Options

The 2016 Conditional Post-Election Thread: II

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    mRahmani wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    That leaves options pretty slim. I have an Iranian passport, but I give it 50/50 odds that Tehran gets nuked in that scenario.

EDIT: What about Australia? Maybe that could be an option.

I never got my Iranian passport even though my dad has been pushing it for years

If there is a scenario where living in Iran is a brighter prospect for an atheist feminist American who can only speak broken farsi, can't read or write, has no applicable skills for a job in Iran and is a primo target for Evin prison, then shit in America will have to have gone really fucking bad

I don't know if that's on the menu but...i don't know

I mean... it might be worth having that passport. Just as an absolute worst case last resort.

Things have changed pretty significantly from the last time I was over there. A lot of the religious ruling stuff seems to have faded to window dressing, for the most part. Tehran especially, you see guys and girls holding hands walking down the street and generally being gherti and nobody cares lol.

I don't know. I just don't. I have too much invested in my American identity and my bitch identity. Even in a freer social climate in Tehran I don't see a place for myself there. Even with family.

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Shivahn wrote: »
    All it will take is one assclown to pull off another Orlando shooting to set the dominoes falling. ISIS/ISIL/etc is well aware of this and will be trying for it.

At that point, getting the undesirables out of the country won't be the primary goal. Punishing them will be.

It's distressing on another level that a shooting of queer people contributed to an administration that largely will try to harm queer people.

It turns out being a minority sucks, you guys.

We only care about other motivations when a shooter is white (Angry he lost a job or girlfriend, desperately poor, really hates black people or gay people, mentally disturbed, shockingly easy access to guns, etc). When a shooter is brown, fucking WHO CARES how they got radicalized or if they were born in the US or if they were mentally ill or just desperate because they have no money or job or also hate black people or gay people--they probably clicked their heels three times, whispered "ISIS, ISIS, ISIS" and dialed into the always-open comms line to Al-Baghdadi where they received direct marching orders and an arsenal of guns from heaven to continue the holy war against the West

I know I have been doomsaying a lot lately but this is one my surer prognostications: There will be another attack, and if it is not directly from al Qaeda or ISIS then it will be from a radicalized US citizen, and it will serve as a pretext for crackdowns on a level we've not yet seen

Yeeeeaaaahhhhhh

On top of that, we only care about the victims insofar as they're the right kind of Americans. Do you remember the aftermath of the Pulse shooting? Many, many right wing politicians downplayed or omitted or even just said "no, that's not the case" the fact that it was a hate crime targeted at queer folk. It was a brutal attack on Americans (which I mean, it was, but), not on queer people, also pls ignore that I hate queer people and am enacting laws against them peeing ever or being protected from losing housing.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    That leaves options pretty slim. I have an Iranian passport, but I give it 50/50 odds that Tehran gets nuked in that scenario.

I never got my Iranian passport even though my dad has been pushing it for years

If there is a scenario where living in Iran is a brighter prospect for an atheist feminist American who can only speak broken farsi, can't read or write, has no applicable skills for a job in Iran and is a primo target for Evin prison, then shit in America will have to have gone really fucking bad

I mean... it might be worth having that passport. Just as an absolute worst case last resort.

Things have changed pretty significantly from the last time I was over there. A lot of the religious ruling stuff seems to have faded to window dressing, for the most part. Tehran especially, you see guys and girls holding hands walking down the street and generally being gherti and nobody cares lol.

I don't know. I just don't. I have too much invested in my American identity and my bitch identity. Even in a freer social climate in Tehran I don't see a place for myself there. Even with family.

Though if it does happen I call dibs on the movie rights to "An American BEAST! in Tehran"

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    What's all this Canada shit. If they start internment camps, I hope every last one of you says, "fuck no," packs a sleeping bag and tent and goes to protest the shit out of it. Worst case scenario, there's not enough of us to stop it but everything is going to goddamn hell anyway. Best case scenario you stop it?

Don't talk a big game and then say you're going to go to fucking Canada if we start with these human rights abuses.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    What's all this Canada shit. If they start internment camps, I hope every last one of you says, "fuck no," packs a sleeping bag and tent and goes to protest the shit out of it. Worst case scenario, there's not enough of us to stop it but everything is going to goddamn hell anyway. Best case scenario you stop it?

Don't talk a big game and then say you're going to go to fucking Canada if we start with these human rights abuses.

the people saying canada here are the people who're most likely to be thrown in the camps you are asking them to protest.

As a white dude with means I wouldn't be opposed to helping them get out if it comes to that.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular
    HoA-player wrote: »
    Germany for example recently stated that anyone who is politically persecuted is welcome to apply for asylum.

dw.com/en/german-state-minister-persecuted-turks-can-apply-for-asylum-in-germany/a-36301655

This was primarily aimed at turks because of recent developments there but applies just as much to anyone else.

Oh hey looks like the Latin American tradition of extending political asylum to refugees existed for a reason!

• Options

Yeah--I may be the biggest coward in the west but if push came to shove I hope I would choose fight over flight. By then the flight option may be out of the question anyway so fuck it right?

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2016

I mean, I'm not doomsaying as much as others - I don't think it will get nearly that bad, but remember how queer people with dicks fared in Nazi Germany?

It was basically as well as Jews.

If people actually start getting rounded up, I'm like the second wave.

Shivahn on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

So, uh... what do we reckon the odds are that Trump can be convinced that climate change is a real thing?

• Options
    I'm sure the Jews who stayed in Germany were great heroes, but if I were in 1938 I wouldn't tell them to stay and protest. There is a time for protests and there is a point past which your presence is not helpful.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    :(

• Options

Hey spoiled guy

If a country goes full fascist the protesters aren't arrested

They're shot or tortured and their families are harassed and made to suffer permanent unemployment

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular

I have a 2.5 year old and a 1 month old daughter. If they start internment camps, I will stop at pretty much nothing to get them out of harm's way.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Trump's not going to start a civil war and that's what he'd have to do to do what a lot of you are suggesting

The military is not going to start herding citizens into camps and law enforcement is not capable of dealing with armed citizens in large numbers

If they do start herding people into camps, protests won't be the answer, grabbing a gun and making it clear that they're going to have to spill a lot of blood will be the answer, which is why it's not going to happen

I mean we don't have to embelish how bad the situation is, increased deportations and discrimination of transpeople is well into the "likely" and even "probable" side of things, national voter ID? Yep. He's not going to build auschwitz texas though

override367 on
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    I feel like if there were actual internment camps, you could just hop the boarder to Canada or Europe and claim asylum.

If the USA went fascist, Canada and Europe aren't powerful enough to resist it without WW3, so they'd just send you right back.

Would they want you back? The whole point is to get the undesirables out of the country...

Into the camps then, I guess.

• Options
    mRahmanimRahmani DetroitRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

like, pretty? Well groomed? Fashion Forward?

Google did not help me with your Farsi all that much.

I always understood it as being vaguely flirty/skanky. Depending on who is using it, it can be either tongue in cheek or an actual insult, but it was supposed to be tongue in cheek here. :razz:

• Options
    Trump's not going to start a civil war and that's what he'd have to do to do what a lot of you are suggesting

The military is not going to start herding citizens into camps and law enforcement is not capable of dealing with armed citizens in large numbers

I know, but the more vulnerable people in our society have to start to plan for the worst, and the worst is that

• Options

Well the first thing he would need to do is staff up his cabinet / executive branch with people who support fascist/nationalist ideology, and run on a platform that others a set of minorities who can be blamed for everything that has gone wrong. Check and check.

I am fine with not waiting for more of those checkboxes to be filled before planning for contingencies.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »

So, uh... what do we reckon the odds are that Trump can be convinced that climate change is a real thing?

I guess 400 ppm was a bigger deal than we thought.

• Options
    edited November 2016

Well the first thing he would need to do is staff up his cabinet / executive branch with people who support fascist/nationalist ideology, and run on a platform that others a set of minorities who can be blamed for everything that has gone wrong. Check and check.

I am fine with not waiting for more of those checkboxes to be filled before planning for contingencies.

Rudy Guiliani and Steve Bannon aren't going to get the military to launch a coup for him

override367 on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    I've heard a lot of "Trump won't"s in 2016, and frankly I don't believe them anymore

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Look I don't realistically think camps are going to happen. And definitely not if Democrats are able to mobilize early and provide a staunch defense. But there will be leeway for abuse. There will be means for on-the-ground law enforcement to take advantage of their new latitude to violate all hells of due process and abuse citizens, and even kill them and get away with it (we know this is going to happen because it already happens!). It will start with a few bad apples who don't have to worry so much about internal investigations or ethics violations.

• Options
    The worst case that's likely in the first 2 years (for citizens) is imprisonment of transpeople in red states

I think this is a very real possibility and something that should be planned for

• Options
    edited November 2016

Rudy Guiliani and Steve Bannon aren't going to get the military to launch a coupe for him

Why does he need a coup?

Executive order, start building the wall and start deporting anyone he can without congressional approval.

Wait for an attack that can be blamed on ISIS, and use the "will of the people" to force some Patriot Act level bullshit through that allows them to start targeting and registering unlikables.

Then, when another attack occurs, start doing stuff to protect real Americans from this threat.

This is what ISIS wants, and it is what Bannon wants; there is a not insignificant chance this happens.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    If you really believe this is going to happen why aren't you building pipe bombs and practicing your marksmanship right now, because that's going to help you more than anything else after society breaks down (which it will if he does what you say)

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Gator wrote: »

Hey spoiled guy

If a country goes full fascist the protesters aren't arrested

They're shot or tortured and their families are harassed and made to suffer permanent unemployment

Yeah. If you've got kids to protect, protect them. I don't think it's going to get that bad, but if it did I'd be putting myself ahead of people on the list to get shot by livestreaming myself being mowed down as a protester. Germany won't happen again as long as people move in large enough numbers to show what is happening. But I don't think things will push that far, as long as everyone keeps vocally pointing out where the lines are and where shit needs to be stopped. White nationalism is sticking its head out to see what it can get away with, and we need to snip it right the fuck off before it gets much further out.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    If you really believe this is going to happen why aren't you building pipe bombs and practicing your marksmanship right now, because that's going to help you more than anything else after society breaks down (which it will if he does what you say)

because that is dumb and useless action for where we are at right now. Unless you are one of the targeted groups at which point making contingencies for the worst is probably not a terrible exercise.

Trump has advanced a few pawns on the table and we are some time from a checkmate. Right now the right move is to truly educate people on what the stakes are, and mobilize them to keeping things from getting to that point through protest, votes, donations and becoming vocal advocates of a better way.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Look I don't realistically think camps are going to happen. And definitely not if Democrats are able to mobilize early and provide a staunch defense. But there will be leeway for abuse. There will be means for on-the-ground law enforcement to take advantage of their new latitude to violate all hells of due process and abuse citizens, and even kill them and get away with it (we know this is going to happen because it already happens!). It will start with a few bad apples who don't have to worry so much about internal investigations or ethics violations.

Yeah, I also don't think things are going to get that bad. But basically, this. Internment camps are still a "what if?" counterfactual. But there are still other worries I have - personally, various rights that would be easily lost, for others, what you're describing.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    While likelyhood is still a consideration, the world is not composed of a majority of rational actors. A large portion of the world is run by people who behave like cartoon characters. We should not panic, but we need to stop assuming that the world is going to be at all sensible.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Well if you live in a red state and you're a minority I would get the fuck out of that state and move somewhere else if you can

But this has been good advice for years

override367 on
  • Options
    edited November 2016

Because society won't break down.

This is the thing--society will find a way to absorb the shock. It will find a way to believe the arguments for targeting minorities; it's unfortunate, you know, but I'm scared, and I want to feel safe from terrorism. I need to feel safe. This is about national security. It's sad that it's come to this, but I can't do anything about it, this is the way it has to be to protect ourselves.

"Society" already has a grab bag of ready excuses for atrocities. Look at all the excuses we have loaded in the But Still cannon when a young 12 year old black child with a plastic gun is shot to death by police officers.

The fear is that the crackdowns will happen to immigrants in your neighborhood, Muslims next door, and everyone who should be angry and protest will turn a blind eye because on some level, the fear is justified; somehow, this level of action is necessary, this violation of due process is just an emergency power, things will be alright, the process will sort out the good from the bad, all the whining and crying and handwringing is blowing it all out of proportion, why can't people see that we need this to be safe

Hakkekage on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    While likelyhood is still a consideration, the world is not composed of a majority of rational actors. A large portion of the world is run by people who behave like cartoon characters. We should not panic, but we need to stop assuming that the world is going to be at all sensible.

Isn't there a positive correlation between a warmer climate and more violence?

Maybe global warming is like a fever, getting rid of the problem :p

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Well if you live in a red state and you're a minority I would get the fuck out of that state and move somewhere else if you can

Ironically, this isa part of what helped fuck us electoral college wise

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Ironically, this isa part of what helped fuck us electoral college wise

A little bit? Not really, unenthusiastic democrats in the blue wall cost us the electoral college, a few hundred thousand people

sorting is sure as shit why everything should be hardening into solid blue and red though

override367 on
  • Options

Because society won't break down.

This is the thing--society will find a way to absorb the shock. It will find a way to believe the arguments for targeting minorities; it's unfortunate, you know, but I'm scared, and I want to feel safe from terrorism. I need to feel safe. This is about national security. It's sad that it's come to this, but I can't do anything about it, this is the way it has to be to protect ourselves.

"Society" already has a grab bag of ready excuses for atrocities. Look at all the excuses we have loaded in the But Still cannon when a young 12 year old black child with a plastic gun is shot to death by police officers.

The fear is that the crackdowns will happen to immigrants in your neighborhood, Muslims next door, and everyone who should be angry and protest will turn a blind eye because on some level, the fear is justified; somehow, this level of action is necessary, this violation of due process is just an emergency power, things will be alright, the process will sort out the good from the bad, all the whining and crying and handwringing is blowing it all out of proportion, why can't people see that we need this to be safe

There are people on the right that I know personally who are already on this page. It will not take much.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I personally think Trump is playing the muslim card as hard as he is not for fear of ISIS (which he used as a talking point to get elected) but to crack down on work visas for immigrants to try and take off shore jobs back.

I don't agree with his plans, and I'm not defending him here, but I don't think internment camps are thing that is going to happen. I think a database is likely, but not for citizens. I don't see that one flying.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    increased deportation of illegals is in the power of the president, internment camps for citizens is not

Obama was already deporter in chief though and everyone defends him

override367 on
  • Options
    There is already a database for everyone, somewhere in the NSA archives

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    There is already a database for everyone, somewhere in the NSA archives

Changing my name to Robert'); DROP TABLE Citizens;

• Options
    Maybe Democrats will be less enthusiastic about the vast expansions of surveillance now that it's going to be used for more than just arresting minority drug dealers

This discussion has been closed.