Options

Annual [Thanksgiving] Thread for Giving Thanks!

• Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2016
    You have taken the land which is rightfully ours. Years from now my people will be forced to live in mobile homes on reservations. Your people will wear cardigans, and drink highballs. We will sell our bracelets by the road sides, you will play golf, and enjoy hot hors d'oeuvres. My people will have pain and degradation. Your people will have stick shifts. The gods of my tribe have spoken. They have said, "Do not trust the Pilgrims, especially Sarah Miller."

A topical, contemporary version by a pretty great native hip-hop group named A Tribe Called Red:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnGnj_e6gBw

tzeentchling on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Not to be a cuff-tugging pedant here, but cheese and fruit has been served together since like, medieval times. It's not THAT WEIRD to serve your apple pie with slices of sharp cheddar on the side instead of ice cream.

I think it's mostly a northeastern tradition, but don't quote me. My dad likes his that way and his dad did too, apparently, and they're from Chicago/Ohio respectively.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Not to be a cuff-tugging pedant here, but cheese and fruit has been served together since like, medieval times. It's not THAT WEIRD to serve your apple pie with slices of sharp cheddar on the side instead of ice cream.

I think it's mostly a northeastern tradition, but don't quote me. My dad likes his that way and his dad did too, apparently, and they're from Chicago/Ohio respectively.

cheddar in/on apple pie crust is a Pennsylvanian dutch thing that kinda spread a bit out in the north

it's also goddamn delicious

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Maaaaaaan

How important is baking powder?

When baking?

=/

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Baking what?

• Options
  • Options
    Recipe calls for 1.5 tsp

I have none

• Options
    Hrm

You could use baking soda and lemon juice?

• Options
    I have baking soda!

• Options
    edited November 2016
    You just need something acidic then.

Baking powder is basically sodium bicarbonate and carbonate plus an acid that reacts in the recipe to have a leavening effect.

Use like 3/8ths tsp of baking soda and like the same amount lemon juice or vinegar. Or something that might compliment the cornbread more but has acid in it.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    You sir are a life saver!

Also, a cornbread saver

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    baking powder is baking soda with cream of tartar in it

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    baking powder is baking soda with cream of tartar in it

Yeah this

• Options
    Cornbread is done!

Tastes way better than it looks

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »
    FUCK, CORNBREAD, HOW DO I FUCKING MAKE CORNBREAD FROM SCRATCH SHIIIIIIIIIT

Maybe next year, I'm already doing sour dough stuffing.

Gonna just do the Cranberries tomorrow and throw 'en in the fridge.

It's super easy!

especially if you have a cast iron skillet

I'll dig up my recipe tonight!

I basically have nothing, so imagine that I have nothing because that is what I have.

I went two years without Thanksgiving because I had no oven, the only reason I am having Thanksgiving at all is that I made friends with a very generous man who has got an oven.

One day I will have an iron skillet

But it is not this day.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/76594/grandmothers-buttermilk-cornbread/

this is a pretty great recipe! slather it with room temperature butter and honey for maximum effect

Yo, I'' gonna try to make this.

I say try because lunch is at 1, and the oven is about the size of a largeish microwave, soooooooooo I dunno if that will leave enough time to get everything made, but this recipient looks like the bomb and you are bomb for sharing it.

This Thanksgiving, I'm thankful for you nerds.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Turkey is brining overnight.

• Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    Thanksgiving in my house basically embodies how things work in my family.

When I was a kid, we'd have a duck or two, duck sauce, mashed potatoes, and green beans. Maybe a pie.

Then slowly, stuff got more complicated. My siblings and I grew up and got hungrier. People's tastes changed. My dad added requirements. Mom got better at cooking more complicated stuff simultaneously.

Tomorrow, we're having turkey breast, lamb, venison, turkey gravy, venison sauce, mashed potatoes or potatoes au gratin, dinner rolls, maybe stuffing, sauteed shallots, green beans, some root vegetable dish, maybe a salad, pumpkin pie, blueberry pie, apple pie, whipped cream, and cranberry sauce.

Everything will be made from scratch. My sisters and I are required to help my mom in the kitchen from noon to dinner, because you can't cook that many dishes and set the table without at least three people helping you. And we all have to wear nice clothes.

It's literally just going to be the six of us.

So this year, I'm thankful my mom has explained to Dad that Thanksgiving is becoming a problem and he's agreed to scale things back next year. Here's to slowly moving towards functionality!

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I am currently in charge of making sure the pumpkin pie is cooked properly in the oven. This is about the limits of my ability. I did not make the pie, I'm just sticking a knife in it every 5 minutes until it is done.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Turkey is in the oven, parade is on, I'm half a bowl and two Bailey's coffees deep.

• Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    time to get thankful
    4pZFLw1.jpg

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Turkey is brining overnight.

YO GUESS WHAT BURST OPEN IN THE FRIDGE LAST NIGHT

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Gotta work tonight and tomorrow night for black Friday, but I'm off Sunday so that's when we'll be doing thanksgiving.

Just wanted to say I'm thankful for all the people on this forum that have helped me through the last year. It's been really rough for me since losing my mom, and people here have helped me get through it.

No I don't.
  • Options
    HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!

I am thankful for my kids, my incredible girlfriend, all of you fine people, and the feast I plan to cook today!

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Creagan wrote: »

When I was a kid, we'd have a duck or two, duck sauce, mashed potatoes, and green beans. Maybe a pie.

Then slowly, stuff got more complicated. My siblings and I grew up and got hungrier. People's tastes changed. My dad added requirements. Mom got better at cooking more complicated stuff simultaneously.

Tomorrow, we're having turkey breast, lamb, venison, turkey gravy, venison sauce, mashed potatoes or potatoes au gratin, dinner rolls, maybe stuffing, sauteed shallots, green beans, some root vegetable dish, maybe a salad, pumpkin pie, blueberry pie, apple pie, whipped cream, and cranberry sauce.

Everything will be made from scratch. My sisters and I are required to help my mom in the kitchen from noon to dinner, because you can't cook that many dishes and set the table without at least three people helping you. And we all have to wear nice clothes.

So this year, I'm thankful my mom has explained to Dad that Thanksgiving is becoming a problem and he's agreed to scale things back next year. Here's to slowly moving towards functionality!

God damn, Creegs.

While that sounds like a hassle to arrange, that also sounds like an AWESOME meal.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Jacques L'HommeJacques L'Homme BAH! He was a rank amateur compared to, DR. COLOSSUS!Registered User regular
    We're spatchcocking our turkey again this year, and yes, spatchcock turkey is as much fun to eat as it is to say. I've also been put in charge of the green bean casserole, which, to my ears, directly translates to, "yes, Jack, use all off the French fried onions."

• Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Creagan wrote: »

God damn, Creegs.

While that sounds like a hassle to arrange, that also sounds like an AWESOME meal.

It's delicious and is usually gone in 48 hours. But we could probably make 1/2 the dishes for Christmas, and have an equally nice meal that doesn't require four people spend 5+ hours working in the kitchen.

Although cleanup should be a little better this year because we're not using my parent's wedding china & the matching gold flatware that you have to wash by hand. (Yes, we've done that before. It took two days to finish clean up that year. And that was back when we only did two meats.)

Edit: I spoke too soon. We're using the wedding china, gold flatware, and some crystal I've never seen before but aparently we've had for decades. Clean up's going to take foreeeeever...

Creagan on
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    happy thanksgiving you guys

I'm thankful that I have a whole forum of people's posts to read and pretend that I know them so that I do not feel like such a lonely boy

1OGz9WK.jpg

I am also thankful for these little like, cinnamon apple crumble tarts my sister made

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Coming up on the holiday weekend I was all happy to have some time to myself

and now that the day is here and i've no meal planned and i'm not eating with my parents until tomorrow and it's bummed me out

So i'm thankful for this forum and all the cool people here

I'm also thankful for those have the energy/strength to continue their activism in this time and so I donated to Standing Rock, because what's more appropriate than supporting Native Americans on thanksgiving day.

happy thanksgiving you nerds.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    JenneroseJennerose Registered User regular
    I used to do huge thanksgivings with my tons of cousins and family, but it involved a very long drive and I'm tired of making said drive, so the last couple of years we've just done immediate family and we cook whatever the hell seems like a good idea. We usually have some friends over, as well.

I just finished making chocolate pudding pie and @mysst and I have been drinking with my brother since ten, I have zero regrets about staying home and doing things small. Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Oh by the way @Creagan , you realize it's almost December, right?

You know what that means, yes?
    It means murder fudge season.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Turkey was good. Had a hoegarden...

Now need a nap or something.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i'm watching the eighties thanksgiving slasher "blood rage"

the tagline was

"This Thanksgiving
    'It's not cranberry sauce.'"

it's ridiculously violent and the plot is utter nonsense

it's even better than i hazily remember maybe seeing twenty plus years ago late at night

if you have shudder, i highly recommend it.

now to drink two beers and get ready to mash all the potatoes, sweet and regular alike

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular

Well, I mean, if I had to pick one word to describe 2016, "jank" isn't a bad choice.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I'm assuming everyone else is watching the traditional MST3K Turkey Day marathon on YouTube right now. They are showing Final Sacrifice right now.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    In this house, it's all football, all the time.

It's glorious, and the perfect pairing to a food coma.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    As someone who doesn't really cook, it's a really good feeling that the house smells good and it is because of me.

I usually have the opposite effect on a place.

I'll post some pictures later of my goods. The food, not my junk.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    So my family never celebrates Thanksgiving on actual Thanksgiving because my mom works in the service industry (and the tips today are too good to pass up).

So for the past couple years I have cooked for myself weird meals and this year will be no different.

The theme behind this year's meal is a Trip Around the World!

I'll be having:

* Applewood & Cheddar Angus Beef Burgers
    * Bean & Cheese Burritos
    * Cheese Pizza
    * Pierogies
    * Egg Rolls

All washed town with a lot of screwdrivers.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

cheddar in/on apple pie crust is a Pennsylvanian dutch thing that kinda spread a bit out in the north

it's also goddamn delicious
    Baked in might be good, but just a slice on top of it? It's a texture thing that woudl get to me

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I made my second favorite Mac and Cheese recipe, but with no mustard powder due to Wal-Mart being out, and ate half a tray of Hawaiian rolls this morning.

Happy Thanksgiving to me

CYpGAPn.png