As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BONK ON] TF2: Basically, kind of a big deal - ON SALE THIS WEEKEND, SEE OP

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    i like the engineer/demo limit

tyrannus on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The last point is a sniper's dream anyway. So much so that two other guys went sniper and we were down two engineers and inevitably lost.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    KazhiimKazhiim __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    I went ahead and got 10 million healing on that server to prove a point to mandalorian

I'm not entirely sure what that point was

perhaps it was "TF2 servers should boot you for idling when you go do your homework"

Kazhiim on
    lost_sig2.png
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    veritas1 wrote: »
    I actually think Dustbowl is a good map. However, trends in classes has led to a lot of people now going demo. With 3-4 demos on 3rd part defense, spamming nades into the doorways and laying sticky fields it's almost impossible to cap now. Was it that demo video that started everyone going demo? I remember at launch I used to play demo exclusively solely because it was the only class that frequently had no one playing it.

That's pretty much it.

I love dustbowl up to the third stage, and then I just :facepalm: because I know that the moderately good to excellent PAers have essentially boiled down the last stage to engi and demo defense, right down to sentry placement and the like. This is why I'm always trying to get people to drive forward, because a quick uber rush and cap, or at least an uber rush to put the defense off its footing for a bit, is the only way to win it. If it goes over five-eight minutes, the defense is well entrenched and you lose.

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Actually, there is one other way, and that is for an uber or scout to rush in mid-cap checkpoints and kill/trigger all the demos and sentries he can, and then give the all clear for teammates to follow and populate that checkpoint, defending it with engies, stickies, and SNIPERS of their own. There are plenty of buildings that the demos can't peek/plant in which can be uber blocked if it comes to that.

The problem is that everyone seems to think that there is only one suitable place for a base of operations, which happens to be right in the open and accessible by all sorts of spies and pyros. I've played several long, dragged out dustbowl rounds that were played with great fluidity.

Sure, the engineers can build three or four overlapping sentries and the demomen can mine all the doorways and passageways, but if you're not aiming for the cap point, it's usually one sentry, one minefield. Even a spy can beat those odds.

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    theantipoptheantipop Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Most people who have the friends achievement have cheated Valve, the players and the pope because I highly doubt you're really friends with those people.

theantipop on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I actually think Dustbowl is a good map. However, trends in classes has led to a lot of people now going demo. With 3-4 demos on 3rd part defense, spamming nades into the doorways and laying sticky fields it's almost impossible to cap now. Was it that demo video that started everyone going demo? I remember at launch I used to play demo exclusively solely because it was the only class that frequently had no one playing it.

That's pretty much it.

I love dustbowl up to the third stage, and then I just :facepalm: because I know that the moderately good to excellent PAers have essentially boiled down the last stage to engi and demo defense, right down to sentry placement and the like. This is why I'm always trying to get people to drive forward, because a quick uber rush and cap, or at least an uber rush to put the defense off its footing for a bit, is the only way to win it. If it goes over five-eight minutes, the defense is well entrenched and you lose.

Extremist much?

Like shit you always lose. It's just a bit tuff.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Nonono you see unless you can steamroll a point in less than 30 seconds it is broken and needs patching. Didn't you get the memo?

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    FightTestFightTest Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Dustbowl may be overplayed but you people crying about it being too defensible are being kind of alarmist. I see way more offensive wins than I do defensive wins. Usually the first two points fall so fast the third section has like 20 minutes to cap. If you can't cap in 20 minutes it has to do with your team not the other team or the map.

FightTest on
    MOBA DOTA.
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Err, medics and heavies can pretty much rock the first defense point of dustbowl's third tier. Get a couple engies, a couple demos, some medics and heavies, with the rest going sniper/soldier and you've pretty much already won the game.

The last point pretty much boils down to whether or not the defense can keep killing the medics before they can uber. I enjoy a good pyro/spy on the last defense point myself.

edit: And seriously it's been a long time since I've seen a defense win dustbowl that the teams weren't crazy lopsided on.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I go demo/sniper on the 3rd section because scout is worthless on that map. So much that I've been bitched out for playing scout on that section.

Shogun on
  • Options
    martymarty Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    guys guys guys why are you arguing

just go buy some food

smoke a blunt

marty on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Another valuable tip for the first point: Having one or two demos of your own allows you to spam through the windows of the building in front of you, and most of the time your explosions will land exactly where the engie base is always built and the medics are building their ubers. It's elementary to spy/scout cap while spamming the entry route from there, safe from all but an uber assault. All of that can be done even if the first point isn't capped in the first five minutes.

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    theantipoptheantipop Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Marty is the internet Dr. Phil.

theantipop on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    marty wrote: »

just go buy some food

smoke a blunt
    God damnit marty hurry up and just put a gun in your mouth and pull the trigger.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Paladin wrote: »
    Another valuable tip for the first point: Having one or two demos of your own allows you to spam through the windows of the building in front of you, and most of the time your explosions will land exactly where the engie base is always built and the medics are building their ubers. It's elementary to spy/scout cap while spamming the entry route from there, safe from all but an uber assault. All of that can be done even if the first point isn't capped in the first five minutes.

The fifth point isn't too out of whack. Although the one pathway through can get a bit annoying it is close enough to the cap that you can blow through quickly with an uber, sac'ing a meatshield or rocket jumping.

The sixth point can make one want to pull their hair out on offense though, because the entryways to the point are so thin and explosive prone while the the defensive positions are wide open. Sure, you can break through a tough defense there with multiple ubers, but that doesn't make it more enjoyable to everyone else who is a sitting duck having to deal with nade and sticky spam in addition to turrets.

Savant on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

just go buy some food

smoke a blunt
    God damnit marty hurry up and just put a gun in your mouth and pull the trigger.

Is this a serious post?

I don't know you very well.

Just in case, fuck you asshole.

If not, <3.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

just go buy some food

smoke a blunt

Is this a serious post?

If not, <3.

This is a serious post.

Just wanted to make one for comparison's sake.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    edited April 2008

just go buy some food

smoke a blunt

Is this a serious post?

If not, <3.

This is a serious post.

Just wanted to make one for comparison's sake.

Well you aren't ragging on Marty so I don't really care.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    This is why I fucking hate unlockables.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    ParisInFlamesParisInFlames Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I like them, it's a nice little carrot to move you along. But I like ones that just you'll get through playing all classes a decent length of time. Not for poop-socking one class. Or playing your class completely against it's intended playstyle.

ParisInFlames on
    UnderwaterUmbrellaGirlwider.jpg
    Steam id: skoot LoL id: skoot
  • Options
    noluitnoluit Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Savant wrote: »

The fifth point isn't too out of whack. Although the one pathway through can get a bit annoying it is close enough to the cap that you can blow through quickly with an uber, sac'ing a meatshield or rocket jumping.

The sixth point can make one want to pull their hair out on offense though, because the entryways to the point are so thin and explosive prone while the the defensive positions are wide open. Sure, you can break through a tough defense there with multiple ubers, but that doesn't make it more enjoyable to everyone else who is a sitting duck having to deal with nade and sticky spam in addition to turrets.

Also, today Gumpy and I locked down the gated tunnel on the second point of Dustbowl while defending as demoman and soldier. We basically just relied on the healthpack at the back and the dropped weapons of gibbed BLUs. Pretty sweet.

noluit on
  • Options
    QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I suppose one strategy that'll take fold now will be for the offending team to move in with a normal uber to take out sentries, followed by a crit uber soldier/pyro to blow the shit out of the rest of the team.

QuestionMarkMan on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    noluit wrote: »
    Savant wrote: »

Also, today Gumpy and I locked down the gated tunnel on the second point of Dustbowl while defending as demoman and soldier. We basically just relied on the healthpack at the back and the dropped weapons of gibbed BLUs. Pretty sweet.

Hey, I saved you guys a few times. Perhaps you remember a delightful scout darting through there on occasion? I had just shot dudes in the back.

Also, waiting for the update is killing me. Chances are high we won't be getting it tonight, but I keep refreshing my favorites list, hoping, praying that one of the servers will say "goldrush".

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

That's pretty much it.

Extremist much?

Like shit you always lose. It's just a bit tuff.

This has been my experience with it. If you're playing against any kind of good defense team, you'll be pulling out plenty of hairs

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    CheezyCheezy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    That bug I was complaining about? Turned out to be my graphics card dying. It went out with a bang, so I'll be out of commission for a while until I can afford a new graphics card. It's been fun, guys.

Cheezy on
  • Options
    SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I thought BF2 did Unlockables well, because they took a long time to get, but alot of people did it legitimatly.

Sueve on
  • Options
    buddha1227buddha1227 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Shogun, I feel your pain for "Highest Point/ life" as a scout.

At least you have 13, and I have 12!

But yea, I'm pretty sure the scout (unless you are Tiny)'s top points are bound to be less than more durable classes.

buddha1227 on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Sueve wrote: »

I thought BF2 did Unlockables well, because they took a long time to get, but alot of people did it legitimatly.

Getting all the unlockables in BF2, however, makes getting the 10 million heal points look like a good thing.

Slicer on
  • Options
    SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    We should start a competition to guess the other achievments

Sueve on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    buddha1227 wrote: »
    Shogun, I feel your pain for "Highest Point/ life" as a scout.

At least you have 13, and I have 12!

But yea, I'm pretty sure the scout (unless you are Tiny)'s top points are bound to be less than more durable classes.

I'm not convinced. I know I can play better. I need a new computer for starters. I have to keep all my settings on the lowest with a special config.ini file so my game runs well. And once hell breaks lose with heavies and soliders and shit firing constantly it chugs so bad. I also have to run the dx8 path instead of dx9. I also know I just play too aggressively. I don't like letting enemies get away wounded and I end up pushing the attack too far and run into a group of enemies. I also use my bat way too much. If it did more damage it wouldn't be so bad but unless someone is pretty wounded it takes quite a few licks to bring 'em down unless you get crits in there.

Shogun on
  • Options
    noluitnoluit Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Sueve wrote: »
    We should start a competition to guess the other achievments

Accumulate 10 million sentry kills
    Set 100 million people on fire.
    Fire 1 Billion bullets as heavy.

It'll be awesome.

noluit on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hell, even for Pyro I think I'll still cheat if there's an achievement that takes 200+ hours. That's a lot of time for anyone that doesn't focus very heavily on one class.

Zek on
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Zek wrote: »
    Hell, even for Pyro I think I'll still cheat if there's an achievement that takes 200+ hours. That's a lot of time for anyone that doesn't focus very heavily on one class.

200 hours is way too much time to spend with TF2 period

IGNORE MY TOTAL PLAYED TIME YOU DICKS

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    One more post before I'm out... I can see your point. Having weapons that you realisticly may never have, just because you like several classes, would be rather annoying.

But look at it from my view, too. I stick mainly to Medic for months, a class I love playing, and I think its safe to say I'm one of the better medics on the server. I have more hours in medic than alot of people have in TF2. (Thats kind of sad, also) Then, I'm teased for months about exclusive content for Medic.

Then, its said that one of the achievements will be 10 million healing... something only ONE PERSON IN THE WORLD has accomplished. And I find out that I'm not very far off from that goal! I think to myself that I could be one of very few people to EVER reach that goal, let alone I could very well be one of the first.

And then you post that. And the number becomes meaningless. The achievement becomes meaningless. The Ubersaw goes from something that only a dozen people may ever get, to something that everyone who plays on Mariokart can have.

Its just a game, yeah.

And now its just an ubersaw.

I can completely understand this point of view and it makes me :cry: for the injustice of what was going to be a hard earned reward turning into a 3 hour medic farming achievement.

If only a few people had access to the ubersaw it would be dumb. This isn't an MMO, I don't want to have to grind to get fun weapons.

The only compromise I could see happening is not tying the items to the achievement so there is less incentive to cheat for them.

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    ahaha, I just watched the "Meet the Scout" video. priceless. If you watch closely at the end, you'll notice that with his dying breath the heavy reaches for the sandwich!

Saint Justice on
    Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
  • Options
    MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I suddenly find myself very anxious for Goldrush. Can't wait until it's out.

First thing I'm going to do is climb on top of the cart as Heavy, and fire forever courtesy the built-in dispenser.

Until a Sniper empties my skull.

Mars on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    GUYS! GUYS! GUYS!~

I just opened TF2 and got the update window.

!!!
    What? What are you looking in here for? This is not a joke
    I'm serious, gtfo of here and go open TF2!
    Okay, sorry. This joke made me die a little inside.

Goose! on
  • Options
    iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I retain my stance that Goose! is the worst dude.

iowa on
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    the baddest dude.

TyrantCow on
This discussion has been closed.