Options

JRPG Thread: Suikoden is fun to say.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I don't even think I have a favorite jRPG protagonist.

Maybe an interchangeable top 10 though.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Eh, it's pretty easy for me:
    Yuri Volte Hyuga (Shadow Hearts 1&2)
    Virginia Maxwell (Wild Arms 3)

Notible Mentions:
    Hiro (Lunar 2: Eternal Blue)
    Stocke (Radian Historia)
    Estelle Bright (Trails in the Sky 1 & 2)
    Alicia of Dipan (Valkyrie Profile 2)
    Lenneth Valkyrie (Valkyrie Profile)
    Yuri Lowell (Tales of Vesperia)
    Others that I'm probably forgetting at the moment...

For Mute 'you select the dialog' Protagonists:
    Devil Survivor 2's MC. He has the best dialog choices by far.

Reserving judgment on Velvet till I refresh Berseria.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Alright, this leader is all of one level above my party and only my wizard can deal better than single digit damage. I have killed everyone else on the stage. This is dumb.

e: He ran away at low health. That probably saved me 15 minutes. Barf.

Cromarty on
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    I know there's a thread for it now but just finished Bersaria and that is now in my all time jrpg a with maybe my favorite jrpg protagonist of all time

So what's your all-time JRPG list

hmm

in no order,

Tales of Bersaria
    FF 9
    Shining Force 2
    Lufia II
    Persona 4
    Secret of Evermore
    Chrono Trigger
    Grandia II

I'm trying to think of more recent jrpgs but I just haven't been caught by a lot of them in the past 10 years

Tales of Vesperia maybe

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Eh, it's pretty easy for me:
    Yuri Volte Hyuga (Shadow Hearts 1&2)
    Virginia Maxwell (Wild Arms 3)

Notible Mentions:
    Hiro (Lunar 2: Eternal Blue)
    Stocke (Radian Historia)
    Estelle Bright (Trails in the Sky 1 & 2)
    Alicia of Dipan (Valkyrie Profile 2)
    Lenneth Valkyrie (Valkyrie Profile)
    Yuri Lowell (Tales of Vesperia)
    Others that I'm probably forgetting at the moment...

For Mute 'you select the dialog' Protagonists:
    Devil Survivor 2's MC. He has the best dialog choices by far.

Reserving judgment on Velvet till I refresh Berseria.

I'm pretty partial to the Prince from Suikoden V as far a silent protagonists go.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I bought Ys Origin on a whim

I...shouldn't have done that, I don't think

I don't know why I thought it, maybe due to the age of the series, but for some reason I figured it would be an old school-ass old school JRPG

When I started playing and it was like "here you go, fast-paced real time combat" it caught me off guard

I'm not writing it off just yet but it's like picking up a can of Pepsi and taking a swig of it when you thought it was a Mountain Dew can

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    the Ys series is something I really like but its really not like anything else in terms of how it plays

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    I bought Ys Origin on a whim

I...shouldn't have done that, I don't think

I don't know why I thought it, maybe due to the age of the series, but for some reason I figured it would be an old school-ass old school JRPG

When I started playing and it was like "here you go, fast-paced real time combat" it caught me off guard

I'm not writing it off just yet but it's like picking up a can of Pepsi and taking a swig of it when you thought it was a Mountain Dew can

Origins was a fun romp when I played it.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Ys origins was a game I really, really liked. try and stick through to the second boss and see if it does anything for you. I played as yunica, hugo didn't do anything for me.

playstyle it almost feels like a top down zelda with killer bosses that you fight while an electric guitar wails in the background

Jars on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Ys games are incredibly fast.

VII and OiF are my favorites.

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    Ys origins was a game I really, really liked. try and stick through to the second boss and see if it does anything for you. I played as yunica, hugo didn't do anything for me.

playstyle it almost feels like a top down zelda with killer bosses that you fight while an electric guitar wails in the background

I played as Hugo. Had fun with him too.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Started up Dark Cloud II (PS4 emul-port) over the weekend. I'd almost forgotten how charming this game is, even though it's also weirdly bleak and dark at the same time. I never beat it before, so I'm excited to get far enough to see brand new things. I figured I should start this before picking up Horizon, Breath of the Wild, and the final DS3 DLC since it's such a comparatively primitive action-RPG. I'm really glad I did, though, this game's great.

Still making progress in WoFF.
    Finally got Shiva proper, and it's utterly amazing the way she holds the other two stacked characters in her hand to the side like that.

The Crystal Tower goes on fucking forever. I thought I'd finally reached the end when the background changed and this ominous thing was just ahead past the save point, but nope, gotta warp back down and do two more side paths! At least they changed up the mirage lists. I said "fuck that" and finally went down to the base of the tower and beat Titan. And by "beat" I mean "Imprismed" because I was doing like 50 damage a hit to his 40k or whatever HP. Luckily I was rocking the Left and Right Claw mirages, so I was immune to Gaia's Wrath and had double-attack skills to crit fish for the Imprism requirement.

At some point I should probably go back and do more Interventions. I have a truckload of Arma Gems now. They had gotten a bit too difficult before, but Crystal Tower has given me nearly 10 levels, so I should be able to handle a whole lot more (cleaned out a ton of the Coliseum too, though I still don't see much of a point to it beyond unlocking Shiva / Ifrit / Ramuh). The rewards are mostly throwaway, even the one-time ones. Probably more useful stuff later, but why have all the chaff in-between?

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    Tcheldor wrote: »
    Jars wrote: »

I played as Hugo. Had fun with him too.

I played through with the third character a bit too and he was more Ys style but overall I prefer yunica/adol

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Thwarting a terrorist attack one day, agonizing over what to do for the school festival a few weeks later. Oh the trials and tribulations of being a jrpg teenager!

Towa is being pretty cagey about what she and the others did for their performance last year.

... a style of music that hasn't caught on in the Empire? That you wouldn't see in the opera house?

Oh my god was Towa the singer in a heavy metal performance? If this isn't what happened I will be incredibly sad.

Aistan on
  • Options
    smaller2wij9k.png

Yay for imports and region free! This makes two Engilsh Super Robot Wars games I own now. But this one's a real one.

Yakuza Ishin! is a bonus. It's the one console Yakuza game I didn't own yet. That one's sadly not translated, but at least there's good guides on the internet.

• Options
    Earth trend continues. The free 10-pull in GBF gave me Eustace and the new Zeta SSRs, then I got Ca Ong and fire Metera in the next one. I think I have most of the high tier earth SSRs now.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    GIVE ME DARK ZETA

• Options
    GIVE ME DARK ZETA

I saw a lot of posts on Reddit that basically were this. Is she good or is it just because she's adorable?

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I'm really hoping I manage to pull Orchid during these free 10-draw days that fall on legfest

Today all I got was that new Wind SR dude who is infatuated with Vira

• Options
    Artereis wrote: »
    GIVE ME DARK ZETA

I saw a lot of posts on Reddit that basically were this. Is she good or is it just because she's adorable?

Yes

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Gamewith has given Dark Zeta a tentative 9.0, other 9's include Forte, Veight, Black Knight, and Lady Grey

(Orchid is at a tentative 9.5 currently, her self buff must be real stronk)

EDIT: Generally speaking, anyone rated 9.0 or higher is totally good and viable

Maddoc on
  • Options
    9.0 won't anchor a team but I have anchors for days

• Options
    Super Robot Wars V comes with a Day 1 DLC code for two bonus scenarios, a bonus mecha, and a PS4 theme and needs a Singapore/Malaysia/Thailand/Indonesia account to activate. A Hong Kong account won't work.

Looks like I'm making my 5th PSN account.

• Options
    Is it a dynamic theme?

Fuck, I really can't buy any more shit right now

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I'm really hoping I manage to pull Orchid during these free 10-draw days that fall on legfest

Today all I got was that new Wind SR dude who is infatuated with Vira

Wait, multiple 10-draw days?

Fuck, I thought I'd kicked the GBF habit but the prospect of free rolls for shinies is alluring.

SSR: Satyr and Quetzalcoatl

• Options
    7 days of free 10 pulls.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I managed to get Juliet today. Which goes well with my Lucio and such.

Basically I'm in possession of a totally top tier light team totally by accident and I have no desire to build a grid for it since I already have dark to work on and it's painful.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Thwarting a terrorist attack one day, agonizing over what to do for the school festival a few weeks later. Oh the trials and tribulations of being a jrpg teenager!

Towa is being pretty cagey about what she and the others did for their performance last year.

... a style of music that hasn't caught on in the Empire? That you wouldn't see in the opera house?

Oh my god was Towa the singer in a heavy metal performance? If this isn't what happened I will be incredibly sad.

Alas. Just normal j-rock.

Maybe Class VII's concert will be more extreme.

• Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Is it a dynamic theme?

Fuck, I really can't buy any more shit right now

Nah, just a standard one.

Currently using the Nier Automata themes myself at the moment. I love the icons and sound effects. They're stylish, understated, and don't plaster the game's title all over the screen.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Let's see what I get from the free pull...Lucifer and Anila.

So now I've got 4 Fire SSRs. And three of them are '9.0' tier. I guess the game is telling me something.

Edit: And a ticket got me Heles, so that's five. Double Edit: De La Fille and Sophia. So that's three Light as well, along with that Lucifer. Huh.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Granblue event just went live

Need to sleep, but I had to play through the first chapter just to recruit Lyria ASAP

Kind of sad that the Light unknown is a dang Harp, but it'll do to fill a slot for now I guess

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    One of my SSR pulls was a duplicate Romeo weapon

*sad trombone*

My two other SSR pulls (I did the free one and 2 crystal pulls) were Arulumaya (earth version, so I now have 2 earth SSRs) and Gilgamesh (Earth summon)

Really hoping I pull a Dark Zeta; partly because my dark team is a bit weak right now, but mostly because I love her design

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    English SRW is super tempting, but I don't know if I should get it.

I couldn't get more than halfway through the two GBA ones without cheating. Fuckers were hard and I had no idea what I was doing wrong.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    turtleant wrote: »
    English SRW is super tempting, but I don't know if I should get it.

I couldn't get more than halfway through the two GBA ones without cheating. Fuckers were hard and I had no idea what I was doing wrong.

There's multiple difficulty modes, including an Easy/Beginner mode.

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    https://youtu.be/L7JSXkUSUl0
    It’s called Final Fantasy XIV: Daddy Of Light and is apparently the first time that FF has been the basis of a live-action TV show.

According to Model Press, the show is about the bond that develops between a son and a father while playing the popular MMORPG Final Fantasy XIV.

It’s inspired by a Japanese blog by a FFXIV player who wrote a series of posts called “The Father of Light” about his 60-something year-old father playing the online game. (Note that the Japanese title 光のお父さん or “Hikari no Otousan” is the same for the blog and the TV show. The official English translations are slightly different.)

Final Fantasy XIV: Daddy Of Light will star Ren Osugi, who often appears in Beat Takeshi’s films, as the father. Yudai Chiba will play his son.

The TV drama will mix live-action and in-game scenes to tell the father and son’s story.

Final Fantasy XIV: Daddy of Light will debut on Japanese television this April.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    Thank god he's not a Lalafel.

• Options
    This GBF event is so good

They must have been prepping for this for a long time with all the characters they brought back for it

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    It's good that the Tales talk was expunged from the JRPG thread, so it could get back to being the Granblue thread.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    It's good that the Tales talk was expunged from the JRPG thread, so it could get back to being the Granblue thread.

Yea.

I'm not quite sure why a current jurp got booted from the jurp thread so that it could go back to being a phone game thread.

Wrrrryyyyy

This discussion has been closed.