As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[OM NOM]Dawn of War 2: FUCKING TYRANID GAMEPLAY MOVIE!

• Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2008
    Basil wrote: »
    Aegeri wrote: »
    The flying units in soulstorm were just incredibly awful. I hated them from the instant I saw them and in game they were even worse than the movies made them out to bed.

The videos of those in action were actually the reason I didn't buy that expansion. ;-;
    Really? There's so many better reasons, like lack of support, game-breaking bugs, and women shooting guns!

I hope they don't do the same thing to DoW2.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Well, I sort of assumed the first two would come hand in hand with paper airplanes hanging on strings from the camera ceiling.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Well, I sort of assumed the first two would come hand in hand with paper airplanes hanging on strings from the camera ceiling.

Basically.

I still bought it anyway, because I'm like that and I was hoping the SP wouldn't suck.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Did you know that they can't go up cliffs the same way jumping units can? Because they can't, they have to go around.

Funny thing, they had some units that people actually wanted, like wraithguard and... whatever anyone else wanted, icons all named and stuff, but they never made it. I hope they're in DoW2. And troupes. Mostly troupes.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Goomba wrote: »
    Did you know that they can't go up cliffs the same way jumping units can? Because they can't, they have to go around.

There is not a big enough D: in this world to express my horror.

I'm glad I passed that particular revelation up.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    ShujaaShujaa Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I like how the "hotfix" patch for Soulstorm still isn't out yet.

Shujaa on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Shujaa wrote: »

It wasn't relics problem really and the other company going under really stuffed the whole thing. DoW 2 is dominating the news anyway and tbh, as much as it sucks, I'd rather them work on DoW 2 than a dead game anyway.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I want tyranids

I want to eat the imperial guard and melt space marines god damnit

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2008

It wasn't relics problem really and the other company going under really stuffed the whole thing. DoW 2 is dominating the news anyway and tbh, as much as it sucks, I'd rather them work on DoW 2 than a dead game anyway.
    How isn't it their problem? They said from the beginning that they would be the ones supporting it. I mean, I know it's an old, dead game, but it's annoying waiting months for hotfixes. At least CoH gets patches so I'm not too worried about it.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kingmetalkingmetal Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    My excitement for this game knows no bounds - and I'm even hoping for future expansions. With the glaring exception of Soulstorm, the expansions to DOW really didn't suck. Winter Assault was balanced, and the campaign wasn't half bad - and Dark Crusade was AWESOME. Except fuck the Necrons. Fuck them forever.

That's what I really enjoy about DOW - the balance may not be as tight as say Starcraft, but to me it's just loose enough where you don't have to be a crazed maniac player to do well. I can't speak to Soulstorm, but Dark Crusade was really well balanced, which is amazing considering how many sides there were. Sure, the Necrons were a bunch of cheap bitches, but you could get the drop on a good Necron player if you just kept your head together and beating them was always more fun.

This game will be epic and unending win no matter what they end up putting in - but if there is a point system that allows for squad customization and Tyranids I fear for my employability.

kingmetal on
  • Options
    Brian888Brian888 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    widowson wrote: »
    Dude.

Imagine a HALO Spartan about 200 pounds heavier, pumped with gallons of roids, and brainwashed to be an utterly loyal religious fanatic and a psychotic killing machine. Throw in an extra set of heart, lungs, hell, all the major organs with skin that can withstand hard vaccume and steel-hard bones to take the extra mass with ribs fused together to provide a sort of natural bulletproofing.

They also don't need to sleep and are given hand-held fully automatic rocket launchers as their *basic* weapon with servo-limbed, adamantium power-armor that is strong enough to make a SPARTAN's head explode if struck with a SM fist.

I yank-off to Space Marines because they're fucking awesome.

I'd also yank off to Baneblades and Lemas Russes because, without those 2 things, the Imperial Guard is a horde of conscripts with high-powered flashlights not fit for riot duty.

After all, what do you call an IG lasgun with a mounted flashlight?

Twin linked. :winky:

Don't forget about how they can spit acid.

Brian888 on
  • Options
    PiyoPiyo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Zzulu wrote: »
    I want tyranids

I want to eat the imperial guard and melt space marines god damnit

You and me both.

I wonder if Tyranids will make the cut. It seems unlikely with the focus on smaller army sizes over the original, but a boy can hope.

Piyo on
  • Options
    kingmetalkingmetal Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    What if the Tyranids are in the game but they're NOT A PLAYABLE SIDE. Oh man that would sting. Totally possible though - and certainly it could make the single player campaign a lot more interesting.

I'm going to pretend I didn't think of this though.

kingmetal on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I will make you wear a hat woven entirely out of dicks if that proves to be the case, and you will deserve it.

I'm an internet tough guy, I do declare.

...It would be interesting if done right, but they'd likely end up being the 100% big bad of the entire game. Not a bad thing, with Nids, but it's always creepy to see Orks and Space Marines fighting side by side against a greater menace.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    MGS Spoiler:
    Basically, Ocelot is dead. Red Ocelot is the leader of the Ocelot group in MGS3, in case you didn't know.

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    THE ABOVE IS A METAL GEAR SOLID SPOILER CLICK IT NOT LEST YE CRY.

This has been a public service announcement, we will now continue with your regularly scheduled nerd rage.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Screw you IG cannon fodder for life!
    about 5 seconds

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    PiyoPiyo Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    ...It would be interesting if done right, but they'd likely end up being the 100% big bad of the entire game. Not a bad thing, with Nids, but it's always creepy to see Orks and Space Marines fighting side by side against a greater menace.

Tyranids :: Dawn of War 2 as The Burning Legion :: Warcraft 3?

That would actually pretty cool, and would allow Relic more freedom with the 'nids in the single player campaign.

That being said, I really, really, REALLY want to play as the Tyranids. Don't make me wait for Dawn of War 3!

Piyo on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Piyo wrote: »
    That being said, I really, really, REALLY want to play as the Tyranids. Don't make me wait for Dawn of War 3!

Well, I hear Blizzard is making Starcraft 2. That's kind of like DoW3 and it has tyranids in it.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh what the hell, I didn't post that shit.

Burden of Proof on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Did someone mention DC balance because I know people hated Necrons, even though I loved to fight them, but really what I would talk about is team games with IG and you all know why.

But other than that, pretty great game. Other than that.

Edit: Oh and they said smaller number of squads, if I remember right. I don't see them stopping just because they have to have 12 guy squads, even DoW managed that.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    widowsonwidowson Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I hope the voice acting is as good as the first one. Apart from some of the new race commanders who sounded really shitty.

Relic pretty much did Orks perfectly, voice-wise. Perfectly.
    "Where'z da trukk? Why'z I walkin'!?"
    "Pull da pin, frow da uvver part."
    "Boss! We'z all gonna dieeeeee!"

Fuck yes. The voice work, for the most part, was pretty awesome.
    That reminds me. Gorgutz needs to come back.

Painboy FTW.

"This iz gonna hurt....A LOT...but you'll feel better, you'll see...a...haha..."
    "Time ta git me stabby bitz!"
    "'ho's ready for SURGERY?!?!"

widowson on
    -I owe nothing to Women's Lib.

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    widowsonwidowson Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Goomba wrote: »
    The flying units in soulstorm were just incredibly awful. I hated them from the instant I saw them and in game they were even worse than the movies made them out to bed.

The videos of those in action were actually the reason I didn't buy that expansion. ;-;
    Really? There's so many better reasons, like lack of support, game-breaking bugs, and women shooting guns!

I hope they don't do the same thing to DoW2.

I wouldn't worry about that.

They farmed Soulstorm out to Ironlore so they could focus on DoW II; they never anticipated that Ironlore would die so soon so they're probably in "oh shit" mode since they never anticipated funding the programmer man-hours (or hiring more) and setting aside that time for product support that Ironlore was supposed to do.

Ironlore probably also pushed it out faster and with less QC since they needed the cash sicne they were going under.

Most of Relic's best people are probably on DoW II duty. With 2 bad choices, fixing yesterdays news now and delaying DoW II or fixing it later and getting DoW II out on time, I'd go with the latter as well.

If their focus game has issues, they'll fix them.

widowson on
    -I owe nothing to Women's Lib.

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    If they're smart, they'll release tyranids in an expansion, since the promise of a new game will be enough to draw players in and make them buy it, without the addition of tyranids. Announcing tyranids for an expansion would probably guarantee them more sales later on. However, I don't think it's impossible that they have the 'nids as the bad guys in singleplayer, just like the necrons were the bad guys before they became playable.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh, son of a bitch. Could a mod edit out his comment? I saw it. Goddammit.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I asked them to, but no action... I mean I don't play MGS but yeah..

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I made a little do not click sign.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So how about those destructable environments, I hear they get destroyed when hit many times.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I hope Drop Pods can be used offensively.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    ChildrenChildren Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Basically, Ocelot is dead. Red Ocelot is the leader of the Ocelot group in MGS3, in case you didn't know.

Why is this against the rules? Do you have to spell out that it is a spoiler even if there are spoiler tags on it?

Children on
    360 tag: A Blue Mushroom
    skate, halo 3
  • Options
    BugmanBugman Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Asher wrote: »

uhh, they were in the first game?

Bugman on
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Because its the wrong fucking thread?

One would naturally assume that in a thread about DoW 2, it would be a spoiler about DoW 2, not a completely different game that people seem to be going insane over.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Bugman wrote: »

uhh, they were in the first game?

Nope. They would always land around the enemy, never on :V

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    BugmanBugman Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Really?

I thought I remembered that it would land right on units and kill them.

Oh well, nevermind, I guess

Bugman on
  • Options
    TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I thought the same thing until I tried to unload 3 dreadnoughts into a huge gathering of space marines. They all landed on the outskirts around the gatherings and got totally destroyed :|

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Children wrote: »

Why is this against the rules? Do you have to spell out that it is a spoiler even if there are spoiler tags on it?

Its against the rules because it is a spoiler that is completely random and tangential from the topic at hand and people won't expect it in this thread and will thus click, tragically.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I thought the same thing until I tried to unload 3 dreadnoughts into a huge gathering of space marines. They all landed on the outskirts around the gatherings and got totally destroyed :|

I thought it would give a knockback effect though, like to the units it landed near.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Why would you quote the spoiler?!

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'm pretty sure in the video they are. If not, they say they are so they probably are.

And no, drop pods didn't do anything to units. It would come down, making sure it didn't hit anything, then as it despawned, a unit would spawn out of it.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Man I would always load up a squad full of Plasma or some shit and drop it close to the enemy, two or three at a time, always painful.

TheGerbil on