As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[ZOMBIE ON] Dead Rising revisited

Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer NipplesThe EchidnaRegistered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
So just before christmas I picked up an X360 and a few games. Chief among them (besides Gears of War) is the zombie smash-em-up Dead Rising. I've just put in about half an hour, gotten to a dude with a sub-machine gun thing, and got my ass shot off. But that was right after running over some zombies with a lawnmower. So overall, I'm enjoying myself.

I figured I'd post this up to see if anyone has any general tips for my first runthrough of the game. I never really looked at the original Dead Rising thread, as I'd always planned on picking this up, so now I'm interested in seeing how everything works. Specifically, if there's any 'do it now cuz youll never get another chance' moments, I'd love to hear about em.

Oh yeah...ZOMBIES!

deadrising.jpg

Houk the Namebringer on

• Options
    vinhjvinhj Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I just got this game for my new XBox 360 and read about how badly it performs on SD TV sets. I don't have anything other than an SD set...is it so distracting and horrible that it borders on unplayable?

vinhj on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    To me it was. It's basically just the letters are fucking tiny on regular tvs. At first I thought it wouldn't be so bad, but not everything is voiced acted, so sometimes you'll get important messages that you can't even read.

Plus honestly..I found the game to be a bit overrated. I didn't find it truly that fun, and the fact that when you die, you have to start from the beginning really soured me on the experience.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    vinhj wrote:
    I just got this game for my new XBox 360 and read about how badly it performs on SD TV sets. I don't have anything other than an SD set...is it so distracting and horrible that it borders on unplayable?

It's mostly just that all of the text in the game is pretty small. This is compounded by the fact that a good chunk of the dialog is rendered in text only. So if you think that sounds bad, you might want to wait, but honestly I'd still play the game myself. Just expect to do some squinting/sitting close to the TV. How big is your SDTV?

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited December 2006
    vinhj wrote:

The text is tiny and blurry

still readable, but you'll be squinting at it

not a game breaker

even though i've beat it ten ways from sunday, i still fire it up occasionally to suplex zombies for awhile

Knob on
  • Options
    The TommyThe Tommy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I've got a Standard-Def TV too, and this game always looked really interesting. I got a 360 today, so maybe I'll pick it up.

Is any part of this game scary? I know it's really a campy take on zombies, but hell, I got freaked out by a couple of parts of Shawn of the Dead.

The Tommy on
    modestmousesig2ab5.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    noir_blood wrote:
    Plus honestly..I found the game to be a bit overrated. I didn't find it truly that fun, and the fact that when you die, you have to start from the beginning really soured me on the experience.
    You don't have to start over though, do you? You can start over, or you can load from your last save. Still not awesome, but you don't have to lose everything, I dont think.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    noir_blood wrote:
    To me it was. It's basically just the letters are fucking tiny on regular tvs. At first I thought it wouldn't be so bad, but not everything is voiced acted, so sometimes you'll get important messages that you can't even read.

I'm going to be nice and not flip out because it's Christmas, so I will quietly and politely inform you that you do not have to start over when you die.

Thank you.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Drez wrote:
    noir_blood wrote:

I'm going to be nice and not flip out because it's Christmas, so I will quietly and politely inform you that you do not have to start over when you die.

Thank you.

It's a Christmas miracle.

I've never had a problem with Dead Rising's save system. Sure there's only one save slot (unless you use the hard drive and a memory card), but it's ridiculously hard to screw yourself with it. In fact, I'd go so far as to say as you'd have to go out of your way to do so.

Invisible on
  • Options
    BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    ive got a 27" sd tv, and i was planning on picking this up, and an s-video cable for my 360.

i heard it improves the clarity of small text in games like this, but are there any picture comparisons on the web that can give me an indication if its worth it?

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Invisible wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    noir_blood wrote:

Thank you.

It's a Christmas miracle.

I've never had a problem with Dead Rising's save system. Sure there's only one save slot (unless you use the hard drive and a memory card), but it's ridiculously hard to screw yourself with it. In fact, I'd go so far as to say as you'd have to go out of your way to do so.

Out of the three times I played through it, the one save file thing only caused me one problem, I missed a survivor once.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    Jesus McChristJesus McChrist Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    First, get Yakety Sax on your 360.

Now, fill your inventory with quicksteps.

Resume play.

Jesus McChrist on
    if you can read this i hope you have a good day partner
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited December 2006
    Dead Rising's save system is actually one of my favorites

the problem with it is that it is pretty baroque and hard to wrap your head around at first

but once you figure out what they were trying to do with it, it is awesome

Knob on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    so...what were they trying to do with it?

ive only played the demo.

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    What the hell is that picture?

That is NOT Dead Rising! It can't be! the graphics look like a comic!
    Frank doesn't look ANYTHING like that in the game and that zombie he is holding also doesn't exist!

Where did you get this picture?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    BearcatBearcat Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Klyka wrote:
    What the hell is that picture?

That is NOT Dead Rising! It can't be! the graphics look like a comic!
    Frank doesn't look ANYTHING like that in the game and that zombie he is holding also doesn't exist!

Where did you get this picture?

Thats a picture from a beta build of the game ... a long time ago.

Bearcat on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    so...what were they trying to do with it?

ive only played the demo.
    I think they wanted to instill suspense and tension using game system mechanics.

Personally, I think it's a cop out. If you have to create tension through your save system rather than your gameplay and story, you have problems. But I can see how it works, and I never really had any complaints other than that.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    One time I fucked up and saved my game when I was too far away from the warehouse when I had very little time to get back in time for the next case. I had to restart then.

Also: [spoiler:a8677e11ae]Your save file is deleted if you die while trying to disarm the bombs towards the end.[/spoiler:a8677e11ae]

I absolutely loved this game though, but now that I unlocked infinite mode, is there any incentive to keep going, other than getting the [spoiler:a8677e11ae]M-Buster and light saber?[/spoiler:a8677e11ae]

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited December 2006

Also: [spoiler:6c7d4672fb]Your save file is deleted if you die while trying to disarm the bombs towards the end.[/spoiler:6c7d4672fb]

not it doesn't

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Oddly enough, I beat this today on my brother's 360, a nice little holiday treat, if you will.

I thought the story was pretty damn great, all things considered. The gameplay was perfect as far as balance of realistic v. comical.
    I got the [spoiler:06674df3ad] Good 'A' ending and overtime mode no sweat. The last battle with the military dude was kind of a bitch.[/spoiler:06674df3ad].

Also, Otis. Seriously. What was Capcom thinking. I would put money on that particular 'feature' not being present or drastically altered for the inevitable sequel. That and the text being fixed.

Dr. Phibbs McAthey on
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Well... it does force you to restart the game from the beginning, albeit at a higher level. You can't continue the story where you last died though. Sorry for the lack of clarification.

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I bought this when I only had a SDTV. I tried playing it for a week. I had a 25" to 28" TV. I found the text unreadable. I had 2 friends come by, they could read some of it. But it took 3 grown men with varying levels of eye sight to decipher this text.

That is not including the parts where some text scrolls by on the bottom of the screen real quick.

I returned it to the store. I think now that I have a 32" Samsung HDTV I'll pick it up again.

warder808 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Definitely up there as a game of the year candidate for me.

OP's screenshot is from what the game looked like two years ago.

Better:

928326_20060721_screen006.jpg

928326_20060710_screen023.jpg

928326_20060710_screen024.jpg

928326_20060629_screen001.jpg

928326_20060629_screen007.jpg

928326_20060629_screen063.jpg

928326_20060629_screen067.jpg

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Recoil42 wrote:
    Definitely up there as a game of the year candidate for me.

OP's screenshot is from what the game looked like two years ago.

I like the look of the OP shot more than these, actually.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    LukinLukin Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Well... it does force you to restart the game from the beginning, albeit at a higher level. You can't continue the story where you last died though. Sorry for the lack of clarification.

You are completely incorrect. It in no way forces you to restart from the beginning of the game. When you die, you have the choice to "save and quit" which saves your stats and from when you died and starts you at the beginning, and "resume from save" which predictably allows you to resume your game from your last save (wherever that may be in the story).

Lukin on
    cancer.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    quick question: are there unlockable characters, like that swat dude? or is it just frank through and through?

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Just Frank.

A lot of different clothes though.

Ranced on
  • Options
    Unlucky7Unlucky7 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Haven't played the game yet, but question: Is the main story still enjoyable even if you learned the cause of the zombie epidemic, which I understand as [spoiler:11ad2600ca]Americans eat meat too much damn meat[/spoiler:11ad2600ca]?

EDIT: So sorry if anyone caught those spoilers in the messed up tags earlier.

Also, a big FUCK YOU to the people who thought it was appropriate to discuss those spoilers, untagged, in the "360 Ads on the Gamespot PS3 Page" thread a while back.

Unlucky7 on
    "No one can out-dance evil!" - Space Channel 5
  • Options
    LukinLukin Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Unlucky7 wrote:
    Haven't played the game yet, but question: Is the main story still enjoyable even if you learned the cause of the zombie epidemic, which I understand as [spoiler:7660a06286]Americans eat meat too much damn meat[/spoiler:7660a06286]?

EDIT: So sorry if anyone caught those spoilers in the messed up tags.

Also, a big FUCK YOU to the people who thought it was appropriate to discuss those spoilers, untagged, in the "360 Ads on the Gamespot PS3 Page" thread a while back.

Why not? It's about killing zombies. It's fun no matter what the cause is.

Lukin on
    cancer.jpg
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Lukin wrote:

You are completely incorrect. It in no way forces you to restart from the beginning of the game. When you die, you have the choice to "save and quit" which saves your stats and from when you died and starts you at the beginning, and "resume from save" which predictably allows you to resume your game from your last save (wherever that may be in the story).

I don't get why people are confused with the save system. Reload at your last save is pretty standard for most games. Once you start getting really powered up, Frank turns into a god damn powerhouse. Do not underestimate the power of the books in the game. I did until the 3rd or so restart, then I breezed through the rest.

solsovly on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Knob wrote:
    Dead Rising's save system is actually one of my favorites

the problem with it is that it is pretty baroque and hard to wrap your head around at first

but once you figure out what they were trying to do with it, it is awesome
    I like it too, I pretty much play the game as if it's a rogue-like and just see how far I make it each time I play.

Also, putting the original Dawn of the Dead soundtrack as a custom soundtrack. So awesome.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    This is definitely the best showcase for custom soundtracks on the 360. Queen and Michael Jackson come to mind.

bruin on
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    We made a small list of songs for Dead Rising that we thought were really good zombie-killers over in 360 Arcadians (one of the rules was no heavy metal just for the sake of it - our last one got screwed over because the whole thing was just filled with fucking Slipknot and so forth).
    Queen - Don't Stop Me Now
    Woo Hoo - 5.6.7.8.'s
    Earth Crisis - Firestorm
    Muse - Knights of Cydonia
    Iggy and the Stooges - Search and Destroy
    Nirvana - Smells like teen spirit
    Blur - Song 2
    Muse - apocalypse please
    REM - Shiny Happy People
    Bee Gees - Stayin' Alive
    Trey Parker & Matt Stone - Blame Canada (because we all know the real source of all zombie plagues)
    Styx - Too much time on my hands
    Five Americans - Western Union
    Iggy Pop - Lust for life
    Baltimora - Tarzan Boy (works especially well when wearing a dress, wrestling pants or kid's clothes)
    The Rolling Stones - Start me up
    Mark Mothersbaugh - Ping Island / Lightning Strike Rescue Op
    Boots Randolph - Yakety Sax
    Sponge - Say a Prayer for Me
    Evergreen Terrace - Mad World (not the TFF version)
    Journey - Don't stop believin'

Iriah on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I loved this game entirely too much. After I played the unholy shit out of it. (I.E. Unlocked EVERYTHING, including that fucking 14 hour boxer shorts achievement) I was kind of sad, as I wanted to KEEP PLAYING, but I kind of ran out of things to do.

Sequel now plz, Capcom.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    my zombie inspired playlist

A Static Lullaby - Eager Cannibals
    Alesana - Nero's Decay
    At the Drive In - Mannequin Republic
    Blood Brothers - God Bless You, Blood Thirsty Zeppelins
    Brand New - Jesus Christ
    Cat Empire - Miserere
    Chiodos - Expired in Goreville
    Circa Survive - We're All Thieves
    Cursive - Staying Alive
    The Dear Hunter - City Escape
    Emaneul - New Violence
    Escape the Fate - There's No Sympathy for the Dead
    Fear Before the March of Flames - Taking Cassandra to the End of the World Party
    Fall of Troy - Whacko Jacko Steals the Elephant Man's Bones
    Finch - Perfection Through Silence
    From First to Last - The Latest Plague
    Funeral for a Friend - Recovery
    HORSE the Band - Bunnies
    The Mars Volta - Inertiatic Esp
    Moneen - The frightening Reality...
    Muse - Assassin
    My Chemical Romance - Hang 'Em High
    Pistolita - Panic
    Pixies - Where is My Mind?
    Portugal. The Man - Kill Me. The King
    The Postal Service - We Will Become Silhouettes
    Saosin - Sleepers
    Scary Kids Scaring Kids - The Bright Side of Suffering
    Senses Fail - Bite to Break Skin
    Silversun Pickups - Waste it On
    The Sleeping - The Big Breakdown -day 3- (the escape)
    The Sound of Animals Fighting - Skullflower
    Thrice - Deadbolt
    Trophy Scars - Apparition. Apparitions.
    Underoath - It's Dangerous Business Walking Out Your Front Door
    Vendetta Red - The Body and the Blood
    Youinseries - Outside We Are Fine

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I bought a 360 specifically for this game. I love it. I was pretty upset when I somehow missed the start time for a story mission and had to start over :/ So I am back to about the 3rd psycho I think.

[spoiler:8bb56abc9a]adam's death was horrific[/spoiler:8bb56abc9a]

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Knob wrote:
    even though i've beat it ten ways from sunday, i still fire it up occasionally to suplex zombies for awhile

Wait, did you say "suplex zombies"?

Like, wrestling style?

I was under the assumption (appreantly horribly flawed) that you only had weapons. Now that I know there's grappling attacks, I'm even more intrigued. Hoorah for holiday gift cards.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited December 2006
    I loved this game entirely too much. After I played the unholy shit out of it. (I.E. Unlocked EVERYTHING, including that fucking 14 hour boxer shorts achievement) I was kind of sad, as I wanted to KEEP PLAYING, but I kind of ran out of things to do.

Sequel now plz, Capcom.
    there is an achievement for the boxers? i keep them on all the time, i giggle so hard at the big ugly dude killing zombies with a chainsaw in his underwear

bongi on
  • Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    GoodOmens wrote:
    Knob wrote:

Like, wrestling style?

I was under the assumption (appreantly horribly flawed) that you only had weapons. Now that I know there's grappling attacks, I'm even more intrigued. Hoorah for holiday gift cards.
    There are quite a few hand-to-hand attacks. You learn them as you level up. And yes, they are awesome.

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    GoodOmens wrote:
    "Knob wrote:

Like, wrestling style?

Yes, wrestling style, although you have to level Frank up a bit before he starts learning the really cool barehanded moves.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    My 360 stopped playing Dead Rising. After the helicopter and talking with Carlito, it gets stuck on the loading screen. I tried this with two different copies of DR. I wonder what could be wrong, it's utterly depressing.

Someone pointed out that if you see smudges "inside" the disc, underneath where you can get to it, it might be that heat from the 360 may have warped it. But I'll try more rental copies in the future.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767