As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

If It's Yellow Let It Mellow [Trump/Russia Scandal]: Timeline, News, Analysis

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    If so the higher power's troll-hand is.... strong.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    To paraphrase someone on twitter: it's kind of interesting that so far, not a single person has said "no, that doesn't sound like Trump at all" about that report.

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Khavall wrote: »
    Watergate hotel has literally burst into flames.

At this point a booming voice from on high yelling "THE ARISTOCRATS" wouldn't phase me one bit

Someone get Trump and some hookers over to the Watergate hotel to put out that fire!!

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Since we're all going to die before the 23rd, and my birthday is on the 23rd, I went ahead and bought this for myself for my birthday
    Was a SDCC exclusive figure

TRqmRgV.png

Ludious on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    To paraphrase someone on twitter: it's kind of interesting that so far, not a single person has said "no, that doesn't sound like Trump at all" about that report.

the peeing doesn't

but everything else is par for the course

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    That was totally in the wrong thread and I apologize but, come on "If it's yellow let it mellow" totally sounds like a chat thread title.

Jesus Christ. That's where we're at folks. I looked at my tabs absent mindedly and thought the title of a Presidential thread was a [chat] thread.

So really my post was on topic all along.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    twitter.com/deirdrewalshcnn/status/819277477747036160
    House Intel Committee voted to allow ALL House members access to classified hacking report, briefing by CIA, FBI, DNI, NSA chiefs on Friday
    There is no way that isn't leaking now. I have no faith that the House members will be able to keep their mouths shut.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Couscous wrote: »
    House Intel Committee voted to allow ALL House members access to classified hacking report, briefing by CIA, FBI, DNI, NSA chiefs on Friday
    There is no way that isn't leaking now. I have no faith that the House members will be able to keep their mouths shut.

Hm. Who's in charge of the House Intel Committee? It is unlikely they would have let it through if it contained any conclusive evidence that might damage Republicans.

EDIT: Chairman is Devin Nunes who recently told Fox he's been going "I told you so" about Putin being a dangerous guy only to be ignored by Obama (so how do you feel about Trump??) and that it's still incorrect to suggest that any of Russia's activities caused Clinton to lose.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/susan-jones/rep-devin-nunes-weve-been-warning-obama-about-russian-hacking-and-they-did
    "Although it remains true, the fact of the matter is, we would like to be friends with the Russians. I just don't know if it's possible. We’ve had a lot of experience with Putin. He just doesn't seem to be a guy that we can work with."

Nunes said that Donald Trump, with his Cabinet picks, "is surrounding himself with very good people who understand the threat that Russia poses."

So close, yet so far

IMO the classified report just goes into details about specific sources which will lend credibility to the assessment by seemingly naming concrete assets who provided details to the CIA/FBI, which Nunes supports, but without touching the implications of that behavior on the election. If it had I highly doubt they would have shared it to the whole House.

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »

Hm. Who's in charge of the House Intel Committee? It is unlikely they would have let it through if it contained any conclusive evidence that might damage Republicans.

Just from piecing together different little tidbits of reporting thus far, this is what I'm guessing happened:

- Trump met a guy somewhere, briefly, named Michael Cohen (of no relation to the Michael Cohen that Trump retains as an employee).

- This urMichael Cohen happened to be involved in shady espionage stuff and met with Russian intelligence officials in Prague.

- In an unrelated incident, Trump stayed at a hotel and paid sex workers to pee on him. The sex workers may or may not have been honey pots, and Trump may or may not have thought the bed he was using at some point was also used by the Obamas.

When the report was all tidied-up and sent out, someone confused urMichael Cohen with real Michael Cohen and this caused them to understandably panic a bit. The panicking was followed by a leaking of the report.

On the face of it, this looks like basically a glorified version of the Bill Ayers thing (Obama briefly meeting a guy who turned-out to be a terrorist, and people reading too much into that), with sex workers tacked on because its Donald Trump and of course. We'll find out when the actual contents of the report end-up being leaked by the House, but my money is currently sitting on this being a wild goose chase of one form or another.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »

Just from piecing together different little tidbits of reporting thus far, this is what I'm guessing happened:

- Trump met a guy somewhere, briefly, named Michael Cohen (of no relation to the Michael Cohen that Trump retains as an employee).

- This urMichael Cohen happened to be involved in shady espionage stuff and met with Russian intelligence officials in Prague.

- In an unrelated incident, Trump stayed at a hotel and paid sex workers to pee on him. The sex workers may or may not have been honey pots, and Trump may or may not have thought the bed he was using at some point was also used by the Obamas.

When the report was all tidied-up and sent out, someone confused urMichael Cohen with real Michael Cohen and this caused them to understandably panic a bit. The panicking was followed by a leaking of the report.

On the face of it, this looks like basically a glorified version of the Bill Ayers thing (Obama briefly meeting a guy who turned-out to be a terrorist, and people reading too much into that), with sex workers tacked on because its Donald Trump and of course. We'll find out when the actual contents of the report end-up being leaked by the House, but my money is currently sitting on this being a wild goose chase of one form or another.

Wasn't the full report leaked by buzzfeed?

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular

(Michael Cohen was not the only alleged point of contact)

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited January 2017

What? No, this is the classified version of the CIA/FBI/NSA report concluding that the Kremlin ordered a deliberate influence campaign in the US that was released last week, which has nothing to do with the leaked report (Pissgate) given to the FBI by the mysterious British ex-spy.

Hakkekage on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular

I thought the watersportsgate report was already leaked. This is talking about the classified version of the election hacking report, while separate thing.

• Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    I see this is going to get confusing

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular

What? No, this is the classified version of the CIA/FBI/NSA report concluding that the Kremlin ordered a deliberate influence campaign in the US that was released last week, which has nothing to do with the leaked report (Pissgate) given to the FBI by the mysterious British ex-spy.

Oh geez, sorry my bad.

It's still morning on my end (okay not really but my sleeping meds are still making me drowsy).

*brews tea*

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Ilpala wrote: »

Like watching primer if it were edited by Christopher Nolan

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

Ludious wrote: »

2017's writers are going to be thanking God that reality doesn't have to make sense.

• Options
    Ok there is confusion here. There are TWO REPORTS.

1. The Office of the Director of National Intelligence released an unclassified version of a larger report delivered to Obama and Trump last week summarizing their findings from the CIA/FBI/NSA and concluding with high/high/moderate confidence that the Russian government deliberately ordered an influence campaign in the US that initially focused on damaging Hillary Clinton's candidacy and then shifted to also promoting Trump. The classified version of this report, presumably the one delivered to Obama and Trump, will be released to the full House on Friday.

2. An anonymous British ex-spy and present Opposition researcher handed off his own collection of memos reporting on his findings from his network in Russia, including explosive suggestions that Trump is a groomed asset for Russian Intelligence and that the Trump campaign and Russian operatives have been engaged in a quid pro quo relationship for years, and that Russian Intelligence has compiled damaging compromising materials that would give them influence over his actions, and that one of these compromising blackmail items is Pissgate. There is no known US Intelligence report compiled that assesses the veracity of all or parts of this report.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    There was a lot of other shit in that report that doesn't involve Cohen, or pee, that is still hitting right up against "Knowingly involved Russia in American affairs"

I still can't believe that nothing seems to be happening yet....If whispers of this were around Obama, he would have been impeached immediately

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »

don't_believe_his_lies_jpeg.jpg

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    mcdermott wrote: »

I thought the watersportsgate report was already leaked. This is talking about the classified version of the election hacking report, while separate thing.

The raw dossier detailing the allegations of watersportgate and sent to the FBI was released by Buzzfeed; not a compiled report assessing it's validity or subsequent findings from the US IC which CNN alleges was finally presented to Obama and Trump.

E: But that is not the Hacking report the House will now get to see.

So there is
    The WSG Dossier (Released)
    The WSG Report (Classified)
    The Classified Hacking Report (Classiefied / To be released to general Congress)
    The Unclass Hacking Report (Released)

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular

1. The Office of the Director of National Intelligence released an unclassified version of a larger report delivered to Obama and Trump last week summarizing their findings from the CIA/FBI/NSA and concluding with high/high/moderate confidence that the Russian government deliberately ordered an influence campaign in the US that initially focused on damaging Hillary Clinton's candidacy and then shifted to also promoting Trump. The classified version of this report, presumably the one delivered to Obama and Trump, will be released to the full House on Friday.

2. An anonymous British ex-spy and present Opposition researcher handed off his own collection of memos reporting on his findings from his network in Russia, including explosive suggestions that Trump is a groomed asset for Russian Intelligence and that the Trump campaign and Russian operatives have been engaged in a quid pro quo relationship for years, and that Russian Intelligence has compiled damaging compromising materials that would give them influence over his actions, and that one of these compromising blackmail items is Pissgate. There is no known US Intelligence report compiled that assesses the veracity of all or parts of this report.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but a summary of #2 was delivered in the presidential security briefings, thereby giving it credence (after Mother Jones reported it months ago and every other news organization just sat around on it), which is what kicked off this entire thing.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    mcdermott wrote: »

The raw dossier detailing the allegations of watersportgate and sent to the FBI was released by Buzzfeed; not a compiled report assessing it's validity or subsequent findings from the US IC which CNN alleges was finally presented to Obama and Trump.

Ah, so there's a THIRD report out there we're waiting to see too? Fun.

• Options
    ArcTangent wrote: »

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but a summary of #2 was delivered in the presidential security briefings, thereby giving it credence (after Mother Jones reported it months ago and every other news organization just sat around on it), which is what kicked off this entire thing.

Right, sorry, my mistake. There is apparently a 2-page memo that summarized the findings in the British report that was presented to Obama and Trump (although the Trump camp is currently crying foul and saying they never got a paper). The memo does not indicate endorsement of the veracity/accuracy of all claims but does claim that the source and the source's network are credible.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    TIMELINE
    FIRST PAGE
    <3

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

No, the second report was part of the first report. The report to POTUS and PEOTUS was about the second (and the successful verification of the second as something to consider as at least partially legitimate)

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Goumindong wrote: »

No, the second report was part of the first report. The report to POTUS and PEOTUS was about the second (and the successful verification of the second as something to consider as at least partially legitimate)

The report to POTUS and PEOTUS contained a summary of the British dossier but was not ABOUT that dossier (the main point was about Russian interference and hacking, with a side dish of "And the Russians may have something serious on you, PEe....*snort* *giggle*...PeeOTUS")

To avoid further confusion, we should refer as follows: The former is the Official DNI Report (in two parts, classified and unclassified); the latter is the Dossier, a raw collection of memos from an unknown source.

Hakkekage on
  • Options
    MuddypawsMuddypaws Lactodorum, UKRegistered User regular
    So this pretty much confirms we are the evil mirror universe? brb applying stick on goatee.

• Options
    Muddypaws wrote: »
    So this pretty much confirms we are the evil mirror universe? brb applying stick on goatee.

We're definitely in the darkest timeline, yeah.

• Options

No, MP. What this means is that in the good universe where everything is great, you're an evil goatee-sporting asshole. You don't get to enjoy the world as a white hat in any timeline.

• Options

Do I need to go clean shaven? What's the mirror-protocol for beardos; just shave the goatee region?

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

Do I need to go clean shaven? What's the mirror-protocol for beardos; just shave the goatee region?

Grow an additional beard over your current beard.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    I'll do my best!
    Goumindong wrote: »

The report to POTUS and PEOTUS contained a summary of the British dossier but was not ABOUT that dossier (the main point was about Russian interference and hacking, with a side dish of "And the Russians may have something serious on you, PEe....*snort* *giggle*...PeeOTUS")

To avoid further confusion, we should refer as follows: The former is the Official DNI Report (in two parts, classified and unclassified); the latter is the Dossier, a raw collection of memos from an unknown source.

Ok. So we have

Released:
    One Blackmail Dossier
    One Public DNI Hacking / Interference Report

Unreleased
    One Classfied DNI Hacking / Interference Report which now includes a 2 page Blackmail Dossier Addendum

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    It remains worth noting that enough Trump and Trump campaign links to Russia were so obvious that back in July Josh Marshall published this piece. Ignore the salacious rumors and just focus on what's there and was general public knowledge and then think about the media.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Yes, it's the confirmation of the information that was previously brushed off as conspiracy theories.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    It remains worth noting that enough Trump and Trump campaign links to Russia were so obvious that back in July Josh Marshall published this piece. Ignore the salacious rumors and just focus on what's there and was general public knowledge and then think about the media.

Would the story be getting any traction without the salacious rumours?

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »

Would the story be getting any traction without the salacious rumours?

The salacious stuff is barely, if at all, being reported by the old standard news orgs.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I sweat to God this is like a boilerplate Tom Clancy novel. It even involves fucking Prague and an ex M16 spook with 'Steele' as a last name.

I'm expecting the sex workers to appear on TV any hour now, threatening to blow-up the U.S.S. Ronald Reagan with a nuclear device if their demands aren't met.

EDIT: Also the plot twist with the Michael Cohen being a different Michael Cohen from the original suspect.
    THANK YOU. Looks like it's out.

I'm glad it's not the Iraq WMDs guy. Confidence in memo: +17%

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    I sweat to God this is like a boilerplate Tom Clancy novel. It even involves fucking Prague and an ex M16 spook with 'Steele' as a last name.

I'm expecting the sex workers to appear on TV any hour now, threatening to blow-up the U.S.S. Ronald Reagan with a nuclear device if their demands aren't met.

EDIT: Also the plot twist with the Michael Cohen being a different Michael Cohen from the original suspect.

Well, this whole thing has been good for breaking people's spirits...

/dotamemes

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    PROXPROX Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Surfpossum wrote: »

Well, this whole thing has been good for breaking people's spirits...

/dotamemes

It's filtering throughout all major news channels. Steele went underground after WSJ broke the news. The man now fears for his friends and family.