As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Hotels are now Live! All prices listed are PER NIGHT

• Options
    RavengerRavenger Trolololo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Statistics are almost always misleading. it usually has to do with a population change per square mile, or something along those lines. Crime has never actually "dropped" otherwise we wouldnt see so many people in jail xd

Ravenger on
    <@heels&gt; Ravenger: i do not talk to anyone
    <+Ravenger> you are talking to me
    <@heels&gt; oh god, what am i doing
  • Options
    RelativioxRelativiox Halo Nerd Forerunner shield world OnyxRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Ravenger wrote: »
    Its one of the most dangerous cities in the U.S. my friend ;) but yes, i already established that i made a mistake regarding what part of seattle the WSCTC was in, my bad =\

I have to agree with most of the other people in that downtown Seattle really isn't that dangerous even at night. The first week I was up here I didn't know anything and I just wandered downtown till I knew where stuff was, no danger. Also the Thursday before PAX, me and a few friends were wandering around downtown at around 1-2am till we ended up at the Red Robin on the waterfront.

Relativiox on
    iris_forumsig.gif
  • Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Even with the low crime rate I still carry my 9P Surefire at high output(flashlight) and my karambit. Its enough to keep the punks looking for trouble away.

Shade on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited December 2007
    randomguy and I walked from the Crowne Plaza to the QFC about a half mile away some time after midnight). We didn't see anybody until we got to the corner the QFC was on, and everybody we saw was very non-threatening and just out doing their own thing. Another time when we went down there, we drove because after walking back with 10 2-Liter bottles, we decided driving was better, and had to go down some stairs in an alley to get from where we were parked to the QFC, the only negative thing about that alley was it smelled kind of like pee. Mind you, I'm from Cleveland, and randomguy's from New Jersey, near Manhattan, so both of us are always in battle-ready mode. It was a waste being battle ready in downtown Seattle.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Battle Ready? I didn't even think about preparing to be battle ready when I was at PAX.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    When you live where we do, there's never a moment you're not battle ready.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    yoshamanoyoshamano The fuck is this. The fuck was that. Marshall, Soviet MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I guess I'm battle ready, but my foe are White-Tailed Deer. Live in Michigan long enough, and your odds of hitting one with your vehicle are 1.

This man was battle ready. Are you?

yoshamano on
    pa_forums_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    You know, I heard a story from a friend of a guy who lives in Michigan who did that exact same thing with his right side-view mirror. Not deliberately, of course, but it did end with deer brains splattered all over his car.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    _______moe wrote: »
    When you live where we do, there's never a moment you're not battle ready.

And anytime that I'm in downtown D-Town, I'm in battle ready. Walking around Ann Arbor, I'm not. Seattle... It was more Ann Arbor then Detroit with me.

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    Pat McRotchPat McRotch Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Anyone stay at the Sheraton? That is what my group has picked out thus far. I think it will be a little step up from where we stayed last time. The Motel 6 in Sea Tac only has dial-up internet...

Pat McRotch on
    xPat+McR0tch.png
    patmcrotch.png
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Anyone stay at the Sheraton? That is what my group has picked out thus far. I think it will be a little step up from where we stayed last time. The Motel 6 in Sea Tac only has dial-up internet...

Sheraton is a nice place :) All the pax hotels last year were really nice

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    Sequential_ComboSequential_Combo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Last year I stayed in the Sheraton, and found some stains that looked like blood on the sheets. I was also talking to one of the women running the Eye of Judgment kiosks -- we had checked out at the same time, so we recognized each other -- and she had a really bad time there. I guess they double-booked her room, so this guy was trying to get in the middle of the night. There was also something else, like they charged her for calls she didn't make or lost her luggage on the first day. Apparently it took her forever to check out as well. :|
    But otherwise it was great! I'd stay there again.

Sequential_Combo on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I'm ok with blood stains. They can change the sheets. That is nothing compared to the over all smell of the Motel 6.

They actually handle your luggage?! I guess I am sheltered. The "fanciest" hotel I have stayed in was the Riviera in Vegas and that was in the "economy tower".

So, the Sheraton was a PAX package hotel? I guess I will wait until the packages are posted to book then!

Pat McRotch on
    xPat+McR0tch.png
    patmcrotch.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, people are encouraged to wait until the packages are posted before booking their hotels. One of the reason for this is because the more hotel rooms booked under the PAX hotel block, the more space they can justify booking later on (and the quicker they can get more/expanded blocks when those fill up. With any luck, they'll get the entire Sheraton this year and not just bits and pieces from several hotels.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'd like to mention the cluster fuck that was Red lion last year. between TRIPLE charging us and not being able to correct their mistake for 4 and a half hours to check out it was absurd.

Shade on
  • Options
    KaitouAyashiKaitouAyashi Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't get why PAX is so jazzed about the Sheraton after the complaints many PAX goers had about their treatment from hotel staff and valet access issues. It's not really the closest hotel - The Paramount and Roosevelt Hotels are equidistant to the Convention Center. Plus they are better positioned for other restaurants and amenities in the area if you're primarily walking around.

Right now we're thinking about a suite at the Paramount if some of our guild members fly in cross country or possibly the Hyatt - but definitely not the Sheraton.

KaitouAyashi on
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: i will nom all of your boxes
    [15:02] Tajah: I like you BR but I'm not letting you nom my box
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: Did I mention I hate you all? cause i do
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    How many complaints have there been about the Sheraton? And how many people stayed there? There are always complaints. I've heard more good things about it than bad from people who stayed there, and the rooms are decently sized. What was the issue with valet?

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I think the issue was that they didn't want to give people access to their cars to get stuff out. The Crowne Plaza didn't give us much hassle when it came to getting stuff out of the car, but I much preferred when I could just park my own car and run down to it to get stuff when I needed to, without having to wait for somebody to give me my own keys. Especially in my case, with all the driving, the car is usually a mess and stinks to high heaven, without regular access, we weren't able to properly deodorize it. Instead of stinking for a day, it stank all weekend, and we had to deodorize it on the way out. That point aside, life would be easier if they just let us park our own cars and access them when we wanted, without whining about it.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited January 2008
    since their remodel a few years ago the sheraton has been great. Liger is correct ive seen/heard more good things than complaints.

Plus the majority of the enofrcers who got a room stayed in the Sheraton (closest), which made it evenmore awesome :P

BigRed on
  • Options
    KaitouAyashiKaitouAyashi Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I think the issue was that they didn't want to give people access to their cars to get stuff out. The Crowne Plaza didn't give us much hassle when it came to getting stuff out of the car, but I much preferred when I could just park my own car and run down to it to get stuff when I needed to, without having to wait for somebody to give me my own keys. Especially in my case, with all the driving, the car is usually a mess and stinks to high heaven, without regular access, we weren't able to properly deodorize it. Instead of stinking for a day, it stank all weekend, and we had to deodorize it on the way out. That point aside, life would be easier if they just let us park our own cars and access them when we wanted, without whining about it.

Wait. My bad. In the Hotel Reviews thread there were more complaints about the Crowne Plaza in general and some complaints about the Sheraton staff. They must have gotten mixed up in my mind.

KaitouAyashi on
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: i will nom all of your boxes
    [15:02] Tajah: I like you BR but I'm not letting you nom my box
    [15:02] BigRed-Worky: Did I mention I hate you all? cause i do
    PAX Twitter Shitter~*~ Retired Bar Liaison: 2nd, 3rd, & 4th Annual Triwizard Drinking Tournament~*~
  • Options
    Sl1pstreamSl1pstream [E] BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Sheraton, because of their swimming pool/jacuzzi/sauna. Timezones are awesome, my biological clock woke me up at 7am every day. Which meant that I had all 3 of those for me alone.

Sl1pstream on
  • Options
    RavengerRavenger Trolololo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    but how much does that matter, since most people will be either at pax, downtown, or partying?(maybe sleeping)

Ravenger on
    <@heels&gt; Ravenger: i do not talk to anyone
    <+Ravenger> you are talking to me
    <@heels&gt; oh god, what am i doing
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    It matters to some people and not to others. Choose your hotel according to the amenities you want, weighed against the price.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Shade wrote: »
    I'd like to mention the cluster fuck that was Red lion last year. between TRIPLE charging us and not being able to correct their mistake for 4 and a half hours to check out it was absurd.

I still feel bad for you, I was gone within minutes of checking out of the dive I stayed at. Then slept the floor at some other friends' place and had no problems leaving there either. Took longer to drag all the stuff to the car than it did to checkout atleast.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    OctobotOctobot Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, people are encouraged to wait until the packages are posted before booking their hotels. One of the reason for this is because the more hotel rooms booked under the PAX hotel block, the more space they can justify booking later on (and the quicker they can get more/expanded blocks when those fill up. With any luck, they'll get the entire Sheraton this year and not just bits and pieces from several hotels.

Hi this will be my first PAX this year, and i was wondering when these packages usually go up? Just looking to getting everything booked as soon as possible.

Octobot on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    PAX Pre-reg just went up, so I'd estimate the hotels to be up in between 2 and 5 weeks

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    OctobotOctobot Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    perfect! thanks for the quick reply!

Octobot on
  • Options
    collinccollinc Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Haha downtown Seattle was pretty harmless. The last night of PAX I didn't have a room. I walked around towards the convention center yelling "I need a room, I have money, someone help me out etc...." I was eventually picked up by the guys who write for Ars Technica. We drank and watched youtube videos with Canadians. They bought me dinner. And no one raped me.

collinc on
    Free cake. Inquire within.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    collinc wrote: »
    ...They bought me dinner. And no one raped me.

Ah well. Can't say you didn't try.

Pat McRotch on
    xPat+McR0tch.png
    patmcrotch.png
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So what hotel do people recommend? And all are hotels relatively close to the convention center?

Furthermore, when are we going to get the thread started for roommates?

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Archgarth wrote: »
    So what hotel do people recommend? And all are hotels relatively close to the convention center?

Roosevelt < Sheraton < Hyatt!!!!!

Get a room at the Hyatt if possible. Rooms are nice :D

Also at nighttime, the Hyatt is closer to the convention center than the Sheraton.
    Around midnight they close that side door at the Sheraton. From wsctc door to hotel door, the Hyatt is closer than the corner main entrance of the Sheraton.

BigRed on
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    BigRed wrote: »
    Archgarth wrote: »

Roosevelt < Sheraton < Hyatt!!!!!

Get a room at the Hyatt if possible. Rooms are nice :D

Also at nighttime, the Hyatt is closer to the convention center than the Sheraton.
    Around midnight they close that side door at the Sheraton. From wsctc door to hotel door, the Hyatt is closer than the corner main entrance of the Sheraton.

You make it seem like people will get ambushed by rabid velociraptors if they are on foot at night in downtown Seattle. I have been there, late at night, alone, walking for several blocks, and I can tell you that I felt no anxiety at all. I grew up in Cedar Rapids, Iowa and I would much rather be in Seattle than in CR at night.

BigRed could be alluding to adverse weather I guess, but I have yet to see that happen in Seattle as well...o_O

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It's not about Seattle being dangerous, Mentok. It's about how far you want to walk after being at PAX all day.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Liger wrote: »
    It's not about Seattle being dangerous, Mentok. It's about how far you want to walk after being at PAX all day.

I know. I just wanted to mention rabid velociraptors.

btw...
    Mastadons
    infected
    with
    mange

(NINJA EDIT) Mastadons Infected With Mange would make a great band name! MIWM would be the band logo and tusks could be used to make the M's and W's.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I was referring more to people who are dead tired after pax and every last foot helps on your way to passing out for 3 hours to get up and do it all over again :P

BigRed on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So the PAX website had room rates... is it just me, or are they higher than their posted rates? I think I had done a search for hotels a couple nights ago and found the Sheraton for ~150ish... maybe it was another one though. I'll do the search again when I get back from work.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, uh, the downtown hotels are hells more expensive than the PAX rates. I think close to double.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Yeah, uh, the downtown hotels are hells more expensive than the PAX rates. I think close to double.

Ouch, I just got home and did the search again to see... I must've been thinking of some other hotel, they're almost exactly double the PAX rate. There's some that are cheaper, but they seem to be of far more questionable quality as well.

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, the PAX rate is about the best you're gonna get in the area.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Liger wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, it's, like, an extra hundred feet. If you have that much trouble getting that far, you probably need the exercise.

Thanatos on
This discussion has been closed.