Options

[BALANCE ON] Team Fortress 2: Pyro Nerf Applied

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    a tip: if you see musan, marty, tyrannus, icy, panax, or any other soldier run into the fray, follow them if you want to engage in a run that will surely kill you!

mandalore always told me it was good fun :( MANDALORE SWEETY I NEED YOUR LOVE

tyrannus on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    How come nobody is making suggestions about the heavy unlocks? I'm so excited I couldn't stop thinking about it, then I could, but in that interim I wrote some stuff:

An unlockable minigun that heals you when it's spun up but not firing. It costs 1 ammo to heal you 1 point and you cannot move while the gun is spinning up (but you can while it is firing). It will not overheal you. This gun lets a heavy dispense with the medic, but in order to heal he has to have a constant source of ammunition, a place to be immobile, and a lot of time (it should heal slower than a dispenser). Maybe it only holds 150 bullets.
    How much work is it? How many new models, sounds, effects, etc?
    One new model (maybe the minigun is hooked up to a little miniature medic backpack), no new sounds, maybe one new effect.
    Does it deepen the Heavy's skill curve? Is it easy to learn? Hard to master?
    "Hold down right click to heal" is pretty simple, but if you just go around healing yourself you'll run out of ammo really fast and spend most of your time out of the fight, slowly patching your wounds. It also makes fights more interesting, because you can't run around with your gun spun up unless you're willing to heal up (or if you're at full health). You can only move if you're firing or not spun up at all. Now there's even more of a choice between spinning up and not.
    Is it an interesting tool to choose relative to the base Heavy weapon it's replacing? What scenarios can you envision in which each is useful? What arguments can you raise for why each is better than the other?
    I like this idea because it's not just "a gun for a heavy without a medic." Both guns are useful in both cases. The original minigun is better if you don't anticipate having much ammo around, because whether or not you have a medic, the healing minigun will suck up extra ammo when you're hurt. The original minigun can also be good if you don't have a medic because when there's no medic, it's important to be mobile, and removing the ability to move while spun up makes you less mobile.

The new minigun is better if there's plenty of ammo nearby and you don't have to get around much, like on defense. Whether or not you have a medic, it's a good idea to be able to heal that much faster. It's also good if you're very skilled and you're able to get around neutral/enemy territory without being instantly attacked, because if you're able to get away, you have a chance to heal up.
    How often does the Heavy need to think about it? Is it something he uses once every 5 minutes, or is it something he needs to be constantly thinking about? A greater impact on player decision making is generally a good thing.
    You get to think about it constantly because the decision about whether to spin up the gun or not has even more weight. Or at least it has a different weight.
    How many other features of the game does it affect? Often, the best ideas are "economical", with a small set of required actions, but a wide set of resulting effects.
    Dispensers near the front lines are much more important, because now the ammo + health they give is enough to get a heavy back into the fight even without a medic. So this encourages engineers to place the dispenser for the whole team, not for a source of metal in the back lines. It forces players to think about whether they want to hunt down a heavy and stop him from healing, or focus on the other enemies around and have to deal with a newly-healed heavy showing up again and again. It makes people think twice about getting too close to an enemy heavy, because if they die they'll give him ammo to continue his assault. And it frees medics from having to babysit a medic who is retreating anyways. Right now, if a heavy is really hurt and running away, a medic has to think about healing him because losing your heavy is a big problem. With this gun, the heavy could retreat and patch himself up, so the medic can stay in the front lines and worry about his heavy once he shows up.

Now for the tactical considerations:
    Being in the right place before he starts firing, because he has little ability to move while firing.
    Even less ability to move while firing, plus he has to think about an ammo source if he's going to take damage.
    Good anticipation of enemy behavior, for both the above point and because his minigun needs to be spun up before firing.
    Is the enemy going to chase me? If they are, should I make my last stand and try to kill them, or find a place to hide and heal up? Are enemies going to die here and leave me ammo, or am I going to be high and dry?
    The ability to estimate the amount of damage he's taking. It takes time for the minigun to spin down, so he needs to be able to know when it's time to retreat several seconds before his health has run out.
    Even more important, because the more damage you take, the more ammo your gun is going to leech over time. If you take too much damage you might find yourself out of bullets that much faster.
    The ability to keep firing at a target while still keeping an eye out for other dangers, in particular Snipers & Spies.
    No difference.

Shotgun unlock:

Some sort of blunderbuss-like thing. Primary fire would shoot a blast that works a lot like the shotgun or the scout's scattergun. It would have a very short effective range. Also, it would push people back a bit, like when they're hit with crits or a sentry gun. Secondary fire would charge up the blunderbuss. The longer you hold it, the more it starts to shake. When you release it, it explodes with a big boom, pushing you back a bit, pushing your targets forward depending on how long it's been held down, making a big explosion, and doing some damage. The idea is that the damage and more important the effective arc of fire would get bigger as you hold it down. You would see the charge build up like an ubercharge or something, but it only takes 5 seconds to fully charge. When charging you move slowly, but not as slowly as when the minigun is spun up. Otherwise you move just as fast as when you have the shotgun. It only carries 5 or 10 shots. A critical hit should set people on fire just for fun. But it will never crit on a non-charged shot.
    A new model, new sounds, a new effect for the explosion. It would be cool if the heavy would go "BOOM! HAHA" and other stuff like that when he releases a fully charged shot.
    At first you can use it like a cross between the shotgun/scattergun (less damage than the scout gun and less accurate than the shotgun, but more accurate than the scattergun and more damage than the shotgun), with a charge up whenever you see lots of enemies, but when to charge up, how much to charge, how large an area of effect each charge has, when to use it instead of the minigun, etc.
    Is it an interesting tool to choose relative to the base Heavy weapon it's replacing? What scenarios can you envision in which each is useful? What arguments can you raise for why each is better than the other?
    The shotgun is still better for long range engagements, which is something you REALLY need to think about as a heavy because that's your big weakness: at long range people can run away from the minigun so the shotgun is your only option. Also, the shotgun will reload faster, and since the blunderbuss never crits unless you charge it up, the shotgun is better for chasing someone because the lucky crit/extra range makes it a better chasing weapon.

The blunderbuss is better for fighting large masses of enemies, for doing more damage, or for managing a battle, since you can push your targets around a bit. If your minigun is out of ammo or you just want to be more mobile, the blunderbuss lets you run around more, and only restricts you when you charge up, and even then it's less of a restriction. The minigun is in some ways a good crowd control weapon, but the blunderbuss lets you hit many people at once. Also it would be cool to let off a fully charge blunderbuss shot to weaken people, then pull out the minigun for the mass murder.
    How often does the Heavy need to think about it? Is it something he uses once every 5 minutes, or is it something he needs to be constantly thinking about? A greater impact on player decision making is generally a good thing.
    Should I use the blunderbuss? Should I use the minigun? Maybe I should swap to the shotgun to annoy snipers. Etc. Unlike the shotgun, which is used where the minigun isn't, the blunderbuss would be an either/or thing with your primary weapon, like the flamer/axestinguisher for the pyro.
    How many other features of the game does it affect? Often, the best ideas are "economical", with a small set of required actions, but a wide set of resulting effects.
    People now have to be afraid of bunching up even if there aren't any demomen/soldiers around. The blunderbuss at full charge can push an uber away from his medic, or vice versa, which is good because right now the heavy is 100% screwed if an uber shows up. He can't do jack. Don't even say run away because that never works. His only hope is to have lots of teammates around to get murdered instead of him.

Being in the right place before he starts firing, because he has little ability to move while firing.
    You can't just go around shooting off your blunderbuss. It's best when it hits multiple people and when it's charged up. Do you wait for a scout to show up before you let off the shot, or do you shoot the 3 people in front of you?
    Good anticipation of enemy behavior, for both the above point and because his minigun needs to be spun up before firing.
    Of course you have to anticipate whether people are going to disperse or just crowd in closer for more damage.
    The ability to estimate the amount of damage he's taking. It takes time for the minigun to spin down, so he needs to be able to know when it's time to retreat several seconds before his health has run out.
    Meh.
    The ability to keep firing at a target while still keeping an eye out for other dangers, in particular Snipers & Spies.
    Now that he doesn't have a shotgun he has to worry even MORE about snipers. And this is a nice anti-spy tool since it's area of effect.

Melee weapon:

I'll have to think about this one. I never use the fists.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    savooipeerdsavooipeerd Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    cryohazard wrote: »
    Kreutz wrote: »

Man what the hell red has an advantage on Goldrush.

Is it me, or does the shovel have slightly more game distance than any other melee? and wtf is up with the fireaxe distance?

It's the average distance it hits from when used, so there can be variations in those stats even though the range is technically the same. And there are some bugs in the tracking anyway, like the fireaxe distance; until a couple a weeks ago, the spy's knife actually did negative damage according to the stats.

But anyway, game time is now!

savooipeerd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    BEHOLD MY TEXT TOWER AND DESPAIR, BABIES.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    How come nobody is making suggestions about the heavy unlocks? I'm so excited I couldn't stop thinking about it, then I could, but in that interim I wrote some stuff:

An unlockable minigun that heals you when it's spun up but not firing. It costs 1 ammo to heal you 1 point and you cannot move while the gun is spinning up (but you can while it is firing). It will not overheal you. This gun lets a heavy dispense with the medic, but in order to heal he has to have a constant source of ammunition, a place to be immobile, and a lot of time (it should heal slower than a dispenser). Maybe it only holds 150 bullets.
    One new model (maybe the minigun is hooked up to a little miniature medic backpack), no new sounds, maybe one new effect.
    "Hold down right click to heal" is pretty simple, but if you just go around healing yourself you'll run out of ammo really fast and spend most of your time out of the fight, slowly patching your wounds. It also makes fights more interesting, because you can't run around with your gun spun up unless you're willing to heal up (or if you're at full health). You can only move if you're firing or not spun up at all. Now there's even more of a choice between spinning up and not.
    I like this idea because it's not just "a gun for a heavy without a medic." Both guns are useful in both cases. The original minigun is better if you don't anticipate having much ammo around, because whether or not you have a medic, the healing minigun will suck up extra ammo when you're hurt. The original minigun can also be good if you don't have a medic because when there's no medic, it's important to be mobile, and removing the ability to move while spun up makes you less mobile.

The new minigun is better if there's plenty of ammo nearby and you don't have to get around much, like on defense. Whether or not you have a medic, it's a good idea to be able to heal that much faster. It's also good if you're very skilled and you're able to get around neutral/enemy territory without being instantly attacked, because if you're able to get away, you have a chance to heal up.
    You get to think about it constantly because the decision about whether to spin up the gun or not has even more weight. Or at least it has a different weight.
    Dispensers near the front lines are much more important, because now the ammo + health they give is enough to get a heavy back into the fight even without a medic. So this encourages engineers to place the dispenser for the whole team, not for a source of metal in the back lines. It forces players to think about whether they want to hunt down a heavy and stop him from healing, or focus on the other enemies around and have to deal with a newly-healed heavy showing up again and again. It makes people think twice about getting too close to an enemy heavy, because if they die they'll give him ammo to continue his assault. And it frees medics from having to babysit a medic who is retreating anyways. Right now, if a heavy is really hurt and running away, a medic has to think about healing him because losing your heavy is a big problem. With this gun, the heavy could retreat and patch himself up, so the medic can stay in the front lines and worry about his heavy once he shows up.

Even less ability to move while firing, plus he has to think about an ammo source if he's going to take damage.
    Is the enemy going to chase me? If they are, should I make my last stand and try to kill them, or find a place to hide and heal up? Are enemies going to die here and leave me ammo, or am I going to be high and dry?
    Even more important, because the more damage you take, the more ammo your gun is going to leech over time. If you take too much damage you might find yourself out of bullets that much faster.
    No difference.

Shotgun unlock:

Some sort of blunderbuss-like thing. Primary fire would shoot a blast that works a lot like the shotgun or the scout's scattergun. It would have a very short effective range. Also, it would push people back a bit, like when they're hit with crits or a sentry gun. Secondary fire would charge up the blunderbuss. The longer you hold it, the more it starts to shake. When you release it, it explodes with a big boom, pushing you back a bit, pushing your targets forward depending on how long it's been held down, making a big explosion, and doing some damage. The idea is that the damage and more important the effective arc of fire would get bigger as you hold it down. You would see the charge build up like an ubercharge or something, but it only takes 5 seconds to fully charge. When charging you move slowly, but not as slowly as when the minigun is spun up. Otherwise you move just as fast as when you have the shotgun. It only carries 5 or 10 shots. A critical hit should set people on fire just for fun. But it will never crit on a non-charged shot.
    A new model, new sounds, a new effect for the explosion. It would be cool if the heavy would go "BOOM! HAHA" and other stuff like that when he releases a fully charged shot.
    At first you can use it like a cross between the shotgun/scattergun (less damage than the scout gun and less accurate than the shotgun, but more accurate than the scattergun and more damage than the shotgun), with a charge up whenever you see lots of enemies, but when to charge up, how much to charge, how large an area of effect each charge has, when to use it instead of the minigun, etc.
    The shotgun is still better for long range engagements, which is something you REALLY need to think about as a heavy because that's your big weakness: at long range people can run away from the minigun so the shotgun is your only option. Also, the shotgun will reload faster, and since the blunderbuss never crits unless you charge it up, the shotgun is better for chasing someone because the lucky crit/extra range makes it a better chasing weapon.

The blunderbuss is better for fighting large masses of enemies, for doing more damage, or for managing a battle, since you can push your targets around a bit. If your minigun is out of ammo or you just want to be more mobile, the blunderbuss lets you run around more, and only restricts you when you charge up, and even then it's less of a restriction. The minigun is in some ways a good crowd control weapon, but the blunderbuss lets you hit many people at once. Also it would be cool to let off a fully charge blunderbuss shot to weaken people, then pull out the minigun for the mass murder.
    Should I use the blunderbuss? Should I use the minigun? Maybe I should swap to the shotgun to annoy snipers. Etc. Unlike the shotgun, which is used where the minigun isn't, the blunderbuss would be an either/or thing with your primary weapon, like the flamer/axestinguisher for the pyro.
    People now have to be afraid of bunching up even if there aren't any demomen/soldiers around. The blunderbuss at full charge can push an uber away from his medic, or vice versa, which is good because right now the heavy is 100% screwed if an uber shows up. He can't do jack. Don't even say run away because that never works. His only hope is to have lots of teammates around to get murdered instead of him.

You can't just go around shooting off your blunderbuss. It's best when it hits multiple people and when it's charged up. Do you wait for a scout to show up before you let off the shot, or do you shoot the 3 people in front of you?
    Of course you have to anticipate whether people are going to disperse or just crowd in closer for more damage.
    Meh.
    Now that he doesn't have a shotgun he has to worry even MORE about snipers. And this is a nice anti-spy tool since it's area of effect.

Melee weapon:

tl;dr

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Fine here's something short you pathetic ADHD riddled adrenaline junkies

http://kotaku.com/5021334/the-shocking-coffee+drinking-habits-of-valve-exposed

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Hey YouHey You Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Well loddy-freakin'-dah! We got ourselves a writer here! Hey, Dad, I can't see too good is that Bill Shakespeare over there?

Hey You on
  • Options
    theantipoptheantipop Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Rentilius wrote: »
    a tip: if you see musan, marty, tyrannus, icy, panax, or any other soldier run into the fray, follow them if you want to engage in a run that will surely kill you!

Oh my, you've got my heart racing! Is Mandy still not back?

theantipop on
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

No difference.

Shotgun unlock:

Meh.

Melee weapon:

holy shit

Fuga on
  • Options
    Hey YouHey You Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

:( MANDALORE SWEETY I NEED YOUR LOVE (inside me)

Oh come on TY thats nasty....
    see what I did, its funny because it sounds gay... :lol:

Hey You on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    I like how I get all the flak for one long post when you chatmonkies fill this thing with 99 goddamn pages in the time it takes me to take a dump.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I like how I get all the flak for one long post when you chatmonkies fill this thing with 99 goddamn pages in the time it takes me to take a dump.

<3

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Also I just realized I misspelled "monkeys" so there's that.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I say the Heavy Just has to running around with the new gun equipped for it to heal him. The startup spin time would be longer, because to heal himself while running with the gun, he has to hug sasha v.2...

The gun would also allow him to be overhealed.

but

Because of the back pack attachment, you can have very little peripheral vision...
    :twisted::twisted::twisted:

Sueve on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I read your post and your ideas were terrible.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM8?=================+8MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM?~==========================+MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM+=================================+MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM8=======================================?MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM?===========================================IMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMZ================================================MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMN===================================================8MMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    MMMMMMMMMMMM=======================================================MMMMMMMMMMMMM
    MMMMMMMMMMM=========================================================MMMMMMMMMMMM
    MMMMMMMMMM===7MMMMMMZ===========================OMMMMMMN~============ZMMMMMMMMMM
    MMMMMMMMM==MMMMMMMMMMMM~=====================IMMMMMMMMMMMMD===========8MMMMMMMMM
    MMMMMMMM==MMN......MMMMMM==================~MMM....... MMMMMZ==========NMMMMMMMM
    MMMMMMM==MM?......MMMMMMMM================ZMM?........MMMMMMMD==========MMMMMMMM
    MMMMMM==MM8...... MMMMMMMMM==============$MM.........:MMMMMMMMD==========MMMMMMM
    MMMMMZ=IMM .......MMMMMMMMM==============MM:......... MMMMMMMMM~=========?MMMMMM
    MMMMM==MMN.........NMMMMZ7MM============OMM .......... MMMMM,8MM==========MMMMMM
    MMMMZ==MM,................MM============MM,...................MM==========~MMMMM
    MMMM===MM................ MM============MM................... MM===========MMMMM
    MMMM===MM:................MM============MM ...................MM===========OMMMM
    MMM+===MMM...............:MM============NM8 .................=MM============MMMM
    MMM====+MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM8============+MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMD============MMMM
    MMM======++++++++++++++++++==============++++++++++++++++++++++=============MMMM
    MMM=========================================================================MMMM
    MMM=========================================================================MMMM
    MMM======+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++==============MMMM
    MMM+=====ZMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMZ=============MMMM
    MMMM========MMNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMM============OMMMM
    MMMM========MMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMM============MMMMM
    MMMMZ=======?MMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMD==========~MMMMM
    MMMMM========MM8OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMN==========MMMMMM
    MMMMMZ=======+MMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMD=========?MMMMMM
    MMMMMM========MMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMM==========MMMMMMM
    MMMMMMM========MMDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO8MM=========MMMMMMMM
    MMMMMMMM========MM8OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMM?========NMMMMMMMM
    MMMMMMMMM=======+MM8OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO$:,::::::,,$OOOOOOOOOMMN========8MMMMMMMMM
    MMMMMMMMMM=======7MM8OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO,:::::::::::::::OOOOOOMMM=======~ZMMMMMMMMMM
    MMMMMMMMMMM========MMMOOOOOOOOOOOO~::::::::::::::::::~OO8MMM========MMMMMMMMMMMM
    MMMMMMMMMMMM========MMMOOOOOOOOOZ::::::::::::::::::::,$MMM=========MMMMMMMMMMMMM
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMM=======8MMMOOOOOOO::::::::::::::::::::7MMMN========OMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMZ=======MMMMZOOO~::::::::::::::::,:NMMMN=========MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM?=======DMMMMD,::::::::::::::$MMMMM+=======~IMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMD========NMMMMMMN8ZZONMMMMMMMM?=========IMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM+=========$NMMMMMMMMMDI===========+MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM?~==========================+MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM8+=================+OMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    MusanMusan Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Meh, long posts merit a requirement of time to read it. If it doesn't seem like it is worth it, I'll just skip.

BTW, just fixed the comp. Problem was just a dead CMOS battery apparently. Though, I'll just keep the new psu in there since it has neat cables and such.

Musan on
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Reading this Heavy article, there's something I never found the answer: In all promotional shots and videos, the Heavy's minigun has a cel-shaded muzzle flash, while in-game we have a more traditional smooth particle flash, does anyone know why??

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Airan wrote: »
    Reading this Heavy article, there's something I never found the answer: In all promotional shots and videos, the Heavy's minigun has a cel-shaded muzzle flash, while in-game we have a more traditional smooth particle flash, does anyone know why??

Because the first looks nicer in screenshots and videos and the second is actually doable ingame?

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    What do you mean do-able, if they can do it on videos surely it's possible in-game? Or is it simply post processing?

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2008

20050912h.jpg

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    ChildrenChildren Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Rami wrote: »
    I read your post and your ideas were terrible.

Yeah, that weapon would really suck.

Children on
    360 tag: A Blue Mushroom
    skate, halo 3
  • Options
    Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

HAHAHA! Awesome.

Your post was too long for me to read, however, glancing at it... I really don't think they'll give the Heavies any kind of self-heal.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • Options
    edited July 2008

bullshot

Bah, post-processing :x

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It would be nice if the mini-gun replacement went in a different direction. So far, in the two updates the new mainweapon is just the old weapon with a plus and a minus (ie. backburner is the flamethrower plus crits from behind, plus 50 health, minus compression blast). The only exception to this is the flare gun instead of the shotgun for the pyro.

It would be interesting if they gave the HWG a totally different weapon than the minigun. Something like one of those high calibur guns that are usually mounted to APCs. They could be very high damage, high accuracy, no spin up time, but fire much slower, and overheat after 10 seconds of firing. This gives them more viability at range, but stops them from laying down massive destruction to anything and everything in the short-medium range area like they can with the mini.

Another option would be something like a charge up railgun type weapon, it fires an explosive round which has a greater damage/radius the longer it's charged up. Again, this gives them more range than they have now, but at the sacrifice of not being as good in your face.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

bullshot

Bah, post-processing :x

Actually, no, that cartoony muzzleflash actually exists in-game. You can find it in the object viewer when you load TF2 into the SDK.

IIRC, Valve decided to change the style a bit mid stream, moving from an overtly cartoony look to just a more stylized appearance. Can't remember where I read it though :rotate:

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    Mandalorian RoosterMandalorian Rooster Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

No, thats just you and your antics. Like the time I was healing you and my brother rocket jumps from wtfnowhere and crits me in the face... and you congratulate him. And yes, I was the one who taught him to rocket jump that well, after learning how to rocket jump from you. However, every moment leading up to my karmicly hilarious death was good fun.

[tiny]Jerk.[/tiny]

Mandalorian Rooster on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    CarbonFire:
    Ah, I see. I personally would've like the choice to switch between flashes, since I see it in the promo screens and it was a bit of a "huh??" moment when I saw the particle flash. I thought it was my aging 7300GT on low-mid settings but changing everything to high made no difference.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    KingMooKingMoo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    how about a mini-mini-gun. it will be hilariously tiny, it will let you run at full speed but does less damage.

do not forget how hilarious looking it will be!

EDIT: almost forgot to add a replacement for the shotty... how about a large fart that has knockback powers so if a spy or pyro is behind you then they shall be sent flying. and it goes without saying that if the pyro sets the fart on fire then it shall be a firey blast of bonus damage.

KingMoo on
    ![▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓]!
    !!!!▓▓▓▓▓Gravy?▓▓▓▓▓!!!!!!
    !!!!!!▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓!!!!!!!!!
    of doom
  • Options
    FirebrandFirebrand Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM8?=================+8MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM+=================================+MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM8=======================================?MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM?===========================================IMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMZ================================================MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMN===================================================8MMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    MMMMMMMMMMMM=======================================================MMMMMMMMMMMMM
    MMMMMMMMMMM=========================================================MMMMMMMMMMMM
    MMMMMMMMMM===7MMMMMMZ===========================OMMMMMMN~============ZMMMMMMMMMM
    MMMMMMMMM==MMMMMMMMMMMM~=====================IMMMMMMMMMMMMD===========8MMMMMMMMM
    MMMMMMMM==MMN......MMMMMM==================~MMM....... MMMMMZ==========NMMMMMMMM
    MMMMMMM==MM?......MMMMMMMM================ZMM?........MMMMMMMD==========MMMMMMMM
    MMMMMM==MM8...... MMMMMMMMM==============$MM.........:MMMMMMMMD==========MMMMMMM
    MMMMMZ=IMM .......MMMMMMMMM==============MM:......... MMMMMMMMM~=========?MMMMMM
    MMMMM==MMN.........NMMMMZ7MM============OMM .......... MMMMM,8MM==========MMMMMM
    MMMMZ==MM,................MM============MM,...................MM==========~MMMMM
    MMMM===MM................ MM============MM................... MM===========MMMMM
    MMMM===MM:................MM============MM ...................MM===========OMMMM
    MMM+===MMM...............:MM============NM8 .................=MM============MMMM
    MMM====+MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM8============+MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMD============MMMM
    MMM======++++++++++++++++++==============++++++++++++++++++++++=============MMMM
    MMM======+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++==============MMMM
    MMM+=====ZMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMZ=============MMMM
    MMMM========MMNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMM============OMMMM
    MMMM========MMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMM============MMMMM
    MMMMZ=======?MMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMD==========~MMMMM
    MMMMM========MM8OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMN==========MMMMMM
    MMMMMZ=======+MMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMD=========?MMMMMM
    MMMMMM========MMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMM==========MMMMMMM
    MMMMMMM========MMDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO8MM=========MMMMMMMM
    MMMMMMMM========MM8OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMM?========NMMMMMMMM
    MMMMMMMMM=======+MM8OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO$:,::::::,,$OOOOOOOOOMMN========8MMMMMMMMM
    MMMMMMMMMM=======7MM8OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO,:::::::::::::::OOOOOOMMM=======~ZMMMMMMMMMM
    MMMMMMMMMMM========MMMOOOOOOOOOOOO~::::::::::::::::::~OO8MMM========MMMMMMMMMMMM
    MMMMMMMMMMMM========MMMOOOOOOOOOZ::::::::::::::::::::,$MMM=========MMMMMMMMMMMMM
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMM=======8MMMOOOOOOO::::::::::::::::::::7MMMN========OMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMZ=======MMMMZOOO~::::::::::::::::,:NMMMN=========MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM?=======DMMMMD,::::::::::::::$MMMMM+=======~IMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMD========NMMMMMMN8ZZONMMMMMMMM?=========IMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM+=========$NMMMMMMMMMDI===========+MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM8+=================+OMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

lokiamismk2.jpg

Firebrand on
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Heavy needs a potato gun.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    That Heavy Effect was thought to not fit with the rest of the style of the game, so they took it out. (Useless Trivia)...

and

Can someone that isn't an illegal make a TF2 Screenshot 56k Thread? I just looked through the archives, and all I can find are terrible WoW screenie threads, and they suck. It would be so rad, just post your best pictures, and we can all marvel at them!

Sueve on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2008
    It would be nice if the mini-gun replacement went in a different direction. So far, in the two updates the new mainweapon is just the old weapon with a plus and a minus (ie. backburner is the flamethrower plus crits from behind, plus 50 health, minus compression blast). The only exception to this is the flare gun instead of the shotgun for the pyro.
    This is because totally new weapons could make for an entirely new class when equipped with them. The goal isn't to make the classes play radically different than before.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    theantipoptheantipop Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Engineer needs a potato gun.

Come on, spud guns are clearly the domain of the tinkering engineer. Our Mech E dept held yearly contests for them.

theantipop on
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Engineer is credit to team

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    It would be interesting if they gave the HWG a totally different weapon than the minigun. Something like one of those high calibur guns that are usually mounted to APCs. They could be very high damage, high accuracy, no spin up time, but fire much slower, and overheat after 10 seconds of firing. This gives them more viability at range, but stops them from laying down massive destruction to anything and everything in the short-medium range area like they can with the mini.

So like the autocannon from MegaTF? The one that let Heavies fly faster than Air Scouts? :P

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    delroland wrote: »

So like the autocannon from MegaTF? The one that let Heavies fly faster than Air Scouts? :P

Haha, I don't think I played that one, but sure.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    MegaTF was the shiznit.

Edit: the autocannon, instead of spraying bullet death, would fire 20 bullets at a time in a tight cluster, but it had massive recoil and would throw the heavy backwards. Creative players discovered you could use the cannon to "rocket jump" by firing away from the direction you wanted to go. Heavies with full ammo could flagcap on 2fort faster than scouts.

Of course, you were out of ammo after about 15 shots. :lol:

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Why is everyone talking about the Heavy? :D

Impersonator on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Why is everyone talking about the Heavy? :D

www.teamfortress.com

Heavy update next.