As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Why the EA hatred?

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    I don't really care about them or the games they release. I usually just rent the few good games they release every year. The only exception will be Spore.

Couscous on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited July 2008
    Because they killed Bullfrog and treated their workers as slaves or something.

Opium on
  • Options
    Spacehog85Spacehog85 Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Igort wrote: »
    Spacehog85 wrote: »
    Quick! Someone explain the point of this thread and/or make sense of the OP!

Some guy is really "LTTP", as it were.

EA made Link to the Past !?!?!

Spacehog85 on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    (edit)^^ booooooo

Damn, now I miss Magic Carpet. Never understood what was going on but it was good fun :(

Ledneh on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Renzo wrote: »
    EA also kinda own Bioware and Pandemic and are not fucking them up. Yet.

EA bought them less than 1 year ago and neither has gone through a full development cycle in the meantime.

Hopefully EA has learned from their many, many mistakes.

But the deal with copy-protection in Mass Effect and Spore that was posted about a while back certainly never would have occurred before the buyout.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Guys I think I've got it!

The first post was deliberately accusatory so that we'd all rush to EA's defence and say how much we like them now.

It's an insidious marketer! GET HIM!

subedii on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ledneh wrote: »
    (edit)^^ booooooo

Damn, now I miss Magic Carpet. Never understood what was going on but it was good fun :(

It's actually as much a strategy game as it is an action / flight game.

Takin' the castles, upgradin' em with mana. Using your castles to spawn your archers to harrass the enemy wizards etc...

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

EA bought them less than 1 year ago and neither has gone through a full development cycle in the meantime.

But the deal with copy-protection in Mass Effect and Spore that was posted about a while back certainly never would have occurred before the buyout.
    Yeah, that's why I said "yet". They haven't really had the chance to get their hands in anything major that we can see.

Renzo on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Ledneh wrote: »
    (edit)^^ booooooo

It's actually as much a strategy game as it is an action / flight game.

Takin' the castles, upgradin' em with mana. Using your castles to spawn your archers to harrass the enemy wizards etc...

Yeah see, I don't remember or comprehend any of that. I just remember golden balls of some sort, giant fuckoff flying worms, and getting really dizzy

Ledneh on
  • Options
    NevaNeva Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Oh yeah, that shit was harsh. Having to have an internet connection and all, I don't know how anyone but cyber punks or scientist were able to play them.

Neva on
    SC2 Beta: Neva.ling

"Everyone who is capable of logical thought should be able to see why you shouldn't sell lifetime subscriptions to an MMO. Cell phone companies and drug dealers don't offer lifetime subscriptions either, guess why?" - Mugaaz
  • Options
    edited July 2008

Yeah, that's why I said "yet". They haven't really had the chance to get their hands in anything major that we can see.

The Sims: Dragon Age expansion.

Cast fireballs at your neighbours porch! Teleport all their poolwater into their loft!

The possibilities for pranks are endless!

subedii on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited July 2008
    Bama wrote: »
    Pretty much what everyone else said, no one hates EA anymore except for the irrational.

Hell, I never hated EA, but that's basically because I didn't give a shit about any of those companies they killed.
    Oh god, what happened? It stinks like console gamer in here.
    :P

Hey, I'm not gonna deny it. I'm not a PC gamer, never have been and never will me. So that giant list mentioned beforehand, "Wing Commander. Ultima. Dungeon Keeper. Populous. Syndicate. Magic Carpet. Sim Tower/Life/City etc... Dune. Lands of Lore"...yeah. Pretty much meant nothing.
    Do you have aspergers or something? Otherwise, surely you can grasp the concept of putting yourself in someone else's shoes and try to imagine why they might be sad or pissed a publisher killed their favorite developer? Imagine that it happened to Square or whichever developer you really liked. Bullfrog especially made some of the greatest games of all time, so it's not like someone is just being whiny when they diapprove of what EA did to them.

Opium on
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    subedii wrote: »

The Sims: Dragon Age expansion.

Cast fireballs at your neighbours porch! Teleport all their poolwater into their loft!

The possibilities for pranks are endless!

It'd have to follow the recent trends in Sims expansion naming:

The Sims: Dragon Age House Stuff

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Opium wrote: »
    Pretty much what everyone else said, no one hates EA anymore except for the irrational.

Hell, I never hated EA, but that's basically because I didn't give a shit about any of those companies they killed.

Hey, I'm not gonna deny it. I'm not a PC gamer, never have been and never will me. So that giant list mentioned beforehand, "Wing Commander. Ultima. Dungeon Keeper. Populous. Syndicate. Magic Carpet. Sim Tower/Life/City etc... Dune. Lands of Lore"...yeah. Pretty much meant nothing.
    Do you have aspergers or something? Otherwise, surely you can grasp the concept of putting yourself in someone else's shoes and try to imagine why they might be sad or pissed a publisher killed their favorite developer? Imagine that it happened to Square or whichever developer you really liked. Bullfrog especially made some of the greatest games of all time, so it's not like someone is just being whiny when they diapprove of what EA did to them.

Dude, chill.

Seriously, there's nothing to get upset with him about here. :lol:

subedii on
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    their ea store is shit.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Their PC support is pretty shit in general.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Wren wrote: »
    their ea store is shit.

Yes. Yes it is.

That's something I can definitely dislike about them. The very existence of that crappy store meant that I couldn't get Mass Effect on Steam.

Seriously EA, sort that store out or acquiesce already!

subedii on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2008
    Robman wrote: »
    Look, I understand your utter fucking disdain for The Sims 2 - Hobo Adventures in Interior Decorating #2234 and Command and Conquer 33: Yuri Gets Botox...

But this shit sells.

EA is a large company. They are legally bound in their responsibility to maximize shareholder profits.

What this means is that they will not waste funds on some fringe product that won't sell because people would rather see a clone of a beloved geriatric franchise instead of some new meat on the market.

Case in point: most of the largest upcoming titles in production are all sequels. Fallout 3, Diablo 3, Far Cry 2, Star Craft 2.... I'm seeing a pattern, and it's a lack of AAA studios putting out new shit for us to play with.

So until us fringe fuckwits can organize the masses into buying enough copies of Spore that it rivals whatever shit Blizzard polishes to a shine and stamps their logo on... stop ragging on EA for doing their job.

Acquisition and death of several great gaming studios. Needlessly whoring out of their franchises. Horrible treatment of their developers.

Dunno if it warrants hate, but certainly disdain.

They've admitted that they were wrong, and have so far taken steps to rectify their problems.

Good for them.

Ubisoft has been more than happy to take their place as Generic Shitty Publisher.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Spore won't let me upload a bunch of penises. This is an outrage.

Couscous on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    box-l.jpg

This is why.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Is EA's online support for non-new games still shit?

Couscous on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited July 2008

Dude, chill.

Seriously, there's nothing to get upset with him about here. :lol:
    I am actually really calm and mellow at the mo, sorry if my typing style comes across as panicky apparently.

Opium on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

So... why should we care about what you think? No offence, but you seem to be saying "I have no strong opinion on this matter, because I do not know what the hell I am talking about!"

Edit: So late.

Vic on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    IMG

This is why.
    Hate the NFL.

Bama on
  • Options
    StraythStrayth Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    OP, you just listed two games I like, and whether it sells isn't the basis by which I hate companies. I don't even hate EA, I just tire of their antics. It's mostly that they buy out smaller companies and turn them into franchise-title crapfactories, and that typically leads to paying more for less quality over time.

It's not really that hard to figure out why people wouldn't like EA- is this thread a genuine question or is this just an attempt to stir up a pot?

Strayth on
    That's right.
  • Options
    CitrusCitrus Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    The only thing I dislike about the new refined EA is that they are still buying up anyone who makes a hit. Especially all that bullshit they pulled around the time gta4 was being released, goddamn EA you are not the borg.

Also Army of Two was half a game.

Citrus on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited July 2008
    Citrus wrote: »
    This is hardly an EA-exclusive issue though. Lots of companies rush games out the door before they are finished. From Nintendo to Ubisoft.

Opium on
  • Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Do you even know what aspergers is? what you just described is closer to Pony's thing.

Also, chill.

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    The only thing I dislike about the new refined EA is that they are still buying up anyone who makes a hit. Especially all that bullshit they pulled around the time gta4 was being released, goddamn EA you are not the borg.

To be fair, that's probably one of the the main reasons we've got Acti-Blizzard now.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    This is hardly an EA-exclusive issue though. Lots of companies rush games out the door before they are finished. From Nintendo to Ubisoft.

Nintendo?

Couscous on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited July 2008
    Do you even know what aspergers is? what you just described is closer to Pony's thing.

Also, chill.
    Lol why are you telling me to chill, was that post really that screamy? I really didn't intend it to be. Try reading it in Humphrey Bogart's voice or something, that's the way it was intended. :lol:

Opium on
  • Options
    OpiumOpium regular
    edited July 2008
    titmouse wrote: »

Nintendo?
    Wind Waker for example. Cut dungeons to rush it out on time. There's remains of them still in the game, like Jabu Jabu.

Opium on
  • Options
    natxcrossnatxcross Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

Also, chill.
    Lol why are you telling me to chill, was that post really that screamy? I really didn't intend it to be. Try reading it in Humphrey Bogart's voice or something, that's the way it was intended. :lol:

From now on, I'm reading every post in Humphrey Bogart's voice.

natxcross on
  • Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Who's Humphrey Bogart?

Also, never say Lol. It kills my brain.

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited July 2008

The first post was deliberately accusatory so that we'd all rush to EA's defence and say how much we like them now.

Don't forget the plants as well.

EA Apologists all up in here.

EA says they've changed. It still remains to be seen if it's enough, because they're still up to their same old shit.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    edited July 2008
    Who's Humphrey Bogart?

Run. Run now before it's too late.

Preferably to your nearest video store.

subedii on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008

Really? I remember pretty clearly the original NWN's copy protection giving people severe issues, enough so that devs were linking the no-cd cracks on the company's forums for people. And I remember because I was one of the ones helped by them.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited July 2008
    Why the EA hatred?
    Keeps them on their toes.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2008
    Things like the video pages for skate have been pretty shocking, particularly with the way they manage their accounts (with having aliases and crap, and different accounts for each game. That is staggeringly retarded), but that's about the only thing I could complain about. I much prefer how things work on bungie.net where you just sign in with your hotmail address or whatever, that's linked to your gamertag. Job done.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    IgortIgort Registered User regular
    edited July 2008
    B:L wrote: »

Don't forget the plants as well.

EA Apologists all up in here.

EA says they've changed. It still remains to be seen if it's enough, because they're still up to their same old shit.

They're bringing it back with some good games, man. Like Skate, Mirror's Edge and Dead Space. I'm sure other people will say some others.

Igort on