As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Friends of Dorothy [Chat]

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    a
    Aioua wrote: »
    look I just want hope that I can escape from ever-increasing rent prices at some point

let me have that hope

you came to the wrong place buddy

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    yeah actually pony do you have a specific example

(I don't care about spoilers at this point)

Off the top of my head, basically everything to do with Skylar, who essentially existed to be contrary and generate conflict regardless of whether or not it made internal sense for her to be opposed or upset by something.

having watched a bunch but not all, that seems plausible to me

in the first 1.5 seasons at least her motivations, while annoying like her everything was, worked real for me
    like when walt is like, I don't want to treat it, I want to go out with dignity, and skyler can't understand and is hurt and all that, that was some great shit and a great example of the "make characters collide" thing

like nobody there was just being dumb or not saying just because

but... come to think of it I... can't remember if much more happens with her in what I've watched

besides her being increasingly like "walt what the fuck is going on" which, well, yeah

but I could easily see her tipping into too unreasonable

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Just submitted an apartment application. I'd love to join the homeowner club but when I last inquired they basically laughed at me because my debt to income ratio. Wheee student loans.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    So I thought I was going straight from KC to Baltimore, psyche you gotta stop at Chicago sucka. You tricked me southwest.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    TV characters are often fundamentally bad at communicating like functioning adults in a way that is both infuriating and kind of gross.

Like, it actually really bothers me how often that is used as the central point of conflict or drama in television, that these people can't fucking talk like grown ups. It would be fine on characters who are otherwise characterized as man-children or something but it's just portrayed as normal and it's like ugh

No.

i've kind of just stopped watching shows once the plot revolves around two or more people just not fucking saying "hey guy this is bothering me" or "hey i have super contagious zombie cancer, sure i'll be the head chef of this colony"

so infuriatingly stupid

Yeah CW shows while having a lot of good, also have like an instinctual need to have characters hide information to make the plot work.

Only show I thought it kind of made sense with was Izombie and even then there were dumb moments of secrecy.

yeah, i mean, not trusting society with your secret? makes sense

not trusting your friend who already knows your secret with a new detail that probably wouldn't even matter to them? i guess we get four episodes of conflict out of it

and i even liked izombie but fuck that was frustrating at times

Yeah they had less of it than like Arrow or Flash does, but it did grate at points.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    spaghetti and meatballs acquired

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

gas station spaghooter and balls?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    the thing which i found most troubling re: water policy was the research highlighting that well-intentioned policies to increase the cost of water could make the situation worse, since gross water used is not equal to net water used - changes in agricultural practices to reduce gross water use could increase water loss through transpiration

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

not this time

• Options
    I have so many goddamn shows I haven't finished

...actually I think game of thrones may be the only one I have finished and that's not even done yet

it is stressing me out

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I understand not liking a show because you find the characters insufferable. With Breaking Bad, I understand that's pretty easy to do. They're all pretty horrible people.

But saying the show objectively sucks because it doesn't mesh with your personal experiences is... well, myopic as hell. And pretty closed-minded.

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Just submitted an apartment application. I'd love to join the homeowner club but when I last inquired they basically laughed at me because my debt to income ratio. Wheee student loans.

Did you forget to rent out that condo your mom gave you to supplement your 200k job that you got upon graduation?

• Options
    finishing sopranos has taken me 15 years so far

still not there

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

Wait this is a thing?

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    So I thought I was going straight from KC to Baltimore, psyche you gotta stop at Chicago sucka. You tricked me southwest.

chicago is neither south nor west what is this

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options

Wait this is a thing?

no

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    With a lot of those acclaimed HBO type shows I watch like an episode or two and then I'm like engh

and then I go back to watching cartoons

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    haha that's rad

RTJ just released a limited edition set of hoodies and bags handmade by El-P's mom

desc

I legit thought this was a reference to Lewie P's Mom for like 3 refreshes of this [chat] page.

Then I realized that RTJ wasn't Robert Downey Junior, it was Run The Jewels, and for some reason that made me re-think the Lewie P's Mom connection.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Hot Take: Breaking Bad was boring as hell after the first two seasons, to the point I gave up in S4.

• Options
    I understand not liking a show because you find the characters insufferable. With Breaking Bad, I understand that's pretty easy to do. They're all pretty horrible people.

But saying the show objectively sucks because it doesn't mesh with your personal experiences is... well, myopic as hell. And pretty closed-minded.

That's an entirely overboard accusation and a big mischaracterization of "I did not find the characters believable"

which was all pony said, except with more words and linebreaks because pony

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

Wait this is a thing?

no

Oh are they giving you shit because of your shit diet?

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    It's funny The Expanse is a sci-fi show but the way they portray their characters is quite human.

It's actually one of the things I like about it.

If you notice, it's also a thing people praise Game of Thrones for

Like yeah it's got zombies and dragons and shit like that but it also has petty politics and backstabbing and people being dickheads for selfish, relatable reasons.

One of the reasons I've never been a huge fan of "high fantasy" like Lord of the Rings is because characters don't act like people. They act like legends. Like Biblical characters or Platonic ideals. In Tolkien's case this was intentional, in the case of a lot of other "high fantasy" it's just because they're trying to ape Tolkien and/or they're bad at writing people who act like people (RA Salvatore I am scowling in your direction).

Early TNG has a bit of this too, the characters are inordinately stiff and weird and unpersonlike, largely because Gene had these ideas about what future-people were like so again, it was an intentional affectation. But it also meant, for example, there were no interpersonal conflicts on the Enterprise because Gene believed those weren't a thing in the future? Lmao

Later TNG and DS9 were better about this stuff.

• Options
    yeah actually pony do you have a specific example

(I don't care about spoilers at this point)

Off the top of my head, basically everything to do with Skylar, who essentially existed to be contrary and generate conflict...
    Let me introduce you to my brother

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i've only stopped watching a handful of shows because they just got too dumb for me to take

like the walking dead

the only reason i watched that so long is because it was a hangout night thing but i couldn't take it anymore

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Just finished a 12 cup pot of coffee

Blood pressure was 112/68

*sips*

Every once in awhile this stupid shell works well

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    I like Legion because it meshes well with my experiences as a maybe crazy mutant.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Show I did on Monday put up very high quality pics

I am not photogenic

• Options

Wait this is a thing?

no

yes

• Options

That's an entirely overboard accusation and a big mischaracterization of "I did not find the characters believable"

which was all pony said, except with more words and linebreaks because pony

He said they don't act like people, like flat out. That people do not act like that.

I'm here to tell you... oh boy, yeah they do.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    The Walking Dead is an excellent interactive TV show

I hear the non-interactive version can be p dumb tho

wandering on
  • Options
    7ku1fxk78jgq.jpg

• Options

Wait this is a thing?

no

yes

You should maybe work on it, tho.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    it's just so fucking depressing

I could get the loans

but every house within an hour of civilization starts at like $400k

so cool I always wanted to pay two fucking grand a month for my mortgage :eh:

who are all these people pulling down 150k a year

like honestly the market doesn't even make sense... people are here working but they're not all making that much money

is everyone just house poor

scraping by paying 2/3rds of their income on rent or mortgage?

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    guys i've only watched the first episode of breaking bad

and this was because person of interest got super fucking boring

like ok cool samaritan sweet oh were still doing the boring episodic save random people thing? ok sure ok

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    i've only stopped watching a handful of shows because they just got too dumb for me to take

like the walking dead

the only reason i watched that so long is because it was a hangout night thing but i couldn't take it anymore

good lord that show

I had to quit halfway into season 3

especially after I read an interview with the showrunners proudly admitting they have no greater story planned and will just keep writing stuff until they're cancelled

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I'm not sure how to react to that picture AH.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

like the walking dead

I bailed on that in s2 after an endless storyline with no progress

but now I kinda want to watch it again b/c atl

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    7ku1fxk78jgq.jpg

I have never seen that much cheese on meatballs but I approve so hard

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options

like the walking dead

Lost was me.

That show got dumb quick.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Just about to do the last mission in Horizon.

Holy shit you guys, they did a fucking great job with this. I stayed up until 3 am chasing the story until I got to some Big Answers and then I was really impressed.

That's not even counting all the times I killed laser t-rexes in single combat.

This discussion has been closed.