Options

American Presidency: McCain picks Palin

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ha, when Palin mentioned Clinton, the name got a ton of boos. Do McCain supporters even believe in the glass ceiling?

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Palin just name-dropped Hillary Clinton, and got soundly booed.

Then repeated that "I'm breaking that glass ceiling" line and got cheers.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    "My son is in Iraq" is Palin's POW.

The son of an oil rigger.

moniker on
  • Options
    Locust76Locust76 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ahahahahaha the crowd just booed when she mentioned Hillary. So much for that line of attack.

Is there a live internet stream of this to be had somewhere? Can't get American TV here in Germany :(

Locust76 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The dude from MSNBC just called her the "cheerleader in chief". I really hope that doesn't catch on, not because I like her but because I think that might hurt women in politics in general.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Locust76 wrote: »
    Ahahahahaha the crowd just booed when she mentioned Hillary. So much for that line of attack.

Is there a live internet stream of this to be had somewhere? Can't get American TV here in Germany :(

CNN's website should have video.

But if you heard Palin's acceptance speech, this was pretty much the exact same thing. Although McCain wasn't as stiff and awkward as he usually is.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    moniker wrote: »

noun, verb, child with downs syndrome

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

The anti-Edwards?

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    She is even more shrill than Hillary

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    Psycho Internet HawkPsycho Internet Hawk Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    She's a pretty poor speaker, even with a prepared speech.

I can only imagine how she'll come across during the debates.

Psycho Internet Hawk on
    ezek1t.jpg
  • Options
    GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    What has the reaction from the Republican side been regarding her being chosen?

Glaeal on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Unless she has the best coaching team in the world, or can download information directly into her brain stem Matrix style, watching her debate Joe Biden on foreign policy issues will be painful.

I'm betting she's just going to stick to talking points, and play up any lack of knowledge or gaffes as being "a Warshington outsider".

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Glaeal wrote: »

The Freeper-style base seems to be fired up since she's such a wingnut, but some of the more intellectual conservative pundits are offended at her utter lack of qualifications. Of course, this is before the mighty GOP smashes them all back into line.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    Grammaton ClericGrammaton Cleric Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Glaeal wrote: »

"Hooray!" from the evangelical base, "I guess we can't bang the Obama is too inexperienced drum anymore...shit" from the more moderate pubs.

EDIT: Beat...and more eloquently.

Grammaton Cleric on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    <Biden> *question*

<Palin> *doesn't know answer, so says something that has nothing to do with said question*

<Media> WOW SHE DID AWESOME IN THE DEBATES.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Lawndart wrote: »

Unless she has the best coaching team in the world...

I like to imagine a My Fair Lady style scenario, with McCain as Professor Higgins.

"POW?"

"I think she's got it!"

"Actually, she never served, so we can't use that."

"DAMN, DAMN, DAMN, DAMN!"

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Obama is on now.

I wonder how the postponement of the pubby convention will play out

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Now it's Obama and Biden live at Budokan...er...in Ohio...on CNN.

And being introduced by Ted Strickland. Interesting.

Over 10K people. In Dublin, Ohio.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    McCain would be lucky to get 10k in most cities

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    SyphonBrue wrote: »
    Oh god, Palin is so blatantly flogging that her oldest kid is going to be deployed, unlike Joe Biden. Stay classy!

But....Biden's son WAS just deployed...

Beau Biden only alluded to that when introducing Joe at the DNC, and Joe didn't mention it during his speech. Palin just blatantly plugged her son's deployment during the speech she's making right now.

Oh, and she's bragging about "cutting wasteful spending" when she was mayor of Bumfuck, Alaska. Because nobody has access to the internet to fact check that.

She must have done a shitty job at cutting wasteful because the sports complex ending up forcing the city to raise the sales tax in order to pay for it.

Couscous on
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

I have a suspicion that people who vote for President based on what the VP pick's children are up to don't vote.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    Locust76Locust76 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

I have a suspicion that people who vote for President based on what the VP pick's children are up to don't vote.

God I hope not...

Locust76 on
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    SyphonBrue wrote: »
    Oh god, Palin is so blatantly flogging that her oldest kid is going to be deployed, unlike Joe Biden. Stay classy!
    But....Biden's son WAS just deployed...
    Beau Biden only alluded to that when introducing Joe at the DNC, and Joe didn't mention it during his speech. Palin just blatantly plugged her son's deployment during the speech she's making right now.
    That was something I had to laugh at after Biden's speech the other night. CNN had the Republican contender for his senate seat on, crying bloody murder over the fact that Beau Biden had dared to so much as "allude" to the fact that he was headed for Iraq.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Palin really was an awful choice for his running mate. She's just a token pick to try and get the female vote. So if McCain wins the election and then dies of a heart attack in his term (olol he's old), we'll have her succeeding him as president. :^:

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Sal wrote: »
    Concept drawing of the Republican National Convention:

goppodiumsmall.jpg

Why is there a lensflare?

Edit: Hasn't the Alaskan government's spending actual increased because of increased oil money?

Couscous on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Dashui wrote: »
    Palin really was an awful choice for his running mate. She's just a token pick to try and get the female vote. So if McCain wins the election and then dies of a heart attack in his term (olol he's old), we'll have her succeeding him as president. :^:

And we'll get what we deserve. She'd likely get pressured to continue the Bush/McCain policies, and fuck things up even further. In 2012 we'll have another chance to correct the problem, this time without the onus of ovarian orthodoxy.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    SyphonBrueSyphonBrue Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    "John McCain was wrong and Barack Obama was right!"

Beautiful.

SyphonBrue on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Couscous wrote: »
    Sal wrote: »
    Concept drawing of the Republican National Convention:

goppodiumsmall.jpg

Why is there a lensflare?

Edit: Hasn't the Alaskan government's spending actual increased because of increased oil money?

Why not? I mean, the button is right there in Photoshop. Everything is better with lens flare.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Oh god this is going so well

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    You know, I kinda like that they're completely ignoring Palin, like she doesn't even exist.

SyphonBrue on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

After thinking about it for a day, I think that she isn't a token pick to get the women's vote - she's a token pick to shore up the social conservative vote, and a desperate attempt to get media attention. I just can't believe that they think the key to this election is "we'll pick a woman, and then lots of women will vote for us!" I think the fact that she's a woman is a plus on top of her social-conservative credentials.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    tsmvengy wrote: »

After thinking about it for a day, I think that she isn't a token pick to get the women's vote - she's a token pick to shore up the social conservative vote, and a desperate attempt to get media attention. I just can't believe that they think the key to this election is "we'll pick a woman, and then lots of women will vote for us!" I think the fact that she's a woman is a plus on top of her social-conservative credentials.

I think you are being naive to how naive republicans can be.

There isn't a micrometer of doubt in my mind that they picked her because she is a woman.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

And we'll get what we deserve. She'd likely get pressured to continue the Bush/McCain policies, and fuck things up even further. In 2012 we'll have another chance to correct the problem, this time without the onus of ovarian orthodoxy.

Well, the odds of a 72 year old man dying in the next 4 years has to be pretty low.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Well, the odds of a 72 year old man dying in the next 4 years has to be pretty low.

Do you see how quickly Presidents age? Someone's gotta have those comparison images around they can post.

SyphonBrue on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

If his age doesn't get him, his Alzheimer's will. It'll go from the very real not remembering how many houses he owns to glassing France believing it to Vietnam and the year 1968.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    For some reason I felt compelled to look it up, and a 72 year old man has a life-expectancy of 12 more years with a 3-4% chance of dying each year.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    For some reason I felt compelled to look it up, and a 72 year old man has a life-expectancy of 12 more years with a 3-4% chance of dying each year.

Now add in five years of torture and a recurring history of skin cancer.

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Rufus_ShinraRufus_Shinra Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    Although that doesn't take into account his previous bouts with cancer, as well as the longevity of his genes.

I'm willing to bet the fact that his mom is 98 bumps him up a bit, and the cancer bumps him down a lot.

Rufus_Shinra on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    God, more fainters?

. . . and did he just say "quick getting-up team"?

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The hell, Obama. Pass out smelling salts in the campaign store, my God. And you wonder why people make fun of your events?

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
This discussion has been closed.