Options

[Overwatch 9.0] Patch/Season 4 live! Introducing new hero: Orisa!

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    The main issue is ya'll are not seeing the same levels of "trash" I am. I can assure you from the way you talk about it.

I have been in numerous games where playing a support is basically supporting soldiers who do not land shots, at all. Supporting tanks who never make their way onto the point. Supporting defense who are trying (and failing) to flank. Supporting all of the above who dive into the enemy team alone trying to make something happen, which the whole team needs to do, and then dying and they are the only one you really needed to "support" for most of the game. The main thing being, sustainability is awesome and is often what the teams I lose on LACK, but also you can't always fix it if they don't allow themselves to BE sustained.

The assumption the other team is trash is also a point that keeps being made. You keep missing the fact that, at these low of rankings, the TYPE of trash they are varies so greatly sometimes they are the right kind of trash to win and your team is not. There might be teams that just aren't good at FPS but at least perform the fundamentals. That will win over teams that might shit all over them, but just flat out refuse to do it in the right situations needed to win that map.

I extend the offer for anyone to queue with me for a fair number of games, if you would like to show me what you mean :D

I guess I don't really understand the point you're trying to make. Are you persistently hovering at a low rank with no hope of ever going higher? Is that because your win/loss ratio at this ranking is 50% or lower? If so then you should entertain the possibility that you're at the correct rank. Either that or you haven't played that many comp games, in which case you're just expecting too much from a small sample size. All the unfair things you've pointed out are valid, but they aren't slanted against you, it's the same for everyone. So you're going to lose some bad games, and you're going to win some bad games - it's the ones that are actually fair that dictate what your final rank is, and there's where you should focus your introspection so you can raise your rank as quickly as possible. And be careful not to assume that you're in a hopeless game too soon and stop trying, because it might actually be a fair game in disguise.

In any case I really don't think you should play competitive if you're going to become so frustrated with hopeless games. I don't like it either, that's why I play QM these days. It's just less stressful.

• Options
    WhiteSharkWhiteShark Registered User regular
    If you are better than your rank, than the law of averages is on your side. It's as simple as that, and is true for any game with an Elo system, team-based or not. If you really want to climb, ignore your rank and focus on self improvement. The only time your teammate's actions should come into your consideration is when you're trying to figure out how best to respond to them in-game. If you play every game constantly thinking "my teammates are all trash" then you dilute your focus and ignore any responsibility you had for the outcome of the game, and your own contribution is the only part you can really control.

If you actually want to improve your own play, I very much recommend Skyline's youtube channel. This guy puts out by far the most useful Overwatch content that I've seen, and his advice has helped me improve my own play significantly.

Also, as Zek said, if your teammates in ranked really upset you that much, I would strongly consider taking a break. Give yourself some time to reset your mentality and come back fresh. A negative attitude in-game will just make you have less fun and play worse.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    madparrot wrote: »
    Had a payload with a Rein, Bast and Orisa sitting on the cart, and they were basically indestructible.

Yeah... Rein and Orissa are a strong combo

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    I've faced those 3 on Kings row defense. We managed to stop them at the last corner with Rein, Orisa .... and bastion. a real meatgrinder where shields uptime was 2-3 seconds max.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Hah just had an enemy Orisa drag half the team over the edge. Then the Zarya ult dragged everyone right back on. While transcendence was up no less.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    WhiteShark wrote: »
    If you are better than your rank, than the law of averages is on your side. It's as simple as that, and is true for any game with an Elo system, team-based or not. If you really want to climb, ignore your rank and focus on self improvement. The only time your teammate's actions should come into your consideration is when you're trying to figure out how best to respond to them in-game. If you play every game constantly thinking "my teammates are all trash" then you dilute your focus and ignore any responsibility you had for the outcome of the game, and your own contribution is the only part you can really control.

If you actually want to improve your own play, I very much recommend Skyline's youtube channel. This guy puts out by far the most useful Overwatch content that I've seen, and his advice has helped me improve my own play significantly.

Also, as Zek said, if your teammates in ranked really upset you that much, I would strongly consider taking a break. Give yourself some time to reset your mentality and come back fresh. A negative attitude in-game will just make you have less fun and play worse.

I've done a lot to improve my own play and I've gotten a lot better.

This games seasons are p much whatever games it drags you into during placement, unless you have a solid group of people to play with. If you get stuck with trash in half of your placement games, then most of your season will be spent digging yourself out of it.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Kind of wish it was easy to save and upload matches so advice could be given.

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    ronzo wrote: »
    *snip*

Like I said, I may have just been getting the short end of the matchmaking stick lately, but I can show a screen shot of the everyone on the other team being around 130-160, and my team being 25-70, with myself being the exception.

You can sometimes deal with bad team comps by backfilling what it is you're missing, but when your comp is reaper/hanzo/genji/mcree/junkrat, I now have to choose whether I am the only tank, or the only healer. Also, people that die constantly like new people tend to just end up feeding ults. It's hard to do anything useful if the enemy hanzo manages to get 4 ults off in 3:30 minutes because people just keep trickling into bridge at the start of dorado

Lately I've been hoping I get the people who instalock bastion like everyone on the overwatch subreddit bitches about, because at least we'll have a sudo-tank and I can try to go healer

In that situation I suggest going healer and asking a few times for someone to go tank. Easier than the other way around. Lucio is your best bet since he can survive fairly well without a tank.

Bad luck happens for sure, sometimes a game is doomed from the start because of a matchmaking snafu or a leaver. But player level doesn't mean anything, it isn't factored into matchmaking at all for good reason. If you're consistently playing at a higher level, the system is designed to average out those discrepancies over time, it just can take a fair number of games if you're really unlucky.

I'm not saying that player level equates to any kind of skill, but playtime.

Like, someone said during a placement match that they had never seen Lijang Tower before. They had 15 total games up to that point.

I also had 5 leavers in 5 games during placement matches, all from accounts with less than 10 hours playtime. Did anyone here who placed in plat/diamond or higher even have 1 leaver game during placements?

There's playing with bad, but at least knowledgeable players, and there's playing with a team of all freshmen who though "hey, throwing that ball looks neat" while walking through the quad.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    The main issue is ya'll are not seeing the same levels of "trash" I am. I can assure you from the way you talk about it.

I have been in numerous games where playing a support is basically supporting soldiers who do not land shots, at all. Supporting tanks who never make their way onto the point. Supporting defense who are trying (and failing) to flank. Supporting all of the above who dive into the enemy team alone trying to make something happen, which the whole team needs to do, and then dying and they are the only one you really needed to "support" for most of the game. The main thing being, sustainability is awesome and is often what the teams I lose on LACK, but also you can't always fix it if they don't allow themselves to BE sustained.

The assumption the other team is trash is also a point that keeps being made. You keep missing the fact that, at these low of rankings, the TYPE of trash they are varies so greatly sometimes they are the right kind of trash to win and your team is not. There might be teams that just aren't good at FPS but at least perform the fundamentals. That will win over teams that might shit all over them, but just flat out refuse to do it in the right situations needed to win that map.

I extend the offer for anyone to queue with me for a fair number of games, if you would like to show me what you mean :D

I guess I don't really understand the point you're trying to make. Are you persistently hovering at a low rank with no hope of ever going higher? Is that because your win/loss ratio at this ranking is 50% or lower? If so then you should entertain the possibility that you're at the correct rank. Either that or you haven't played that many comp games, in which case you're just expecting too much from a small sample size. All the unfair things you've pointed out are valid, but they aren't slanted against you, it's the same for everyone. So you're going to lose some bad games, and you're going to win some bad games - it's the ones that are actually fair that dictate what your final rank is, and there's where you should focus your introspection so you can raise your rank as quickly as possible. And be careful not to assume that you're in a hopeless game too soon and stop trying, because it might actually be a fair game in disguise.

In any case I really don't think you should play competitive if you're going to become so frustrated with hopeless games. I don't like it either, that's why I play QM these days. It's just less stressful.

I guess I forgot how stubborn people around here are on their opinions of matchmaking here.

Look, you mistake wanting to have a discussion for frustration? I deal with my games pretty much in stride. In fact, like what Drag said if no one wants to actually Queue with me sometime and vouch for my "frustration" I may start recording some games. But the fact of the matter is, blindly trusting the system because it just should work that way is really short sighted. Especially when you are actually getting those fair games that dictate your rank. I have had maybe 2 of those out of 30 and the rest are stomps either way. I have seen those fair games, before placement decided I needed to be dumped 1000 rating lower even though I handled it fine before for a whole season.

And my rating does matter, because I would like to get a gold weapon at this point and since I missed season 2 I am quite far from that right now.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    *snip*

Like I said, I may have just been getting the short end of the matchmaking stick lately, but I can show a screen shot of the everyone on the other team being around 130-160, and my team being 25-70, with myself being the exception.

You can sometimes deal with bad team comps by backfilling what it is you're missing, but when your comp is reaper/hanzo/genji/mcree/junkrat, I now have to choose whether I am the only tank, or the only healer. Also, people that die constantly like new people tend to just end up feeding ults. It's hard to do anything useful if the enemy hanzo manages to get 4 ults off in 3:30 minutes because people just keep trickling into bridge at the start of dorado

Lately I've been hoping I get the people who instalock bastion like everyone on the overwatch subreddit bitches about, because at least we'll have a sudo-tank and I can try to go healer

In that situation I suggest going healer and asking a few times for someone to go tank. Easier than the other way around. Lucio is your best bet since he can survive fairly well without a tank.

Bad luck happens for sure, sometimes a game is doomed from the start because of a matchmaking snafu or a leaver. But player level doesn't mean anything, it isn't factored into matchmaking at all for good reason. If you're consistently playing at a higher level, the system is designed to average out those discrepancies over time, it just can take a fair number of games if you're really unlucky.

I'm not saying that player level equates to any kind of skill, but playtime.

Like, someone said during a placement match that they had never seen Lijang Tower before. They had 15 total games up to that point.

I also had 5 leavers in 5 games during placement matches, all from accounts with less than 10 hours playtime. Did anyone here who placed in plat/diamond or higher even have 1 leaver game during placements?

There's playing with bad, but at least knowledgeable players, and there's playing with a team of all freshmen who though "hey, throwing that ball looks neat" while walking through the quad.

I had 2 games, 2 placement games, 2 separate games with 4 different players, who went Hanzo and Widow.

So our team comp included 2 snipers. In 2 separate goddamned placement matches.

Despite pleading for them to change after being down 0-2 both times, neither changed and, in fact, told us they were carrying the team.

I feel your frustration.

• Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    You have to consider how many games it would take to actually shift ranking

If you're averaging a 50% win rate with average SR gains (+25 for a win) and slightly below average SR losses (-20 on loss), it would take you 200 games to hit the next rank

Those calculations change a bit if you have a higher winrate or are gaining more SR when you win than average, but if you're sitting in Gold with a Platinum player's skill, the system is not designed to catapult you into your proper rank like it is for, say, a Masters player in Bronze

If you watch one of those "Bronze to Grandmaster" series, the early ranks go by in just a few games, because the person playing is so significantly better than the average player of that rank that they are able to effectively carry and guarantee wins. It's when that skill difference narrows that their progression slows down, and that slower progression should be what you should expect from the system.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    After 3 clutch Bastion games, I've come to the conclusion that I'm really good with that bastard.

Also, it appears I'm the only one on the entire spreadsheet that actively enjoys playing as B.

Surprising people and never going into turret mode an entire match is wonderful. They keep holding back and waiting to counter something that never happens.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    To share a bit more perspective:

I play a lot with my brother, who is usually low plat. When we group, I end up frustrated fairly frequently because I'm usually the worst or 2nd player on the team, and I know it. Sometimes we get bad comps but at least it's people playing the character well (like a flanker tracer/reaper), they just don't work with the team. The frustration I get is due to me not always being able to cut it at that skill level, magnified by playing a lot of support or tank. At this level of play, I would probably benefit from rewatching games and looking at what I did wrong or could have done better.

At the rank I'm at right now (1900), it's a different kind of frustration. This frustration is basically trying to carry the team and just repeatedly having your back broken by people who instalock hanzo/reaper/genji/tracer, can't get kills, don't use comms, and barely know maps.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular

This games seasons are p much whatever games it drags you into during placement, unless you have a solid group of people to play with. If you get stuck with trash in half of your placement games, then most of your season will be spent digging yourself out of it.

I placed in mid to high silver and have had no problem steadily climbing to gold.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    HamHamJ wrote: »

I placed in mid to high silver and have had no problem steadily climbing to gold.

And that's fine, if you're willing to dole out a couple hundred games during the season.

I guess if you're not planning on doing 2-300+ games then you might as well not even bother?

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »

And that's fine, if you're willing to dole out a couple hundred games during the season.

I guess if you're not planning on doing 2-300+ games then you might as well not even bother?

I have played 86 games so far.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    RaphRaph Registered User regular

Thanks for that suggestion. I have been watching Stylosa's Unit Lost videos which I like and was going to start looking for some others.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    I'm going to do a quick post to try and explain why "MMR Hell" appears to exist.

The blurb is that the lower MMR you get, the more varied the skillsets become, and the harder it is for the matchmaking to pair people together because of their different strengths. By comparison, at high levels, because everyone is roughly similarly capable, it has a much easier time. I have wasted 20 minutes in paint making an awful visual aid:

dWSG271h.png

To put it simply, there are different types of things to be good at. 6 is not an exhaustive number of skills, I just picked it because hexagons are cool and I could easily come up with 6 obvious skills.

Aim is self-explanatory.
    Character knowledge indicates your knowledge of all characters and how well they match up. e.g. can a Symmetra beat a Winston, who is a good response to an enemy Pharah, which character is a good pick on this map, etc.
    Movement & positioning both include micro-movement (knowing how to mini-strafe to make it harder for enemies to predict your movement) and knowing how to use mobility skills to your advantage.
    Map knowledge is knowing which routes are optimal entries (especially with the comp you're running), which chokes are grindiest, which spots are good for certain characters like junkrot, widow, and so on.
    Team awareness is things like not trickling, knowing where your healer is, recognising where your team is (or isn't) trying to push through, and generally understanding what your comp is trying to do (or not, at lower levels).
    Role knowledge is tied into comp awareness, e.g. what is your character doing for the team. This is a constant hiccup for lower MMR players and is why you see 4-dps comps with Genji, Hanzo, Sombra and Symmetra, +tank&healer. Everyone wants to be the flashy +1 role, not the workhorse.

And you can see from the examples I've given that there are some low MMR players who have good aim, maybe even aim close to as good as a high MMR player. But that is not supported by other skills, and so they'll do things like run in solo and trade, or won't protect healers, etc. Or you've got people who can't really aim, but have good general knowledge (they read/watch a lot of higher MMR play, for example). Ultimately, however, while each player might have something they're good at, they're lacking in other areas. And the matchmaker can't determine this about a player, so what you'll often get is several of these players together who all can't really do well in one particular skill. When they get put in a group like that, where 2 or 3 members are lacking a key skill, their chance of winning is low. But equally the matchmaker might just, by chance, find other players who can cover up the lack of e.g. aim, and the team's chance of winning rises.

You can think of an individual player's MMR as the total light blue area covered, and matchmaking variance as the total light blue area covered when all 6 players are put together. With the much more 'specialised' layouts in low MMR, there's more of a chance that the entire team will be lacking in one or two skills. But by comparison, if you imagine 6 high MMR players, it's much more likely all bases will be covered, because all players above say, 3.5k, are decent at almost everything.

There are obviously other things I didn't include for the sake of simplicity (favoured characters and roles, harmoniousness, use of voice comms and appropriate knowledge, effects of character imbalances, and so on), but the general model of understanding has served me pretty well for the last 7 or so years of try-hard gaming.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Why the fuck are premades allowed in placement games? Was doing wonderful until I kept getting premade idiots refusing to switch and being garbage. Not to mentions randoms vs 4 stack twice. Started off so well though maybe I should just 1 vs 6 while I tank heal dps at the same time.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I've come around to find that a premade of 3, 4, or 5 people is probably a bigger chance of losing than anything else. They reinforce each others' bad decisions or stubborness. But also, more than anything, when there's a pre-made of 4 or 5 people, they are in the party voice comm and not with the rest of us / me. Some 5-sized pre-made groups get mad at ME when we lose asking why I wasn't going along with the team's 'plan'. Well I never heard it in the first place, goose.

• Options
    TheDrifterTheDrifter Registered User regular
    Why the fuck are premades allowed in placement games? Was doing wonderful until I kept getting premade idiots refusing to switch and being garbage. Not to mentions randoms vs 4 stack twice. Started off so well though maybe I should just 1 vs 6 while I tank heal dps at the same time.

Because some of us like running placements with friends to lessen the chance of leavers and throwers?

Or, just because we like playing games with friends, because we like our friends and it's good times to game with them. Really that's all the reason needed.

• Options
    TheDrifter wrote: »

Because some of us like running placements with friends to lessen the chance of leavers and throwers?

Or, just because we like playing games with friends, because we like our friends and it's good times to game with them. Really that's all the reason needed.

If that's all the reason that was needed then you would be happy with premades in QP only, right?

• Options
    Premades in lower MMR are almost always guaranteed win factories.

Part of the reason MMR hell exists.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    I've come around to find that a premade of 3, 4, or 5 people is probably a bigger chance of losing than anything else. They reinforce each others' bad decisions or stubborness. But also, more than anything, when there's a pre-made of 4 or 5 people, they are in the party voice comm and not with the rest of us / me. Some 5-sized pre-made groups get mad at ME when we lose asking why I wasn't going along with the team's 'plan'. Well I never heard it in the first place, goose.

Yeah. Pre-mades only really work if everyone is on the same page.

Otherwise they go south fast.

• Options
    It's just extremely frustrating in general .

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »

Yeah. Pre-mades only really work if everyone is on the same page.

Otherwise they go south fast.

Depends on MMR.

On the lower MMR levels, especially people who get screwed by the placement matches, teams are more likely to voice chat to each other. Communication is huge, and in all of my losses but 1 it's been absolutely radio silent, or the perpetrators (like the sniper duos I got in placements as mentioned above) used it only to berate people or shit talk their own team.

At those levels, getting a team with voice chat is difficult. Getting them to communicate whats actually happening is damn near miraculous. None of that helps when you're trying to get yourself out of the hole.

One of the reasons I stopped playing Overwatch for a while is I couldn't communicate with my team and felt like a liability. Now I have a headset and I *know* I was a liability.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Hell, last night I had a game where this one guy was flipping out on everyone for not contributing.

What did he do?

Died constantly as McCree for 3 rounds until he managed to get off a POTG-style 4 person kill with his ult and used that as evidence that he was superior.

I really wish I had y'alls matches.

• Options
    Also I will say being a person who isn't completely terrible I do understand some folks unwillingness to communicate over voice comms while also wanting to play comp.

While there are a lot of folks who are cool and helpful, a lot of toxic asshole who can ruin your day too.

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    All this conversation mostly is making me quite happy about my decision to never touch competitive with a ten foot pole.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    Comp isn't that bad but you do need a bit of a masochistic streak to put up with it at times.

• Options
    Also I will say being a person who isn't completely terrible I do understand some folks unwillingness to communicate over voice comms while also wanting to play comp.

While there are a lot of folks who are cool and helpful, a lot of toxic asshole who can ruin your day too.

Yeah, but if your team is currently cool and helpful but you're just being a Hanzo Main...

• Options

If that's all the reason that was needed then you would be happy with premades in QP only, right?

No, because quick play isn't the same game as competitive, and its pretty silly to assert they are.

• Options
    Comp isn't that bad but you do need a bit of a masochistic streak to put up with it at times.

Yeah I just came back and having my good start go sour so fast is what has me on tilt right now.

• Options

I like this post.

I do think, one important wrinkle, is Blizzard does have some idea of your aim and uses it to judge your skill. I think that does color somewhat how the game plays at a few levels. People with good aim but poor other skills are disproportionately likely to end up ranking higher. Then they spend entire games out of position and accomplishing very little.

On the other end, down lower, greater than average number of people can't aim at all. I suspect thats why its so frustrating as support lower down. You can heal and damage boost for ages, but your poor aiming teammates can never take advantage of it.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    I think the best attitude to take towards competitive is that you're just there to find more serious games, and to discover in the long run where you fall in the ranks. Don't attribute more importance to winning/losing a given game than you would in QP (other than trying your best to win). If you enter it with the mindset of "I want to increase my rank right away" then every loss is a setback from your goal and you're going to get frustrated when you have a bad luck steak and your night was wasted. Just play the game and have fun. Rank is a nice high level goal but don't make everything about that. Or if you must, focus your energies on how best to improve your play, not just on winning games.

• Options
    I think the best attitude to take towards competitive is that you're just there to find more serious games, and to discover in the long run where you fall in the ranks. Don't attribute more importance to winning/losing a given game than you would in QP (other than trying your best to win). If you enter it with the mindset of "I want to increase my rank right away" then every loss is a setback from your goal and you're going to get frustrated when you have a bad luck steak and your night was wasted. Just play the game and have fun. Rank is a nice high level goal but don't make everything about that. Or if you must, focus your energies on how best to improve your play, not just on winning games.

Will try thanks.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Nah. It's for earning points towards golden nuts to throw at enemies.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    All this conversation mostly is making me quite happy about my decision to never touch competitive with a ten foot pole.
    If I knew what I know now, I wouldn't have gotten involved with competitive mode. But I was driven to try it because at the time I thought I was a REALLY good player with my win rate and such.

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Bethryn wrote: »
    I'm going to do a quick post to try and explain why "MMR Hell" appears to exist.

The blurb is that the lower MMR you get, the more varied the skillsets become, and the harder it is for the matchmaking to pair people together because of their different strengths. By comparison, at high levels, because everyone is roughly similarly capable, it has a much easier time. I have wasted 20 minutes in paint making an awful visual aid:

dWSG271h.png

To put it simply, there are different types of things to be good at. 6 is not an exhaustive number of skills, I just picked it because hexagons are cool and I could easily come up with 6 obvious skills.

Aim is self-explanatory.
    Character knowledge indicates your knowledge of all characters and how well they match up. e.g. can a Symmetra beat a Winston, who is a good response to an enemy Pharah, which character is a good pick on this map, etc.
    Movement & positioning both include micro-movement (knowing how to mini-strafe to make it harder for enemies to predict your movement) and knowing how to use mobility skills to your advantage.
    Map knowledge is knowing which routes are optimal entries (especially with the comp you're running), which chokes are grindiest, which spots are good for certain characters like junkrot, widow, and so on.
    Team awareness is things like not trickling, knowing where your healer is, recognising where your team is (or isn't) trying to push through, and generally understanding what your comp is trying to do (or not, at lower levels).
    Role knowledge is tied into comp awareness, e.g. what is your character doing for the team. This is a constant hiccup for lower MMR players and is why you see 4-dps comps with Genji, Hanzo, Sombra and Symmetra, +tank&healer. Everyone wants to be the flashy +1 role, not the workhorse.

And you can see from the examples I've given that there are some low MMR players who have good aim, maybe even aim close to as good as a high MMR player. But that is not supported by other skills, and so they'll do things like run in solo and trade, or won't protect healers, etc. Or you've got people who can't really aim, but have good general knowledge (they read/watch a lot of higher MMR play, for example). Ultimately, however, while each player might have something they're good at, they're lacking in other areas. And the matchmaker can't determine this about a player, so what you'll often get is several of these players together who all can't really do well in one particular skill. When they get put in a group like that, where 2 or 3 members are lacking a key skill, their chance of winning is low. But equally the matchmaker might just, by chance, find other players who can cover up the lack of e.g. aim, and the team's chance of winning rises.

You can think of an individual player's MMR as the total light blue area covered, and matchmaking variance as the total light blue area covered when all 6 players are put together. With the much more 'specialised' layouts in low MMR, there's more of a chance that the entire team will be lacking in one or two skills. But by comparison, if you imagine 6 high MMR players, it's much more likely all bases will be covered, because all players above say, 3.5k, are decent at almost everything.

There are obviously other things I didn't include for the sake of simplicity (favoured characters and roles, harmoniousness, use of voice comms and appropriate knowledge, effects of character imbalances, and so on), but the general model of understanding has served me pretty well for the last 7 or so years of try-hard gaming.

Looks like in order to get out of low MMR you have to be really damn good or just not get placed there in the first place. Under this theory, wouldn't that mean that bronze is a chaotic slum with a thin strip of silver and most people gold and up?

Nobeard on
  • Options
    WhiteSharkWhiteShark Registered User regular

See, I don't think this is really true. There's a lot going on behind the scenes in the ranking system, especially during placements. The matchmaker knows what matches you 'should' and 'shouldn't win based on the teams in placements, and so losing games with 'trash teammates' really isn't as detrimental to your placement as you probably think it is. Anecdotally, I only won 2 of my placement games this season. I didn't play comp last season. Sounds like I'm totally screwed, right?

I got placed at 3.3k, which was I think a very good estimation of my real rank at that time.

All the people I know who were well and truly placed below their rank and who play consistently have also climbed consistently. Again, I recommend ignoring your rank and just doing your best to improve your own play.

This discussion has been closed.