Options

[Mass Effect: Andromeda] Ryders on the Tempest

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Speaking of, I wonder what the bonus ability for Vangod is going to be?

Something to do with close range combat, I assume.

"Whenever you kill an enemy with a melee weapon, your skill cooldowns reset."

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular

Borderlands style proc-on-kill skills would be amazing.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

I mean for like an actual power. Like if Sentinel was getting an active power tech armor I would imagine Vangod would get something like that not a passive boost.

• Options

I mean for like an actual power. Like if Sentinel was getting an active power tech armor I would imagine Vangod would get something like that not a passive boost.

Every class-specific bonus we've seen so far has been a passive though.

Soldier - Temporary damage bonus after killing an enemy (stacks with itself).

Engineer - Decreased cooldowns on tech skills and damage to enemies that get within close range.

Infiltrator - Something to do with detecting enemies, possibly seeing them through walls or on the mini-map.

Explorer - Something to do with versatility, possibly faster weapon swap speed and skill casting speed.

The only classes whose descriptions we haven't seen are Adept, Vanguard, and Sentinel.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017

Every class-specific bonus we've seen so far has been a passive though.

Soldier - Temporary damage bonus after killing an enemy (stacks with itself).

Engineer - Decreased cooldowns on tech skills and damage to enemies that get within close range.

Infiltrator - Something to do with detecting enemies, possibly seeing them through walls or on the mini-map.

Explorer - Something to do with versatility, possibly faster weapon swap speed and skill casting speed.

The only classes whose descriptions we haven't seen are Adept, Vanguard, and Sentinel.

Yes, people have said that each one has a passive thingy and a specific POWER. I'm talking about the power part. And if that's not true that means that Tech Armor is not even in the game at all.

Also, god I would be annoyed if it was a power that only triggered on melee weapons... shotgun has been a part of Vangod from the start.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    And if that's not true that means that Tech Armor is not even in the game at all.

Given the evidence we have so far, I think that's more likely (not sure where this rumor about each class having a unique active skill came from).

It would make more sense to just give the Sentinels class a lot of heavy defensive bonuses to approximate the effect of Tech Armor (minus the detonation part).

• Options
    ReddayeReddaye Registered User regular
    Are classes even really classes anymore? I thought they were "profiles" now, and could seemingly be switched whenever?

Or am I mistaken?

• Options
    Reddaye wrote: »
    Are classes even really classes anymore? I thought they were "profiles" now, and could seemingly be switched whenever?

Or am I mistaken?

Yes.

But when those profiles follow certain guidelines as is being discussed above they give you certain bonuses.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Sorce wrote: »
    Ryder yelling out "I. AM. KROGAAAAN~!", Drack sighing as he cocks his shotgun.

"Fuckin' wannabe."
    I would kill for an NPC that thinks they're a krogan becuase of a raised by wolves sort of situation.

Every time they start getting angry, they insinuate they're about to go into a blood rage and start angrily running around with their hands in the air.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    WolveSightWolveSight Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Sorce wrote: »
    Ryder yelling out "I. AM. KROGAAAAN~!", Drack sighing as he cocks his shotgun.

"Fuckin' wannabe."
    I would kill for an NPC that thinks they're a krogan becuase of a raised by wolves sort of situation.

Every time they start getting angry, they insinuate they're about to go into a blood rage and start angrily running around with their hands in the air.

The new Conrad for this new galaxy?

253J736.png
  • Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    It occurs to me that if Bioware ever releases a remastered trilogy they could add references to the Andromeda Initiative in all three games.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    MasterOfPupetsMasterOfPupets Registered User regular

Or am I mistaken?

Yes.

But when those profiles follow certain guidelines as is being discussed above they give you certain bonuses.

I'm assuming it's going to depend on what combination of powers you choose, kinda like how me1 was divided up.
    All biotic - Adept
    All tech - Engineer
    All combat - Soldier
    Biotic+combat - Vanguard
    Tech+combat - Infiltration
    Biotic+tech - Sentinel
    All 3 - Explorer.

Explains why they had to create just 1 new 'class'

XBL = MoP54
    PSN = PessimistMaximus
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options

Or am I mistaken?

You can switch whenever you want, but unlocking the classes in the first place requires committing a certain minimum number of skill points into a specific combination of the three skill categories (combat, biotics, and tech), and each of the classes rank-up (provide better stats and passives) by investing even further into their respective combinations.

Soldier, Adept, and Engineer require you to invest a large amount of points into a single skill category to rank up. Vanguard, Sentinel, and Infiltrator require you to invest a moderate amount of points into two skill categories. And Explorer requires you to invest a small amount of points into all three.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I just noticed in the combat trailer that you can invest points in the weapon skills like shotguns.

So I guess I'll be prioritizing points in Charge, Nova and Shotguns first, and maybe a single point in Cryo Beam to give me three abilities.

Then I'll start investing points in Combat Fitness, Offensive Biotics and Barrier as the enemies become stronger.

Once those are maxed, then I'll just dump points in whatever abilities seems useful.

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    I don't think you need to spend any points in active skills just to use them, only to upgrade them.

As long as you're okay with your active skills being kinda crappy, you could theoretically only invest points into passive skills for the entire game.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Gotta have that Carnage shotgun rocket blast tho

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    ... crap, I totally missed the signups for the multiplayer beta. I forgot ME:A was this close.

Bah.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    ... crap, I totally missed the signups for the multiplayer beta. I forgot ME:A was this close.

Bah.

dang, I did too. I didn't even realize that was a thing.

• Options
    Male Ryder is officially 6'1"

Excellent.

• Options
    Dac wrote: »

Bah.
    Beta test was dead to me the minute I noticed no PC one.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    PC beta would be all slow russian connections anyway...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Is that not the ultimate test?

• Options
    edited February 2017
    Was surprised to find out Nolan North isn't the voice of MaleRyder. Apparently it's Tom Taylorson who just sounds exactly like him.

..I can't not hear Nathan Drake now if I roll a dude Ryder.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Nolan North's voice is like the white man voice version of chicken.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    I expect they'll be playing it safe but I really hope they added some new modes to multiplayer.

I could totally go for enemy waves in a small arena against for 100 more hours, don't get me wrong but more variety would be nice.

Small multiplayer story campaigns with actual dungeons is my dream here but I know thats not likely to happen. Maybe in Andromeda 2 or 3.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    ME3 but more movement options is enough variation for me. Please not another abortion like Dragon Age: Inquisition's MP.

So, is it confirmed how multiplayer classes will work? Will it be like single player and you pick a set of powers with an overall set of benefits dictated by a 'class' and race choice? Or will it be ME3's set race/class powersets?

• Options
    I expect they'll be playing it safe but I really hope they added some new modes to multiplayer.

I could totally go for enemy waves in a small arena against for 100 more hours, don't get me wrong but more variety would be nice.

Small multiplayer story campaigns with actual dungeons is my dream here but I know thats not likely to happen. Maybe in Andromeda 2 or 3.

I dunno they tried story stuff in Da I it was not that great.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Did Microsoft ever get that thing straight where people on Xbone could play multi with people on PC? I remember reading about that but I haven't heard about it in a while.

EDIT: Asking because I plan to play on PC but I have a friend who'd go Xbone. Would be nice if Microsoft finally let us play together.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Preacher wrote: »

I dunno they tried story stuff in Da I it was not that great.
    To be fair, DAI was never going to work as multiplayer to begin with. I wish it could have turned out better but it was doomed from the start.

With Mass Effect's combat system, its a natural fit and much more fast paced. I think its more worthwhile exploring it here than it was in DA.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    Honestly, what they fucked up most with DA:I, for me, was the netcode.

Rubberbanding all over the fucking place, infecting half the games I played. Even when I checked in months later it was still an issue for many players. Ugh.

So yeah. As someone that would have happily kept paying out money for expansions to ME3's multiplayer if they had kept making it, I will be perfectly happy if they can deliver the core experience and fluidity intact.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    I just really want them to go hog wild with a big standalone Mass Effect multiplayer game.

I would pay fifty bucks for that. Easily. I need that shit in my veins.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    I can almost guarantee we won't get it at release, but I dearly hope we get Volus Vanguards again.

Volus Vanguard + Batarian Gauntlet = the most fun I've had in a horde mode ever.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Volus Vanguards are just literally cannonballs.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Good old GreenManGaming. Preordered at 23% off. Now the waiting game really begins...

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    I'd love it if there were Left 4 Dead style maps. Just working your way from one end to the other, killing massive numbers of enemies as you go.

• Options
    ReddayeReddaye Registered User regular
    Also grabbed myself a copy from GMG at 23% off. Crazy to think a week ago I wasn't even paying attention to this game. Feels nice to be excited for a new Mass Effect game. It's been a while.

• Options
    I'd love it if there were Left 4 Dead style maps. Just working your way from one end to the other, killing massive numbers of enemies as you go.

I dunno since I've had a son I'm more fine with maps that can be completed in a reasonable time frame and not a multiplayer thing where its like "Strap in this isn't done for another 40 minutes."

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

I dunno since I've had a son I'm more fine with maps that can be completed in a reasonable time frame and not a multiplayer thing where its like "Strap in this isn't done for another 40 minutes."

I was thinking a single map, not a campaign. One map in L4D is usually 5-10 minutes.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    You could do story campaigns in multiplayer by chapters.

Along the lines of 10-15 minutes each than a full on 40 minute marathon.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Thanks everyone, I just pre-ordered. Damnit, this is all your fault. I hope you're happy with yourselves. I missed out on the hype for the original trilogy because I bought the whole thing way late but massively on sale. Was a good time. Hopefully this one will be enjoyable as well. I just hope I'm not in the middle of something else when it drops.