As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[OOC] - Dark Heresy : Optimus Usurpo

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Are we supposed to make the rolls on IC? I run a real risk of having to start over. Not that I mind, I don't think it would take me long to make another character now.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Are we supposed to make the rolls on IC? I run a real risk of having to start over. Not that I mind, I don't think it would take me long to make another character now.

No, you don't have to do your character creation rolls on IC. If I didn't think I could trust a player with rolling up a character without you fudging all the stats, I wouldn't let them play in the first place.

But we will be using IC for in-game rolling.

delo, are you submitting an actual character sheet, then, or are you wanting me to fill in the stats on a sheet of my own? I don't really get why you posted all that otherwise. :P

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

No, you don't have to do your character creation rolls on IC. If I didn't think I could trust a player with rolling up a character without you fudging all the stats, I wouldn't let them play in the first place.

But we will be using IC for in-game rolling.

delo, are you submitting an actual character sheet, then, or are you wanting me to fill in the stats on a sheet of my own? I don't really get why you posted all that otherwise. :P

Just wanted to post the rolls. I put the character sheet together, but it's not quite done. I gotta come up with a basic background as well. With advances, my Adept has an intelligence of 52! :D

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    OH NO YOU HAVE A HIGHER STAT THAN ME WE MUST MAKE AN IC DUEL TO SETTLE THIS EPEEN ISSUE

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    OH NO YOU HAVE A HIGHER STAT THAN ME WE MUST MAKE AN IC DUEL TO SETTLE THIS EPEEN ISSUE

:lol:

Man, it was crazy. First I roll high on Int, and then I roll the +Int divination. It's like I was fated to play an Adept.

Of course, first session I'll probably take a lascannon blast to the face.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    delroland wrote: »

Man, it was crazy. First I roll high on Int, and then I roll the +Int divination. It's like I was fated to play an Adept.

It can be arranged, if you really want...

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

It can be arranged, if you really want...

*buys flak helmet*

delroland on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Scrivener Viswanat, forge world adept

Here's my character sheet; still working on my background.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    We can work out your character's background together via AIM sometime this weekend, if you like.

Actually, I've yet to get a background and character description from you as well, Johnny, though of course I have your sheet.

If both of you can work them out with me or on your own and get them to me, then all we'll need is a forth.

EDIT:

PS Johnny, while I've been converting your PM'd stats over to a PDF, I noticed you neglected to include a couple physical traits, so I rolled the following for you:

Description: Gaunt
    Height/Weight: 1.80m/60kg
    Skin: Greyish

More importantly, however, I believe you've misunderstood how Psy Ratings work. Taking the advance to get Psy Rating 2 means you will be able to roll two dice instead of one when seeing if you pass a power's PT successfully. It does not grant you additional minor psychic powers - you have to buy those with your experience points separately.

Choose two minor powers that your character will start with, and if you want to re-consider how you distributed your experience in order to purchase more powers, feel free to do so and let me know the changes.

Right now I have your experience expenditures as:
    Living Nightmare 300 xp
    Willpower advance (Simple) 100 xp
    Psy Rating 2 200 xp
    Awareness 100 xp

and 100 xp unspent

EDIT: You've also neglected to include your monthly wages. I've tallied up the items you've purchased and have divided it by the number of months back wages you should have to determine what you should be earning.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    My character needs to buy some books, I forgot about needing books. A book of catechisms, a big book of scriptural accounts of the Calixis founding crusades, a *really* big book of prayers that might be fancy and pricey enough to serve as a valid willpower bonus when read, and maybe some little book listing shrines or saints or somesuch.
    Taking the advance to get Psy Rating 2 means you will be able to roll two dice instead of one when seeing if you pass a power's PT successfully. It does not grant you additional minor psychic powers - you have to buy those with your experience points separately.

Actually yes it does. "Select a number of Minor Psychic Powers equal to half your Willpower Bonus, rounded up" (it says just equal to, but that's a misprint) means your character is granted new powers simply by buying the trait. This is separate from the Minor Psychic Power advance in each rank, which allows the psyker to buy even more powers than what's simply gained from PSY rating advances.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Still, when purchasing Psy Rank 2, he selected twice as many minor powers as rank 1, when he should just get as many as half his WP bonus again, right?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Correct. Every rank provides an additional 1/2 WP bonus powers, PSY 2 is a typo.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Still, when purchasing Psy Rank 2, he selected twice as many minor powers as rank 1, when he should just get as many as half his WP bonus again, right?
    Utsanomiko wrote: »
    Correct. Every rank provides an additional 1/2 WP bonus powers, PSY 2 is a typo.

I have a first run BL copy of the book that apparently lists it wrong.

Apparently this has been erratta'd w/o my knowledge.

I would simply drop the powers "chameleon" and "resist possession" for now.

Utsanomiko, if I end up a demonhost on the first adventure, I'm coming after you :P

DP: I spent all my money, I didn't neglect to include it. (unless I figured my wages wrong)

The advance you show as open should have been spent on "Deceive" which seems like a nice skill.

I had an age of 27 and skin of "Porcelain" which, unless it's intended to refer to a horrible mutation and be literal, is just pretty much a nice way of saying greyish. I like being younger, though.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    DP: I spent all my money, I didn't neglect to include it. (unless I figured my wages wrong)

I know you spent it all, but you still have to tell me how much you make in a month. :P

The advance you show as open should have been spent on "Deceive" which seems like a nice skill.

I had an age of 27 and skin of "Porcelain" which, unless it's intended to refer to a horrible mutation and be literal, is just pretty much a nice way of saying greyish. I like being younger, though.

Noted and noted. That's how you'll be, then.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    OH ok

77 gelt. +/- gambling winnings.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

Utsanomiko, if I end up a demonhost on the first adventure, I'm coming after you :P

Well then the most prudent course of action is to preemptively destroy you, now wouldn't it? :P

FFGames' Errata page. The other big error is the book's map is wrong, especially in the Malfian & Drussus Marches subsectors. How some people can expect the Imperium to keep track of its knowledge when we can't even mitigate and correct two pages worth of typos in a year-old game, I'll never know, but there's your real-life examples.

Porcelain would be describing the whitest person you know, so it'd actually just be some really light tan/cream complexion that human skin has at least some tone of.

Also, with 4 months of 77 gold, plus 51-55 starting cash, you'd have spent about 360, hints of gambling being irrelevant.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I thought we got four months' pay instead of starting cash.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I assumed starting cash was considered a given perk of one's profession, and the note about wages concerned the additional money characters get when starting at a rank higher than one. DP specifically consulted me about how much Johnny would have started with if we added his Rank 2 wages to the Psyker starting money.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    and a little change from things I sold back. And technically, I have a "common" cyber-system I could sell but I'm a little attached to it right now.

(drumroll?)

also, they missed a typo - in the armor table on 145, the stats for a flak cloak and a flak vest have obviously been jumbled - the cloak has the coverage areas and price the jacket should have. The cloak should clearly have the same coverage areas as the light cloak, at a higher cost.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    If we do get starting cash, just add Photo-Visors to my equipment and (1d10=) one Throne.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    and a little change from things I sold back. And technically, I have a "common" cyber-system I could sell but I'm a little attached to it right now.

(drumroll?)

also, they missed a typo - in the armor table on 145, the stats for a flak cloak and a flak vest have obviously been jumbled - the cloak has the coverage areas and price the jacket should have. The cloak should clearly have the same coverage areas as the light cloak, at a higher cost.

Jacket is probably supposed to be Arms/Body, and cloak Arms/Body/Legs. Also by cloak I think they more mean trenchcoat a la your Friendly Neighborhood Commisar.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Well, I went ahead and bought the cloak for 100, assuming it granted 3pts protection to the body, legs, and arms and weighed 8 kilos. Not that I care about the weight. I'm wiry.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    You should care about weight, actually. You can only carry as much as the sum of your Strength and Toughness Bonuses allow without incurring penalties. There's a chart on page 215 in the core book.

Of course, it'd take a rather weak character, or rather odd purchases, to overburden your character from the very get-go of a game.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    The armor list has so many holes and pricing quirks I would have preferred they used a generalized chart of AP values and appropriate weights/prices, with a straight list of examples. It's one of those things where the GM has to brew their own list when coming up with fresh loot during play, I suppose.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Utsanomiko wrote: »

You actually selected five powers, so you will need to choose another one that you won't take.

However, once you've got that figured out, it seems that everything will be in order for your character sheet.

And with that settled, we'll have three players ready to go. Which brings me to this question for you all: Should we wait until we have a forth player, or should we proceed with the three of you? And if we are going to play with just you three, what days are available to you for play sessions?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    The willpower bonus is rounded up. At the time of purchase of psy level two, my wp bonus was 5, 2.5 =3

I'm availble most evenings after about seven.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Indeed it was.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

And with that settled, we'll have three players ready to go. Which brings me to this question for you all: Should we wait until we have a forth player, or should we proceed with the three of you? And if we are going to play with just you three, what days are available to you for play sessions?

Three works fine so long as they're all vocal and take initiative; if one isn't and the other two end up being like-minded they'll do all the planning themselves and merely drag the 3rd along. Four tends to split up the decision-making a bit better.

I can be made available for just about any night of the week, Fridays being the candidate for 'most likely to be out'.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I would prefer to wait, as I will be out of town for the 4th anyways. After that, I am always available Mondays and Tuesdays, and sometimes Sundays and Wednesdays as well, depending on my work schedule for any given week.

---

Viswanat was born on Opus Macharius in the Drusus Marshes. As are all children in service to the Omnissaiah, Viswanat was constantly tested and scrutinized. Displaying a high level of intelligence and an ability to quickly understand and codify information, he was quickly trained as a Scribe for the Administratum and assigned to one of the Tech-Priest Magi of Opus Macharius.

Serving his master dutifully, it would be several years before Viswanat would make a name for himself. At the time, his Magos was performing several high-energy experiments, trying to reconstruct the corrupted portions of an ancient STC for more efficent plasma weaponry. During these experiments, several Adepts and lower-ranked Tech-Priests would be on hand to record data and assist the Magos. On one such occasion, a prototype plasma core began to overload mid-experiment. With the radiation levels rising rapidly to dangerous levels, the Magos instructed his staff to evacuate. Viswanat refused his master's order, knowing it to be crucial to record the events of the failed experiment to aid with future research. The Magos frantically worked to contain the core, knowing that if it went critical, the resulting explosion could decimate the surrounding area. Viswanat stood near his master and dutifully recorded the entire event, though just as containment was achieved, a last vengeful jet of plasma lashed out from the core, instantly incinerating the Magos' torso and melting most of Viswanat's lower face. Fortunately, the Omnissaiah decided it was not yet the Archivist's time, and the chiurgeons were able to bring Viswanat from the brink of death, though it was necessary to replace much of his face and neck with bionics.

Such dedication to duty even in the face of mortal danger had not gone unnoticed, and Viswanat was rewarded with a promotion for his actions. Also, the Inquisition began to take notice of the young Scrivener, and, yet unbeknownst to Viswanat, his life would never be the same.

---

Viswanat stands at 1.75m and a wiry 65kg. He has a dark olive complexion, with black hair and grey eyes (similar in appearance to someone from Old Terra India). Clad in the traditional robes of the Administratum, he carries many of the tools of the trade, most notably a well-used auto-quill. His apperance might be considered pleasing to the eye, if it weren't for the metallic plates dominating much of the left side of his face and neck. Scar tissue encircles the plate, the result from both the original burns and the medical procedure performed to attach the underlying bionics.

delroland on
  • Options
    laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I'll try to get a character in as soon as I get through the book.

I'm thinking either a Tech Priest or trying to improvise a Rogue Trader wannabe, probably Scum. He'll probably be a total asshole either way.

laughingfuzzball on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Void Born Scum is probably the closest to Rogue Trader wannabe. Hell, Void Born can start as crew on a Rogue Trader vessel. Page 36 of the Inquisitor's Handbook also has a cool background specifically for Void Born Scum.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Playing a scum character would probably be more fun than a tech priest. Especially if your character butts heads with the other PCs. :lol:

Once you get your character info all polished up, we just have to decide what days of the week we are going to play, and when to start the game.

Make sure to post when you're available to play, or if you have any other miscellaneous questions about rules or the game.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Rules question: is the Intelligence bonus only used with the Medicae skill? I can't find any other use for it elsewhere in the book.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Rules question: is the Intelligence bonus only used with the Medicae skill? I can't find any other use for it elsewhere in the book.

The bonus? I don't know if other skills utilize the bonus explicitly, but all skills that depend on it will benefit from having higher intelligence. Since the Int bonus is the same as the 10s digit of your Intelligence stat, they are intrinsically linked.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

The bonus? I don't know if other skills utilize the bonus explicitly, but all skills that depend on it will benefit from having higher intelligence. Since the Int bonus is the same as the 10s digit of your Intelligence stat, they are intrinsically linked.

Yeah, I understand that. I was just looking at the extremely high advances, and one was Unnatural Intelligence, which doubles the Int bonus but not actually the score, and it just seemed to me to be kind of a waste except for the Medicae skill.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I see.

Well, you have plenty of time to worry about that before your character ever gets up there. :P

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Well, you have plenty of time to die a horrifying death before your character ever gets up there. :P

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Oh, come now, Utsanomiko.

He could just as easily be one of a hundred victims of ganger violence every month.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    No way, I'm invincible! I can parry lascannon blasts with my towering intellect! And my face!

delroland on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Yeah, I understand that. I was just looking at the extremely high advances, and one was Unnatural Intelligence, which doubles the Int bonus but not actually the score, and it just seemed to me to be kind of a waste except for the Medicae skill.

Survival uses int

A feral worlder with Unnatural Int would be, like, the best provider ever.

JohnnyCache on