As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Official Veep Debate Thread: FULL DEBATE VIDEO IN FIRST POST

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    They didn't prep her for emotion.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Sam wrote: »
    does that aww-gee-shucks Archie! shit really fly?

it looks worse than Bush
    Yes, this really flies. As does "go to a soccer game, and ask any parent whether or not they're worried", and "we need some of the Main Streeters from Wasilla in Washington" and "doggonit". It really works. Especially in mostly-red states. Because apparently we want the country run by semi-educated soccer moms.

The Indianapolis Star this morning on the front page had an article about the debate with a "split panel" of Indiana voters and how they reacted to the debates. Even one person that was an Obama supporter said that her down-to-earth style made them feel like they could more closely relate to her.

[edit] Oh, also, her absolute RAILING on and on about energy in Alaska gave someone on that panel the ability to feel confident that Palin could be president and run the country. No, really. "Drill baby, drill" made someone feel like she's qualified to be the leader of *the* superpower in the world.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Twice I doubted the McCain race, last year during the primaries and recently so I had to watch the debate as my confidence in Palin was severely shaken after her recent interviews. After the debate my confidence is fully restored and I'm as energized as when she gave her speech at the RNC.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I would have voted for Jodi Rell if she were on the ticket.

But she's not TV pretty.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Bogart wrote: »
    Over here in jolly old England the debate was reported as a win for Biden in terms of substance but a win for Palin in terms of not screwing up too badly and connecting with the people she was brought in to corral. True, or a gross simplification?

I think pundits assumed Palin "connected" but post-debate polling disagreed. The rest is by-and-large accurate though

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I watched about a half hour of the debate and then went to bed, it didnt really change anything for me.

Biden did seem a bit slimy and Palin did look a bit... stupid. then again looks can be whatever.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    CBSPoll_1.jpg

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    necroSYSnecroSYS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    Twice I doubted the McCain race, last year during the primaries and recently so I had to watch the debate as my confidence in Palin was severely shaken after her recent interviews. After the debate my confidence is fully restored and I'm as energized as when she gave her speech at the RNC.

I guess feeling "energized" by her is understandable, given that she gave a performance worthy of a well-programmed robot, or maybe a myna bird.

necroSYS on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    Biden did seem a bit slimy and Palin did look a bit... stupid. then again looks can be whatever.

Were you watching the debate Palin-style, with the sound all the way down?

necroSYS on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    it just seems to me like a dead breed after Bush II. You can't be *that* much of an idiot anymore. In 2000 the idea of a charismatic idiot in office wasn't as unpalatable partly because people were becoming increasingly jaded about how ultimately insincere everyone was, and that cabinets basically did the job a lot of the time.

Competence is a real issue this time around though-because now everyone feels the lack thereof biting them hard in the ass.

Sam on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Zephyr wrote: »
    CBSPoll_1.jpg

it's cbs though.

however i doubt theres a poll anywhere, including Fox, that gives it to Palin

Sam on
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The problem of the candidate being an "idiot" does not come into play for these people Sam.

Someone in the Election thread actually made a post I thought was pretty interesting yesterday about consumerism and choice. People who I would call anti-intellectual will use their choice to pick the candidate that is most like them, because that candidate makes them feel comfortable. It's not about thinking outside of themselves, or deciding what's best for everyone. It is about feeling comfortable, and not having to say "There are things that are completely over my head that I do not get, I should choose someone who is informed on these issues, and has shown me that they have enough problem-solving skills to find their way out of a paper bag". So they pick the "Main Streeter" who says "doggonit Joe", and refers to soccer games.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • Options
    CJTheranCJTheran Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    CBSPoll_1.jpg

it's cbs though.

As I stated last night, Fox had Palin winning like 80-12

CJTheran on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    CBSPoll_1.jpg

it's cbs though.

Only the FoxNews "focus group".

The CNN poll said
    (CNN) -- A national poll of people who watched the vice presidential debate Thursday night suggests that Democratic Sen. Joe Biden won, but also says Republican Gov. Sarah Palin exceeded expectations.

The CNN/Opinion Research Corp. said 51 percent of those polled thought Biden did the best job, while 36 percent thought Palin did the best jo
    On the question of the candidates' qualifications to assume the presidency, 87 percent of those polled said Biden is qualified and 42 percent said Palin is qualified.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Speaker wrote: »
    MrMister wrote: »
    I thought that she did depressingly well. She stayed on message, and when she didn't like the question she didn't answer it. Which didn't come off as poorly as it could have because there were no followups.

Biden should be whipped for his wandering oration.

This is my feeling also.

Did you watch the same Palin talking about foreign policy?
    Uhm...mumble...stutter...talking point...uhm... can I talk about Afghanistan for a second?

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    PantsB wrote: »
    CBSPoll_1.jpg

it's cbs though.

Only the FoxNews "focus group".

The CNN poll said
    (CNN) -- A national poll of people who watched the vice presidential debate Thursday night suggests that Democratic Sen. Joe Biden won, but also says Republican Gov. Sarah Palin exceeded expectations.

The CNN/Opinion Research Corp. said 51 percent of those polled thought Biden did the best job, while 36 percent thought Palin did the best jo
    On the question of the candidates' qualifications to assume the presidency, 87 percent of those polled said Biden is qualified and 42 percent said Palin is qualified.

Hmmm, you missed a couple of key paragraphs.
    But respondents said the folksy Palin was more likable, scoring 54 percent to Biden's 36 percent. Seventy percent said Biden was more of a typical politician.

Both candidates exceeded expectations --
    84 percent of the people polled said Palin did a better job than they expected
    , while 64 percent said Biden also exceeded expectations.

Just like the primaries this is where McCain can makes his comeback.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I like my brother. I don't pretend he's qualified for president.

Quid on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Any candidate can exceed expectations so low they hit China.

After Bush, I want to know why people don't assume that folksy just means retarded.
    He did that over many months. He has until Nov. to make a comeback. I'm also not seeing how Obama could selfdestruct.

Couscous on
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    well duh of course she was gonna exceed expectations

she didn't break down in tears or drool on herself

Zephyr on
    16kakxt.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Couscous wrote: »
    Any candidate can exceed expectations so low they hit China.

After Bush, I want to know why people don't assume that folksy just means retarded.
    He did that over many months. He has until Nov. to make a comeback. I'm also not seeing how Obama could selfdestruct.
    Also important to note is that he was competing in a "Who sucks the least" primary.

Quid on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    its much more likely that come november people realize that the meltdown hasnt hurt them like it was supposed to do.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    SyphonBrueSyphonBrue Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    its much more likely that come november people realize that the meltdown hasnt hurt them like it was supposed to do.

Yeah, seriously. I mean, LondonBridge has a BMW. That means everything is great for everyone! Right? Right?

SyphonBrue on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I think the Daily Show just got their sound bite for tonight: "She strung together complete sentences, she was understandable, and in that sense it was a complete success"

Quid on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    I think the Daily Show just got their sound bite for tonight: "She strung together complete sentences, she was understandable, and in that sense it was a complete success"

Are they on tonight?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Do they not do Fridays?

I would make me sad if they don't do Fridays.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    SyphonBrue wrote: »

Yeah, seriously. I mean, LondonBridge has a BMW. That means everything is great for everyone! Right? Right?

You know it's that pessimistic attitude that tells me we'll get a lot done with 8)bama as Prezident.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

You know it's that pessimistic attitude that tells me we'll get a lot done with 8)bama as Prezident.

What the fuck does that mean?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    It means London's insane and has already forgotten the point he made earlier and already had knocked down.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Do they not do Fridays?

Meh, I'm sure Bill Maher will satisfy you tonight if you need some Palin bashing. He's in HD on HBO.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Do they not do Fridays?

Meh, I'm sure Bill Maher will satisfy you tonight if you need some Palin bashing. He's in HD on HBO.
    Where was I bashing Palin? Try to keep your wandering mind on one topic

Quid on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Couscous wrote: »

What the fuck does that mean?

It means the first step to solving a problem is to deny that a problem exists.

Scooter on
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

Jobless claims at 7-year high.

Unemployment at 6.1%.

Factory-orders at 2-year low.

300-400 car dealerships to close by year end.

Toyota sales drop 32% last month; Toyota institutes 0% financing to woo buyers.

Even consumers with good credit have trouble getting auto loans.

Credit-card delinquencies up 20%.

Record drop in housing prices.

The meltdown has already hurt people. Michigan/Ohio/Indiana are worse off than they've been in years, and that's saying a lot.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Do they not do Fridays?

Where was I bashing Palin? Try to keep your wandering mind on one topic

It was more of a response to Couscous.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

It reminds me of Chris Rock's bit about Colin Powell's presidency rumors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkqwspFr3D8

necroSYS on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Back on topic. I also think Biden did an excellent job and this will be the first time we'll see a Senator as President since JFK, AFAIK. Though they bore the fuck out of me when they talk about the wrangling that goes on in the Capitol it'll be interesting to see how the lead when compared to former governor's like Clinton, Bush, & Reagan.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    narvinyenarvinye Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Just gonna add my 2 cents here...

I think Palin did very well, especially given prior performances on the big stage. I think the format favored her. She was well prepared for almost all questions asked. Someone needs to get a bonus for that prep job. She only stumbled majorly once, I don't remember the question, but it was about the 2nd from the end. She obviously had no clue and was playing rambling word association ala Katie Couric.

Biden did well, like I thought he'd do. He frustrated me a bit when she attacked him on "saying he was for something, then against" and again when she talked about bringing fiscal responsibility as mayor and governor. OMG, would that have been a perfect time to mention the damned bridge, or the state of Wasilla's budget before/after Palin.

I think we're seeing the football equivalent of a team playing safe with a lead in the 3rd quarter. I don't know if that's a good idea or not. There's a lot of football left, and now more people than ever a re paying attention, many for the first time. I'm hoping they were just playing safe for this debate, and aren't going to try to just ride this lead out into November.

For many people who were seeing Palin for the first time, but had heard all the crap about her in the news, I think they come away thinking, "What's the big deal?" and it lends credence to the right's myth of a liberal media. However, McCain cannot escape the trap of his own past and the fact most Americans don't buy the "lower taxes" as the sole way out of this mess, and that's his only option.

narvinye on
  • Options
    narvinyenarvinye Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Back on topic. I also think Biden did an excellent job and this will be the first time we'll see a Senator as President since JFK, AFAIK. Though they bore the fuck out of me when they talk about the wrangling that goes on in the Capitol it'll be interesting to see how the lead when compared to former governor's like Clinton, Bush, & Reagan.

From the polls, you and most others. The sad part about this "boredom" though is that because it bores people, they don't pay attention to it, then it allows attacks like,"Obama voted 94 times against lower taxes". That sounds like, wow, dude. Then when you try to set the record straight, everyone goes "Yawn".

That boredom with basic civics has been one of the most dangerous trends to our politics.

narvinye on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Though they bore the fuck out of me when they talk about the wrangling that goes on in the Capitol

This is what politicians count on during election seasons and the reason so many senators never make it to the White House.

You take a nuanced fact like Obama voting against a funding bill for the troops because there was no timetable attached and turn it into "I can't believe Barack Obama can talk about supporting our troops when he votes against giving them the funds they need to stay safe and alive."

You take a nuanced fact like Obama voting for a clean energy bill which contains an amendment with incentives for energy companies and you spin it into "Obama voted to give tax breaks to the same greedy corporations he now repudiates."

The legislative wrangling that goes on in Congress doesn't lend well to soundbytes, but you can spin any single part of it into a great attack ad.

necroSYS on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    narvinye wrote: »

Biden did well, like I thought he'd do. He frustrated me a bit when she attacked him on "saying he was for something, then against" and again when she talked about bringing fiscal responsibility as mayor and governor. OMG, would that have been a perfect time to mention the damned bridge, or the state of Wasilla's budget before/after Palin.

Yeah, too bad he didn't bring it up.

Biden, Obama helped keep 'Bridge to Nowhere' alive

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/23/biden.earmarks/index.html

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    narvinye wrote: »

Yeah, too bad he didn't bring it up.

Biden, Obama helped keep 'Bridge to Nowhere' alive

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/23/biden.earmarks/index.html
    Along with 93 other senators. Incidentally, how did McCain vote on that?

Though I am glad Biden didn't go after Palin. It seems like going for the throat is frowned on by the undecideds that we're trying to win over in the debates. I also think most people's minds are already made up re: Palin's dishonesty and hypocrisy.

Qingu on
This discussion has been closed.