Options

Megami Tensei/Persona discussion: | P3: FES - 4/22 | Nocturne reprinted?

• Options
    StriferStrifer Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Can I finish up the first two quests in NG+ and get to fight the optional boss? I won't spill a river over it, at least there will be another reason to play Journey, but it would be nice to salvage this run.

EDIT: As in, does the quest completion status carry over?

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Options
    Lightor216Lightor216 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Persona 4 has been announced for the PS2!
    1205824195208tb2.th.jpg1205824979306oc2.th.jpg
    1205825082217no5.th.jpg1205826181431xi7.th.jpg
    - Trailer on DVD (magazine)
    - July 10th release
    - 85% Complete
    - Looks like Persona 3 but better
    - 180+ Personas
    - Hashino is directing, Soejima is art director and character designer, Meguro is composing

- Takes place in the countryside, a more nostalgic environment
    - The theme is murder mystery/suspense, it's a mystery thriller with twists and turns
    - Multiple endings
    - 1.5x the size of P3
    - 60-70 hours
    - There is a weather forecast system, and whenever there is a fog, a murder occurs

Credit goes to Waren_alkar for informing me.

Lightor216 on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Could you post the thumbnails with links to the full-size pictures, please?
    - 1.5x the size of P3
    - 60-70 hours

These seem to be contradictory.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Lightor216Lightor216 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Could you post the thumbnails with links to the full-size pictures, please?
    - 1.5x the size of P3
    - 60-70 hours

These seem to be contradictory.

The town and area is 1.5 bigger?

Lightor216 on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Okay, that would make sense, then.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    For the PS2? Wow. I'm surprised that new games (that aren't shovelware) are still being released for this thing.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yes.

Yes.

Furu on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    PS2?
    Oh, hell yes.
    This will do very, very nicely.

Disgaea 3 and Steambot Chronicles 2, take note.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Holy crap that sounds good.

Pb on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Looks like the main character's Persona is Izanagi. Weird that the series goes from a minor Greek mythological figure to one of the chief Japanese deities.

Furu on
  • Options
    DrCongoDrCongo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    Lightor216 wrote: »
    - Trailer on DVD (magazine)
    I'm guessing we're talking Famitsu Wave... right?

DrCongo on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Xagarath wrote: »
    PS2?
    Oh, hell yes.
    This will do very, very nicely.

Disgaea 3 and Steambot Chronicles 2, take note.
    Limed for extreme truth.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Dicks.

Coming.

All at once.

Possibly forever.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    My pants just burst.

And I'm not even wearing them at the moment.

Darklyre on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Furu wrote: »
    Looks like the main character's Persona is Izanagi. Weird that the series goes from a minor Greek mythological figure to one of the chief Japanese deities.
    Only two of the four have been minor Greek figures. (this is where I turn pedantic!)

One of them was Vulcanus, which is Roman, not Greek.

And one of them was Starion which...is a Mitsubishi.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited March 2008
    I meant 3 specifically, mainly that the core three in 3 had Greek Personas and this time they're all Japanese (Izanagi, Jiraiya, Tomoe).

Furu on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Wonder if there'll be any in-game references to Persona 3?

Regardless, it looks so awesome.

Shame the UK won't be getting it for about two years. :(

Burnage on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Blackjack wrote: »
    And one of them was Starion which...is a Mitsubishi.

I demand a Pinto persona which explodes and kills the player when they retreat. </obtuse>

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Burnage wrote: »

Well, it's two years after the events of Persona 3, so all of the (main) characters would have graduated, so it's possible they'll be in there even though the setting is in the country instead of the city.

OLD MACJUNPEI HAD A FARM!?

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I wasn't going to buy this, I might not even play it (Persona 3 FES that is).

But how can I not support a series who's characters blow their brains out as a part of the gameplay.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Can you use a save game from Persona 3 in this new release or will I have to do everything all over again to get to my current spot?

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Lord Jezo wrote: »
    Can you use a save game from Persona 3 in this new release or will I have to do everything all over again to get to my current spot?

You can save your stats, and your persona compendium, but your persona reset to base levels and you have to start from the beginning of the single-player. But they added a bunch of stuff anyway.

I'm... I'm going to wait until there's a max s link guide...

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    XiaNaphryzXiaNaphryz Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Gyral wrote: »
    For the PS2? Wow. I'm surprised that new games (that aren't shovelware) are still being released for this thing.

Well, outside of the Wii no other system is really selling in Japan. They also save a lot of money and time by keeping it on the PS2, as there's already established code to work with.

XiaNaphryz on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    But we still have to wait to hear if/when Atlus USA is bringing it over.

I mean, there's no reason for them NOT to bring it over, but you never know.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Is there a "wrong way" to play 3 or can I just putz along and do my thing and not have to worry about completely screwing things up?

Or.

If I don't create the social links in the right way and don't do the skits right, and don't properly time my exploration will I completely gimp my characters and pretty much cause me to reset the game and start again with a FAQ by my side?

I don't care about maxing everything out or getting 100% completion, I just want to play and have fun.

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    As long as you have fun having relationships with people, you should have plenty of social links forged by the time the games over. Just remember not to get girls angry at you.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    How much grinding should I be doing in the game?

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Godamnit, I'm still unsure whether I should chip my fatboy PS2, so that I can play FES or if I should wait and hope for KOEI or Ghostlight to bring it over to us in the E.U.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    StriferStrifer Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Do I see snazzy menus in those scans?

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Options
    XiaNaphryzXiaNaphryz Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Each lunar cycle, there's only a certain number of floors you can climb until you eventually hit a barrier. If you can reach the barrier before each full moon, you'll be fine, so either do one or two major tower runs and then not worry about the tower for the rest of the month or take a few small runs each weel.

You'll need to beat the bosses for each tower section to reach the barrier - if you can beat the bosses, you're fine level-wise/persona-wise.

XiaNaphryz on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    doodeedoo, waitin' for the trailer.

dum dee dum.

Furu on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    XiaNaphryz wrote: »

Each lunar cycle, there's only a certain number of floors you can climb until you eventually hit a barrier. If you can reach the barrier before each full moon, you'll be fine, so either do one or two major tower runs and then not worry about the tower for the rest of the month or take a few small runs each weel.

You'll need to beat the bosses for each tower section to reach the barrier - if you can beat the bosses, you're fine level-wise/persona-wise.

Whenever I am in the tower everyone just gets tired and I need to go home. Does this eventually get longer?

With each cycle, what would happen if I got to the end of the class year and didn't complete all the things I needed to do in the tower? Will the game end in failure?

Should I be fighting everyone I see or trying to avoid the bad guys and just trying to find the stairs?

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It's a combination of both. Everyone will eventually get some stamina but you might want just to run and get to the next "boss floor" as they have teleporters back to the lobby and they aren't randomized (and you can return if needed).

I would start running/avoiding things for awhile and keep a healthy mix of persona so you can get your "1 Mores" and all out attacks on the flashing purple shadows. (Purples are a little more difficult but have a much higher XP then other shadows). Also, watch the cards and learn how they shuffle. Weapons you can usually do without (stuff in chests is usually better) and Cups usually only restore YOUR health and not the team's. And if you already have the persona that's being offered, then you're left with an XP bonus or cash bonus. Go for XP unless you're really hurting for cash (which you really shouldn't if you're making use of sales and selling excess gear).

And I honestly dont think you can get to the end of the school year without climbing the tower. Now if you're talking about the side missions for Liz, then you can skip those if you wish. That's just extra persona and cash/items. (It's highly recommended you do the missions though)

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Kickass news about Persona 4...probably a day one purhase for me.

The only things I'm hoping are this time around they...

a. make the day longer(or at least let people who want to do more have more time).
    b. somewhat of a spoiler
    Have the romance subplots actually have an effect on the game somehow

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    HURRY UP WITH THE TRAILER JAPAN >:(

Furu on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    XiaNaphryz wrote: »

Whenever I am in the tower everyone just gets tired and I need to go home. Does this eventually get longer?

With each cycle, what would happen if I got to the end of the class year and didn't complete all the things I needed to do in the tower? Will the game end in failure?

Should I be fighting everyone I see or trying to avoid the bad guys and just trying to find the stairs?

Your stamina starts out really low in the first playable month. By the later months, your stamina increases, which is helpful since the number of floors between bosses/checkpoints doubles as well. Your best bet is to try and rush to the checkpoint the first time, and then linger and explore floors later when trying to grind.

There's no "Lose" scenario, explicitely. Every full moon, at least for the first 2/3 of the game, there is an obligatory boss fight. You have to be at least leveled enough to win that one. The good news is the game never lets you save on full moon days, and on the day before, you don't get tired at all in the tower. So if you ever find yourself so underleveled that a full moon boss kicks your ass, just restart the save from the day before and hang out in the tower for another hour or two.

This gets a little more complicated in the second half of the game, as there are a couple of obligatory fights not on full moon days, but most of them are pretty easy, so once you have a pattern set up, you'll probably be fine. Also, the boss at the end of most sections of the tower are actually harder than the corresponding full moon boss, so if you can reach the top of each section of the tower, you'll probably be fine on the full moon. I tended to grind afterwards anyway, but that's just me.

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Burnage wrote: »

As long as we get it sooner or later, I won't complain.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Quick, someone decent at Moon Speak, is the little girl here Maiko?

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Quick, someone decent at Moon Speak, is the little girl here Maiko?

The one in the bottom right? I'm not able to read Kanji but the Hiragana says her name is Doujima Nanako. Or Toujima, it's too blurry to see if the 2 dots over "to" are there. I think they are though.

Gilder on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    /pops champagne.

It's a good time to be a gamer reliant on the 'ol PS2.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
This discussion has been closed.