As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LIVE. WORK. REPEAT.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Today is my first day of work after two weeks, and during the time I was out they moved our cubes to an area un-affectionately known as "the dark side" because the management (for other departments) is so sadistic to the workers under them. So far it's actually not been so bad? We are near the door and in our own little corner, so we don't have to interact with the rest of the empire. The dark side also has bigger cubes, so my desk space doubled and I got a little more of a privacy wall.

The downside is the rumor that we might actually start having to do the work of the dark side, which is straight-up call center work, receiving calls and troubleshooting people's computers or telling them how to program their TV remotes, that horrible shit. Hopefully that rumor ends up to be false.

Are there cookies, like so many internet memes have assured me there would be?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    There is a special hell for people who create file format specifications that are flat text, fixed width, but also have 5+ different kinds of records in them with fileds that don't line up, so you can't just throw into excel or something to troubleshoot.

A special hell.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    There is a special hell for people who create file format specifications that are flat text, fixed width, but also have 5+ different kinds of records in them with fileds that don't line up, so you can't just throw into excel or something to troubleshoot.

A special hell.

Are there spaces in the entries themselves? If not, use a text editor with regex replacement, like TextEdit, and replace [ ]+ with \t.

• Options

A special hell.

One of those hells where everything is like this world, but perfectly inoptimal. Every parking space is slightly too narrow for your car. You always just miss the yellow light at intersections. Never quite have enough change for a coffee. Etc.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Today is my first day of work after two weeks, and during the time I was out they moved our cubes to an area un-affectionately known as "the dark side" because the management (for other departments) is so sadistic to the workers under them. So far it's actually not been so bad? We are near the door and in our own little corner, so we don't have to interact with the rest of the empire. The dark side also has bigger cubes, so my desk space doubled and I got a little more of a privacy wall.

The downside is the rumor that we might actually start having to do the work of the dark side, which is straight-up call center work, receiving calls and troubleshooting people's computers or telling them how to program their TV remotes, that horrible shit. Hopefully that rumor ends up to be false.

Are there cookies, like so many internet memes have assured me there would be?

Cookies? Cookies are for HR.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    hippofant wrote: »

A special hell.

Are there spaces in the entries themselves? If not, use a text editor with regex replacement, like TextEdit, and replace [ ]+ with \t.

Notepad++ with regular expressions has saved me SO MUCH TIME when working with exported data. SO MUCH.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    And thus began the text editor holy wars......
    Sublime Text 4 lyf

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    My problem with the whole business card thing is, I've never been able to find a business card style I like.

And I don't just want to do black text on a white background and do it all myself.

There needs to be more peeps like you pipe.

Seriously though I will make you a business card if you want.

Serious question, since I've worked with graphics folks before. Say I wanted a logo for a small start-up and I wanted to pay the real rate to a real guy, rather than trying to cheat a bunch of graphics students grads. What would be the right price for doing a log sufficient for, like, a business card and an icon on a website?

Logos are literally the hardest thing to quote for because they're so personal and encompassing. The cost depends on so many factors - is the logo based on something that already exists? Do you have a clear idea of what you want? Are you going to want to make a million little changes and end up not being satisfied anyway?

Because a logo is basically your business' face, and every visual element related to your business from here to eternity is based on the logo it can be very difficult to get it to a place where the client is ready to say it's done.

Bottom line, if you, as a client, do a bunch of research and find an existing logo you like and think suits your business, and I design something based on that but customized, and if you're happy with the first or second iteration - I can do a logo for under a hundred bucks.

If you don't know what you want and want me to do the research, and want me to present you 3 completely different concepts and want me to combine aspects from all three concepts, and then not like the finished product and want me to start again with 3 more concepts, the costs can really rack up. Both of these scenarios are based on actual jobs I've done before, btw. Logos are complicated.

Well then, I may have a person interested in your services in a month or two....

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    SublimeText forever.

The issue is basically that for each patient there's an A record which is demographic and basic encounter information like admit date, location etc, and B records which have revenue codes, charge codes, and service dates. Also C through F records but they arent relevant in this instance.

They're all fixed width, and they're all in the same file. And since other then the initial few fields with the record type, patient ID, and record sequence number, the field breaks don't line up, i can't insert breaks wholesale. It'd truncate dates over here and codes over there. So I've been eyeballing it mostly.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SublimeText forever.

The issue is basically that for each patient there's an A record which is demographic and basic encounter information like admit date, location etc, and B records which have revenue codes, charge codes, and service dates. Also C through F records but they arent relevant in this instance.

They're all fixed width, and they're all in the same file. And since other then the initial few fields with the record type, patient ID, and record sequence number, the field breaks don't line up, i can't insert breaks wholesale. It'd truncate dates over here and codes over there. So I've been eyeballing it mostly.

I don't understand. If the fields are fixed width, how do the field breaks not line up?

• Options
    Because each line in the file may be a different record type. Like
    A
    B
    C
    A
    B
    B
    B
    C
    And the format of each record type is different.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    So, just got a call. The place I recently interviewed with wants to make me an offer, and would like me to come in tomorrow to finalize details. The words used included competitive salary. I don't want to get my hopes up too much, and I have an idea of the numbers based on a union contract I found online and the job posting. There is a number I can't go below, and the low range listed was just below that number.
    But I think I'll be OK. Fingers crossed.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    THE PREP TABLE IS FIXED THE DAY IS SAVED.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    A
    B
    C
    A
    B
    B
    B
    C

Ohhh, I thought each "record" referred to horizontal divisions not vertical ones.

Hmmm. Yeah. Can't think of a way to beat that with a text editor. Would need something programmatic.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

A special hell.

One of those hells where everything is like this world, but perfectly inoptimal. Every parking space is slightly too narrow for your car. You always just miss the yellow light at intersections. Never quite have enough change for a coffee. Etc.

Oh, no. What have I done? WHAT HAVE I DONE?!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    A
    B
    C
    A
    B
    B
    B
    C

Ohhh, I thought each "record" referred to horizontal divisions not vertical ones.

Hmmm. Yeah. Can't think of a way to beat that with a text editor. Would need something programmatic.

Yeah basically whoever built this system was like, "i need develop a way for people to import hierarchical data of wildly varying lengths. But I don't like dealing with multiple files, i don't know how to XML and I've never heard of JSON. I'll just be overly 'clever' i guess. "

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    I should say, in the interest of full disclosure, I've never JSONed myself. I work in health-care, so most of us know what it is, but never get to use it because legacy systems everywhere.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    A
    B
    C
    A
    B
    B
    B
    C

Yeah basically whoever built this system was like, "i need develop a way for people to import hierarchical data of wildly varying lengths. But I don't like dealing with multiple files, i don't know how to XML and I've never heard of JSON. I'll just be overly 'clever' i guess. "

Too goddamn real, man.

This is giving me flashbacks and they're not pleasant.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    My problem with the whole business card thing is, I've never been able to find a business card style I like.

And I don't just want to do black text on a white background and do it all myself.

There needs to be more peeps like you pipe.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YBxeDN4tbk
    Seriously though I will make you a business card if you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZVkW9p-cCU

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    So, I'm in the middle of process hell, the emergency change order that SHOULD have been done several hours ago is stalled out, and I found out that I'm not in the group I should be in to assign some of the work to myself.

Please make the hurting stop.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Can confirm, @#pipe is a great designer with good skills. He designed the logo that we used as our personal design for our wedding in 2013. He got our design exactly as desired and was super easy to work with. Would be happy to highly recommend people sending him moneys.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    @#pipe

how much for the full monty of a logo and business cards, $150-300 (assuming starting from scratch and I have no idea what I want, if I promise I won't abuse you)?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    Things continue to explode at work, I don't really care though.

And today I was officially offered my Masters place. I used to think I wasn't clever enough to go to university. Everyone is clever in their own way.

So proud of you!

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Don't know where else to vent, so apologies in advance.

But finding out at work that our family dog just died in the vet clinic during the night really puts you in a tilt. :( I carried her to the vet and everything. Sorry girl, wish we could've done more for you.

• Options

But finding out at work that our family dog just died in the vet clinic during the night really puts you in a tilt. :( I carried her to the vet and everything. Sorry girl, wish we could've done more for you.

:bro:

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular

There's nothing wrong with crying your eyes out over this. I remember my dog I had picked out at 10 or 11 died when I was 28 or so and I calmly sent an email saying I'd be working from home and basically cried for a solid hour.

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    And thus began the text editor holy wars......
    Sublime Text 4 lyf

No, TextWrangler! I'll gut you like a fish!
    TextWrangler is okay but I have literally never tried anything else.

• Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    We had our Parent Teacher conferences today after school. It was very boring, but I'll take the 4 hours of overtime.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I installed sublime and its as good as you people say.

Feeling better, but scheduling boss tried to retask me on my day off for a 4 hour shift.

I told him in no uncertain words that I was chilling today so that I would be healthy for my 6 am 12 hour shift on Saturday.

• Options
    I installed sublime and its as good as you people say.

Multi line selection and editing is amazing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Yes, I figure I'll write something in Renpy in what remains of my weekend and try to get my drawing to a passable state.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    The tropical cyclone downgraded to 10ml of rain and some gusty winds. A bit

8-)

Anticlimatic .

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Yup, going to work, first training shift at a new restaurant, line cook this time around.

My roommate told me to break a leg and my immediate response was, 'How about a thumb? Start small and work my way up.'

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    I am so stressed I want to fucking puke right now. I also can't sleep.
    Fuck this noise. I'm going to the doctor.

• Options
    RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular
    The tropical cyclone downgraded to 10ml of rain and some gusty winds. A bit

8-)

Anticlimatic .

YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAH

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I just had to explain to my boss, the principal of a school, why I wanted the teachers to let me know if a parent or the student tells them they are moving. I've been handling the students withdrawing from our school for two years now.

Goose! on
  • Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    It's always a little satisfying when you tell someone something about your job and they have an Oh Shit moment because they didn't realize all of the bullshit that you get put through.

It's even more satisfying when that person is your supervisor. She came into my office to ask about our communication plan and I got to pull out a dusty 5" binder as well as a second smaller binder with 7-year-old instructions and just hand them to her.

"This is what I have been asking the Director for permission to update and they keep putting it on hold. Feel free to take a look."

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Or you can have my manager and his attempts to out humor me
    I made light of how I am wandering around doing other people's jobs because I already did mine and I am quite bored

The comment made was are you trying to be a mascot or something?

My reply was You are a mascot if you do it on a field. You are a Furry if you do it in a hotel
    Everyone around me laughed and he walked off annoyed

Brainleech on
  • Options
    So, we're getting a new punch card system. It uses a tablet.

My boss was droning on and on during the meeting. My boss went "oh and I want to dock people $15 when they fail to punch in, we have to teach them a lesson" and I looked immediately at the guy doing the presentation like a deer in headlights. He looked back at me with the same look.

The office manager said nothing. So looks like I'm going to have to, on the down low, mention it in passing to people to watch their paychecks closely for being docked $15. That's, essentially, 2ish hours of minimum wage work for some people.

You can't just dock people's pay, boss. That's not how you go about correcting problem behavior just because you ignored it and no one wants to enforce policy. That's how you get people who quit because you're a douche bag.

Jesus christ-a-roni.

This discussion has been closed.