As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

U mad?

• Options
    CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Cromarty wrote: »
    I hate four way stops.

Whose Turn Is It, Anyway?

(This post may be the result of today's drive to work.)

Better than a roundabout

Dammit now the song is in my head.
    Four cars all stop at a four way and pause..

Two of them start moving again at the same time.
    TO BE CONTINUED-->

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I once drove through ... Toulouse, I think - using a freeware map of europe because we didn't have roaming turned on. For most of the trip it had worked really well, because the phone still has GPS info. However without a 4G hookup the lag is on the order of about a minute.
    We missed every single turn and it took us about twenty minutes to go around the block.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Gotta go fast.

Also yeah it is confusing. Traffic circles aren't more complicated than a four way stop at all.

But in almost thirty years I've never personally seen an accident at a four way stop. But since they started building circles here in a few places I've seen at least those two accidents.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    It is insane to me that after a century of widespread automobiles, we still have a one-bit method of communication with our fellow drivers. And you can't use your horn to say "go on ahead" because its first definition in the dictionary is "I'm going to follow you home and beat you with a tire iron." The only possible method of friendly communication on the road is with truckers, because they know what a flashing set of headlights means.

I think all cars should be required by law to have a "yes" horn and a "no" horn. The current horn can be the "no" horn, because it already makes you sound like an asshole. You'd still use that when someone does something wrong and you want to let them know about it. The "yes" horn would sound more like Herbie or the Roadrunner, and it would mean "you have the right of way" or "hey, fellow citizen, the light in front of us just turned green but I ain't mad about it."

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    All dashes have a display now, make the license plate the number to text that, " FUCKING GO" would be the most common text.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    It is insane to me that after a century of widespread automobiles, we still have a one-bit method of communication with our fellow drivers. And you can't use your horn to say "go on ahead" because its first definition in the dictionary is "I'm going to follow you home and beat you with a tire iron." The only possible method of friendly communication on the road is with truckers, because they know what a flashing set of headlights means.

I think all cars should be required by law to have a "yes" horn and a "no" horn. The current horn can be the "no" horn, because it already makes you sound like an asshole. You'd still use that when someone does something wrong and you want to let them know about it. The "yes" horn would sound more like Herbie or the Roadrunner, and it would mean "you have the right of way" or "hey, fellow citizen, the light in front of us just turned green but I ain't mad about it."

I've always thought a soundboard horn full of swears would be amazing. Especially when you punch the buttons too fast.

"FU-FU-FUCK YOU, ASSWAGON, A-ASSWAGON"

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    *GREAT JOB*

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    *GREAT JOB*

"WELL PLAYED."

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Actually just let me add Dark Souls soundbites to my horn.

"VERY GOOD."

"HELLOOOOO."

"I'M SORRY."

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Roundabouts would be fine, but here in bless your heart atlanta, we make them, and then we put pedestrian crossings around them. Because what you want for a free flow of traffic is pedestrians to worry about at odd angles.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    This seems like a problem with Ohio rather than roundabouts.
    Kadith wrote: »
    Americans may claim to not be able to understand roundabouts

but they also clearly don't understand stop signs so might as well go with the better one.

the number of times I've nearly been run over in Boston by some fucknut drifting idly through a red light or stop sign has got to be in the triple digits by now.

Nowhere else in the world have I had this problem.

edit: is it because people drive so much here? Your car turns into your cosy little second home and the world around you recedes as you wrangle your shitty coffee into an oversized cupholder and meander over to the drive-through ATM ...

@Tynic Were you riding through Chinatown this afternoon? Because I nearly hit someone on a bike while I whizzed through a red light, and I thought she looked like you, but I figured it couldn't be you since you're usually in Cambridge. Either way I was already crossing over 90 by the time it occurred to me that maybe I should have stopped.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options

but they also clearly don't understand stop signs so might as well go with the better one.

the number of times I've nearly been run over in Boston by some fucknut drifting idly through a red light or stop sign has got to be in the triple digits by now.

edit: is it because people drive so much here? Your car turns into your cosy little second home and the world around you recedes as you wrangle your shitty coffee into an oversized cupholder and meander over to the drive-through ATM ...

@Tynic Were you riding through Chinatown this afternoon? Because I nearly hit someone on a bike while I whizzed through a red light, and I thought she looked like you, but I figured it couldn't be you since you're usually in Cambridge. Either way I was already crossing over 90 by the time it occurred to me that maybe I should have stopped.

i ... can't tell if you're joking about running a red light
    but no, I don't cycle in snow/ice. Stopping distances in the dry are barely sufficient in this city to keep me alive.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Boston, please do not kill Tynic.

She is my primary source of cute Berner pup pics.

• Options
    edited March 2017

speaking of

St Patricks Pup is a surefire cure for anger
    thc3u86fzhlb.jpg

edit: while this is true, st patricks pup probably could be smaller.

tynic on
  • Options
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Boston, please do not kill Tynic.

She is my primary source of cute Berner pup pics.

Boston_1977.jpg

No promises.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular

i ... can't tell if you're joking about running a red light
    but no, I don't cycle in snow/ice. Stopping distances in the dry are barely sufficient in this city to keep me alive.

Don't worry, I would stop for you... Errr ... So long as I recognize you ahead of time.

Uh... Well, look on the bright side, I almost never go to Cambridge except by The T.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    A few weeks back i was behind a pickup truck going into a roundabout.

Pickup truck just goes in a straight line right over the middle island. No fucks given. I was amazed

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »

Pickup truck just goes in a straight line right over the middle island. No fucks given. I was amazed

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »

Don't know how the Duke boys are going to get out of this pickle.

• Options
    FavlaudFavlaud just straight up awful Registered User regular
    I am not mad, necessarily, but I am upset with the general state of things

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Dangit, just got my notice to end tenancy at my rental condo. Not looking forward to hunting for something reasonable in Vancouver BC's <1% vacancy market. Who's up for housing a dude and his cool dog?

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Favlaud wrote: »
    I am not mad, necessarily, but I am upset with the general state of things

Hey, old timer, everything okay?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Actually just let me add Dark Souls soundbites to my horn.

"VERY GOOD."

"HELLOOOOO."

"I'M SORRY."

Being able to apologize when I fuck up would be great, I feel like that would defuse a lot of road tension having.

An "oh shit I'm really sorry I just fucked up" horn or light that I can flick on or something

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Cromarty wrote: »
    I hate four way stops.

Whose Turn Is It, Anyway?

(This post may be the result of today's drive to work.)

Better than a roundabout

not in any universe is this correct.

Well no one in Ohio knows how they work except me. Some People treat them like little race tracks and others never yield And some people just stay on them for several loops not knowing where their turn is.

There is one in town where I've seen at least two incidents where one car lost its entire front end due to not yielding and the other guy going way too fast.

This is clearly not the fault of the roundabout, though.

Edit: oh hey, there was another whole page to go!

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    34°C (93°F) here today. My outdoor shower was lovely and refreshing.

gimme
    wait I'll be (comparatively) nearby next month

... I don't care, gimme.

You heading back to Namibia? When?

• Options

gimme

... I don't care, gimme.

We haven't quite booked flights yet but hopefully will turn up mid-April.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

We had a roundabout on base. As long as it wasn't 6-7pm the entire thing was pretty smooth. Much smoother than the stop signs on base. There was only one stoplight on a base of some several thousand people to compare it to, and both the stop signs and roundabout were better.

Though my brother managed to sum up the usual attitude towards stop signs back when he was in High School, "No cop, don't stop".

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Where do you guys live where people don't obey stop signs?

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    Customer asked me who I voted for
    I said Hillary
    Customer pulls a face
    I have been a brown ball of rage for the better part of six months now, and I was about to snap
    Customer asks why I didn't vote for Trump
    Images of me beating his esophagus with a stapler saturate my mind
    My mouth speaks- with whose voice? I don't know- "Because I don't want to learn Russian."

So to whichever psychic being just saved my job- thanks bro.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

Where I live about 1/3 of the roadgoing folks are above the age of 70. I really, really don't have the intention of being age-ist, but it really seems like as people get older, they pay a lot less attention on the road. Every near accident I've been in involves a massive Cadillac or BMW driven by an old person. Blown stop signs, turning right onto the main thoroughfare from the Kroger parking lot crossing 3 lanes of traffic, driving 25 in a 40 in the left lane with the blinker on. The list goes on.

And then sometimes I drive with my dad somewhere and I see how he's 68 and drives better than me and I'm like maybe it's not so bad.

• Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    Tam wrote: »
    I said Hillary
    Customer pulls a face
    I have been a brown ball of rage for the better part of six months now, and I was about to snap
    My mouth speaks- with whose voice? I don't know- "Because I don't want to learn Russian."

I'm always cautious about saying who I voted for

One of my managers was talking politics to my supervisor one day and, I didn't hear exactly what they were talking about, but I just heard him exclaim "You didn't vote for Hillary did you?!" like it was the worst thing imaginable

The manager in question is a 70+ year old white guy from the south who joined the military during the Vietnam War because he wanted to kill people, so I mean, it's not much of a surprise

vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    If someone asks who I voted for, I say Joke Option Larlar.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    Kaplar wrote: »
    Just found out that my health insurance got canceled and I have a procedure coming up. This is going to be a fun set of phone calls to make.

Turns out the insurance company fucked up on their end. Hooray for everything getting sorted and not having to come out of pocket $1300 for a procedure this week!

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    HeadCreeps wrote: »
    I said Hillary
    Customer pulls a face

One of my managers was talking politics to my supervisor one day and, I didn't hear exactly what they were talking about, but I just heard him exclaim "You didn't vote for Hillary did you?!" like it was the worst thing imaginable

The manager in question is a 70+ year old white guy from the south who joined the military during the Vietnam War because he wanted to kill people, so I mean, it's not much of a surprise

ever since 30 Rock, I usually say that I wrote in the Lord's name
    but I'm just getting tired of not confronting this shit
    which isn't to say this was a situation where the confrontation was wise or useful, I'm just generally frustrated

I really want to get out of near-rural Virginia

• Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    I said Hillary
    Customer pulls a face

which isn't to say this was a situation where the confrontation was wise or useful, I'm just generally frustrated

Next time:

I'm color blind with orange and couldn't see him on TV, so I always thought it was a ghost talking and I'm scared of ghosts.

• Options
    Falx wrote: »
    I said Hillary
    Customer pulls a face

Next time:

I'm color blind with orange and couldn't see him on TV, so I always thought it was a ghost talking and I'm scared of ghosts.

No matter who is asking, I always say that I wrote in Queen Elizabeth II. Because I'm a monarchist, and just because armed terrorism is two centuries old doesn't make it right.

You might be surprised at how many conversations this avoids.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

gimme

... I don't care, gimme.

Awesome. How long you there for?

• Options

gimme

... I don't care, gimme.

Awesome. How long you there for?

I'm going to try not to stay more than 3 weeks - hopefully a bit less. Not because I don't enjoy Namibia, but because I end up wanting to impale my colleagues on some rusty farm equipment after about 10 days.

I will try to take a few days to do some kayaking on the coast at the end - no idea if I can manage that logistically, though. But I can absolutely extend an invite to come up, if you want to do different more boring research, for free.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Not mad, but I do have a headache. Couldn't take a nap due to 3 year old who seems to have given up on naps herself.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

I've seen a lot of "Rolling stops" all over where people just slow down a little and keep rolling without coming to a full stop, then accelerate if it doesn't look like they're going to be pulled over or hit by an oncoming car immediately.

This discussion has been closed.