As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LIVE. WORK. REPEAT.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    So, now I get to see if the people managing a data feed that I need fixed have figured out why it's broken, and how to fix it.

Joy.

Followup: My counterparts on the enterprise side have figured out what I realized 30 minutes in on a tech bridge yesterday - the original assumptions for the feed no longer hold, and thus the algorithm is borked and needs correction.

The time frame on this is...unknown.

Meanwhile, a manual script fix has been written, and an emergency change has been put in the pipeline to deploy. Thus, I am now waiting on approvals.

Thus, oatmeal time.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    JenneroseJennerose Registered User regular
    I'm at the point with one of our divorce clients where I'm about to toss them and their spouse into a room together and let them just wrestle it out.

Pre/Post-nups aren't very romantic, kids, but it's a good idea to split up your property while you like each to avoid every piece of community property becoming A Symbol Of How You Were Wronged if you get divorced.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    L Ron Howard I encounter them occasionally. They are awesome. If you see them out in the bush they generally just run away or carry on with their business. They will come to houses and things to raid bins and if you try to take one on they will mess you up because they are tough as balls. In Kruger they raid the animal-proof dustbins in the camps and they are pretty chill, you can stand quite near and watch them if you just leave them alone.

That's awesome.
    You talk about snakes and many of the mighty cats, but I re-encountered THAT video on honey badgers the yesterday, and just had to know.

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    It is both humbling and terrifying when someone you know begins to make internal recommendations at a company.

"Please oh please don't let me make them look like an asshole." "Please oh please let this be worth their time and influence."

In related news - filing for unemployment in CA is a pain in the ass.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    It is both humbling and terrifying when someone you know begins to make internal recommendations at a company.

"Please oh please don't let me make them look like an asshole." "Please oh please let this be worth their time and influence."

Good luck with all that, man. Pulling for you. Also, shit, you're in Cali now? Damn.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    It appears that standing in the rain for four hours is bad for my health.

My pounding head and fluttering stomach testify to this conclusion. Dropped mom at work and have spent half hour at Starbucks. Mostly in car, laying down.

If it's at all possible, go to bed for the rest of the day and only get up to drink tea. You sound like you're at that very special dividing line between "a bad day" and "a bad two weeks."

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Just had to explain to our "IT Guy" about how to deal with the fact that the TIF file just opened "a white strip".

Took most of my willpower to avoid profanity when I explained "Zoom in".

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Just had to explain to our "IT Guy" about how to deal with the fact that the TIF file just opened "a white strip".

Took most of my willpower to avoid profanity when I explained "Zoom in".

should've told him he needed to "enhance" it

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Goose! wrote: »
    DrZiplock wrote: »

Good luck with all that, man. Pulling for you. Also, shit, you're in Cali now? Damn.

Appreciate it, amigo.

Yep. Moved out here for the gig that was...I live in West LA at the moment.

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    One of the best things about working in a clinic is not having to deal with billable hours, or at least not in the same way as one would at a firm

Also not having to chase down clients to make them pay their bill

But then there are all sorts of NGO issues in exchange. Like how I haven't had a raise or COL increase in... 3 years? :rotate: And the duties and client volume keep increasing...

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    SilverWind wrote: »
    One of the best things about working in a clinic is not having to deal with billable hours, or at least not in the same way as one would at a firm

But then there are all sorts of NGO issues in exchange. Like how I haven't had a raise or COL increase in... 3 years? :rotate: And the duties and client volume keep increasing...

What state do you work in? My mother works for a non profit dealing with family law and matrimonial work for indigent clients who are victims of domestic violence and it sounds very similar to what you're doing.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    damn, looks like a work friend was let go in january in the mass layoff.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    We have water tanks shared with another base nearby. Every day they switch on the pump and we switch it off when the tanks are full, usually about 4 or 5 hours later. They just rocked up at 7:30pm to tell us they only just switched it on. So now one of us is expected to go out in the middle of the night to switch it off. Because these guys are morons.

It is going off when I want to go to bed.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    God damn do I hate Skype interviews.

Like, cool, I don't technically have to wear pants, but I get weirdly conscious and nervous about my posture and body language during on camera interviews in a way that never happens in person.

Most of it is just because it's such a pain to look at the camera instead of the giant face on the screen; even with my monitor lowered all the way down it feels like my webcam is just a little bit too high to be comfortable.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    So I've been pretty depressed in my job lately. The management is really frustrating and there is zero chance for growth (in fact, when a member of my team was fired, his work just became our work with no mention of extra money). And even though I've been looking for something better for a year or so, and taken a couple of interviews, nothing I would consider taking has panned out.

Recently my wife got a big promotion and she's earning a decent amount more than I am, and has a lot of capacity to move upward in the near future. Also recently my parents came into some money and split a large amount of it between my brothers and I, specifically only to use as a downpayment on some property or an investment or something big and important.

Now is the time. Over the next few months I'm making the move to being a self-employed graphic designer.

It's something I've always wanted to do, but have always been terrified of. But as soon as my wife and I started talking about it, we realized I'm in a better position to do it now than I ever have been, and it would be more beneficial to do now than ever before.

It's scary, but exciting. I bought a domain - that's how I know it's really happening.

edit:
    http://pipe-dream-design.com/

#pipe on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Couldn't go in to work today because I got out of bed, walked to the alarm clock to turn it off, and kept right on going into the wall left of it. Then I walked out of my room and into the cupboard to my left. The doorway into the living space was similarly struck on the left side and it was about this time I realized that I wasn't tired but that my balance really was pitching to the left. It's not major or debilitating, but when I get up to move to another location I have to consciously correct my course to not walk into things. I've already played impromptu bumpers cars with the kitchen counter, my chair, and every doorway in the apartment.

Hope this clears up by tomorrow.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    So I've been pretty depressed in my job lately. The management is really frustrating and there is zero chance for growth (in fact, when a member of my team was fired, his work just became our work with no mention of extra money). And even though I've been looking for something better for a year or so, and taken a couple of interviews, nothing I would consider taking has panned out.

Recently my wife got a big promotion and she's earning a decent amount more than I am, and has a lot of capacity to move upward in the near future. Also recently my parents came into some money and split a large amount of it between my brothers and I, specifically only to use as a downpayment on some property or an investment or something big and important.

Now is the time. Over the next few months I'm making the move to being a self-employed graphic designer.

It's something I've always wanted to do, but have always been terrified of. But as soon as my wife and I started talking about it, we realized I'm in a better position to do it now than I ever have been, and it would be more beneficial to do now than ever before.

It's scary, but exciting. I bought a domain - that's how I know it's really happening.

edit:

Fuck yeah, dude. Go for it. That's awesome. Good luck.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

edit:

that is fucking awesome, though, bro!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Hell yes Pipe, get that money.

Boss sent a text earlier saying that the prep table is down (temp reading at 52 degrees). This means that I'll be working out of the reach-in and walk-in refrigerators today, and maybe tomorrow.

Hooray.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    What kind of graphic art stuff do you do pipe?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Things continue to explode at work, I don't really care though.

And today I was officially offered my Masters place. I used to think I wasn't clever enough to go to university. Everyone is clever in their own way.

• Options
    Congrats, Liiya!

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Thank you!!

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    What kind of graphic art stuff do you do pipe?

I am not an illustrator at all. I specialize in large complex documents (I'm currently working on a 200+ page catalogue including thousands of images and product listings) using automation and scripts to keep everything consistent, making something incredibly complex take as little time as possible.

I have an unusual amount of experience with packaging. I've done a ton of logos and branding, stationery, flyers and brochures, magazines, signage, advertising, posters, clothing, email marketing, website concepts...

I'm also a pretty decent copywriter and I'm hoping to spend a little capital and use some of the early time before getting a lot of clients to learn HTML and also how to screen print. I also have a bunch of production contacts and I'm really keen in offering a concept to completion service so a client can ask for a business card and the finished product is literally a box of business cards, not just a PDF that they send to a printer.

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    SilverWind wrote: »

What state do you work in? My mother works for a non profit dealing with family law and matrimonial work for indigent clients who are victims of domestic violence and it sounds very similar to what you're doing.

That sounds like an amazing organization!

I'm in Ontario. :D My organization helps for areas of law not covered by legal aid funding. We have a lot of volunteers, both lawyers and law students, to facilitate services. I'm usually coordinating intake and consultation / duty counsel representation at one of our offices, but I get to offer summary advice / representation on files as well. There's just a lot to do! And a lot of people who need help. And very little time and resources.

More and more these days, I'm enjoying the volunteer training and knowledge management side of things and I hope to expand in that direction over time.

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    My problem with the whole business card thing is, I've never been able to find a business card style I like.

And I don't just want to do black text on a white background and do it all myself.

There needs to be more peeps like you pipe.

• Options
    My problem with the whole business card thing is, I've never been able to find a business card style I like.

And I don't just want to do black text on a white background and do it all myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YBxeDN4tbk
    Seriously though I will make you a business card if you want.

• Options
    can you make it shoot confetti at people when they flip it over

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular

Serious question, since I've worked with graphics folks before. Say I wanted a logo for a small start-up and I wanted to pay the real rate to a real guy, rather than trying to cheat a bunch of graphics students grads. What would be the right price for doing a log sufficient for, like, a business card and an icon on a website?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Serious question, since I've worked with graphics folks before. Say I wanted a logo for a small start-up and I wanted to pay the real rate to a real guy, rather than trying to cheat a bunch of graphics students grads. What would be the right price for doing a log sufficient for, like, a business card and an icon on a website?

Logos are literally the hardest thing to quote for because they're so personal and encompassing. The cost depends on so many factors - is the logo based on something that already exists? Do you have a clear idea of what you want? Are you going to want to make a million little changes and end up not being satisfied anyway?

Because a logo is basically your business' face, and every visual element related to your business from here to eternity is based on the logo it can be very difficult to get it to a place where the client is ready to say it's done.

Bottom line, if you, as a client, do a bunch of research and find an existing logo you like and think suits your business, and I design something based on that but customized, and if you're happy with the first or second iteration - I can do a logo for under a hundred bucks.

If you don't know what you want and want me to do the research, and want me to present you 3 completely different concepts and want me to combine aspects from all three concepts, and then not like the finished product and want me to start again with 3 more concepts, the costs can really rack up. Both of these scenarios are based on actual jobs I've done before, btw. Logos are complicated.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Logos are literally the hardest thing to quote for because they're so personal and encompassing. The cost depends on so many factors - is the logo based on something that already exists? Do you have a clear idea of what you want? Are you going to want to make a million little changes and end up not being satisfied anyway?

Because a logo is basically your business' face, and every visual element related to your business from here to eternity is based on the logo it can be very difficult to get it to a place where the client is ready to say it's done.

Bottom line, if you, as a client, do a bunch of research and find an existing logo you like and think suits your business, and I design something based on that but customized, and if you're happy with the first or second iteration - I can do a logo for under a hundred bucks.

If you don't know what you want and want me to do the research, and want me to present you 3 completely different concepts and want me to combine aspects from all three concepts, and then not like the finished product and want me to start again with 3 more concepts, the costs can really rack up. Both of these scenarios are based on actual jobs I've done before, btw. Logos are complicated.

This is a good answer and sufficiently detailed. Thanks!

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Yep, and it's rarely "just a logo". It's "here's your logo with title on a site", "here's the logo on sportswear", "here's the logo on a business card", "here's your branding banner", "here's your stationery workup" etc. as any one of them could end up a weird deal-breaker.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Please tell me your company's net worth and I will tell you what I will be charging for this logo design.

• Options
    $-50

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I'm really keen in offering a concept to completion service so a client can ask for a business card and the finished product is literally a box of business cards, not just a PDF that they send to a printer.

As a small business startup guy myself with general technical knowledge but a dumb brain for good printing/layout/whatever, this kind of thing sounds like a godsend. Good luck, I'm sure you're gonna kill it.

• Options
    Houk wrote: »
    I'm really keen in offering a concept to completion service so a client can ask for a business card and the finished product is literally a box of business cards, not just a PDF that they send to a printer.

As a small business startup guy myself with general technical knowledge but a dumb brain for good printing/layout/whatever, this kind of thing sounds like a godsend. Good luck, I'm sure you're gonna kill it.

Thank you!
    Production stuff is weird, because a small startup might just take the artwork to Kinkos or Staples or whatever, whose business model is designed around short run printing and convenience. You'll pay 100 bucks for 50 badly printed business cards and feel like you're getting a deal.

Whereas I've been doing this for long enough that I know who to call and what questions to ask so that I can literally get you 1,000 business card for 17 dollars. If I work production into my billable services, I can take a percentage of that and still be saving the client money on production.

• Options
    Houk wrote: »

Thank you!
    Production stuff is weird, because a small startup might just take the artwork to Kinkos or Staples or whatever, whose business model is designed around short run printing and convenience. You'll pay 100 bucks for 50 badly printed business cards and feel like you're getting a deal.

Whereas I've been doing this for long enough that I know who to call and what questions to ask so that I can literally get you 1,000 business card for 17 dollars. If I work production into my billable services, I can take a percentage of that and still be saving the client money on production.

Well now you've got my attention.

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    My company's logo ended up costing like 350$, and we had no clue so it seemed okay and we were happy with the price and enjoy our logo.

• Options
    Liiya wrote: »
    Things continue to explode at work, I don't really care though.

And today I was officially offered my Masters place. I used to think I wasn't clever enough to go to university. Everyone is clever in their own way.

YES!!

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Today is my first day of work after two weeks, and during the time I was out they moved our cubes to an area un-affectionately known as "the dark side" because the management (for other departments) is so sadistic to the workers under them. So far it's actually not been so bad? We are near the door and in our own little corner, so we don't have to interact with the rest of the empire. The dark side also has bigger cubes, so my desk space doubled and I got a little more of a privacy wall.

The downside is the rumor that we might actually start having to do the work of the dark side, which is straight-up call center work, receiving calls and troubleshooting people's computers or telling them how to program their TV remotes, that horrible shit. Hopefully that rumor ends up to be false.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
This discussion has been closed.