As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Go outside you Vitamin D deficient [chat]

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    a
    credeiki wrote: »
    zepherin wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    Update on Daughter and Honors Bio
    - Daughter was up late last night throwing up from anxiety. Which means I was up late (long after I said "g'night" to chat).
    - She talked to the councilor this morning. The school will not let her change classes just because she can't work with the teacher. She called my wife crying to tell her.
    - My wife decided to check the teacher's facebook page, found a gem from 2010 in which teach was "disappointed she doesn't get to teach upperclassmen this year" and needs to "start praying for a better attitude toward 9th graders".

Perhaps if I just move everyone to another school district? Fresh Start. Fucking hell. I get that she'll probably survive a C, but will I survive the stress and anxiety? Not to mention the absolute loathing for science this fucking teacher is instilling?

hmmmm...
    -is this something you/your wife can change by being a pushy obnoxious parent and storming in in person or like...getting a note from a therapist saying the bio teacher is making your daughter sick? I wouldn't expect your daughter to be able to change it by meeting with a counselor alone.
    -do you know if the teacher is a single bad apple and/or if the school is in general well-regarded and treats its students well?
    -I know how one bad teacher can turn someone off a subject but it would be quite sad if she disliked all science. Hopefully she'll like physics or something since that isn't connected to bio at all basically
    The school told me something about changing classes and I couldn't. My dad responded by going fucking ape shit ham on them until they did. Apparently there are ways around everything, if your confrontational enough.

Also Honors classes are bullshit.

What honors classes are really depends on the school set up, demographics, etc. I would not call them bullshit without understanding the situation.
    ...fair enough.
    Overrated. Is a better word. a B in honors classes doesn't make a college see it as any more than a B. AP classes at least carry college credit, but they are absurdly hard.

Best system I've seen is high schools that reimburse for community college classes. I know someone who was halfway through her associates degree when she graduated high school, already paid for.

Ok I have a super-skewed and annoying view of this because of my own hs experiences and any way I talk about it sounds braggy as fuck so let's just put it in spoilers
    Right, I mean I went to #1 school in the country (at the time; not sure if still true) which you have to test into, so we didn't have honors classes because 'every class is an honors class here' (lol), and APs were not particularly hard, and also mandatory in that various classes did not have non-AP options, and some mandatory classes had AP requisites. It was not permitted to take community college classes, but I believe 3 years of post-calc math were offered and possibly you could get college credit if you filled out paperwork.

...elite colleges generally don't accept APs for credit anyway though...

They definitely did back when I was applying!

What sucked was I couldn't get transfer credit for the calc and Spanish courses I took at UW-Madison because of some bullshit rule that boiled down to "we don't want people graduating from our university in less than 4 years".

Nowhere I applied (mostly liberal arts colleges, one engineering school) took aps for credit. I didn't apply to Ivies (cause I wanted a good undergrad education lol) but I heard they didn't accept them either. Some schools accepted them to let you place out of an intro class, but they did not decrease the # of classes you need to graduate.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    I recently converted my townhouse to an orphanage/school for spies (I dubbed it the Moloch Sreet Home for Youths of Unusual Aptitude) and I have undertaken the long and expensive process of trying to get the place fixed up and nice
    Much-needed help

You fill empty cupboards, warm cold rooms. You contract a tailor to alter the clothes to a suitable size. You purchase wooden toys (and ensure there are none of the more voracious clockwork variety among them). Your assistants line up the urchins in your parlour to explain how you, their benefactor, have just improved their lives. They have laid out a cold collation to celebrate the occasion.

One of your orphans wrinkles his nose. "Is this turtle-cheese? I 'ates turtle-cheese. Why don't we ever get nuffink nice?"

Another orphan is smearing something mucoid on the underside of your table. There is a yell as a small girl attempts to insert a small boy into an ottoman. It was ever thus.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    rockrnger wrote: »
    Shivahn wrote: »
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Grape Ape wrote: »
    For a forum that was so mad about the stream of unverifiable news coming out in 2016, it sure is excited about an unverified report with clear signs of being false.

It freaks me out so I haven't read in huge depth. What are the odds of it being false do you think? Like 90% or 50% or ?

Even Buzzfeed, that paragon of journalism, acknowledges that there's major discrepancies within the 36 page report they leaked. CNN has disclaimers about it being 'unverified'.
    At this point, who knows how truthy it actually is.

I think it's a mistake to give it any credence before it is independently verified, and news of that comes out.

Before then, I think it's very important that people have the good sense to self-reflect on this in light of the real pain that came out of fake news in the last year.

I've kind of reached the point where I consider people sheep to be manipulated through selective usage of information. But for actual principled people this is probably a good point.

One of the most traumatic things my ex went through was when she outed a friend who was defrauding folks on livejournal with a fake story about pet abuse. My ex called around to verify. Did the footwork and found out the whole thing was a sham.

When my ex posted about it, with all the research. Folks called her horrible and she got so much hate mail / posts. There are definitely people who don't give a shit if something is false or not. And will go to great lengths to uphold false shit if it meets their view.

It's one of the things that's made me really jaded about this whole fake news thing.

Human psychology is super abusable, but in the information age it is even more so. People self-bubble and self-select information, and this leads to extremism (groups become more extreme than any individual members over time because of various things like group norms. There are studies on all of this). People reject information that contradicts their worldview. Even when confronted with facts (which they aren't with modern systems, because of the self-selection of information and preemptive dismissal of differing narratives), most people don't change their mind. Convincing people is more about exploiting psychological loopholes, appearing similar to them, hitting a few things on the checklist that make you seem trustworthy, being an in-group member, and phrasing the thing you're trying to convince them of correctly while also mentioning that ultimately you agree with them, but <things>. Furthermore, algorithms exacerbate this bubble, because it causes news to self segregate and makes it that much easier to ignore that there are people who disagree, giving the appearance that everyone has that most people agree with them.

Therefore, control of masses of people is contingent only upon what information you can get into what bubble, and how you construct that information. The content is largely irrelevant. Facebook and Google could control America if they had interest beyond providing algorithms that allow fake news and group polarity to do so. And the worst part is, I don't know if there's any alternative.

Did you read the jury study I posted?

It's kinda neat.

Which one? I dunno if I saw.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Twitter suddenly full of "What the heck is he saying?" tweets.

Must be a Trump press conference.
    either that or My Bloody Valentine released a new album

Quality.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    rockrnger wrote: »
    For a forum that was so mad about the stream of unverifiable news coming out in 2016, it sure is excited about an unverified report with clear signs of being false.

It freaks me out so I haven't read in huge depth. What are the odds of it being false do you think? Like 90% or 50% or ?

Even Buzzfeed, that paragon of journalism, acknowledges that there's major discrepancies within the 36 page report they leaked. CNN has disclaimers about it being 'unverified'.
    At this point, who knows how truthy it actually is.

I think it's a mistake to give it any credence before it is independently verified, and news of that comes out.

Before then, I think it's very important that people have the good sense to self-reflect on this in light of the real pain that came out of fake news in the last year.

I've kind of reached the point where I consider people sheep to be manipulated through selective usage of information. But for actual principled people this is probably a good point.

One of the most traumatic things my ex went through was when she outed a friend who was defrauding folks on livejournal with a fake story about pet abuse. My ex called around to verify. Did the footwork and found out the whole thing was a sham.

When my ex posted about it, with all the research. Folks called her horrible and she got so much hate mail / posts. There are definitely people who don't give a shit if something is false or not. And will go to great lengths to uphold false shit if it meets their view.

It's one of the things that's made me really jaded about this whole fake news thing.

Human psychology is super abusable, but in the information age it is even more so. People self-bubble and self-select information, and this leads to extremism (groups become more extreme than any individual members over time because of various things like group norms. There are studies on all of this). People reject information that contradicts their worldview. Even when confronted with facts (which they aren't with modern systems, because of the self-selection of information and preemptive dismissal of differing narratives), most people don't change their mind. Convincing people is more about exploiting psychological loopholes, appearing similar to them, hitting a few things on the checklist that make you seem trustworthy, being an in-group member, and phrasing the thing you're trying to convince them of correctly while also mentioning that ultimately you agree with them, but <things>. Furthermore, algorithms exacerbate this bubble, because it causes news to self segregate and makes it that much easier to ignore that there are people who disagree, giving the appearance that everyone has that most people agree with them.

Therefore, control of masses of people is contingent only upon what information you can get into what bubble, and how you construct that information. The content is largely irrelevant. Facebook and Google could control America if they had interest beyond providing algorithms that allow fake news and group polarity to do so. And the worst part is, I don't know if there's any alternative.

Did you read the jury study I posted?

It's kinda neat.

Which one? I dunno if I saw.

https://www.apa.org/pubs/journals/releases/psp-904597.pdf

• Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I recently converted my townhouse to an orphanage/school for spies (I dubbed it the Moloch Sreet Home for Youths of Unusual Aptitude) and I have undertaken the long and expensive process of trying to get the place fixed up and nice
    Much-needed help

You fill empty cupboards, warm cold rooms. You contract a tailor to alter the clothes to a suitable size. You purchase wooden toys (and ensure there are none of the more voracious clockwork variety among them). Your assistants line up the urchins in your parlour to explain how you, their benefactor, have just improved their lives. They have laid out a cold collation to celebrate the occasion.

One of your orphans wrinkles his nose. "Is this turtle-cheese? I 'ates turtle-cheese. Why don't we ever get nuffink nice?"

Another orphan is smearing something mucoid on the underside of your table. There is a yell as a small girl attempts to insert a small boy into an ottoman. It was ever thus.

uhhhhh

what POSI upgrades can you get if you don't want your house to be full of Urchins?

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    a
    - Daughter was up late last night throwing up from anxiety. Which means I was up late (long after I said "g'night" to chat).
    - She talked to the councilor this morning. The school will not let her change classes just because she can't work with the teacher. She called my wife crying to tell her.
    - My wife decided to check the teacher's facebook page, found a gem from 2010 in which teach was "disappointed she doesn't get to teach upperclassmen this year" and needs to "start praying for a better attitude toward 9th graders".

Perhaps if I just move everyone to another school district? Fresh Start. Fucking hell. I get that she'll probably survive a C, but will I survive the stress and anxiety? Not to mention the absolute loathing for science this fucking teacher is instilling?

hmmmm...
    -is this something you/your wife can change by being a pushy obnoxious parent and storming in in person or like...getting a note from a therapist saying the bio teacher is making your daughter sick? I wouldn't expect your daughter to be able to change it by meeting with a counselor alone.
    -do you know if the teacher is a single bad apple and/or if the school is in general well-regarded and treats its students well?
    -I know how one bad teacher can turn someone off a subject but it would be quite sad if she disliked all science. Hopefully she'll like physics or something since that isn't connected to bio at all basically
    The school told me something about changing classes and I couldn't. My dad responded by going fucking ape shit ham on them until they did. Apparently there are ways around everything, if your confrontational enough.

What honors classes are really depends on the school set up, demographics, etc. I would not call them bullshit without understanding the situation.
    ...fair enough.
    Overrated. Is a better word. a B in honors classes doesn't make a college see it as any more than a B. AP classes at least carry college credit, but they are absurdly hard.

Best system I've seen is high schools that reimburse for community college classes. I know someone who was halfway through her associates degree when she graduated high school, already paid for.

Ok I have a super-skewed and annoying view of this because of my own hs experiences and any way I talk about it sounds braggy as fuck so let's just put it in spoilers
    Right, I mean I went to #1 school in the country (at the time; not sure if still true) which you have to test into, so we didn't have honors classes because 'every class is an honors class here' (lol), and APs were not particularly hard, and also mandatory in that various classes did not have non-AP options, and some mandatory classes had AP requisites. It was not permitted to take community college classes, but I believe 3 years of post-calc math were offered and possibly you could get college credit if you filled out paperwork.

What sucked was I couldn't get transfer credit for the calc and Spanish courses I took at UW-Madison because of some bullshit rule that boiled down to "we don't want people graduating from our university in less than 4 years".

Nowhere I applied (mostly liberal arts colleges, one engineering school) took aps for credit. I didn't apply to Ivies (cause I wanted a good undergrad education lol) but I heard they didn't accept them either. Some schools accepted them to let you place out of an intro class, but they did not decrease the # of classes you need to graduate.

Oh maybe it's a lib arts/engineering divide. Duke, Stanford and MIT all took them. But I wasn't graduating in less than 4 years with an engineering degree even with all those AP credits so that's probably why.

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Landshark if you could have your 5 year plan for raising #1 on my desk by tomorrow morning I'd, well

That would just be best for everyone

Okay

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Much-needed help

Okay so you're Varys now.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Hi chat!

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    No

Ok

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Landshark if you could have your 5 year plan for raising #1 on my desk by tomorrow morning I'd, well

Okay

OK well I'm meeting with the chat avatar committee and the chat welcome committee tomorrow morning can I get to you after lunch instead?

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

hmmmm...

...fair enough.

I think I got maybe 1.5 credits in college for all my AP classes.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Hi chat!

Hi FWW

The world is covered in fresh snow and it's so pretty

• Options
    a

hmmmm...

...fair enough.

Oh maybe it's a lib arts/engineering divide. Duke, Stanford and MIT all took them. But I wasn't graduating in less than 4 years with an engineering degree even with all those AP credits so that's probably why.

yeah, liberal arts can get very persnickety about what counts as a good education and certainly they aren't going to trust your high school to have provided you with something equivalent! And caltech is super into their core curriculum and as far as I remember also does not care about aps

speaking of college, my alma mater is working on ditching its genocidal mascot and one of the 30 or so new possible mascot options is the Fighting Poets and I am 100% in favor

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Hi chat!

Hi FWW

Don't eat the yellow snow!

• Options
    BeNarwhal wrote: »

Okay

OK well I'm meeting with the chat avatar committee and the chat welcome committee tomorrow morning can I get to you after lunch instead?

*writes something in his ledger with his left hand*

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Today in Rim World...

Fire took a raccoon and turtle to go sell in the next town over.

...then sent Fire to the next town over to sell the rest with another turtle and raccoon.

I'm helping!

*saunters down the road whistling, arms overflowing with pissed off animals*

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular

hmmmm...

...fair enough.

In my daughter's HS, "Honors" classes are the prerequisite for "Running Start", a program where HS kids in WA can take college level classes (AP) while still in HS and the credits count (to in-state schools, at least). She has no idea what she wants to study in college yet, but getting some core classes out of the way for free seems like a good deal.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Was.. was there an unverified story about Trump and piss?

Is this gonna be a white washed R Kelly thing?

Cause yo' that shit is digital.

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    yeah a clap takes some of the subtlety away but is probably necessary

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Kirsten Dunst and Jesse Plemons (fat damon from Fargo season 2) are engaged. How delightful.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular

hmmmm...

The school is generally regarded well. The teacher, I am told, has a reputation for being someone to avoid, but my daughter didn't hear this until school already started for the year, and I initially disregarded it as high schoolers being high schoolers; we all had that one teacher we "hated", but in retrospect, probably was at least semi-competent at their job. I can try to go be pushy, but I suspect they'll hold firm just to not set precedent.

I think at most schools a raging parent can get *a lot* done. I don't know whether your wife would have the time or volition to do it, but if she is a stay-at-home parent, she possibly has the freedom to just show up during business hours to meet with the guidance counselor? And you could try to escalate up to the principal and whatnot.
    And yeah, maybe you'd need a note from a therapist or something saying your daughter is being harmed by the class, but probably not.

I'm from NoVA which is the land of the pushiest and worst parents but they do generally get what they want.

My wife is conflict-averse. It would have to be me. Which means taking time off of work to go yell.

• Options

I thought that was what everyone was talking about but I guess y'all are talking about russia

Fkn

Boring

• Options
    the two poets traditionally associated with the college are Frost and Dickinson, so obviously Emily Dickinson with boxing gloves on is the best option, but it is also generic and so you could use a poet of any race or gender and have it be nice and inclusive/representative.

Very good mascot and captures the really stodgy and quirky spirit of the previous mascot without being offensive.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

It's more a story about Trump and blackmail by the russians.

And colluding with them for 5 years.

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    Much-needed help

I'm gonna rob it

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Good lord this press conference.

::stockpiles beans::

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Hi chat!

Hi FWW

I am jealous! I actually miss the snow. I don't really miss the 10 degree weather though. Of course the storms here finally stopped and it's gorgeous outside so no complaints here.

• Options
    For the record all I know is that some people were talking about trump and pee and ive just been rolling with it because I am very bored this morning

I didnt know there was much of a thing until grape ape yelled at everyone

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I'm investing in Lowes and Home Depot right now because I am positive they are going to see record sales on levels and sanders because half the country literally can't even right now

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Much-needed help

@Jacobkosh i haven't played much since i started seeking the name... i am scared but...

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Kirsten Dunst and Jesse Plemons (fat damon from Fargo season 2) are engaged. How delightful.
    oh yes the second most evil villain on Breaking Bad, after Skyler

• Options
    Got an email about converting my virgin america miles to alaska miles (and 10k free miles with a 30% bonus for conversion woo woo) and now I've gone down the rabbit hole on all my rewards membership stuff.

If I plan this shit properly I think I can get a mileage ticket to europe and burn a bunch of marriott points for a few nights for free in vienna!

• Options
    Ludious wrote: »
    I'm investing in Lowes and Home Depot right now because I am positive they are going to see record sales on levels and sanders because half the country literally can't even right now

This is the worst thing that has ever happened.

• Options
    Day 3 of the other side of day care and ollie is still not liking it. When we got there yesterday he was in full on meltdown mode. I'm sorry lil buddy.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I played LoL again. It has changed so much, wtf world. @Sir Landshark @credeiki

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    a

hmmmm...

...fair enough.

APs were absolutely accepted as credit at most places I applied and could significantly decrease your courseload.

I didn't apply to shitty schools.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

he'll always be Landry to me

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    The most damning proof that the Russians have compromising material on Trump is that the Russians are denying they collect compromising material on anyone.

Comrades. Really. You're not fooling anyone.

nibXTE7.png
This discussion has been closed.