As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo Switch: March 3rd 2017

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    When I bought my old phone there was a promotion where I got a free 200gb microSD card. I've since upgraded my phone to one that doesn't have microSD, so uhh, I guess I'll just put that card to good use now? The write speed on it is only 10MB/s (read is 90MB/s) but for $free I think I can deal with that for awhile. (Again, this is assuming the internet on the thing can make full use of my connection, if not no loss at all!)

Kyanilis on
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular

Also how the hell is 3D World a full gig smaller than NSMBU?!

they took the wahs out

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    they took the wahs out

You get 20 points
    It's a small world, after all?

This is exemplary, you get 100 points

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I'm not being negative, I swear. Just posting the shit that popups on my feed.

http://nintendowire.com/blog/2017/01/17/switch-wont-netflix-multimedia-functions-launch/
    "According to Nintendo’s Kit Ellis, this is because the Switch is intended to be a “dedicated gaming machine,” and thus won’t have Netflix and other stream services day one."

How long did it take Wii U to get Netflix?

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I mean "day one" isn't that big of a deal. But it seems like the eshop in its entirety won't be available day 1.

Will people who are getting theirs on the 3rd be able to get Zelda digitally?

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Hey guys, this is almost certainly not happening and not a rumor or anything but just an idea I had in my head.

I was thinking about playing Switch in "relaxed mode," where the joycons aren't slotted into anything and you can just lounge with your controller behind your head or whatever you want.

my favorite part of the presentation was how that one seat was brought out solely to get flopped on for like 5 seconds

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options

The big day 1 update added Netflix, Miiverse, the web browser and probably more.

The 3DS came out Feb 2011; Netflix on 3DS came out July 2011.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    god, am I really going to have to fix my Wii U?!

the more I hear about the switch, the less I want one =P

• Options
    edited January 2017
    UncleSporky on
  • Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    I really hoped that post January 12 we would be beyond stuff like... 'Maybe company X might bring game Y to the new Nintendo console?'

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Why?!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Why?!

Cause we just spent 4 years doing that and the answer was generally 'No, no it's not'.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    In all seriousness, an 'hd' rerelease of Skyward Sword would sit just fine with me. They could even do some magic with the new joycons to make the position sensing even better and add HD haptics so you can feel it every time Link drinks a glass of ice water potion.

I'd be for it only if they were able to also have a control mode that didn't require waggle. Because as a disabled gamer, fuck motion controls.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Kriegaffe wrote: »
    I really hoped that post January 12 we would be beyond stuff like... 'Maybe company X might bring game Y to the new Nintendo console?'

I don't see why we wouldn't generally be in favor of discussion about company X bringing game Y to platform Z?

Like that's pretty much what all gaming forums are based on. "Will Xbox get Final Fantasy." "Will Vita get Monster Hunter." I can't fathom a world beyond that, because it's fun to speculate.

UncleSporky on
  • Options

http://nintendowire.com/blog/2017/01/17/switch-wont-netflix-multimedia-functions-launch/
    "According to Nintendo’s Kit Ellis, this is because the Switch is intended to be a “dedicated gaming machine,” and thus won’t have Netflix and other stream services day one."

Aren't there a million and one ways to watch Netflix now? I mean, at worst, a Roku costs less than a brand new game (in the $35 dollar range).

I guess I just don't get the concern when you can watch Netflix on a phone, tablet, PC, smart TV, secondary device (like a Roku), other gaming systems, etc., and chances are anyone ordering a Switch has one of those other means of watching.

• Options

I don't see why we wouldn't generally be in favor of discussion about company X bringing game Y to platform Z?

Like that's pretty much what all gaming forums are based on. "Will Xbox get Final Fantasy." "Will Vita get Monster Hunter." I can't fathom a world beyond that, because it's fun to speculate.

That's fair. I didn't mean to shut down conversation.

I'm just hung up about the launch line up and that we're already in the Wii U situation of waiting/hoping for game announcements.

• Options
    Nightslyr wrote: »

Aren't there a million and one ways to watch Netflix now? I mean, at worst, a Roku costs less than a brand new game (in the $35 dollar range).

I guess I just don't get the concern when you can watch Netflix on a phone, tablet, PC, smart TV, secondary device (like a Roku), other gaming systems, etc., and chances are anyone ordering a Switch has one of those other means of watching.

because it's just one more thing that sets it apart from most other devices in a negative way.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    It seems a weird thing to be angry about especially by a group who just a few pages ago were making fun of MS for focusing on TV during the Xbox One reveal.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I love LA Noire

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular

I'm confused as to who would actually buy that. I'd figure that at this point everyone either has played it already, doesn't care about it, or won't be willing to pay twice as much as it costs on the PC.

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

because it's just one more thing that sets it apart from most other devices in a negative way.

Eh, it just seems really nitpicky/whiny compared to more fundamental issues like:

Nintendo's online strategy
    The cost of accessories
    The tiny amount of onboard storage memory it comes with
    No pack-in Joy-Con charging grip

If you're looking at the Switch as your media hub, then, yeah, that sucks. But most people aren't.

• Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    In all seriousness, an 'hd' rerelease of Skyward Sword would sit just fine with me. They could even do some magic with the new joycons to make the position sensing even better and add HD haptics so you can feel it every time Link drinks a glass of ice water potion.

I'd be for it only if they were able to also have a control mode that didn't require waggle. Because as a disabled gamer, fuck motion controls.

I get the impression that they are trying to have as many options as possible for all games with one option always being just a regular controller. I think they could do SS without motion control, although using two sticks might be awkward in it's own way. Wasn't there some Metal Gear game that used motion controls similar to SS but also just let you use normal controls?

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    Entaru wrote: »
    It seems a weird thing to be angry about especially by a group who just a few pages ago were making fun of MS for focusing on TV during the Xbox One reveal.

I didn't care about xbox TV or whatever it was

I'm just pointing out that at this point it's been a standard across many devices for years

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I picked up LA Noire for like 4 bucks on PS3. I ended up returning it.

I could too much time talking about why this would not be a good fit for the Switch, in my opinion.

...but, if it was retooled somewhat, or they took the tech behind the game and made something that refined its strengths on a new idea....I would be okay with that.

• Options
    Dritz wrote: »

I get the impression that they are trying to have as many options as possible for all games with one option always being just a regular controller. I think they could do SS without motion control, although using two sticks might be awkward in it's own way. Wasn't there some Metal Gear game that used motion controls similar to SS but also just let you use normal controls?

That'd be great. I have no problem with motion controls in theory. If other people can use them and like using them, awesome. It just shouldn't be the only control scheme available.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Why?!

Cause we just spent 4 years doing that and the answer was generally 'No, no it's not'.

The ride never ends.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    If the Switch ends up a success Nintendo will "release" a fake console that doesn't actually exist just so third parties can talk about potentially releasing games on it.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

The one negative I had about the Wii U (as I am one of the few to actually have loved most things about it) was when I figured out it can't play dvds. That kills me because it would be the only console I have up in the living room since the PS3 broke but now if I want to watch a movie, I need to use my PS2 I whipped up from the basement.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Being able to stream dvds to the tablet would have been pretty cool too.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Even though I can watch Netflix on my 3DS and Vita, my phone is the only portable I watch it on, because when I boot up said Vita or 3DS, I end up just playing a game instead. That's why I use my XBox One for Netflix. No games to distract me. Ba-dum tsss!

• Options
    I love LA Noire

I liked it except for the ending.

Love John Noble too, was surprised to see him in it.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    the first half of LA Noire was great. I was tired of it by 3/4 of the way through though.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    idk, 700 dollar cell phones ship with 32gb of memory.

the only people it matters to are power users, and they will buy sd cards. the majority of people buy physical. obviously i would prefer more memory, but 32gb base isn't the end of the world or anything, especially with such an easy upgrade mechanism as micro SDXC. I already have multiple 64gb cards sitting around, and I'll probably just pick up a 128 at some point when I feel the need. Given the relatively smaller size of Switch games so far, that'll probably be fine for me.

Yeah, this is definitely something to consider.

Switch may see some file size bloat, but keep in mind Wii U's game sizes.

7.6GB Hyrule Warriors
    6.3GB Mario Kart 8
    6.1GB Need For Speed: Most Wanted
    6.0GB Metroid Prime Trilogy
    6.0GB Monster Hunter Ultimate 3
    5.7GB Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
    5.6GB ZombiU
    4.5GB Pikmin 3
    3.0GB Mario Party 10
    2.8GB Kirby and the Rainbow Curse
    2.7GB Nintendoland
    2.3GB New Super Mario Bros. U
    1.8GB Splatoon
    1.6GB Super Mario 3D World
    1.2GB Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker

Not on that page: Wind Waker HD is 1.8 GB, Twilight Princess HD 4.5 GB.

If I get a 128 gig SD card, I can hold 25 copies of Mario Kart 8, or 35 copies of Pikmin 3, or 69 copies of new Super Mario Bros. U.

I can't imagine that Splatoon will have bloated the size of its resources too much, even as a sequel. I could hold 88 Splatoons.

Also how the hell is 3D World a full gig smaller than NSMBU?!

Nintendo has historically been very on top of minimizing file size. What's more worrying is third-party stuff and things that just can't compress that well:

Assassin's Creed III 17GB
    Batman: Arkham City 19GB
    Bayonetta 11GB
    Bayonetta 2 14GB
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut 13GB
    Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze 10GB
    Super Smash Bros. for Wii U 15.7GB
    The Wonderful 101 10GB
    Tekken Tag Tournament 2 16GB

It's still very conceivable to hit 32GB accidentally downloading a title you didn't realize was huge.

IDK. I think I'm fine with the upgrade path, I'm just a little salty still that I had to dedicate an entire 1TB drive to Wii U storage knowing damn well I'll never need more than quarter of it because 32GB was just uncomfortable enough and here Nintendo is, at it again.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I hated LA Noire so much. It's the one game I bought full price at launch that I regret the most.

The first main character is an unlikable cunt.
    The second main character can't possibly be more of a Marty Stu if he tried.
    There is literally only one correct path through every negeociation and deviation from that costs you.
    The wonderfully recreated city has jack shit to do in it.
    Every chase sequence has you run into countless invisible walls.
    The story has more plot holes in it than swiss cheese.

And this came after Red Dead Redemption which was fantastic in every way.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Looks like Disgaea 5 is releasing at launch as well. This would be awesome for me if I could somehow obtain a Switch.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Talith wrote: »
    Looks like Disgaea 5 is releasing at launch as well. This would be awesome for me if I could somehow obtain a Switch.

I have never played Disgaea but having a tactics RPG at launch sounds like a great accompaniment to Breath of the Wild. I will definitely grab it before it becomes impossible to find later too.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Onechanbara as a series has pretty much always had good gameplay. No one plays it because... Well, ya'know.

I love those games :)

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    eelektrik wrote: »

I have never played Disgaea but having a tactics RPG at launch sounds like a great accompaniment to Breath of the Wild. I will definitely grab it before it becomes impossible to find later too.

Has Disgaea gotten more crazy or less crazy since the first one? Cause the first one had random dungeons inside every weapon. I kinda liked it, but I was also a bit paralysed by options.

• Options
    Can you play Disgaea 5 without having played any previous game in the series?

I think I got about 20 battles into Disgaea DS once. Forget nearly everything about it.

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    eelektrik wrote: »

D5 imo is a huge deal - N1 has been porting their games to other systems but not anything current, steam is up to disgaea 2
    as far as I'm concerned, if released at the same time, the switch version will automatically be superior to the playstation version since it can be made portable, which disgaea games lend themselves to very well since they're turn based

re: can you hop in - sure, they're pretty much self-contained stories though there's typically a lot of cameos, particularly in dlc
    they tutorial you pretty good every time as well

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
This discussion has been closed.