Options

Trump tax return docs from 2005 on Maddow (harrumph)

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    madddoooowww

what are you doing, you are going to give every trumple so much ammo with this shit

What ammo?
    Now he can brag about how "The Media" finally got his tax returns, illegally he will claim, and that everything was on the up and up and it's all just a witch hunt

Obviously that's not the full story but there's enough truth in there that it carries more weight than just outright lying

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    madddoooowww

what are you doing, you are going to give every trumple so much ammo with this shit

What ammo?
    It will fire them up about "PFFT LOOK AT THE PRESS MAKING A BIG DEAL OUT OF NOTHING, FAKE NEWS" - and obviously this stuff isn't fake, not that that's stopped them from declaring it. But the hype, partially the internet's fault but also Maddow's "BREAKING" tweet, is what will be in question.

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Yeah, she's putting out a call for more. Very indirectly stating places they might be (and therefore people who might have access to them without realizing it). Talking about all the different times, places, manners he might have submitted his returns as documentation for various purposes.

This is a dinner bell.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Man I am super disappointed in Maddow

She should know better than to hype this up and treat it like a shocking reveal, this does nothing but give ammo to Trump in his war on journalism
    I knew that period in the tweet was an ill omen.

I bet Steve Benen wrote it.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Dinner bell is the perfect analogy.

I would agree three times.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    And tonight we learned that MSNBC learned nothing from the 2016 election.

To quote Wash: Curse you and your sudden but inevitable betrayal.

Priest on
  • Options
    MsAnthropyMsAnthropy The Lady of Pain Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm, Breaks the Rhythm The City of FlowersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    One thing they haven't hit, but seems interesting on its face: Trump has claimed for years to be worth $10+ billion. If his income was only coming in at $150 million, then he is either incredibly incompetent and can only make 1.5% off of his assets... or his net worth is a lot less than what he has always claimed.

Edit: Or option 3--there's a bunch of off the books income he never reported.

MsAnthropy on
    Luscious Sounds Spotify Playlist

"The only real politics I knew was that if a guy liked Hitler, I’d beat the stuffing out of him and that would be it." -- Jack Kirby
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    It encourages further leaks, among other things.
    This is already the leakiest White House on record, hyping up a huge reveal people have been waiting on for almost 2 years now doesnt do much to encourage more of that in my opinion

It gives Trump more ammo to fire in regards to discrediting the news and now the next time there's a leak he can just compare it to this one in regards to not being a big deal

Like, releasing the documents is good obviously but "We have Trump Tax Returns" was the worst possible way to frame it

The IRS is not particularly leaky. There's also his accountants somewhere sitting on a bombshell/gold mine.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Dinner bell is the perfect analogy.

I would agree three times.

It's also why they were so explicit about how they obtained these ones: they're telling any hapless would-be-leaker out there exactly how to send it to them: Put 'em in that guy's mailbox.

• Options
    LoisLaneLoisLane Registered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »
    Yeah, she's putting out a call for more. Very indirectly stating places they might be (and therefore people who might have access to them without realizing it). Talking about all the different times, places, manners he might have submitted his returns as documentation for various purposes.

This is a dinner bell.

Like no. Anyone who has come in contact with Trump's taxes would remember them, especially now.Some liberal pundit talking about them wouldn't sudden refresh their long dormant memories. And if, if, that was her intention, then why overhype it so much with her first tweet?

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Priest wrote: »
    And tonight we learned that MSNBC learned nothing from the 2016 election.

I disagree!

There is a 20% chance that Trump leaked this himself so he could avoid ever having to release anything.

There is an 80% chance that there are people who are going to drip drip drip this shit out for a while.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    The people who would call Maddow fake news for this don't watch, care or know anything about Maddow. Except possibly through Breitbart.

Trump's already hit back over this and they can't play the "see, nothing wrong" argument because the small amount of paid in taxes is the whole story and admitting it's true just helps us, even if only the tiniest bit.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I think people are expecting a single silver bullet that will bring down this White House. That's not how these scandals work. It goes slooooooow.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    LoisLane wrote: »
    madddoooowww

What ammo?

Any misstep, no matter how small, is ammo. Hyping the shit out of this then showing it was a nothingburger casts shadow on the medias' credibility. There is a reason the boy who cried wolf is a multicultural spanning tale.

Except they'd call wolf regardless of what the actual content of the stories are anyway? It's not crying wolf if it works, and it clearly has?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    Eh, you never know. During the run-up to the election there was much bemoaning around here about Hillary's emails being a "nothingburger"...it may just be an attempt to harp on an issue so much that people believe something's there.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I think people are expecting a single silver bullet that will bring down this White House. That's not how these scandals work. It goes slooooooow.

well this is the opposite direction of bringing down the white house

• Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    Anyone wanting to see the actual returns

I'm pretty sure Team Trump leaked these themselves. This entire thing smells of Trump because it's not clever in the slightest. This is the whole, "Look! I didn't go to Vienna. Here's a tweet of my closed Passport!" all over again.

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    This just certifies the argument that they are clowns and have lost not only their dignity but integrity to jump at a chance for any relevance in this shitstorm of politics right now.

It's really disgusting and more reason why I continue to tune more and more of them out.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular

At least for Republicans.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options

well this is the opposite direction of bringing down the white house

No, it's not. It continues the narrative of Trump and the elite paying nothing in the taxes while the poor and middle class pay tons.

The fight over healthcare legislation is currently swimming these waters too.

• Options
    The people who would call Maddow fake news for this don't watch, care or know anything about Maddow. Except possibly through Breitbart.

Trump's already hit back over this and they can't play the "see, nothing wrong" argument because the small amount of paid in taxes is the whole story and admitting it's true just helps us, even if only the tiniest bit.

He admitted to not paying taxes for fifteen years and no one gave an utter shit. Him paying a token amount actually weakens us because his supporters can go "See1 He does contribute!"

Most of us know this already. If calling for the death of five innocent, black though they might be, then there will be no silver bullet. What we expected to see was a ballistic missile not another piddling bullet.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Oh look, Al Capones vault all over again.

Not having seen the show yet, but it sounds like someone opened up Capone's vault, saw the cobwebs, and was like, "Omigod I have the best idea for a show."

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Watergate took 2 years. Good journalism takes a looong time

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    A rich asshole made lots of money and paid little in taxes. Do you know who I'm talking about? That's right, all of them, tune in again tomorrow where I'll waste an hour that could be spent doing literally anything else.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options

Seriously people, it's been like less then 2 months still. Watergate took like 2 years. We're like moving at lightning speed as these things go.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    the real story is how hard the GOP is fighting to keep trumps returns secret

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    1) The collective news cycle is like milliseconds at this point. Boy who cried wolf isn't really applicable anymore. In fact it is more like every wolf an equal five minutes airtime.

2) Trump did not leak this document. There is no all seeing eye of Trump that has a secret and cogent plan to be the best ever. The Trump administration is 100% a bunch of deeply inexperienced Washington neophytes.

3) Maddow overhyped this but also let's not forget that the average viewer doesn't perceive media the same way that media junkies do and hype can get you places.

4) Any and all leaked info regarding Donald J Trump further establishes a) an explicit timeline of acts, b) more explicit information for journalists and analysts to work into their investigations, and c) it continues a now two month long negative coverage window for DJT.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    ElJeffe wrote: »

Not having seen the show yet, but it sounds like someone opened up Capone's vault, saw the cobwebs, and was like, "Omigod I have the best idea for a show."

It was some overhyped trash about what might be the vault, only to open it and find emptiness. Not even any cool cobwebs.
    Spoit wrote: »
    madddoooowww

What ammo?

Any misstep, no matter how small, is ammo. Hyping the shit out of this then showing it was a nothingburger casts shadow on the medias' credibility. There is a reason the boy who cried wolf is a multicultural spanning tale.

Except they'd call wolf regardless of what the actual content of the stories are anyway? It's not crying wolf if it works, and it clearly has?

Your misunderstanding what I'm saying. Crying wolf is when you make a big fuss about nothing. This is nothing. Oh, he paid a small amount on his taxes. Oh, he's not as rich as he says he is. All things almost everyone knew pre-presidency. She cried.
    Elki wrote: »
    A rich asshole made lots of money and paid little in taxes. Do you know who I'm talking about? That's right, all of them, tune in again tomorrow where I'll waste an hour that could be spent doing literally anything else.

^^He said it better.

LoisLane on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Eh, you never know. During the run-up to the election there was much bemoaning around here about Hillary's emails being a "nothingburger"...it may just be an attempt to harp on an issue so much that people believe something's there.
    Well when the director of the FBI is winking at the people accusing Trump of treason then maybe there will be a problem.

• Options
    zllehszllehs Hiding in a box, waiting to strike.Registered User regular

This is a dinner bell.

Like no. Anyone who has come in contact with Trump's taxes would remember them, especially now.Some liberal pundit talking about them wouldn't sudden refresh their long dormant memories. And if, if, that was her intention, then why overhype it so much with her first tweet?

I would love to live in a world where she can tweet that "We have trumps tax returns" -Actually have pages of his tax returns And it wouldn't be considered Overhyping but this is the America we live in.

But I agree that she should have chosen her words more carfully.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I don't think anyone is claiming to have an issue with the returns being featured themselves. That's perfectly fine and a solid part of the ongoing scandal that is the Trump WH

What is drawing umbrage is the fact that Maddow announced them with BREAKING: TRUMP TAX RETURNS TONIGHT! which is downright irresponsible. It is sacrificing a step in the ongoing fight against journalism for some headlines and ratings and was a horrible decision.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

And also the 2nd in command of the FBI feeding them info

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Do not fall prey to the world where everything happens in 140 characters and attention spans break after 5 minutes.

If we have any hope of breaking Trump it happens through a death of 1000 cuts; just keep whittling away at his credibility until eventally he no longer has the support of his party.

Not every blow will land but that doesn't mean we stop punching or wait until there is a silver bullet. Fuck, all that hype meant that a bunch of new people now saw very real, very credible reporting on his ties to oligarchs and his potential connection to a state sponsored terrorist group from Iran.

That in and of itself is a win.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    zllehs wrote: »

This is a dinner bell.

I would love to live in a world where she can tweet that "We have trumps tax returns" -Actually have pages of his tax returns And it wouldn't be considered Overhyping but this is the America we live in.

But I agree that she should have chosen her words more carfully.

Like if she had actual pages of it instead of just two then maybe I would be less pissed about this but nope.

• Options
    I don't think anyone is claiming to have an issue with the returns being featured themselves. That's perfectly fine and a solid part of the ongoing scandal that is the Trump WH

What is drawing umbrage is the fact that Maddow announced them with BREAKING: TRUMP TAX RETURNS TONIGHT! which is downright irresponsible. It is sacrificing a step in the ongoing fight against journalism for some headlines and ratings and was a horrible decision.

Except people keep comparing them to Capone's Vault and calling it nothing.

It wasn't nothing. It just wasn't the huge scandal people were expecting from the tweet.

Real Lesson: Twitter is terrible.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular

Washington Post has a grim dark tag line. Normal journalism is dead.

• Options
    ElJeffe wrote: »

It was some overhyped trash about what might be the vault, only to open it and find emptiness. Not even any cool cobwebs.
    Spoit wrote: »
    madddoooowww

What ammo?

Your misunderstanding what I'm saying. Crying wolf is when you make a big fuss about nothing. This is nothing. Oh, he paid a small amount on his taxes. Oh, he's not as rich as he says he is. All things almost everyone knew pre-presidency. She cried.
    Elki wrote: »

^^He said it better.

And I think you're missing what I'm saying. The credibility of the media doesn't matter, since they'll marginalize it regardless of the authenticity of the story itself. You could, to pick a totally random example, purjure yourself in front of the senate, volunteering the statement, and it'll be out of the cycle the next day

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    But I want it now!

Everybody wondering why she'd go on the air with so little isn't really wondering why she went on the air with so little.

First comes the set, then comes the spike. The response is clearly going to be 'As you can see, there is nothing there.' And the response to that is 'Then why all the secrecy?' as you keep hitting him with the death by a thousand cuts.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I'm really struggling with the idea that a single tweet is "over hyping" this story.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I'm really struggling with the idea that a single tweet is "over hyping" this story.

What about the 30 minutes on air she spent hyping it up

This discussion has been closed.