Options

BIG MAN! BIG MAN! LET'S HUMP THIS SHIT UP!

• Options
    DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    mastman wrote: »
    Can we not discuss kettlebells today.

please.

But, I checked on wikipedia, and the answer is yes, and 24.3 kg. Also, they have to be yellow kettlebells

Fuck, man. The 24s at my place are red. I could be getting so much more out of this routine!

Defender on
  • Options
    ZombotZombot Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I have such a bird's chest. I hate it.
    Definitely going to focus on my chest heavily when I start to bulk.

Zombot on
  • Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Zombot wrote: »

Dude, birds have 90% of their muscle in their chest.

You know, from all the flapping.

Jyardana on
  • Options
    KingAgamemnonKingAgamemnon Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Jyardana wrote: »

You know, from all the fapping.

In other news, what would you fellows recommend as a good warm up before a workout, I'm talking cardio. I like to do 10 minutes on the elliptical. Good? How about running afterwards? I never have, but I understand it's the thing to do, though I suppose I would have to have a protein shake before the run or something.

What I really want to know is, is there a way to keep or gain muscle yet lose the fat? Easily that is. Or should I just stop being a pussy and start counting calories?

KingAgamemnon on
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

In other news, what would you fellows recommend as a good warm up before a workout, I'm talking cardio. I like to do 10 minutes on the elliptical. Good? How about running afterwards? I never have, but I understand it's the thing to do, though I suppose I would have to have a protein shake before the run or something.

What I really want to know is, is there a way to keep or gain muscle yet lose the fat? Easily that is. Or should I just stop being a pussy and start counting calories?

you don't have to count calories, unless that motivates you.
    cut out the shitty food, get a good balance of protein, carbs and veggies, and get some semblance of a workout routine. it should have some amount of cardio, and some amount of weight training.

there ya go.

redfenix on
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Defender wrote: »

please.

But, I checked on wikipedia, and the answer is yes, and 24.3 kg. Also, they have to be yellow kettlebells

Fuck, man. The 24s at my place are red. I could be getting so much more out of this routine!

Fap material for defender
    new%20bells.jpg

redfenix on
  • Options
    EvylEvyl Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    redfenix wrote: »

you don't have to count calories, unless that motivates you.
    cut out the shitty food, get a good balance of protein, carbs and veggies, and get some semblance of a workout routine. it should have some amount of cardio, and some amount of weight training.

there ya go.

When I started working out & such, I decided to count calories for a while simply because I had no idea what I was doing. Pretty glad I did, because it turns out I was eating about 1000 calories under my maintenance level every day.... plus, my fat-carb-protein ration was ugly - about 20-60-20. I'm eating more now (generally maintenance +/- 100), and my ratio is closer to 25-35-40. So if you don't know what your calorie maintenance level is, or how many calories you're taking in per day, i'd recommend doing it for a week or two - it'll save you a lot of grief down the road.

Evyl on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I have a workout routine. Strength is not my problem, just fat. I think I am one of those guys that puts on muscle rather easily. Powerlifted in high school, took a break, and 6 years later I'm stronger than I was (also fatter). So, there that is.

KingAgamemnon on
  • Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

don't count calories unless you're OCD like that. it'll drive you crazy. and it's very difficult to make improvements in both muscle mass and bodyfat composition at the same time. operate under the assumption that when you lose weight it's both fat and muscle and when you gain weight it's both muscle and fat. the key is to lose more fat than muscle during cuts and build more muscle than fat during bulks. and that revolves entirely around the diet.

as for cardio, i always think the vast majority of cardio should be done after the lifting rather than before. definitely put in 5-10 minutes of warmup (just 'til you break a sweat) before you lift to fend off injury, but any extended cardio session should be put at the end of the workout, not the beginning. just my opinion.

the wook on
  • Options
    xeroismygodxeroismygod Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    redfenix wrote: »

please.

Fap material for defender
    new%20bells.jpg

I also am in love with kettle bells.

xeroismygod on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited April 2008
    So today I nearly had to choke a bitch. I'm alternating squats and bench and this dude comes over to the bench and I am all "sure dude as long as I can work in while you're resting". So he does his fucking quarter reps and then I get onto the bench and not only does he criticise my technique but spots me without invitation and holds the fucking bar while doing so. WHICH SORT OF DEFEATS THE WHOLE FUCKING POINT OF LIFTING WEIGHTS DOESN'T IT.

I'm going to start taking a tyre iron to the gym.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I hate it when guys ride the bar when they're spotting me, it's a sign of someone who just doesn't care to pay attention. Shit, one time I was trying to max on the bench and this dude I asked to spot me rode the bar down, like wtf guy. Now I make sure to tell them that I don't need help unless I ask for it (with more tact of course) Wayne Brady knows

waynebradychoke5ni.jpg

KingAgamemnon on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Firstly it's patronising and secondly it means that I have no idea whether I would have actually finished the bastard set or not. Goddamn do I hate these weekend warrior bitches. I'm going to start training at 6am, it's the only way.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    So today I nearly had to choke a bitch. I'm alternating squats and bench and this dude comes over to the bench and I am all "sure dude as long as I can work in while you're resting". So he does his fucking quarter reps and then I get onto the bench and not only does he criticise my technique but spots me without invitation and holds the fucking bar while doing so. WHICH SORT OF DEFEATS THE WHOLE FUCKING POINT OF LIFTING WEIGHTS DOESN'T IT.

So you're lifting weights and he's just like "oh hey that looks heavy, I'll help that guy out!"

Awesome!

Yeah. There is. I've dropped about 20 pounds while gaining significant amounts of strength doing the routine that I do. Granted, I do have a trainer, so that makes it a little easier. And the hours upon hours of pretty hard martial arts training probably helps.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

So you're lifting weights and he's just like "oh hey that looks heavy, I'll help that guy out!"

Awesome!

Yeah. There is. I've dropped about 20 pounds while gaining significant amounts of strength doing the routine that I do. Granted, I do have a trainer, so that makes it a little easier. And the hours upon hours of pretty hard martial arts training probably helps.

strength and muscle are not the same

the wook on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Well you really never gain muscle, I mean, you just make the actual cells larger. You have the same number of cells, though. But yes, doing what I do will not get you beefy. It will just make you strong and flexible and resistant to injury.

Defender on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    qualification - strength and muscle mass are not the same

the wook on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Awesome!

I know. You can't even say anything either because he's not trying to be a dick. When I saw him bench I noticed he was doing half reps with the same weight I use, and then the fucker has the nerve to say "you need to go right to your nipples" when I'm benching. Prick prick prick prick prick. I hope he dies.

The worst thing? He went to someone else for a spot.

Tube on
  • Options
    Hobbit LandHobbit Land Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    the wook wrote: »

They aren't super different though...

Hobbit Land on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

They are VERY different. How many pounds of meat you are carrying around does not have a linear relationship to how strong you are.

Awesome!

I know. You can't even say anything either because he's not trying to be a dick. When I saw him bench I noticed he was doing half reps with the same weight I use, and then the fucker has the nerve to say "you need to go right to your nipples" when I'm benching. Prick prick prick prick prick. I hope he dies.

The worst thing? He went to someone else for a spot.

I don't even think that that's correct. When I used to do heavy benching, I did go down until the bar touched my chest, but that kept stretching the shoulder tendons. I think that right at the bottom, your tendons start holding the weight and it's basically not good for the joint long-term. I could be wrong, but that's how it feels to me, and some trainers have told me that that's the reason.

I don't even know why he'd go to someone else. Seriously, a lightweight girl can spot you just fine. She only needs to pick up your slack, it's not like when you go to failure you suddenly have 0 pounds of upward force and the spotter's gotta curl your entire bench weight.

But yeah I can relate to the annoyance, I really hate when someone fucks up my set and then it's like "well, great, now I don't know how to adjust my weight for next time, thanks!"

Defender on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

no, but it is pretty easy to add strength while losing weight. it's significantly harder to add muscle mass while losing weight.

the wook on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Every time I work out at that stupid place I get a little closer to cancelling my membership and going back to ghetto gym.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I also hate it when dudes don't put their weight away. I have OCD when it comes to that, if I'm working out in an area of the gym that area will be spotless when I leave, my weights and any others will be put back in their proper places. I was traumatized as a kid, in my first gym, the owner comes out and gives me the rundown specifically saying that I need to put my weights away after I'm done. So, what do I do? I leave some weights on an incline machine, owner comes out (he knows it's not one the regulars) and yells, "Hey, kid, forget what I just told you?" I then proceeded to trip trying to get over there to strip the machine, meanwhile the old guys are grinning and pointing.

Good gym though, hole-in-the wall type place, lots of chalk.

KingAgamemnon on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I am becoming suspicous that there is a inverse relationship to the gym on how many idiots there are in it and how much chalk there is in there.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I have been going there for nearly two months and I have never seen anyone use the squat rack for anything but curling. I have seen so many sets of curls that it is unbelievable. Every kind of curl you can imagine. I haven't done a single curl since joining simply because I am ashamed to be one of those guys. I have guys just stare at me the entire time I squat (in between MONSTER curl sets) and a guy broke off his nth curl set today to tell me I was lifting some "serious weight" on those squats. Yeah dude, a 150 lb squat for six sets, I bet Dave Tate is shitting himself.

This program I'm on (bear in mind I've never done a direct arm day in my entire life) has a dedicated bicep day AND a dedicated tricep day. I am going to be so embarassed that I am considering going in at 6am so that I'll be the only person there.

Tube on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    my legs are fucking dead and i feel like a little girl

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    man, who the fuck cares what you lift at. most people are too busy focusing on their own weight and form to give a shit about what you are doing.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Nogs wrote: »
    man, who the fuck cares what you lift at. most people are too busy focusing on their own weight and form to give a shit about what you are doing.

Yeah that wasn't really the point I was making.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I'm the only one who squats at my gym I go to in the summer also. Or cleans. Or step ups. Or any leg lift that doesn't use a machine. They actually got rid of the other squat rack so now we only have one and if that goes, so do I.

I'm finally back up to lifting heavy after tweaking my hammy mid race about 10 days ago.

Powercleans 3x3 @ 225
    Hangcleans 3x3 @ 205
    Squats to parallel 5x4 @ 295

Still can't run full speed but I'm still gonna run two 400's at the meet this weekend for a workout.

Jyardana on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I'm doing romanian deadlifts tomorrow, I checked out some form videos and guides and have rippetoe's guide, but any other tips would be appreciated.

Also, I woke up today with a screaming assfuck headache, went to the gym anyway and that cleared it for three hours, and also cut my lower back DOMS down to a manageable level. Exercise is great.

Tube on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I am tempted to go join a gym again as I used to be part of the machine jockeys but gave that up and went to my own ghetto gym at home.

I really would like to go one just so I could use the squat racks since my set up at home you just remove the seat reverse the hooks up the top and raise them, but there aren't any rescuse spots at the base and I'm a tiny bit worried about what would happen if I get stuck.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    ugh why do i do this to myself

ran another 4 miles today. this better be making me sexy as shit, 'cause my health alone ain't worth it.

the wook on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    You know that ice cream truck comes round every day.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    along with that joke right?

the wook on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Wook, have you ever considered an eating disorder? I hear it's all the rage with 12 year old girls.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    well i was lucky enough to get ulcers when i was 12. oh man the weight dropped off then. but then everybody was all 'you have to go to the hospital or you'll die of dehydration' and then all i did was watch quantum leap for like 100 hours straight and then it was like 'no amount of sexy is worth this much scott bakula'

the wook on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I'm doing romanian deadlifts tomorrow, I checked out some form videos and guides and have rippetoe's guide, but any other tips would be appreciated.

Also, I woke up today with a screaming assfuck headache, went to the gym anyway and that cleared it for three hours, and also cut my lower back DOMS down to a manageable level. Exercise is great.

Make sure that you pull your hips through at the top and squeeze your glutes, otherwise you are missing a huge part of the lift.

Depth of the lift depends on your flexibility and back strength, so start light and see how well your back can handle it.

It's pretty simple, you shouldn't have a problem.

Jyardana on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I pretty much had an eating disorder for a while. They're pretty gay. Once you're eating right it's not called an eating disorder, but dedication.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Make sure that you pull your hips through at the top and squeeze your glutes, otherwise you are missing a huge part of the lift.

Depth of the lift depends on your flexibility and back strength, so start light and see how well your back can handle it.
    It's pretty simple, you shouldn't have a problem.

Awesome, thanks for the tips.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    No prob. RDL's are my favorite lift. What sets/reps?

Jyardana on
This discussion has been closed.