Options

[Pokémon] the SUN and MOON will collide 11/18

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    credeiki wrote: »
    Anyway, really fun. Super long unskippable unsaveable cutscene at the end, so budget a good amount of time for the final chunk of the game.
    Looking forward to some end-game content, like catching the legendary I accidentally KO'ed during the aforementioned unskippable cutscene with no savepoints...

That's actually a good thing you killed it, it lets you properly prepare and catch it more carefully, maybe try a few times if you want to get the perfect nature or something.

A lot of people get worried because they hadn't been able to save and catch it because they think it's their only chance.

Oh god no, I am not resetting for nature or IVs or anything. I figure if I ever choose to play competitively, legendaries will be banned anyway (or I'll choose to play in formats where they are banned). I'm willing to jump through some hoops for breeding but not to reset for legendaries.

I think for postgame content I'll just teach someone False Swipe, since we're mostly becoming pokemon collectors for a while. I was holding off on the move so that wild encounters felt more fraught, but yeah, led to some dumb stuff like KO'ing the only Chansey I've seen and also Tapu Koko (I thought he'd be stronger and wouldn't insta-die! But I guess he's probably a scrawny little fast special attacker with no hp...)

edit: Also I totally googled all over to make sure that killing him by mistake didn't mean I ruined my only chance of catching him :P

credeiki on
    Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    bficky wrote: »
    Oh, so the older pokemon are in the newer games (Sun/Moon, X/Y) as well? That's not how I understood it, but that's good.

Yeah there's a decent chunk of older Pokes from all the older generations in Sun/Moon, though some are a bit different looking and have new features, like Rattata has a mustache and is Dark type instead of Normal

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Yeah those things reset every time you clear the E4 so don't sweat it too much. Hell I caught two of them in Quick Balls. I never use legendaries but my Tapu Bulu has some insane IVs.

Wait just to confirm...you can still only catch one of each, right? They don't "reset" and come back, it's just in case you kill them, right?

so how does the max 4IV thing come in when chaining them? are you saying i'd just need to find one randomly?

Like others have said there was basically no chance of anyone getting a perfect ditto in any past gen. All hacked. Even almost perfect dittos were probably hacked for the sake of getting a specific Hidden Power element! (a whole other crazy rabbit hole)

the max 4 IV thing...that just means that if you want an absolutely perfect ditto, for each 40 chain ditto you catch there is a 1 in 32 * 32 = 1024 chance that it will be perfect 6 IV. Which is actually shockingly good odds compared to past gens. In fact there may be at least one in the world right now.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular

PLA wrote: »
    My understanding is that 6iv dittos are currently not possible to get in sun/moon (legitimately). How were they attained in previous versions?

After the tedium that was getting my salazzle I'm probably going to work on EVs for a while then come back to breeding.

They are technically possible to get, you just need to be beloved by the universe. Or somehow manipulate the RNG, as is how most of the old ones came to be.

so how does the max 4IV thing come in when chaining them? are you saying i'd just need to find one randomly?

Like others have said there was basically no chance of anyone getting a perfect ditto in any past gen. All hacked. Even almost perfect dittos were probably hacked for the sake of getting a specific Hidden Power element! (a whole other crazy rabbit hole)

the max 4 IV thing...that just means that if you want an absolutely perfect ditto, for each 40 chain ditto you catch there is a 1 in 32 * 32 = 1024 chance that it will be perfect 6 IV. Which is actually shockingly good odds compared to past gens. In fact there may be at least one in the world right now.

that's....still crazy.

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular

My understanding is that 6iv dittos are currently not possible to get in sun/moon (legitimately). How were they attained in previous versions?

After the tedium that was getting my salazzle I'm probably going to work on EVs for a while then come back to breeding.

They are technically possible to get, you just need to be beloved by the universe. Or somehow manipulate the RNG, as is how most of the old ones came to be.

that's....still crazy.

You don't need a 6IV Ditto. 4IV is plenty to get started on and can be guaranteed with a little legwork, no chance involved.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    TamerBill wrote: »

that's....still crazy.

You don't need a 6IV Ditto. 4IV is plenty to get started on and can be guaranteed with a little legwork, no chance involved.

you don't need a 6iv ditto but it'd make life easier. i'm using 4IV and it is still a lot of work.

edit: i get it, things are not as bad as they used to be from the RNG/tedium/excessive gates. that doesn't make this particular iteration good, just simply better. there are a lot of improvements that could still be made even just as quality of life while retaining many elements of the current system.

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    VahraanVahraan Registered User regular
    TamerBill wrote: »
    Vahraan wrote: »
    Does anyone have any tips for level grinding? Beating the E4 and swapping to the pokemon I'm levelling on every mon seems the fastest, but it's also tedious as all heck. And I just saw Silvally only gets Parting Shot at 85 which seems like a nightmare!

The move relearner ignores level restrictions now, you can get Parting Shot at any level for the price of a Heart Scale. Only reason to level above 50 for most guys now is if you want to hit 100 for Hyper Training.

Excellent, that cuts out a large chunk of time then. For getting to 50/training up stuff going for Hyper Training and such it's still E4 though? Given I don't need to go above 50 much I can deal with it but I just want to make sure I'm not being a goose and missing something.

PSN: Gumbotron88 3DS FC: 0018-3695-0013 (Devon)
  • Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    I always end up breeding up a ton of stuff with perfect ivs, egg moves, natures, and ability/hidden ability, then never actually ev train and level anything. EV training is terrible. "Go murder 120 lvl 3 spearows with your lvl 50+ stuff in order to make your pokemon stronger" is completely stupid design. Even with all of the power items or whatever, you still have to keep track with pen and paper so you dont go over because there is no quantified representation in game, just a little graph thing with no numbers on it.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Enigmedic wrote: »
    I always end up breeding up a ton of stuff with perfect ivs, egg moves, natures, and ability/hidden ability, then never actually ev train and level anything. EV training is terrible. "Go murder 120 lvl 3 spearows with your lvl 50+ stuff in order to make your pokemon stronger" is completely stupid design. Even with all of the power items or whatever, you still have to keep track with pen and paper so you dont go over because there is no quantified representation in game, just a little graph thing with no numbers on it.

personally i think i'm going to drop them on the pelago. seems simply enough since everything is exact as far as i can tell?

at least this way i can go participate in other parts of the game

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Having a ditto from a different language is also neat.

• Options

personally i think i'm going to drop them on the pelago. seems simply enough since everything is exact as far as i can tell?

at least this way i can go participate in other parts of the game

Yeah pelago is actually awesome. No power items required, no risk of going over.

Every "training session" on Isle Evelup gives 4 EV points, which translates to 1 stat point at level 100, so you just literally punch in how many stat points you want. 63 sessions to max one EV takes 31 hours, passively. It costs nothing and you can cut the time in half with berries if you like.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Dammit game. So close. 29/31/31/31/x/30 Calm Spheal. If it had had 29+ in S.Def it would be close enough to perfect I'd just stop. This was only the second generation of the project too. In it goes with the HP and S.Def Ditto! (I mean, speed is somewhat not useful on Walrein so...)

This has taken me maybe 20 minutes of time total so far, between getting Spheal and gathering/hatching egg batches, thanks to a maxed-out pelago.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    @WingedWeasel
    While 6 IV dittoes are all hacked (or at least enough that I don't believe anyone who says otherwise), there is an option available if you want legit 6IV parents for jumpstarting your breeding projects: Breed certain species of pokemon to perfection until you have a pokemon that can act as a father for every egg group.

xl21tentwsli.jpg
    ^These 7 cover every egg group. You might need to wait until January to get some of these, however you can probably find alternatives that fulfill the same role. Once you've completed your set of patriarchs, you'll be able to breed most every pokemon as easily as somebody with a 6 IV ditto, but with the knowledge that you didn't rely on any hacked/modified pokemon for any part of your breeding program.

The only exception is when you try to breed genderless pokemon like Staryu. Then you're stuck either using dittoes or just a lot of staryu.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options

There are tons of places to get foreign 6iv dittos. I got mine from gamefaqs, im sure theres some place on reddit to get one too. I did manage to hatch a 6iv drampa before i got the ditto though, so its certainly possible to breed with only the 4iv dittos.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

There are tons of places to get foreign 6iv dittos. I got mine from gamefaqs, im sure theres some place on reddit to get one too. I did manage to hatch a 6iv drampa before i got the ditto though, so its certainly possible to breed with only the 4iv dittos.

Two 5-IV parents have pretty good odds of a 6-IV kid as is. 1/6 odds of carrying the 5 perfects down, 1/32 of the last being perfect, for just better than 1/200.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    I just decided I wouldn't bother breeding until I could port over my shiny 6 IV Ditto. Until then I'll Hyper Train the Pokémon I used in the story.

• Options
    R-KR-K Registered User regular
    @UncleSporky I am around if you want your pokemon, just let me know!

3DS: 2036-7005-8111 Shiny:2737
  • Options
    VahraanVahraan Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    HA Sandshrew and HA Vulpix get, I'm so excited to start getting this team up and running. Hopefully it's good enough without EVs/IVs/Natures to get me the BP I need to buy the items to start those things...

edit: Aw darn! You only get 1 Ice Stone for sure. Others need to be pulled from Poke Pelago. This is gonna take some time.

Vahraan on
    PSN: Gumbotron88 3DS FC: 0018-3695-0013 (Devon)
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Yeah those things reset every time you clear the E4 so don't sweat it too much. Hell I caught two of them in Quick Balls. I never use legendaries but my Tapu Bulu has some insane IVs.

Wait just to confirm...you can still only catch one of each, right? They don't "reset" and come back, it's just in case you kill them, right?

Yeah once you've caught one it's apparently up to you to protect that island directly.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I just decided I wouldn't bother breeding until I could port over my shiny 6 IV Ditto. Until then I'll Hyper Train the Pokémon I used in the story.

Yeah, I'm doing the same. I'll try to get a Destiny Knot and Everstone before Bank opens, but I'm gonna restart the game when it does anyway.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    @WingedWeasel
    While 6 IV dittoes are all hacked (or at least enough that I don't believe anyone who says otherwise), there is an option available if you want legit 6IV parents for jumpstarting your breeding projects: Breed certain species of pokemon to perfection until you have a pokemon that can act as a father for every egg group.

(nice picture goes here)

^These 7 cover every egg group. You might need to wait until January to get some of these, however you can probably find alternatives that fulfill the same role. Once you've completed your set of patriarchs, you'll be able to breed most every pokemon as easily as somebody with a 6 IV ditto, but with the knowledge that you didn't rely on any hacked/modified pokemon for any part of your breeding program.

The only exception is when you try to breed genderless pokemon like Staryu. Then you're stuck either using dittoes or just a lot of staryu.

Yeah, I remember starting this in XY until I got a 6 IV Ditto. I'm sure I could do it now very easily just by importing Pokemon from Gen VI through PokeBank, but at this point I think I'm just gonna keep on using dittos, just for the convenience of not having to think about egg groups / genderless issues.

I had kind of been hoping that Hyper Training would work for breeding so that I could go legit, but alas.

I really love PokePelago. I throw my Pokemon in before bed in Special Attacker and Attacker groups, and during the day I have a bunch of non-team Pokemon that I want to level up and evolve for Pokedex completion that play on the island. I don't see why people are upset that things take so long- its literally a zero effort way to make progress. Yes, actually playing the game is faster, but this way I can get work done while I am actually AT work. Reminds me of leveling pins up in The World Ends With You by not playing the game.

TDawg on
    NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Don't know if this was posted yet, BUT...

The Magearna QR Code has been released!
    For SM only. It doesn't expire, but you can't get Magearna until post-Elite Four.

Second-Chance Arceus is Live!
    For XYORAS only. The code is ARCEUS20, and expires on December 31st.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Ok so some actual in-practice examples. Kind of chosen at random, just wanted to use some of the new pokemon that I like. Not a real tournament situation.

An "average" pokemon in this case means all 15 IVs, ~21 EVs in each stat, neutral nature. Something you caught and trained randomly over the course of the game.

Ribombee vs. Decidueye, no held items:
    Lv. 100 average Docile Ribombee       Lv. 100 perfect Timid Ribombee

HP: 266                               HP: 262
    Atk: 151                              Atk: 103
    Def: 161                              Def: 156
    SpAtk: 232                            SpAtk: 289
    SpDef: 181                            SpDef: 176
    Spd: 289                              Spd: 381

Lv. 100 perfect Jolly Decidueye

HP: 297
    Atk: 313
    Def: 187
    SpAtk: 212
    SpDef: 236
    Spd: 262

Notice that the average Ribombee outspeeds Decidueye only by about 20 points, whereas the trained one massively outspeeds him. Still, either way you go first.

Damage calculation: if Ribombee uses Moonblast, which gets STAB but is of normal effectiveness against Decidueye, the average Ribombee deals 120 damage and the trained one deals 149 damage (on the high end, there's some randomness in how much you deal).

As far as Decidueye hitting back, there's not a lot of difference - if it uses Brave Bird you're dead either way, if it uses Spirit Shackle you live, etc.

If Ribombee is VERY lucky, the trained one can barely 2-shot Decidueye, but the other one can't.

Same Ribombees as above vs. Kommo-o, no held items:
    Lv. 100 average Docile Ribombee       Lv. 100 perfect Timid Ribombee

HP: 266                               HP: 262
    Atk: 151                              Atk: 103
    Def: 161                              Def: 156
    SpAtk: 232                            SpAtk: 289
    SpDef: 181                            SpDef: 176
    Spd: 289                              Spd: 381

Lv. 100 perfect Jolly Kommo-o

HP: 291
    Atk: 319
    Def: 287
    SpAtk: 212
    SpDef: 246
    Spd: 295

Because Kommo-o is 4x weak to Fairy and Moonblast is also a STAB attack for Ribombee, it dies in one hit either way: the average Ribombee deals 463 damage and the trained one deals 574 damage.

However, more important than that...notice that the average Ribombee is just barely too slow to outspeed Kommo-o, but the trained one definitely goes first. That's the difference between a loss and a win.

You can see comparing the two cases it's about 24% more damage, and 31% more speed.

EDIT: One more set of calculations, because I was curious. If you get the right nature and do your EV training, but just ignore all that IV breeding stuff because who has time for that, and we assume you've got 15 in all IVs:
    Lv. 100 EV-trained Timid Ribombee (minus IV breeding)

HP: 246
    Atk: 117
    Def: 140
    SpAtk: 273
    SpDef: 160
    Spd: 364

You can see it has the lowest stats compared to the others in many categories, because EV specialization subtracts a bit and the difference wasn't made up for with IV breeding. This Ribombee would deal 531 damage to the Kommo-o. Compared to an average one, this deals 14% more damage and has 26% more speed. However the affect on other stats like defense and HP is not insignificant.

Decidueye hitting average Ribombee with Ghost Shackle deals 198 of 266 HP, leaving 25% HP remaining
    Decidueye hitting perfect Ribombee with Ghost Shackle deals 205 of 262 HP, leaving 22% HP remaining
    Decidueye hitting EV/nature Ribombee with Ghost Shackle deals 228 of 246 HP, leaving only 7% HP remaining!

So there's some napkin math difference between messing with IVs or ignoring them.

Interesting stuff. Thanks for taking the time.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Oh wow, just fired up Pokemon X to get the Arceus they put back up and damn, I didn't realize how much they improved the graphics in Sun and Moon. The humans in X look like short deformed people with gigantic heads. The walking feels awkward too.

TelMarine on
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    TelMarine wrote: »
    Oh wow, just fired up Pokemon X to get the Arceus they put back up and damn, I didn't realize how much they improved the graphics in Sun and Moon. The humans in X look like short deformed people with gigantic heads. The walking feels awkward too.

Very jarring after so much Sun/Moon playtime

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    "Chibi" is the term. Personally I think I prefer that style for most of the game. At times the more realistc approach only has enough room for your legs to be one pixel wide and it looks like you're running around on sticks in sun/moon. That's mostly because of the limited resolution of the 3ds screen.

If you have a 3ds with custom firmware, you can run a hack to remove the outlines and IMO makes most of the characters look better. No more stick legs.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »
    TelMarine wrote: »

Very jarring after so much Sun/Moon playtime

The movement has been VASTLY improved. It seems in X, walking is only in a few directions that snaps to a grid (except for the bike). Very smooth in Sun/Moon.

• Options
    I wish they would go back to a grid, i hate moving with the slidepad joystick, let me use the dpad that is right under it :(

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Want to make some easy BP in battle Royale? Bust out the shiny new Mecha-waifu

Soul heart goes off every time a pokemon faints.

You don't even have to hit it so long as a pokemon faints while Magearna is out she will get a huge Special attack boost after a calm mind you're literally firing off full power Fluer cannons S-attack reduction be damned

Zunde on
  • Options
    R-K wrote: »
    @UncleSporky I am around if you want your pokemon, just let me know!

Sorry! We might be in too different of time zones. Also I went to bed kind of early.
    I wish they would go back to a grid, i hate moving with the slidepad joystick, let me use the dpad that is right under it :(

Yeah...while the shortcuts for ride pokemon are awesome, I could've used L/R/ZL/ZR for those too. D-pad didn't even need to conform to a grid, just act as full analog press in each direction. I just like the d-pad.

• Options
    Does the elite 4 scale?

After beating them once, they upgrade once, and never again.

http://www.serebii.net/sunmoon/elitefour.shtml

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    NO! KEEP YOUR FILTHY GRID AWAY FROM MY GORGEOUS ONE-SCALE ONLY POKÉMON GAME!"!!!
    eheh

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Magearna has a lot of options. I guess Modest is good. I guess.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular

Timid maybe? Though I guess its Speed might be too low to even invest in it at all.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    I should've checked serebii. It just struck me that I didn't recall them bring level 63.

I know that Pokemon from other trainers accelerated the breeding process but I didn't realize how much. Anyone want to swap 4IV dittos? I can check later what ones I have.

• Options
    Maz- wrote: »

Timid maybe? Though I guess its Speed might be too low to even invest in it at all.

Nah, it has Shift Gear. And Trick Room. Either one is fine.

• Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Potions? Revives? Full restores? What? *Holds hundreds of boxes of outfits*

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    bficky wrote: »
    Oh, so the older pokemon are in the newer games (Sun/Moon, X/Y) as well? That's not how I understood it, but that's good.

Yeah there's a decent chunk of older Pokes from all the older generations in Sun/Moon, though some are a bit different looking and have new features, like Rattata has a mustache and is Dark type instead of Normal

Slight correction: It's Normal/Dark.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Zunde wrote: »
    Want to make some easy BP in battle Royale? Bust out the shiny new Mecha-waifu

Soul heart goes off every time a pokemon faints.

You don't even have to hit it so long as a pokemon faints while Magearna is out she will get a huge Special attack boost after a calm mind you're literally firing off full power Fluer cannons S-attack reduction be damned

Have you tried this? Battle Royal uses the same ban list as the Battle Tree, so Magearna shouldn't be allowed to participate.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451