As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. [MOVIES]

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    nah, i'll double down.

i think it is an overreaction, because the assumption is that she takes pride in this story. if you look at a longer clip, it is the host that brings it up in the context of 'different cultures', she immediately groans and asks him how he knows about that story. she may or may not be 'woke' to cultural sensitivities, but the way she tells that story makes me think she recognizes that she was young and stupid and owns it as a mistake.

Fawst's reaction, in particular, gets under my skin, because he mocked her for feeling unsafe. as someone who feels unsafe and does suffer --at times-- out-of-control anxiety and not being subject to constant public scrutiny, i feel empathy for someone who uses laughter as a coping mechanism. i may not have very publicly desecrated a cultural site, but i have absolutely told stories of youthful folly with rueful laughter.

and it sucks that people aren't always respectful of others' culture! but you have to give people a chance to learn and atone. over and over again.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Baywatch seems like one of those 21 Jump Street movies and those movies make me feel empty inside for some reason and this has been a movie opinion from Chico MovieBuff Blue.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    pooka wrote: »
    nah, i'll double down.

i think it is an overreaction, because the assumption is that she takes pride in this story. if you look at a longer clip, it is the host that brings it up in the context of 'different cultures', she immediately groans and asks him how he knows about that story. she may or may not be 'woke' to cultural sensitivities, but the way she tells that story makes me think she recognizes that she was young and stupid and owns it as a mistake.

Fawst's reaction, in particular, gets under my skin, because he mocked her for feeling unsafe. as someone who feels unsafe and does suffer --at times-- out-of-control anxiety and not being subject to constant public scrutiny, i feel empathy for someone who uses laughter as a coping mechanism. i may not have very publicly desecrated a cultural site, but i have absolutely told stories of youthful folly with rueful laughter.

and it sucks that people aren't always respectful of others' culture! but you have to give people a chance to learn and atone. over and over again.

Oh okay that, sure. I guess I didn't read her telling of that story as self-aware at all, or get the impression that she was laughing at her own mistakes. Maybe that's uncharitable of me, but that's why it rubbed me the wrong way. And to be clear, I don't think doing one horribly insensitive thing is worth completely vilifying someone forever over either. I just felt that particular interview segment was uncomfortably horrifying. And I'm definitely understanding to her claims of being uncomfortable in public--it'd be incredibly hypocritical of me not to be.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I'm not unsympathetic towards people with actual anxiety issues--I have plenty of friends who deal with that. It's strained friendships in the past because they will make plans then cancel at the last second, all the time. And I respect the right to privacy for anyone, including celebrities. If you're out at dinner and someone's bothering you, yeah, I totally get that being uncool. Maybe I took it the wrong way, but the quotes I read from that story about her read more like "fuck you, you nobody, leave me alone, I don't want to deal with anyone ever" than "please respect my privacy." I'll totally mock someone for that stance any day of the week. If I did misunderstand her, then sure, I'll dial that back. Pretty sure she'll get by just fine regardless of my reaction.

• Options
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Baywatch seems like one of those 21 Jump Street movies and those movies make me feel empty inside for some reason and this has been a movie opinion from Chico MovieBuff Blue.

Back in the day when a lot of old TV shows were being remade as comedies, I had an idea for a version of Knight Rider where Ashton Kutcher played Michael. Younger me was kind of a fucking idiot. But I still think that movie could be made--just, you know, with a better choice for the lead.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I laughed twice during that Baywatch trailer, which is probably enough to mean I should see it if even the stupid marketing-chosen goofs they picked for their trailer worked on me. How much stuff that is actually even funnier did they pass over? A good sign. Also Dwayne Johnson.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Baywatch looks great

I've never watched the original show or anything, but that looks like a movie I'll enjoy

• Options
    I've seen episodes of the show. The movie looks about a thousand times better than the show actually was. That last section with the cop had me laugh out loud at work.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    nah, i'll double down.

Oh okay that, sure. I guess I didn't read her telling of that story as self-aware at all, or get the impression that she was laughing at her own mistakes. Maybe that's uncharitable of me, but that's why it rubbed me the wrong way. And to be clear, I don't think doing one horribly insensitive thing is worth completely vilifying someone forever over either. I just felt that particular interview segment was uncomfortably horrifying. And I'm definitely understanding to her claims of being uncomfortable in public--it'd be incredibly hypocritical of me not to be.

Yeah, I just did not get the sense that she was taking her mistake seriously at all, and it honestly looked like she was belittling their cultural beliefs.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Fawst wrote:
    Pretty sure she'll get by just fine regardless of my reaction.
    pretty sure she will be completely unaffected by this discussion. no snark needed.

for me, it is more about perception, and awareness. celebrities are just people in a particular circumstance. i think J Law is cute and funny, but i do not care, i am not emotionally invested, in what people think of her.

what bothers me about these reactions is...mm.. knee-jerk judgments, and how that speaks to viewing everyone. but i am someone who is very consistent in how i approach others, and i tend to assume the same. so if someone is making sincere, hyperbolic statements about a famous person, they seem kinda unhinged to me, because i don't get the cult of personality we build around celebrities. but it's also an instance of how our context informs our reading of a situation, and how we apply that in our daily lives. i am unsure how much people compartmentalize those reactions.

that's why i am not saying anyone else is wrong when i offer my alternative take on it. but i also think multiple views are important.

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aIzXYo6VCE
    Just saw this trailer during a Brooklyn Nine-Nine episode and man this movie looks kinda great?

It's no Vice Principals, but it'll do

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    That looks like it could be some fun trash

I couldn't do Vice Principals, personally

Danny McBride is just the most unpleasant person

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »

I used to work with a dude that was basically him! We were in opposite shifts, so that was good

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Baywatch sure wants to be Jump Street, huh

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Baywatch sure wants to be Jump Street, huh

And Jump Street is mostly amazing, so I'm okay with that.

• Options
    Well so far from that trailer I'm not sure it's pulling it off

• Options
    Anyway hey I've basically heard nothing about La La Land and now I'm looking into it and I super want to see it??

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I like Horrible Bosses very much

And that looks like a good comedic pairing

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

this looks like complete garbage and I'm going to watch and enjoy every single goddamn second of it

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    lord, people, we all make mistakes.

she was drunkenly retelling an embarassing story from when she was 22. those do not strike me as dismissive laughs so much as, "Yeah, that was stupid on multiple levels."
    She also super casually dismissed Hawaiian culture and did the awful white OH THOSE WACKY NATIVES thing

If she just causeD the landside scratching her ass sure that's just a drink misadventure but "sacred stones about ancestors or whatever" is some racist bullshit

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I don't know if that trailer shows it, but Fist Fight also has Tracy Morgan in it and I am very ready to start seeing that dude in stuff again

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I don't know if that trailer shows it, but Fist Fight also has Tracy Morgan in it and I am very ready to start seeing that dude in stuff again

Yeah, it looks like he's the gym teacher or coach or something

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I've never liked tracy morgan and that's just one of the reasons I don't have any urge to see that

• Options
    That Baywatch trailer is okay, but I really can't get past how blatantly they're copying the Jump Street thing

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    lord, people, we all make mistakes.

she was drunkenly retelling an embarassing story from when she was 22. those do not strike me as dismissive laughs so much as, "Yeah, that was stupid on multiple levels."
    She also super casually dismissed Hawaiian culture and did the awful white OH THOSE WACKY NATIVES thing

If she just causeD the landside scratching her ass sure that's just a drink misadventure but "sacred stones about ancestors or whatever" is some racist bullshit
    ahem!

Blank, i am also from Oklahoma; i am aware of stupid white people. part of my identity as a Native is choosing how to deal with erasure or disregard. and i try to assume ignorance before malevolence; the former probably causes the majority of harm, but there is at least an opportunity for growth. it's fine if she doesn't come across to you as self-aware or seems unabashed in that clip, but i disagree.

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I watched Warcraft and liked it, and think it actually set up for the second war pretty well, I hope they get to do it. They obviously muddled some stuff in the middle, but it ended basically on pace with where the state of WC3 starts with Blackhand dead, Doomhammer being Warchief and Gul'Dan mucking with things behind the scenes.

• Options
    I would probably give her more credit if there wasn't already a record of really dumb, insensitive comments that she has said about other issues, most notably eating disorders

I get where you're coming from and if it was the first thing I have heard her say that made me stop for a second then I would be with you but she has a history of being kind of a jackass

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I love Tracy Morgan in 30 Rock. I'm not sure I like him in anything else though.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I love Tracy Morgan in 30 Rock. I'm not sure I like him in anything else though.

I want to see the fake movies that his character in 30 Rock was in, more than the movies he's actually been in.

Javen on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Javen wrote: »

I want to see the fake movies that his character in 30 Rock was in, more than the movies he's actually been in.

Honkey Grandma Be Trippin' is a guaranteed box office phenomenon.

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Fawst wrote:
    pretty sure she will be completely unaffected by this discussion. no snark needed.

for me, it is more about perception, and awareness. celebrities are just people in a particular circumstance. i think J Law is cute and funny, but i do not care, i am not emotionally invested, in what people think of her.

what bothers me about these reactions is...mm.. knee-jerk judgments, and how that speaks to viewing everyone. but i am someone who is very consistent in how i approach others, and i tend to assume the same. so if someone is making sincere, hyperbolic statements about a famous person, they seem kinda unhinged to me, because i don't get the cult of personality we build around celebrities. but it's also an instance of how our context informs our reading of a situation, and how we apply that in our daily lives. i am unsure how much people compartmentalize those reactions.

that's why i am not saying anyone else is wrong when i offer my alternative take on it. but i also think multiple views are important.

TL;DR - Never "meet" your heroes.

Full disclosure: I didn't even watch the clip. But I was more adding fuel to the fire by commenting on statements from her that may or may not have even been in the context I perceived them to be/received them in. Even if what she said with that Hawaii story was only kind of stupid (as opposed to "FUCK WHITEY!" on the badness scale), it still makes me wish that all I knew about her was that she's a cute, funny actress who is fun at awards. Hearing stupid shit about/from famous people is just depressing.

I still stand by my recent "fuck Pratt" realization. That dog thing pisses me off the more I think about it. And I LIKE his work, and Anna Farris's. I've gone on record here, multiple times, saying that Roman Polanski is a piece of human trash, but I still think he made amazing movies. Chinatown and The Pianist are incredible. Fuck him, but those movies are great.

I'm all about Who Dat Ninja? personally. Probably the only thing that ever made me laugh to come out of 30 Rock.

Fawst on
  • Options
    Fawst wrote: »
    Fawst wrote:

TL;DR - Never "meet" your heroes.

Full disclosure: I didn't even watch the clip. But I was more adding fuel to the fire by commenting on statements from her that may or may not have even been in the context I perceived them to be/received them in. Even if what she said with that Hawaii story was only kind of stupid (as opposed to "FUCK WHITEY!" on the badness scale), it still makes me wish that all I knew about her was that she's a cute, funny actress who is fun at awards. Hearing stupid shit about/from famous people is just depressing.

I still stand by my recent "fuck Pratt" realization. That dog thing pisses me off the more I think about it. And I LIKE his work, and Anna Farris's. I've gone on record here, multiple times, saying that Roman Polanski is a piece of human trash, but I still think he made amazing movies. Chinatown and The Pianist are incredible. Fuck him, but those movies are great.

I'm all about Who Dat Ninja? personally. Probably the only thing that ever made me laugh to come out of 30 Rock.

What?

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I actually can't find much on the dog thing. Or rather, I'm finding a lot, but it's all parroting TMZ.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Walton Goggins has been cast as the main villain of the Tomb Raider reboot.

Hell yes.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    call me when they finally make a baywatch nights movie

https://youtu.be/FmdJTYNRDSw

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options

What?

To be fair, it didn't interest me at all. I was way into Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, and when it got cancelled and 30 Rock got renewed, I was irrationally annoyed. And that's not true about being the only thing, but it's the first thing I think of when I go for "things about 30 Rock that I have ever enjoyed." The only other one I can think of is Alec Baldwin ripping into Chloe Moretz with "the ocean's awesome, and for winners, YOU'RE for tools!"

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

Man, if you find Danny McBride in default mode to be unpleasant...

Ahaha, He is a literal monster in Vice-Principals.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Zonugal wrote: »

Man, if you find Danny McBride in default mode to be unpleasant...

Ahaha, He is a literal monster in Vice-Principals.

I tried the first episode of it

Every third thing he said was a rape joke

I do not have the tolerance for that

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    edited December 2016

What?

To be fair, it didn't interest me at all. I was way into Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, and when it got cancelled and 30 Rock got renewed, I was irrationally annoyed. And that's not true about being the only thing, but it's the first thing I think of when I go for "things about 30 Rock that I have ever enjoyed." The only other one I can think of is Alec Baldwin ripping into Chloe Moretz with "the ocean's awesome, and for winners, YOU'RE for tools!"

what on earth are you talking about

He was asking about "the dog thing"

Chincymcchilla on
    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    also Studio 60 was terrible

This discussion has been closed.