Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

How to screw with campus rent-a-cops

ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
edited October 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So I was going to go to this big yearly party, but headed out a little early, so I got to the general area before anybody else (that I could see). While I was just heading down after poking around, looking for some indication of where the party was (it seems that the organizers themselves were a little late as I saw neither guiding glow sticks nor tent), a campus police car appeared and went into the woods where I'd just checked (the trail was big enough). Okay, I thought, he's not going to find anything and now I know I'm at the right place. So I head down and see a crowd approaching, more proof that I'd gotten it right. So I'm approaching the crowd to see if they knew where ground zero was, when first I notice that the car had turned around to go back onto what could be considered road, then, when I'm almost to the group, a second car showed up and went to join the first.
I get to the group and the other groups right behind it and start heading back up, when yet a third car shows up and, as I soon learn, joined the other two in a little checkpoint to tell people to go away. The faster people get up there and, around the time the fourth car shows, reports back that they're making sure nobody goes past. So we go back down to the base of the hill and try to figure out what the plan is. On the way down a fifth car shows up, and while we try to get in contact with the guy in charge (I was with one of the lingering groups, others were trying to find alternate routs or parties) a sixth car and then an SUV joined the contingent.
So we finally go to check with a small group we see up in a different area, to learn from them that not only did they have campus-cops on the roofs of nearby buildings, but there were also cops hiding in the woods, waiting to see a flashlight or hear steps (the ground was rocky and gravely, so that wasn't hard), at which point the guy would turn on a huge flashlight/hand-held spotlight on the people and tell them to not even bother. They'd set up a fucking blockade large enough to require every campus cop and the deployment of the national guard!

We think that somebody snitched, as this was using the invite only facebook protocol.

So now some other students and I are planning a way to retaliate: do the same party runup, but have it be fake. I'm thinking that we might even put in a fake snitch (public phone?) just to be sure. Our plans include putting out some sixpacks with pretty ribbons on them, putting some smoke bombs (which someone in the party crowd told me weren't hard to make after I joked that we should make up some smokebombs and rush the blockade), possibly set off via remote control from a place that can see the site by binoculars (how do they do it with IEDs?), some fireworks in the surrounding area (the other headperson is heading up to New Hampshire in the near future), and perhaps have a person waiting at each accessway for the last of the cars to arrive before putting out caltrops or spike strips across the roads to make sure that the cars can't leave once they figure out what's going on. We're also planning to have real floor parties anywhere we can find a permissive CA at the same time.

Advice on what we can get away with, what we should do beyond what I've outlined and how to do what is outlined and what isn't, and general purpose tips would be greatly appreciated, as would info on any contacts you guys might have with MIT students interested in collaborating in a big Brandeis hack.

I want this to be big.Not just added to the wikipedia page alongside the Malcolm X University occupation big, or talking about it for years big, but copycats on campuses nationwide or even internationally big. I want campus police to know that just because they've been assigned guns after VTech doesn't mean they can go on a power trip and shut down campus life.

Scalfin on
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.

Posts

  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm going to go ahead and say any sort of smoke bomb, or in fact any incendiary device is a terrible idea. If your campus is like mine was, campus cops are real cops who carry real weapons. God forbid they catch your ass and accuse you of some trumped up terrorism charge.

    That said, campus cops for most part are there to protect students, I think you're wasting your time, but wasting theirs and the college's time may not be a terrible idea considering they spent so much effort blocking out a stupid party. Planning a fake party and narcing it out is one thing, but I would stay away from the smoke bombs and caltrops, that's just asking for trouble.

    Edit: I'm not trying to be the fun police here or piss on any rainbows, but haven't most MIT hacks been pretty harmless?

  • RaneadosRaneados Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    playing pranks on campus police is a poor idea

    because they are police

    and messing with police because they're doing their jobs isn't really a smart, clever, mature or funny thing to do

    it just makes you an asshole and a criminal

    Dubh wrote: »
    Rane is the future of ancient greek tradition
  • RaneadosRaneados Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    ANY sort of explosive, incendiary, smoke, chemical, or Irritant is going to be looked hard upon as at the VERY least possible expulsion grounds and at the highest level a form of terrorism

    do you realize how stupid this whole thing sounds?

    also the link doesn't work. What exactly was going on at this little gettogether

    Dubh wrote: »
    Rane is the future of ancient greek tradition
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Raneados wrote: »
    playing pranks on campus police is a poor idea

    because they are police

    and messing with police because they're doing their jobs isn't really a smart, clever, mature or funny thing to do

    it just makes you an asshole and a criminal

    They're not real police, though. They're just mall security with a power trip.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Bewildered_RoninBewildered_Ronin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If the campus police are doing something they should not, report them. However, that doesn't seem to be the case. Do not vandalize their property or use incendiary devices that may cause an escalated response. This entire idea of "getting back" at them for doing their job is stupid. They don't do this because they're petty asswipes on a power trip, even if that is what a lot of people think. They do this because it's their job and whether they like it or not they have to do it. Also, most campus cops are granted the same rights and regulations as REAL POLICE. It's not like a mall security guard. Your idea of rushing them is beyond idiotic, unless you like being hit, restrained and charged with Assault of A Police Officer amongst other potential charges.

    If you want to prank them and show that it's pointless to break up parties like this, then making up fake parties and publicly promoting them is the best way. Promote the same fake party as taking place at dozens and dozens of places. It will show them that they can't rely on that source of intel as valid anymore. Or y'know, you could have a party in an actual house or apartment and avoid this entirely stupid problem to begin with. Partying in an open/public place is just asking for trouble. Especially more so if it is a big party.

    Blog - Bewildered Ronin @ Blogspot | 24/7 streaming NPR Talk & BBC World - RadioIQ
    Steam ID - BewilderedRonin
    {_,.~o-0=| She's Half |=0-o~.,_}
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre @PixelateJake on TwitterRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Scalfin wrote:
    and perhaps have a person waiting at each accessway for the last of the cars to arrive before putting out caltrops or spike strips across the roads to make sure that the cars can't leave once they figure out what's going on.
    So, you want to damage their vehicles and possible cause an accident? Yeah, you're a cool dude.

    Setting up a fake party is one thing, endangering people and vadalism is another.

    Spec_Banner.png
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    Raneados wrote: »
    ANY sort of explosive, incendiary, smoke, chemical, or Irritant is going to be looked hard upon as at the VERY least possible expulsion grounds and at the highest level a form of terrorism

    do you realize how stupid this whole thing sounds?

    also the link doesn't work. What exactly was going on at this little gettogether

    Not much. Yearly mega party with free drinks. I wasmainly trying to link it so you could get an idea of the location:
    n9803904_32064176_7422.jpg n9803904_32064175_7121.jpg

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • RaneadosRaneados Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Raneados wrote: »
    playing pranks on campus police is a poor idea

    because they are police

    and messing with police because they're doing their jobs isn't really a smart, clever, mature or funny thing to do

    it just makes you an asshole and a criminal

    They're not real police, though. They're just mall security with a power trip.

    What is the name of the department

    if they're Private Security. And it sounds like it because they have guns, then they're a few steps up from "mall cops"

    Dubh wrote: »
    Rane is the future of ancient greek tradition
  • jasonlesterjasonlester Registered User
    edited October 2008
    Just organize a fake party, get someone to report it. Keep doing that. That's what I'd probably do.

  • RaneadosRaneados Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    sounds like an illegal gathering, underage drinking, public intoxication, noise violations, non sanctioned use of university property, contributing to the delinquency of minors

    plus you know

    anything else they'd care to name

    oh no your illegal gathering has been stopped THIS IS A TRAVESTY




    go rent a bar for a night

    Dubh wrote: »
    Rane is the future of ancient greek tradition
  • MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Campus cops are as far as I know 100% of the time real police. They have full jurisdiction and power, and screwing with them is a good way to get arrested and put in jail. I know how the campus cops worked on my campus, and I know what happened to people that tried to mess with them, and they are in jail now. This is really a bad idea.

    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Bewildered_RoninBewildered_Ronin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Scalfin wrote: »
    Raneados wrote: »
    playing pranks on campus police is a poor idea

    because they are police

    and messing with police because they're doing their jobs isn't really a smart, clever, mature or funny thing to do

    it just makes you an asshole and a criminal

    They're not real police, though. They're just mall security with a power trip.

    Yes, they are real police. They cannot call themselves Police unless they are REAL COPS. Otherwise the would have to be called Security.
    Ditto for MIT. We have real cops, including a patrol division, four detectives, and a crime prevention unit. Most of the cops are former Staties. The chief is the former colonel (head) of the Staties.
    ^ source

    Blog - Bewildered Ronin @ Blogspot | 24/7 streaming NPR Talk & BBC World - RadioIQ
    Steam ID - BewilderedRonin
    {_,.~o-0=| She's Half |=0-o~.,_}
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    And if it's anything like mine, they may not be real cops (ours are "Public Safety Officers"), but they are authorized to give legally binding fines and detain people for arrest by the city police, and any charge they bring is as good as if it were brought by the city police as far as the prosecutor and court is concerned - effectively inside the campus boundaries, they are cops. They also might have greater authority in some situations, as they're also upholding campus regulations which may be more restrictive than the law (on a dry campus, they can seize alcohol from students over 21, for example, and there may be an implied consent clause to cover searches on campus).

    If it'll get you in trouble with the real cops, don't pull it with campus police. The chief of our campus police was also an ex-cop who'd lost his badge for how he handled suspects - just as authorized and with a history of overstepping his authority. You messed with him and the people he trained at your own peril.

    Setting up a fake party is one thing. Don't lay prank traps or make it obvious it was a trick, just let the campus cops be the only ones to show up at the party. Smoke bombs are incendiary, and even if you can hold one in your hand safely, some laws don't make a distinction between a match a lit stick of dynamite, around law enforcement officers doubly so. Caltrops to damage their vehicles is a very serious crime as well.

    If you want to embarrass them, have a small gathering (2-4 people at most, so as not to attract attention) and discreetly catch them wasting time on camera. Let them waste resources chasing false reports and maybe they'll stop listening to them so much.

    Don't be the one to narc the party, either. Making a false complaint is actionable in some states, and while it's unlikely action will be taken (with nobody to arrest and no party to crash, the complaint may not be actionable at all - laws vary a lot on this, you can try looking it up or just hope for the best), you're already talking about multiple charges, something little like this can be tacked on and the judge won't even notice.

    Embarrassing the campus cops is a good way to ensure they'll step up efforts to break up parties, not convince them to ease up. Going through with your plan as you write sounds like multiple serious crimes, including assaulting officers and damaging police vehicles. I'm pretty sure these are both felonies. Add this after an incident likely to have included underage drinking among other related violations, and you're just asking for a crackdown on just about any sort of fun.

  • RaneadosRaneados Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    this is a HORRIBLE idea

    chances are there dudes are real cops and you're looking to damage their property, endanger their safety, waste their time and just basically attack them

    DO NOT DO THIS
    DO NOT DO THIS

    LET THIS GO
    BE MATURE


    how old are you that you actually want to spend your time with this stupid highschool crap

    Dubh wrote: »
    Rane is the future of ancient greek tradition
  • CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User
    edited October 2008
    LISTEN TO RANEADOS.

    I don't think the English language has the words to describe how mind numbingly cretinous the OP's idea is.

    steam_sig.png
  • NightDragonNightDragon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Doing anything even remotely similar to what you've suggested is a really, really bad idea. Don't do this. Don't do anything like this.

    Spike strips? Are you fucking kidding me?

    rotate.php BloggerLink.gifTumblrLink.gif
  • RaneadosRaneados Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    so i researched your campus

    Brandeis University
    The University police patrol the campus on a regular basis and monitor closed circuit television coverage of specific public areas and parking lots.

    The jurisdiction of the Brandeis University Police officers includes the Main Campus, the Angleside and Charles River Road Residence Halls, property on Turner Street and Sibley Road and any other property belonging to the University.

    All University police officers are warranted under Chapter 22 C Section 63 of the Massachusetts General Laws after receiving formalized training in police sciences at the Massachusetts State Police Academy and/or the Massachusetts Police Training Committee. Each officer receives further specialized training through various federal, state, and local Criminal Justice Training Centers. The department continually sponsors in-service training programs for its members to keep them abreast of the latest in medical and police science techniques.


    these are REAL COPS

    DO NOT FUCK WITH THEM

    Dubh wrote: »
    Rane is the future of ancient greek tradition
  • Bewildered_RoninBewildered_Ronin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    NVM, I thought you were from MIT when you mentioned getting with some MIT students. It seemed weird that such a dumb idea was coming from someone from MIT and I was wondering how you even had enough time to waste on such a thing with such stringent academic schedules.
    The department, consisting of a chief, four sergeants, thirteen police officers, two security officers, and four parking monitors, monitor the campus 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

    All University police officers are warranted under Chapter 22 C Section 63 of the Massachusetts General Laws after receiving formalized training in police sciences at the Massachusetts State Police Academy and/or the Massachusetts Police Training Committee.
    ^ source

    They are 100% completely, 100%, really official Police Officers.

    -edit- beaten to it! drat... :P

    Blog - Bewildered Ronin @ Blogspot | 24/7 streaming NPR Talk & BBC World - RadioIQ
    Steam ID - BewilderedRonin
    {_,.~o-0=| She's Half |=0-o~.,_}
  • Drew_9999Drew_9999 Registered User
    edited October 2008
    That's like 30 feet away from a parking lot. Seriously, there are about four trees between the X and the lot. How the hell did you expect to get away with that? That party deserved to get busted.

  • CarcharodontosaurusCarcharodontosaurus Registered User
    edited October 2008
    Also, and let me be clear about this, is the OP asking how the remote detonator on an IED is made?

    Are you completely fucking insane?!

    steam_sig.png
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    ... and you say you're in college? Grow the fuck up.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Bewildered_RoninBewildered_Ronin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Also, and let me be clear about this, is the OP asking how the remote detonator on an IED is made?

    Are you completely fucking insane?!

    Fun fact about IED remote detonation: The technology killing soldiers in Iraq today was given to the IRA by MI5, in collaboration with the FBI, to help stem the amount of civilian casualties. I'm not kidding.
    British intelligence services, in an effort to control IRA techniques through collaboration, secretly passed along a solution for the problem: a new technology—the infrared flash—that could be acquired only in America. Fulton’s handlers offered to facilitate an undercover IRA shopping mission to New York, and an MI5 officer flew across the Atlantic on the Concorde to make arrangements with American services in advance of Fulton’s arrival. “This was a terrorist organization operating in the United States,” Fulton told me, and it required cooperation. “It was a pretty big thing.”

    Fulton traveled to New York with several thousand dollars, met secretly with his handlers, arranged the purchase, and returned to Northern Ireland, ready to create a deadly new weapon. The IRA embraced the innovation, and it worked so well that other terrorist groups soon took notice and adapted the infrared photo-sensor bomb to their own wars. Today, Iraqi insurgents wield it against British and American troops in Iraq.
    - source

    Blog - Bewildered Ronin @ Blogspot | 24/7 streaming NPR Talk & BBC World - RadioIQ
    Steam ID - BewilderedRonin
    {_,.~o-0=| She's Half |=0-o~.,_}
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So, why did I receive only one report for this?

    I'm more than halfway tempted to infract everyone who posted in this thread without reporting it.

This discussion has been closed.