As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Official Veep Debate Thread: FULL DEBATE VIDEO IN FIRST POST

• Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    narvinye wrote: »
    For many people who were seeing Palin for the first time, but had heard all the crap about her in the news, I think they come away thinking, "What's the big deal?" and it lends credence to the right's myth of a liberal media. However, McCain cannot escape the trap of his own past and the fact most Americans don't buy the "lower taxes" as the sole way out of this mess, and that's his only option.

This is what I'm afraid of. Now that more people have seen the "real" Palin, or at least think they have, the ticket could very easily get a decent bump and bring them back into the game. She gets sympathy votes and McCain's bitching about the media gets credence. Hopefully, the elbow to the media implicit in this argument will be enough to ensure that they keep tearing her a new one.
    Another disadvantage is that for all intents and purposes, Palin's job is done. From now on she just makes her stump speech and hopes McCain gets elected, so she can sit in the white house and play freecell all day.

Duffel on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The Palin bump will be entirely media spin. Essentially do they latch on to "she seemed to not be stupid anymore" or "well she keeps saying she wants more media interviews but keeps not doing them"

She's in a rough corner. She shored up her base and stopped the bleeding, but she needs to reclaim the middle, or she's a drag on the ticket.

kildy on
  • Options
    SyphonBrueSyphonBrue Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    There won't be a Palin bump.

SyphonBrue on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I can see one forming from conservatives we were scared away from the ticket by her more atrocious appearances seeing this and going "oh phew, my gut desire to vote for this ticket already lets me actually do it"

The NRO bloggers of the world.

kildy on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    kildy wrote: »
    The Palin bump will be entirely media spin. Essentially do they latch on to "she seemed to not be stupid anymore" or "well she keeps saying she wants more media interviews but keeps not doing them"

She's in a rough corner. She shored up her base and stopped the bleeding, but she needs to reclaim the middle, or she's a drag on the ticket.
    I know going toward the middle is what McCain needs to do, but I'm not sure McCain seems to be doing that anymore; the Palin pick was clearly geared toward the base, almost to the point of parody. His emphasis on the wealthy in his economic policy these past few weeks also seems to be much more targeted toward the tradition Pub base.
    Then again, his campaign has been reduced to a series of bizarre "hail Maries" and weird publicity stunts, so I guess it shouldn't be surprising that there isn't a consistent theme.

Duffel on
  • Options
    NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

The thing is, she's not quite saying she wants to do more interviews... she wants to talk to the people without the silly mainstream media getting in the way. Because they might, you know, expect her to answer the questions that they actually asked rather than just pull out whatever memorized talking point seems closest.

Nerissa on
  • Options
    NumiNumi Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Access is probably going to be the big thing for the media, if they don't get it then they might just start bringing out the long knives and waiting for palin in the tall grass.

Numi on
  • Options
    necroSYSnecroSYS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    This is depressingly accurate.

2909496470_d751e8a3dc.jpg

necroSYS on
  • Options
    narvinyenarvinye Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    necroSYS wrote: »

that...that just summed up about 4 pages of discussion.

i'm strangely awed and woefully depressed by this revelation

is that even, like, possible?

narvinye on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

Perfect.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm glad I wasn't the only one who caught her reading verbatim from an index card.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You betcha!

I should make a t-shirt with that on it.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    CJTheranCJTheran Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Hahahah

CJTheran on
  • Options
    galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I didn't see the rickroll behind Matthews, but I did notice the giant "HEAD OF NIXON 08" poster about 20 mins beforehand. Anyone got a screencap of that by any chance?

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    SlapdashSlapdash Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Malkor wrote: »
    You betcha!

I should make a t-shirt with that on it.

In case you weren't making a joke, this is unfortunately a running self-deprecating meme in the Midwest.

For example: http://clothing.cafepress.com/item/mens-ubetcha-white-golf-shirt/184341982

Slapdash on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    For those saying she answered questions well, which ones? The only questions I can think off the top of my head she actually answered were the gay marriage (which she kind of flubbed the right wing talking point) climate change (looked terrible) and what the cheney question (answer was the definition of horrible).

Biden made some great points and hammered home that McCain's policies suck, Palins answer to those was "Don't think about the past joe gosh darn it". I really think her blather may play well to redneck red states, but after McCain's been falling in the polls due to his non knowledge on economics I don't think Palins non answers helped him win independents or swing state voters.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Wait, reading from index cards? What?

kildy on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Irond Will wrote: »
    Palimplosion
    That's a brilliant word.

Maybe, in all the debate camp drilling, could they have been considered to make a Palinpsest?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Preacher wrote: »
    For those saying she answered questions well, which ones? The only questions I can think off the top of my head she actually answered were the gay marriage (which she kind of flubbed the right wing talking point) climate change (looked terrible) and what the cheney question (answer was the definition of horrible).

Biden made some great points and hammered home that McCain's policies suck, Palins answer to those was "Don't think about the past joe gosh darn it". I really think her blather may play well to redneck red states, but after McCain's been falling in the polls due to his non knowledge on economics I don't think Palins non answers helped him win independents or swing state voters.

You know, I live in a redneck red state and the only signs I've seen in people's yards have been Obama/Biden signs. hell, I tried to get one, but they ran out of them. they RAN OUT OF THEM in oklahoma. But I still know we'll end up a red state. D:

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

And yet tragically comical

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    That's probably not far off from whatever they gave her to study over the last week or two.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    SolandraSolandra Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Having slept on it, I'll give her B for presence, good eye contact, and confidence, and a D for content and judgement.

Bad judgement - pulling the "working mom" card and getting thwapped by Biden with the "new widower with a son in the hospital" card.

Bad content AND judgement - Jerusalem as the capital of Israel? and what, pray tell, do we do about our relations with Egypt and other crazy places in that region of the world? Are they going to shut down Tel Aviv when they move the US Embassy? Sounds good for an end-times-preachin' gal, not so practical for life up til the End Times.

Bad Content - expanding the powers of the VP. Props to Biden for citing the constitution regarding how clearly that's defined. Actually, maybe that's not bad, just scary as hell.

I'm not qualified to comment on Biden's presentation, because that smirk invokes judgement imparing hormones. Actually, there wasn't anything he said that made me want to throw my drink at the TV, so that's a win for him.

Solandra on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2008
    Speaker wrote: »
    MrMister wrote: »
    I thought that she did depressingly well. She stayed on message, and when she didn't like the question she didn't answer it. Which didn't come off as poorly as it could have because there were no followups.

Biden should be whipped for his wandering oration.

This is my feeling also.

Ditto.

I mean, I was trying not to stab myself in the ear every time she opened her mouth, because I knew how retarded everything she said was, but I'm not Joe Voter. To an ignoramu... I mean, typical undecided voter, she probably seemed competent.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Uh...Jerusalem is the capitol of Israel.

SyphonBrue on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    SyphonBrue wrote: »

He meant place where our embassy is I think.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Frank Luntz conducted a focus group of undecideds after the first debate between McCain & Obama and it was very bad for McCain. This focus group views on the VP debate however came out very interesting 8-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKrk_6QjcNw

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    SolandraSolandra Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    SyphonBrue wrote: »

Crap, sorry. US Embassy's in Tel Aviv, however.

Solandra on
  • Options
    RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Frank Luntz conducted a focus group of undecideds after the first debate between McCain & Obama and it was very bad for McCain. This focus group views on the VP debate however came out very interesting 8-)
    Is that the Fox News focus group they had after the debates? Because man, those people weren't impartial at all.

Raggaholic on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2008
    Raggaholic wrote: »
    Is that the Fox News focus group they had after the debates? Because man, those people weren't impartial at all.

Yeah, I noticed it was Fox and decided not to bother.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKrk_6QjcNw

That makes me LIVID.

"We have been seeing all week videos that have been EDITED."

No fucking shit lady. Guess what - they edited OUT all the "Um, ah, er, uhhhhh" so that it could fit a 60 minute runtime. Every single thing on TV is EDITED.

And the "magic" of EDITING, shockingly!, does not create a moment where she opens her mouth, yet somehow a deep mans voice saying "I AM DUUUUMB" comes out as you see her mouth still moving.

SHIT SHE SAYS IS SHIT SHE SAYS, NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO.

Fucking MORONS.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »

All you need to know is that, at the end, they ask if anyone's changed their mind as a result of the debate and only three or four people say they did, with one of those people saying they decided to vote for Obama.

So basically they stacked the audience with people who already supported the McCain ticket when they should have been looking to balance things between both parties or pack the room with undecideds.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

It was also held at Anheuser-Busch headquarters. The company that Cindy McCain owns.

I mean, come on. If that's not a stacked deck....

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008

Because everyone who WORKS at FOX news are conservative shills, right? Sorry to break it to ya, buddy, but not that's not the case. I have a good personal friend who works for FOX as a producer covering Biden and he is quite the DC liberal, and he isn't the only one.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Because everyone who WORKS at FOX news are conservative shills, right? Sorry to break it to ya, buddy, but not that's not the case. I have a good personal friend who works for FOX as a producer covering Biden and he is quite the DC liberal, and he isn't the only one.

I have no doubt that FOX's hiring policy doesn't discriminate against people based on their political affiliation, but when we say that FOX is biased we're referring to their broadcasts, not their workforce as a whole.

Just look at the video you shared. Most everyone said they supported McCain after the debate, but none of those people raised their hands when the correspondent asked if they'd changed their minds as a result of the debate.

That means that Fox News selected an audience that almost unanimously supported McCain to begin with, and that's proof of bias at the expense of accurate reporting.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    necroSYSnecroSYS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008

Sounds like the "gay friend" defense, LB.

How do you reconcile this, then?
    galenblade wrote: »

It was also held at Anheuser-Busch headquarters. The company that Cindy McCain owns.

necroSYS on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Sounds like the "gay friend" defense, LB.

How do you reconcile this, then?

Clearly everyone who works at Anheuser Busch is a conservative right :rolleyes:

SyphonBrue on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited October 2008

I have no doubt that FOX's hiring policy doesn't discriminate against people based on their political affiliation, but when we say that FOX is biased we're referring to their broadcasts, not their workforce as a whole.

Just look at the video you shared. Most everyone said they supported McCain after the debate, but none of those people raised their hands when the correspondent asked if they'd changed their minds as a result of the debates.

That means the nearly the entire audience supported McCain to begin with, and that's proof of bias at the expense of accurate reporting.
    I am bolding this because this is the ultimate proof of the bias of that focus group.

It would be like putting the PA forumites on TV and calling them a focus group for the VP debate. Oh golly gee! Obama/Biden has overwhelming support! ;-)

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    ScreamlineScreamline Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Cindy McCain actually owns Hensley & Company, one of their largest US distributors. A-B is actually owned by Belgians, now.

Screamline on
  • Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Looks like Palin did pretty well, as expected. Also looks like nothing's been changed. I find the job numbers today more important to the race than anything else.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    We should use hidden cameras for the next debate, so the candidates have to talk to each other and not America.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
This discussion has been closed.