Options

Comcast to Verizon FIOS: Suck it.

RageRage Registered User regular
http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/01/08/ces.comcast.ap/index.html
Roberts is expected to demonstrate a technology that delivers up to 160 megabits of data per second: It will allow him to download a high-definition copy of "Batman Begins" in four minutes. The technology, DOCSIS 3.0, will start rolling out this year. "If it's as successful as we hope, in 2009 and beyond we will have it available in millions of homes," he said.
DOCSIS specs

Rage on

• Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Rage wrote: »
    http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/01/08/ces.comcast.ap/index.html
    Roberts is expected to demonstrate a technology that delivers up to 160 megabits of data per second: It will allow him to download a high-definition copy of "Batman Begins" in four minutes. The technology, DOCSIS 3.0, will start rolling out this year. "If it's as successful as we hope, in 2009 and beyond we will have it available in millions of homes," he said.
    DOCSIS specs

Then, of course comcast will roll out packet shaping 2.0 for fucking with any normal person attempting to utilize these speeds. It's a vicious cycle.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Of course there's upload speeds and bandwidth sharing, and the fact that it doesn't exist yet. But I'm glad to finally see some more steps forward in broadband speed; it's about time.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'll be excited when they start maxing out DOCSIS 1.0 for most users.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Will you still get at best half any advertised speeds, random outages, and 98% useless customer support? It's hard to get excited about anything Comcast does.

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Company A: Man, Company B ain't so special. We can do what they're doing, and way better, to boot! Just wait!

Company B: Hm, well. Regular humans can already buy our solution, so...

Result: Company B wins.

Wake me up when Comcast is rolling this out.

gilrain on
  • Options
    bashbash Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm with Eggy, Comcast needs to actually provide the bandwidth they're advertising and selling today. What DOCSIS 3.0 is allowing over DOCSIS 2.0 is the use of channel bonding to provide more overall bandwidth to customers on a single cable segment. There's no guarantee that all of that bandwidth is going to go to data customers. Comcast could also use it to provide bandwidth for IPTV and VoD services that run over the IP network but aren't customer data services.

Saying that their service compares well to FiOS is kind of silly considering that current BPON rates support 622Mbps per segment to split between customer data services and VoD/IPTV services. FiOS also has around 870MHz of QAM bandwidth for their regular television content as well. With GPON upgrades FiOS will have 2.4Gbps of data bandwidth per segment. This ridiculous amount of bandwidth is why the government gave telcos 200 billion dollars to roll out fiber networks all over the US.

bash on
    comi-sig1.jpg
  • Options
    QuazarQuazar Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Keep an eye on AT&T U-Verse as well. It's supposed to be pretty huge.

Then again, I work for AT&T so I may just be getting the hype train.

Quazar on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    atl7hahahazo7.png
    XBL: QuazarX
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Quazar wrote: »
    Keep an eye on AT&T U-Verse as well. It's supposed to be pretty huge.

Then again, I work for AT&T so I may just be getting the hype train.

U-Verse doesn't hold a candle to either FiOS or DOCSIS 3.0 cable service. As of right now a majority of their U-verse installations are FTTN and then a VDSL (~25Mbps) to the premises. With 6Mbps reserved for a customer's data line that leaves just 19Mbps to carry video. AT&T uses MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 encoding for their video content which can fit SD content into 2-3Mbps streams and HD content into 6-8Mbps streams. For 1080i HD content you really should have about 10Mbps, 6-8Mbps will only cut it for 720p content. Quite a few people on the interwebs complain about U-verse's HD picture quality compared to QAM or over the air ATSC. Even their FTTP service (if it ever gets widely deployed) is based on a similar IP multicast model where the fiber to the house simply replaces the copper VDSL line from the DSLAM.

Contrast this model to FiOS an 870MHz RF signal is modulated onto the 1550nm wavelength. At the premises the signal is converted back to RF and pumped into the coax cabling. Because it is simply a remodulated RF signal it can carry analog and digital (QAM) channels like an all-coax system would. FiOS still has a 633Mbit downstream data line to split among the 32 subscribers (20Mbit/subscriber) on the segment. With GPON upgrades that will be a 2.4Gbit line (75Mbit/subscriber). With GPON upgrades FiOS will have enough downstream data bandwidth to offer 30Mbit customer connections and still have room for IPTV (VoD, PPV, etc.) for every subscriber.

At this point Verizon wins hands down with respect to bandwidth. They also have a compatibility advantage, the in-wall coax in many peoples' homes will continue to serve up the same QAM signal they get from the cable company. DVRs and HDTVs with QAM tuners, not to mention capture cards for PCs will work like they always have. AT&T is offering a smaller data pipe into the home and requiring that you adopt all of their rented equipment since it's an incompatible IPTV rollout. I think overall FiOS wins this round.

bash on
    comi-sig1.jpg
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I call BS on this anyway. DOCSIS 2.0 already provides provisions for speeds FAR in excess of what you normally get on your cable modem currently. Your cable company caps the DOCSIS 2.0 settings on their side of your cable modem and previous people have documented removing this cap from a DOCSIS 2.0 modem and providing a vast increase in their speed. Although, it's illegal to do so (or at least against the company's TOS). All cable companies do this, not just comcast with their p2p throttling.

So who cares if DOCSIS 3.0 provides for a greater speed when I'm not using the full available speed of DOCSIS 2.0. I get no benefit.

http://www.cablemodem.com/primer/
    Provides a good, very brief, overview of features, but 3.0, while providing a good theoretical increase in my upper limit, still provides for capping my speed by the provider. So will we really see a benefit, specifically in the upload side? Questionable. Marketing hype is my opinion.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    What using DOCSIS 3.0 hardware will allow is either adequate provision for current customers or more opportunity for overselling. With DOCSIS 2.0 a single downstream channel has a maximum throughput of only 38Mbps and the upstream channel only 27Mbps (in the US, European DOCSIS has wider channels and a little more bandwidth). That is per channel per HFC plant. Cable companies reserve as few channels as possible for data services so a single channel on a cable segment might be serving a whole neighborhood. That's 38Mbps divided between maybe a hundred houses if not more. Distributed equally that's only about 384Kbps per household. Instead the cable companies sell customers up to 8Mbps connections. They're banking on the fact every single customer on the segment is not using 100% of their bandwidth at any given time though any of you on cable modems know what performance is like during peak times on a heavily oversold cable segment.

With DOCSIS 3.0 up to four data channels can be bonded creating a virtual channel 24MHz wide. This offers customers on that segment a pool of 160Mbps to use. Not only can current customer bandwidth offerings be met but the cable companies can sell higher bandwidth packages and give a reasonable expectation of performance. That being said higher speed lines will likely be oversold as they are today but at least it will take longer and customers will have more bandwidth on any given segment. If cable companies combine DOCSIS 3.0 migration with actual HFC plant build-out they might actually be able to provide every household with the advertised amount of bandwidth.

While tons of bandwidth is an awesome possibility I think everyone ought to be very concerned about how telcos are allowing their bandwidth to be used. Available bandwidth is increasing in the US but it is being increasingly locked down as well. FiOS AUP doesn't allow you to run a server at home. You can get 20Mbps upstream and they forbid you from running your blog or a game server. Obviously they're not shutting down everyone doing such a thing but in order to be allowed to operate servers you have to pay for "business" class service which costs three times as much as home service. This breaks the peering nature of the internet. Unlike broadcast media the internet wasn't designed to ferry information in only one direction. It's been designed from the outset to be a two-way street. </rant>

bash on
    comi-sig1.jpg
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't care what either company rolls out until it rolls out to my house. Right now I have 2 options:
    Comcast for high prices and decent bandwidth
    Dial-up

You can guess which one I have. Until Verizon actually PROVIDES FIOS to my door (or more reasonably, the side of my house), they're service capabilities and speed are useless to me. They couldn't be bothered to bring DSL to me, and I don't think they'll care about bringing FIOS to me either. So Comcast is my go-to company right now for any internet speed faster than a snail.

What I'm afraid of is that they will either offer this speed increase at increased prices with a tier system, or they just plain up the prices like they have been the past few years anyway and just use the increased bandwidth to offer more people the same speed they offer now.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    FrabbaFrabba Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I have Fios. It's amazing. Fuck comcast, I actually get the advertised bandwidth with Fios.

Frabba on
    I'm big in Internet Spaceships.
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Comcast needs to actually fucking do two things.

1) Keep to their advertisements
    2) Don't send me threatening fucking letters because I play games all day.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I should drop comcast and get me some Fios since comcast is letting me down more and more. I do think my latency in most cases is unacceptable.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Ugh, I've heard nothing but bad things about Comcast. I use AT&T, and my service has been excellent, but I'll be switching to FiOS as soon as I can (faster, cheaper, less spying potential). I just wish Verizon would hurry up and roll out the fiber where I live.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    *update*

I am getting fios installed. I will be saving at least 50$ a month. A 200$ circuit city gift card is also really nice to sweeten the deal for a triple play install. I'll let you know how it goes. Also, they move quickly! 5 business days (7 days away) is pretty nice.
    Seems they decided to help P2P but be a dick about open access on the 700mhz band.

700mhz lawsuit
    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070913-verizon-unhappy-with-700mhz-open-access-requirements-sues-fcc.html

Peer to peer awesome.
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03/24/verizon_p4p_filesharing/

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    SnakeSnake Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    We used U-Verse for about a year while in our apartment. Now that we've moved into a house, the service is not "currently available". U-Verse is really the only "new" service of its kind that I have heard of - is there a better place to read up on this stuff?

As far as the quality we experienced went - a layman's term review would be that while the download speeds were very nice, the response time of the TV menus and commands was very noticeable. I assume this has to do with the allocated bandwidth. Now that we have DishTV with AT&T, I definitely miss being able to record three shows at once while watching a 4th (wife likes to record random shows sometimes...). Can't exactly do that with the current Dish setup.

/$0.02

Snake on
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Comcast needs to actually fucking do two things.

1) Keep to their advertisements
    2) Don't send me threatening fucking letters because I play games all day.

The fuck!? You're getting letters from Comcast because you're playing online a lot?

That hardly uses up any bandwidth, How the hell is that an issue?

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    so a friend of mind has Bellsouth DSL which was bought out by AT&T who apparently block P2P traffic. Which is inconsequential except that they now see World in Conflict as P2P traffic so every time he tries to play his internet gets shut off for a few minutes. sigh.

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Basticle wrote: »
    so a friend of mind has Bellsouth DSL which was bought out by AT&T who apparently block P2P traffic. Which is inconsequential except that they now see World in Conflict as P2P traffic so every time he tries to play his internet gets shut off for a few minutes. sigh.

Sandvine starts wreaking havoc in my halo 3 games because it sees it at p2p traffic too. Thats one of the driving reasons I'm doing it. I'm not getting anything close to advertised speeds and I have to admit, getting a 200$ giftcard and 15mpbs down and 15mbps up should be very sexy.

The idea that I can get HD content sped up by verizon themselves at 15mbps is very attractive. Or I could stick with comcast and their anti-p2p services.

Such a tough choice.
    [/sarcasm]

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Basticle wrote: »

Really? I have the exact same service at home and I can use bitTorrent just fine.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Comcast is easily one of the worst companies in America right now

serach for them on consumerist

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    These speeds are more to help alleviate the crunch comcast is feeling in trying to provide for all the HD claims they have made.

They are squeezing more and more channels in a limited space (3 hd channels which barely holds 2) so they are affecting quality for quantity.

That, and lessening the bandwidth crunch for the entire node is the real reason.. the consumer will never see these speeds to their house, but if comcast can provide the bandwidth for 1500 people+ without splitting and building out another node, then they made money.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Snake wrote: »
    We used U-Verse for about a year while in our apartment. Now that we've moved into a house, the service is not "currently available". U-Verse is really the only "new" service of its kind that I have heard of - is there a better place to read up on this stuff?

As far as the quality we experienced went - a layman's term review would be that while the download speeds were very nice, the response time of the TV menus and commands was very noticeable. I assume this has to do with the allocated bandwidth. Now that we have DishTV with AT&T, I definitely miss being able to record three shows at once while watching a 4th (wife likes to record random shows sometimes...). Can't exactly do that with the current Dish setup.

/$0.02

Your laggy box is because the box has the CPU of a gameboy.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Comcast is full of empty promises. They took away several HDTV channels from my package, in order to drive up sales for premium packages, then raised the price of the DVR package unilaterally without asking customers.

When FIOS hit my town I called to switch that same day. I got all my HDTV channels back for a cheaper price, and I now have GODLY download & upload speeds.

Comcast is the one doing the proverbial sucking.

Edit: Several months after this announcement, they still don't have anything that can touch FIOS. Whatevah!

El Guaco on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I want FIOS in San Diego so bad.

gilrain on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    EggyToast wrote: »
    I'll be excited when they start maxing out DOCSIS 1.0 for most users.

I would be too, but I guess they've gotten tired of cable modems being too cheap and will force people to have a 3.0 modem anyway, just like with 2.0

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    FIOS needs to happen in Chicago, NOW.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You people and your fancy fiber optic internets. That won't happen up here* for at least a decade.

*Central Alberta, Canada

Shurakai on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Shurakai wrote: »
    You people and your fancy fiber optic internets. That won't happen up here* for at least a decade.

*Central Alberta, Canada
    hell, a good portion of alberta still can't get anything but satellite, let alone fiber

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Gihgehls wrote: »

/$0.02

This makes me laugh and cry at the same time. (Laughing mostly)

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

/$0.02

Which is fine, since the CPU doesn't do any video conversion or rendering.. there is a dedicated video chip for that.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
  • Options
    FrostozunaFrostozuna Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I don't care what either company rolls out until it rolls out to my house. Right now I have 2 options:
    Comcast for high prices and decent bandwidth
    Dial-up

You can guess which one I have. Until Verizon actually PROVIDES FIOS to my door (or more reasonably, the side of my house), they're service capabilities and speed are useless to me. They couldn't be bothered to bring DSL to me, and I don't think they'll care about bringing FIOS to me either. So Comcast is my go-to company right now for any internet speed faster than a snail.
    I'm in the exact same situation. The town to the west of us got FIOS a little while ago, and my house is right on the border. And not just close to the border, but like, my-fucking-next-door-neighbor-has-it-close to the border

Frostozuna on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    RoundBoy wrote: »
    Which is fine, since the CPU doesn't do any video conversion or rendering.. there is a dedicated video chip for that.

Correct. Dedicated decoding chips are what make the video, but that crappy little processor is responsible for the menus.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1008271

Comcast has lowered the bitrate on several HD stations, with more likely to follow.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Correct. Dedicated decoding chips are what make the video, but that crappy little processor is responsible for the menus.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1008271

Comcast has lowered the bitrate on several HD stations, with more likely to follow.

Thats part of the reason I am dumping them. Two years ago they said they were boosting speed. The haven't.
    The keep talking about this speed boost but I am getting 2mbps down and 768up (encripted so its likely less)

I will know tomorrow how much of a difference it is. Honestly, I'm excited. Everything has been smooth since ordering. No need to tear up my yard. Seems the fiber ran right up to our house. 5 business days from ordering tells me they want my business. I have to say, As long as this install doesn't get fucked up, I will be happy.

Any recommendations on a router alternative? I hear the actiontec one isn't so hot. I might have to get them to hook up the ethernet setup instead of the MoCA (Multimedia over Coax Alliance)

They are giving me a 200$ giftcard to circut city so I'm reserving 100$ of that for a new keyboard and then 100$ towards a router of some kind.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    They are giving me a 200$ giftcard to circut city so I'm reserving 100$ of that for a new keyboard and then 100$ towards a router of some kind.

That's a really expensive keyboard right there, I tell you what.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008

That's a really expensive keyboard right there, I tell you what.

I want one of those fancy backlit ones. G15/G11 maybe a saitec Cyborg. Not sure really. It will likely be under 100$ leaving a bit more for a nice router.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

/$0.02

Btw, the Mpeg chip on both comcast and verizon's DVR boxes are both CHEAP. I *believe* verizon suffers less image quality loss due to the fact that they don't have to compress it as much. Also, from what I hear, the verizon DVR software is clearly superior to the comcast DVR.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

/$0.02

Btw, the Mpeg chip on both comcast and verizon's DVR boxes are both CHEAP. I *believe* verizon suffers less image quality loss due to the fact that they don't have to compress it as much. Also, from what I hear, the verizon DVR software is clearly superior to the comcast DVR.

An mpeg2 decoder is an mpeg2 decoder.. if you compare mpeg2 vs mpeg4, you would see that 4 gives greater image quality and compression ..

Then there is how the feed is passed to the customer.. I hear ABC is sent as 720p, and it is untouched. Other channels are sent in various formats that are up / down converted at different points to deliver it as 720p / 1080i to you.

Which leads to bandwidth. Comcast has 38.8 Mbps Qams. At normal quality and compression, you need 19.4 Mbps for EACH HD channel you would like to send. Comcast doesn't have enough bandwidth to limit each QAM to just 2 channels.. so it started putting 3 channels on each, lowering quality to be able to fit.

The links above give great insight into what is happening, although its different for each market. The philly market is particularly bad since we have older QAMs that can't handle that much bandwidth, causing even greater quality loss and giving us less channels. We are set to get 5 out of 8 channels that the rest of the contry has had for a long time on April 3rd or so.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Also, from what I hear, the verizon DVR software is clearly superior to the comcast DVR.

When I first used the FiOS DVR, it sucked really badly. When I visited my parents recently I noticed that it had been totally upgraded. The device is much more responsive and the UI it much prettier, but the layout of the UI is still totally unintuitive. TiVo it ain't.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.