Or Canada!

Got my tickets (FINALLY), catching it with friends on Sunday at 6, really looking forward to this from the reactions I'm hearing.

Hope you're seeing it in 3d!