Options

The 2016 Conditional Post-Election Thread: II

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    The strategy appears to be: try to focus attention on the areas where Trump hedged liberal-populist like maternity leave and etc. Make that the issue. Then, if Trump sides with you and you can get it to pass, then congratulations! You managed to get the country maternity leave passed and that's incredible. On the other hand, if Trump sides against you and kills it, then you've forced him to eat his words and you're positioned to yank back the mantle of economic populism.

Seems plenty intelligible to me.

Yeah and the only thing that worries me is letting him claim those victories

but then, if one of them ends up running in 2020 they are also their victories

This is literally the GOP's reasoning for not working with Obama: because it would give him the "win" of doing something

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    As someone who could use paid parental leave, I'm not sure if preventing legislative wins are more important than changing current law.

Plus the main fuckups are going to be his responding to events terribly.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    As someone who could use paid parental leave, I'm not sure if preventing legislative wins are more important than changing current law.

Plus the main fuckups are going to be his responding to events terribly.

his policy right now is maternity leave. not parental leave. it's only for working mothers. unless they drastically changed it. I can't remember.

• Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    DrDinosaur wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »

And the rightward shift begins, as the rust belt become the only important demographic in America.

...I need a new swear word, the standard set no longer properly convey my absolute disdain anymore.

The second sentence of the article:
    On infrastructure spending, child tax credits, paid maternity leave and dismantling trade agreements, Democrats are looking for ways they can work with Mr. Trump and force Republican leaders to choose between their new president and their small-government, free-market principles.

The Democrats aren't shifting right, they're looking to pull Trump left.

That's usually how its framed. But its dumb because they can't introduce any legislation. The GOP will kill everything in committee at best.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »

And the rightward shift begins, as the rust belt become the only important demographic in America.

...I need a new swear word, the standard set no longer properly convey my absolute disdain anymore.

On infrastructure spending, child tax credits, paid maternity leave and dismantling trade agreements, Democrats are looking for ways they can work with Mr. Trump and force Republican leaders to choose between their new president and their small-government, free-market principles.

That's usually how its framed. But its dumb because they can't introduce any legislation. The GOP will kill everything in committee at best.

Trump would probably be far less inclined to not call out the GOP for getting in his way.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

If trump introduces good legislation I absolutely want dems to vote for it. It will give them fine cover in swing states.

"Hey now, I voted with trump to expand maternity leave and for a new bridge right here in Wyoming. The Republicans wouldn't let him build it! Who has your back here? Me or my opponent!"

And then they can use that cover to filibuster and delay all the horrible crap. Trump likes succeeding more than anything else. He'll give up if he starts getting frustrated with things.

Every days delay in horrible shit counts. Demographics are changing. Views are changing. We can hold the line.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Dems are going to have be very selective with the filibuster, others the pubs will absolutely nuke it.

They ain't going to put up with the bullshit they themselves did.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Dems are going to have be very selective with the filibuster, others the pubs will absolutely nuke it.

I think Republicans at one point or another have shown that they realize nuking the filibuster would eventually bite them in the ass extremely hard.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tKOV0KqPlg

A good reminder on why I left South Africa.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Trumps policy is going to be whatever the last person that whispered in his ear says. He has no ideology, and certainly no overarching interests. This is where the congress is really going to fuck us, because they do have those things and they are bent on dismantling the 20th century.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    He's incredibly racist. That shit never changes.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Someone else lives in Wyoming!? :D

• Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    Apparently Trump has said he's going to Ban all lobbyists from Washington? There's a huge loophole in the "Registered" part but that seems a bit odd...Aren't lobbyists kinda....important? I mean, it's not just NRA lobbyist, it's environmental and all kinds of other good lobbyists.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-administration-will-ban-lobbyists-enact-five-year-lobbying-ban-after-leaving-government/ar-AAkoz5i?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus

I think Republicans at one point or another have shown that they realize nuking the filibuster would eventually bite them in the ass extremely hard.

They had the chance back during Bush, when they controlled everything. The main argument against it was exactly this.

Then again, this was pre-Tea Party, so who knows?

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    both sides have flirted with it periodically, and when the rubber meets the road a majority of senators really like the filibuster in place

I think you might see it fall this time around though, especially whenever trump nominates whatever terrifying supreme court nominee he goes with

it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNcji9CknMs

Looks like KO climbed out from under his week long post-election bender.

---

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/11/will-congress-investigate-russian-interference-2016-campaign
    On Tuesday, the director of the National Security Agency, Admiral Michael Rogers, was asked about the WikiLeaks release of hacked information during the campaign, and he said, "This was a conscious effort by a nation-state to attempt to achieve a specific effect." He added, "This was not something that was done casually. This was not something that was done by chance. This was not a target that was selected purely arbitrarily."

This was a stunning statement that has echoed other remarks from senior US officials. He was saying that Russia directly intervened in the US election to obtain a desired end: presumably to undermine confidence in US elections or to elect Donald Trump—or both. Rogers was clearly accusing Vladimir Putin of meddling with American democracy.
    Now, will something come of this? We'll see, I guess.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    Dragon6860 wrote: »
    Apparently Trump has said he's going to Ban all lobbyists from Washington? There's a huge loophole in the "Registered" part but that seems a bit odd...Aren't lobbyists kinda....important? I mean, it's not just NRA lobbyist, it's environmental and all kinds of other good lobbyists.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-administration-will-ban-lobbyists-enact-five-year-lobbying-ban-after-leaving-government/ar-AAkoz5i?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

This is something I've brought up in discussions with people when they talk about curtailing lobbying, that when you do so you're not just eliminating lobbyists for groups you don't like or disagree with but also the ones you like and agree with.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNcji9CknMs

Looks like KO climbed out from under his week long post-election bender.

---

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/11/will-congress-investigate-russian-interference-2016-campaign
    On Tuesday, the director of the National Security Agency, Admiral Michael Rogers, was asked about the WikiLeaks release of hacked information during the campaign, and he said, "This was a conscious effort by a nation-state to attempt to achieve a specific effect." He added, "This was not something that was done casually. This was not something that was done by chance. This was not a target that was selected purely arbitrarily."

This was a stunning statement that has echoed other remarks from senior US officials. He was saying that Russia directly intervened in the US election to obtain a desired end: presumably to undermine confidence in US elections or to elect Donald Trump—or both. Rogers was clearly accusing Vladimir Putin of meddling with American democracy.
    Now, will something come of this? We'll see, I guess.

No nothing will come of this

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular

Well, what they felt back in all the way in even just 2006-ish can't be counted on anymore..

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited November 2016

Let them, Dems need to fight back. Show the populace what they're fighting for them - give them bills that would be bad PR for them to kill or not bring to a vote. Dems need bills and policies to work with, and the GOP to give reasons for ignoring or destroying, then advertise this everywhere - the press, internet, interviews, websites etc.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »
    Ok, it's official. I give up on liberalism.
    No worries. America's way ahead of you.

• Options
    The strategy appears to be: try to focus attention on the areas where Trump hedged liberal-populist like maternity leave and etc. Make that the issue. Then, if Trump sides with you and you can get it to pass, then congratulations! You managed to get the country maternity leave passed and that's incredible. On the other hand, if Trump sides against you and kills it, then you've forced him to eat his words and you're positioned to yank back the mantle of economic populism.

It's stupid, because the GOP is never going to let those bills out of committee, or of they do, they'll attach so many shitty amendments that Dems end up either voting against "maternity leave" or whatever, or being implicit in fucking over minorities to get it through for white women only.

And then Donald might change his mind and not sign it anyway!

The only winning move is not to play.

That's worse than the current situation, it basically leaves America without an opposition party to Trump and his administration. It'll depress turn outs further and alienate voting blocs on our own side. Why would they stay with Dems if they give up fighting for them?

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular

It's stupid, because the GOP is never going to let those bills out of committee, or of they do, they'll attach so many shitty amendments that Dems end up either voting against "maternity leave" or whatever, or being implicit in fucking over minorities to get it through for white women only.

That's worse than the current situation, it basically leaves America without an opposition party to Trump and his administration. It'll depress turn outs further and alienate voting blocs on our own side. Why would they stay with Dems if they give up fighting for them?

"not playing" as in refusing to let the GOP pass anything, good or bad--basically, running the GOP's own playbook against them. Did Obama have no opposition party?

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Oghulk wrote: »
    crossposting for your viewing pleasure
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnndd

stop your stopwatches

only took a week

Tell me again I'm paranoid for seeing the fascist parallels in our rather recent past.

Orca on
  • Options
    Astaereth wrote: »

"not playing" as in refusing to let the GOP pass anything, good or bad--basically, running the GOP's own playbook against them. Did Obama have no opposition party?

I misread you. Sure do that, and what I suggested. Bills like the above also present an opportunity to drive a wedge further between the establishment/moderates and Trump's administration.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

stop your stopwatches

only took a week

Tell me again I'm paranoid for seeing the fascist parallels in our /rather recent/ past.

Hey, it's just a little yellow star and crescent to be attached visibly to any Muslim's clothing, it's not a big deal.

Hey why are those internment camps suddenly producing such a smoke?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options

stop your stopwatches

only took a week

Tell me again I'm paranoid for seeing the fascist parallels in our /rather recent/ past.

Hey, it's just a little yellow star and crescent to be attached visibly to any Muslim's clothing, it's not a big deal.

It's not an internment camp; it's protective custody! We put them there for their protection!

Why is the soap stone? No reason...

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

stop your stopwatches

only took a week

It's not an internment camp; it's protective custody! We put them there for their protection!

Why is the soap stone? No reason...

The protective custody is necessary because the people would hurt them!

Due process is not necessary, what are you, an enemy of America?

We've got a camp for that, too..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    That due process quip is not a joke, btw.

'until we get a handle on how to do background checks' probably means forever

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    The Trump administration is a fractal of horror.

This year, Cthulu resigned because it wasn't evil enough.

• Options
    The Trump administration is a fractal of horror.

This year, Cthulu resigned because it wasn't evil enough.
    "Why did I promise them to eat them first, when all I had to do was to promise to eat brown people first? "

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Dear God. Germany IS currently one of the western states left, isn't it?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Here's hoping that Pegida and the AfD don't become any more mainstream or stronger.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Thirith wrote: »
    Here's hoping that Pegida and the AfD don't become any more mainstream or stronger.

Luckily, the CSU is filling that niche nicely..

Edit: the CSU is the Bavarian sister party of the CDU, Merkel's party. They're always a bit more to the right and coined the phrase "no space to the right of us", either meaning "no one to the right of us is electable" or "we will run to the right was far as we can", depending on how you see it..

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    On the other hand
    German intelligence services ′alarmed′ about potential Russian interference in elections | News | DW.COM | 16.11.2016
    http://m.dw.com/en/german-intelligence-services-alarmed-about-potential-russian-interference-in-elections/a-36413582

I think some years down the line, things like this would be considered an act of war

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    furbatfurbat Registered User regular

Wait, what? The rust belt isn't right or left. It's not the only important demographic but working class white voters make up about 40% of the electorate so it's certainly one of the biggest.

Why would you disdain them having a voice?

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    furbat wrote: »

Wait, what? The rust belt isn't right or left. It's not the only important demographic but working class white voters make up about 40% of the electorate so it's certainly one of the biggest.

Agreed. Lets not lump all midwesterners into Trump's core supporter, which is part of the problem.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    I fell into a linkhole and ended up at a Vice article from last month that listed the rejected Clinton campaign slogans. And I'll never complain about Stronger Together again.

https://news.vice.com/story/clinton-rejected-campaign-slogans-wikileaks

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    furbat wrote: »

From what many posters*, who come from that area, describe that demographic is that culturally they are rightward of liberals/Democrats on important issues - like sexism, racism etc. This is where we lost them this election. An argument has to be made to focus less on those issues to court them back.

They seem not to be hateful jackasses, yet they're not full on liberals either. This is the sweet spot for the GOP and candidates like Donald Trump to pick them up. They've also been a demographic the GOP has tried capturing for years. Why wouldn't they?

They can have a voice, but we shouldn't sacrifice too much if they don't want what we're selling.

* and other sources in the media

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    I gotta come back to the internment camps thing.

Mods, let me know if this needs to be a separate topic, but... If such a thing came to pass, when is it time to bail out? Would there be any warning time before it went into effect?

This discussion has been closed.