Options

Sorry, You're Not A [Chat]er

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hey I'm smart!

I just don't know/care much about philosophy.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Hey I'm smart!

Shut up, stupidhead.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hey I'm smart!

It's a literary allusion :P

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The Martian voltages are overpowering.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    I never have any idea what Podly is talking about and his avatar frightens me.

I understand him fine.

And that is the reason I am afraid.

ooooone of ussssssssss

Also, I've had weird productivity these last few weeks. For a few hours, I am super-productive, and then for a few hours I can't do anything intellectually challenging. I've fallen soooo far behind on my translating, because if I schedule Greek in a slot where I'm unproductive, I get like three verses done. Ugh.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    What does "inscribed" mean in geometry? If something is inscribed in a triangle, it means that all the sides touch the perimeter of the circle, correct?

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Podly wrote: »
    Also, I've had weird productivity these last few weeks. For a few hours, I am super-productive, and then for a few hours I can't do anything intellectually challenging. I've fallen soooo far behind on my translating, because if I schedule Greek in a slot where I'm unproductive, I get like three verses done. Ugh.
    It’s the cocaine.

stilist on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    There's a pencil by my lab workstation. I have no idea how it got here. It's not mine, and I pretty much never use pencils. I'm getting creeped out right now.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It means it gets a +10 to isoscles and a purple aura

Ludious on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    There's a pencil by my lab workstation. I have no idea how it got here. It's not mine, and I pretty much never use pencils. I'm getting creeped out right now.

Oh sorry, that's mine.

*snags pencil*

Was lookin' all over for this damn thing...

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Ludious wrote: »
    It means it gets a +10 to isoscles and a purple aura

*snortgigglecough*

Uh, I mean...NEEEERD!

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

Does it have teeth marks on it? If so, you're being stalked. You should post a thread in H/A then call the authorities.

Ludious on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    What does "inscribed" mean in geometry? If something is inscribed in a triangle, it means that all the sides touch the perimeter of the circle, correct?
    You mean if a circle were inscribed in a triangle? Then yea each side of the triangle would be tangent to the circle and the circle would be inside the triangle.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    stilist wrote: »
    It’s the cocaine.

In a sense, you might be right. I've been drinking waaay too much coffee lately, because I can only get like 5-6 hours of sleep a night.

Damn work schedule.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Apparently I just haven't gotten around to any of Pound's works.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

It means that the inside shape is as big as it can be without going outside the bounding figure.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Yami answer my pm bitchboy

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Bama wrote: »
    You mean if a circle were inscribed in a triangle? Then yea each side of the triangle would be tangent to the circle and the circle would be inside the triangle.

Well, I was thinking a triangle inside a circle, but yeah, same idea.

Thanks.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Yami explained it better.

Bama on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hey I'm smart!

Man, there are people who get two or three doctorates without having read a non-technical book beyond "See Spot Run".

As for me, I just have trashy taste and therefore am remiss in reading classics. For instance, I've still never read "Ulysses". It's actually honestly good, correct? Like, people aren't just pulling my leg so I'll plow through a couple hundred pages of stream-of-consciousness?

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Hm, trouble spotted.

stilist on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Apparently I just haven't gotten around to any of Pound's works.

You should. His lyric poetry is some of the best modern poetry there is. Pick up a book called Personae. It's fantastic.

@Yami: Don't all the angles of the interior figure have to be touching (tangential?) to the exterior figure?

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    You should. His lyric poetry is some of the best modern poetry there is. Pick up a book called Personae. It's fantastic.

I've jotted the name down and I'll try to remember it when the semester is up, but I make no promises.

That's the problem with being an English major, it's hard to find the time or desire to read during the semester with so much assigned as it is.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    not many people around on friday are there?

im scared to post now lest i get infracted for something else stupid and then perma banned

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Hey I'm smart!

Man, there are people who get two or three doctorates without having read a non-technical book beyond "See Spot Run".

As for me, I just have trashy taste and therefore am remiss in reading classics. For instance, I've still never read "Ulysses". It's actually honestly good, correct? Like, people aren't just pulling my leg so I'll plow through a couple hundred pages of stream-of-consciousness?

Yes, most definitely. You have to put in a LOT of work though, to get something out of it. The thing is, being a good reader is like being good at math: you have to put in a lot of grunt work to tackle the big problems. For some reason, when it comes to language skills, people like to think that they are somehow equal to everyone else, and see no reason why everything should not be accessible to them.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I've jotted the name down and I'll try to remember it when the semester is up, but I make no promises.

That's the problem with being an English major, it's hard to find the time or desire to read during the semester with so much assigned as it is.

This is definitely true.

Here

Read this

Erat Hora
    by Ezra Pound (1885-1972)

"Thank you, whatever comes." And then she turned
    And, as the ray of sun on hanging flowers
    Fades when the wind hath lifted them aside,
    Went swiftly from me. Nay, whatever comes
    One hour was sunlit and the most high gods
    May not make boast of any better thing
    Than to have watched that hour as it passed.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    job fairz
    i kinda think i look nice in a suit
    even though i do not like wearing a suit

As long as you aren't barrel chested, most men look great in a suit. I fucking kill in a suit, because I have a good frame for it. I have just enough muscle so that I look masculine, but slim enough so that I look trim and svelt.

Now if I could just have there be actual muscle when I took off the suit :P

lift and get enough protein

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I think I don’t get it.

I feel like there’s supposed to be more to the poem than just the nice sentimental image.

stilist on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    job fairz
    i kinda think i look nice in a suit
    even though i do not like wearing a suit

As long as you aren't barrel chested, most men look great in a suit. I fucking kill in a suit, because I have a good frame for it. I have just enough muscle so that I look masculine, but slim enough so that I look trim and svelt.

Now if I could just have there be actual muscle when I took off the suit :P

lift and get enough protein

Thanatos and Tube have been summoned. They shall soon be here to give you expert level fitness advice. And then they'll beat you until candy comes out. For fun.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    @Yami: Don't all the angles of the interior figure have to be touching (tangential?) to the exterior figure?
    The intersections are usually tangent but not necessarily so. One example would be a right triangle inscribed in a square, the two "legs" of the triangle will be coincident with two sides of the square.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Thanatos and Tube have been summoned. They shall soon be here to give you expert level fitness advice. And then they'll beat you until candy comes out.
    :winky:

Bama on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I think I don’t get it.

I feel like there’s supposed to be more to the poem than just the nice sentimental image.

I like it for it's metrical achievements. The trochaic (stress on the first beat) substitution of "Fades" and the long accent of "Passed" are perfect examples of metrical mimesis. It's also about the poet's unique ability to place himself in the moment/eternity, which Pound is considering as Godlike.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Allo peoples.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Vera, Mike.

Bama on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hey mike you filthy whore

looking forward to winning your monies

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yes, most definitely. You have to put in a LOT of work though, to get something out of it. The thing is, being a good reader is like being good at math: you have to put in a lot of grunt work to tackle the big problems. For some reason, when it comes to language skills, people like to think that they are somehow equal to everyone else, and see no reason why everything should not be accessible to them.
    I may start on that then, I've been running out of other works. Plus, recently finishing "We" has made me more interested in figuring out authorial intent and allusions to other works rather than simply absorbing.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I may start on that then, I've been running out of other works. Plus, recently finishing "We" has made me more interested in figuring out authorial intent and allusions to other works rather than simply absorbing.

Read A Portrait of the Author as a Young Man first. It's a prerequisite.

@Mike: yo yo

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It never fails that when I actually make it to class on time, it's been cancelled.

On the bright side, breakfast went really well. :D

Kilroy on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hey mike you filthy whore

looking forward to winning your monies

it'll be good to play poker; i haven't in a while

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I think I don’t get it.

I like it for it's metrical achievements. The trochaic (stress on the first beat) substitution of "Fades" and the long accent of "Passed" are perfect examples of metrical mimesis. It's also about the poet's unique ability to place himself in the moment/eternity, which Pound is considering as Godlike.

It is a rather beautiful poem. I knew something was up metrically, but I couldn't put my finger on it. I'm kind of stuck in iambic pentameter mode right now from all the sonnets I am reading for one of my classes.

Inquisitor on
This discussion has been closed.