As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BONK ON] TF2: Basically, kind of a big deal - ON SALE THIS WEEKEND, SEE OP

• Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hey, so how do I go about gettin' one of these TF2/Steam sigs?

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Zek wrote: »
    Somebody just posted a thread on the Steam forums about how they got 10,000,000 healed in 3 hours. It's been deleted, but here it is:
    I HAVE NO BALLS.

It's pretty obvious that this achievement will be massively farmed within days to the point that it has no meaning. Valve can't ban people for doing this, because it would mean banning everybody that plays on servers with silly settings.

Fucking hell. Thats redonkulus. I was already in a bad mood for various reasons, but you have made it worse. THANK YOU ZEK. THANK YOU VERY FUCKING MUCH.

Come on man, I know it's nice to have bragging rights but it's totally ridiculous to keep actual game content hidden from people that haven't played one class for 200 hours, especially something that's a considerable gameplay advantage. You can brag about having done it for real, but don't get upset that people who play other classes want to unlock everything too.

Zek on
  • Options
    Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Somebody just posted a thread on the Steam forums about how they got 10,000,000 healed in 3 hours. It's been deleted, but here it is:
    I HAVE NO BALLS.

It's pretty obvious that this achievement will be massively farmed within days to the point that it has no meaning. Valve can't ban people for doing this, because it would mean banning everybody that plays on servers with silly settings.

Fucking hell. Thats redonkulus. I was already in a bad mood for various reasons, but you have made it worse. THANK YOU ZEK. THANK YOU VERY FUCKING MUCH.

Come on man, I know it's nice to have bragging rights but it's totally ridiculous to keep actual game content hidden from people that haven't played one class for 200 hours, especially something that's a considerable gameplay advantage. You can brag about having done it for real, but don't get upset that people who play other classes want to unlock everything too.

At the same time though I don't think you should have it handed to you in 3 hours of playing the medic. I think a compromise of 2-3 million points for the achievement would be best. Granted people would probably still farm it.

Gear Girl on
  • Options
    Mandalorian RoosterMandalorian Rooster Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

No... I view these achievements as something that is solely for bragging rights. Theres are reason they set that healing up so high... so that very few people would get it, and it would be a long term goal for someone. Not a goal you can accomplish in 3 hours with some friends. The people who do multiple classes could easily get the 18/32 achievements for their classes, and set the 36/36 as something to work toward. It would make it damn impressive when they got more than one, too. Now the achievements will mostly be about who can figure out how to fuck with the system first.

I think I'm in the minority here, I guess. I liked the idea of this system... and I hoped it would take a little longer before someone broke it.

Mandalorian Rooster on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'd probably farm the 10 fucking MILLION points.

Nothing else, though.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    They just want more people to play medic, and that's what's happening.

Goose! on
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, it's not like anyone thought you're awesome cause you have that achievement.

Fuga on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Being a medic is awesome though.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

No... I view these achievements as something that is solely for bragging rights. Theres are reason they set that healing up so high... so that very few people would get it, and it would be a long term goal for someone. Not a goal you can accomplish in 3 hours with some friends. The people who do multiple classes could easily get the 18/32 achievements for their classes, and set the 36/36 as something to work toward. It would make it damn impressive when they got more than one, too. Now the achievements will mostly be about who can figure out how to fuck with the system first.

I think I'm in the minority here, I guess. I liked the idea of this system... and I hoped it would take a little longer before someone broke it.

It's one thing for achievements to be insanely hard for bragging rights. When they tie it to an actual weapon - a really good one at that - all bets are off. Everybody wants to play with the ubersaw and doesn't care nearly enough about your bragging rights to go without. If it took a hundred million healed instead, would you cheat for it?

Zek on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Fuga wrote: »
    Yeah, it's not like anyone thought you're awesome cause you have that achievement.

Really? Damn. I thought everyone was clapping like a seal for me and my awesomeness. I'm sad now. :|
    If it took a hundred million healed instead, would you cheat for it?

Well... that is even more ridiculously high. I don't think anyone would stick with TF2 long enough to reach that goal. If it was even 30 million, I could say yes... I would go for it. And I'm serious here, I would not cheat for that.

100 million... I'd be on that server though.

Mandalorian Rooster on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Mandalore's going to do it legit because he actually plays medic all the time.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    My Name Is LukeMy Name Is Luke Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I love how much my computer hates running TF2.

My Name Is Luke on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Man, valve just shouldn't release any dates, even if it is only "the week of (date)". Gives false hope, and if it doesn't come out today i will cry.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    If it took a hundred million healed instead, would you cheat for it?

Well... that is even more ridiculously high. I don't think anyone would stick with TF2 long enough to reach that goal. If it was even 30 million, I could say yes... I would go for it. And I'm serious here, I would not cheat for that.

100 million... I'd be on that server though.

Well to most of us, it might as well be 100 million. With my current proportions of class play times, I would have over 3,000 played hours before getting that achievement. I sure hope I never play that much TF2 in my lifetime. So it's either I give Valve the finger and inflate my score, or I don't get the ubersaw period. And that doesn't help anybody except the other team when I'm playing Medic.

Zek on
  • Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    UH YEAH GUYS SO ABOUT THAT SIG

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    noluitnoluit Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    UH YEAH GUYS SO ABOUT THAT SIG

PM Alabsterslim? I think his name on the forums is Suds.

noluit on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I <3 noluit.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    One more post before I'm out... I can see your point. Having weapons that you realisticly may never have, just because you like several classes, would be rather annoying.

But look at it from my view, too. I stick mainly to Medic for months, a class I love playing, and I think its safe to say I'm one of the better medics on the server. I have more hours in medic than alot of people have in TF2. (Thats kind of sad, also) Then, I'm teased for months about exclusive content for Medic.

Then, its said that one of the achievements will be 10 million healing... something only ONE PERSON IN THE WORLD has accomplished. And I find out that I'm not very far off from that goal! I think to myself that I could be one of very few people to EVER reach that goal, let alone I could very well be one of the first.

And then you post that. And the number becomes meaningless. The achievement becomes meaningless. The Ubersaw goes from something that only a dozen people may ever get, to something that everyone who plays on Mariokart can have.

Its just a game, yeah.

And now its just an ubersaw.

Mandalorian Rooster on
  • Options
    noluitnoluit Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Rentilius wrote: »
    I <3 noluit.

I <3 you, but I hate your crit rockets.

This is why we can never be together

noluit on
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Wait what was it before it was just an Ubersaw?

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    It was always just an ubersaw to me.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Wait what was it before it was just an Ubersaw?

It was The Ubersaw. One of a dozen in the world? Now it'll be as common as Marioka... nevermind. No one gets poetic license.

Mandalorian Rooster on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I UNDERSTOOD YOU
    POETRY IS NOT DEAD

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    DeMoN wrote: »
    I UNDERSTOOD YOU
    POETRY IS NOT DEAD

TOXIC IS MY FRIEND

Mandalorian Rooster on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well my headphones broke. My only option for sound at the moment is with some ipod earbuds. So yeah I may be out of commission for a while. Finals in a week or so anyway.

Shogun on
  • Options
    MindspreadMindspread Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    heh.

Remove the tedium of the 10 million heal points requirement with this map and instructions

http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/52470

Mindspread on
  • Options
    ZilartZilart Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Just bought this off Steam; couldn't really resist when I saw how much it was going for. I'm a sucker for these teamwork games, but I just suck so incredibly much. But I can't wait to try it out.

Medic, here I come!

Zilart on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Look, Manda, anyone who wants any of the achievements for any class to get any of the upgrades for those classes, will get them. Its that simple. And they'll do it however they want.

Goose! on
  • Options
    ZwaZwa Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I keep playing Trackmania Nations Forever and whenever I close the game a window pops up saying "Steam Update News". But it's just an advert for TMUF.

I forget this every time.

Zwa on
  • Options
    CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Less talk about imba medics, and more speculation about future unlocks.

A bat for the scout thats able to knock away rockets/nades, anyone?

CangoFett on
  • Options
    Dr.FunkensteinDr.Funkenstein Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ok so I checked my stats and for some reason they haven't changed. Does it take a while for the stats to update?

Dr.Funkenstein on
    TERRORSQUADSIG.gif
  • Options
    ParisInFlamesParisInFlames Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I played on this server: Capture the Server - Teddy Ruxpins Random Chaos Mario Kart 24/7.

IP: 72.233.81.10:27018

The server has like unlimited ammo, 50 health per second, theres no limit on how many sentries you can have, and every hit is a critical. Any who, medics are like invincible on the server, the only thing that can kill you is if you fall too high or if you get backstabbed by a spy. Since there is no health limit on the server you can just heal people as long as you want and it still counts, and since weapons shoot a lot faster on this server, your medigun will heal a lot faster. Sometimes you can heal for around 3000 per second. If you really wanted to you could just sit in spawn and heal people but I found it to be faster if you just stick with a soldier or heavy. This morning before I started, the amount I had healed was 600,000, and now I have all 10,000,000 points.

PROOF:
    proof3fe3.png

Note that if you go OVER 1 million in one sitting, the counter on the scoreboard will reset back to 0, but don't worry because it still counts.

Oh god that's going to piss me off. It's bad enough I have an inflated engineer score.

ParisInFlames on
    UnderwaterUmbrellaGirlwider.jpg
    Steam id: skoot LoL id: skoot
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Haha my top score with scout is a whopping 13.

Shogun on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Eh, mine's 15, and I specifically remember being on a role and knowing that I would never get that lucky again.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    god I hate dustbowl

tyrannus on
  • Options
    Meatshie1dMeatshie1d Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Wasn't the Medic patch supposed to come out today? Or was it the 22nd?

Meatshie1d on
  • Options
    DeadlySherpaDeadlySherpa Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    One more post before I'm out... I can see your point. Having weapons that you realisticly may never have, just because you like several classes, would be rather annoying.

But look at it from my view, too. I stick mainly to Medic for months, a class I love playing, and I think its safe to say I'm one of the better medics on the server. I have more hours in medic than alot of people have in TF2. (Thats kind of sad, also) Then, I'm teased for months about exclusive content for Medic.

Then, its said that one of the achievements will be 10 million healing... something only ONE PERSON IN THE WORLD has accomplished. And I find out that I'm not very far off from that goal! I think to myself that I could be one of very few people to EVER reach that goal, let alone I could very well be one of the first.

And then you post that. And the number becomes meaningless. The achievement becomes meaningless. The Ubersaw goes from something that only a dozen people may ever get, to something that everyone who plays on Mariokart can have.

Its just a game, yeah.

And now its just an ubersaw.

I can completely understand this point of view and it makes me :cry: for the injustice of what was going to be a hard earned reward turning into a 3 hour medic farming achievement.

DeadlySherpa on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Eh, mine's 15, and I specifically remember being on a role and knowing that I would never get that lucky again.

Yeah but I see you playing different classes all the time. I only play scout because its the only class I really love to death. I do only have something like 70 hours in as scout but I feel like it should be better than 13. I think I just play too aggressively for a class that is so fragile to damage.

Shogun on
  • Options
    veritas1veritas1 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I actually think Dustbowl is a good map. However, trends in classes has led to a lot of people now going demo. With 3-4 demos on 3rd part defense, spamming nades into the doorways and laying sticky fields it's almost impossible to cap now. Was it that demo video that started everyone going demo? I remember at launch I used to play demo exclusively solely because it was the only class that frequently had no one playing it.

veritas1 on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Dustbowl is fucking horrible, and as Cosby it says it's nothing wrong with the map design it's the players.

I'll say again what I saw when this was released: It needs class limits.

Max 2 engies/demos? Fun game. No limit? Turret/Nade spam, possibly the least fun I've ever had in a FPS. Crits don't help either.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.