Options

Sorry, You're Not A [Chat]er

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    jes is a wrote: »
    Who would have though you can get viruses from Limewire?

Everyone.

I run Limewire quite often, and I have never had a virus sneak through. Of course, I also run it behind a firewall, active anti-virus shield, spyware scanner, and am discriminate in the files I pick to the point I could probably spot the obvious virus file from looking at it.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

No one ever shared this vital piece of information for me because none of you all care.

Good thing I have OneCare it actually cares about me and wants my computer to live a long and prosperous life.

Its not our fault that we can't discuss the how to of piracy on these boards.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    P2P is almost as dirty as IRC these days.

maybe newsgroups.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jes is ajes is a __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    DeShadowC wrote: »

No one ever shared this vital piece of information for me because none of you all care.

Good thing I have OneCare it actually cares about me and wants my computer to live a long and prosperous life.

That is why there is a thing known as aim.

jes is a on
    1154928402_iBankai-1-1-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008

gmail > aim

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I think even the sidways talk about the P word going on right now is maybe a bit too much.

Lets talk about PONIES

Ludious on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

Eww. AIM. Eww.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I have a gmail too.

jes is a on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Nova_C wrote: »
    The XP registration thing wasn't always there. That's where the little program that verifies you have a Genuine Windows install for updates comes in. That also wasn't always there.

I'm not sure when the registration thing was added, but certainly not until after SP1. Anyway, for the record, Vista must be activated via the net or phone.

Also, there are two kinds of licenses for non-commercial installs. OEM means it's tied to that computer and that OS can only be installed on that computer. You can get a non-OEM OS retail box that you can only install on one computer at a time, but can be installed as often as you like on any computer.

Or you end up with your school's site license, which can be used an infinite number of times.

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Ludious wrote: »
    I think even the sidways talk about the P word going on right now is maybe a bit too much.

Lets talk about PONIES

We're allowed to discuss whether we do or don't and why we should be allowed or not, but not the how tos.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Aegis wrote: »

Everyone.

I run Limewire quite often, and I have never had a virus sneak through. Of course, I also run it behind a firewall, active anti-virus shield, spyware scanner, and am discriminate in the files I pick to the point I could probably spot the obvious virus file from looking at it.

I don't have a single bit of security enabled. I changed the password to our wireless modem and that's it. Unencrypted and no password to access our internets. I've been running like this for nearly and year and I haven't had a single virus or incident.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I like ponies!

radroadkill on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    The XP registration thing wasn't always there. That's where the little program that verifies you have a Genuine Windows install for updates comes in. That also wasn't always there.

I'm not sure when the registration thing was added, but certainly not until after SP1. Anyway, for the record, Vista must be activated via the net or phone.

Also, there are two kinds of licenses for non-commercial installs. OEM means it's tied to that computer and that OS can only be installed on that computer. You can get a non-OEM OS retail box that you can only install on one computer at a time, but can be installed as often as you like on any computer.

Or you end up with your school's site license, which can be used an infinite number of times.

We have the key on a sticker on every computer at work. I'm sure you can put two and two together.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Lets talk about PONIES

We're allowed to discuss whether we do or don't and why we should be allowed or not, but not the how tos.

Not to mention not all uses of a particular program are innately P. There are legitimate uses to these pieces of software. And depending on the country (yay Canada), legally it's not even P (though that doesn't matter with the forum being located in the US).

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Everyone.

I don't have a single bit of security enabled. I changed the password to our wireless modem and that's it. Unencrypted and no password to access our internets. I've been running like this for nearly and year and I haven't had a single virus or incident.

Same and haven't had a virus in 7 years. I do run process guard though, but that's more so I can control things better.

I'm sure my gmail is easy to figure out, since I use the same username for everything.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I like ponies as well.

But you know what's better than a pony?

UNICORNS

Ludious on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    All hail G-Mail!

Jokerman on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    All I can say about the big P is that torrents are the way to be.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    MikeMan wrote: »
    I still manage to blow the minds of some university students when I use the alt + tab feature.

Then I realize why mac has such a following.

Guess you don't really know Macs at all, do you.

Oh I know macs well enough but I also know that with the exception of some of the older fans a lot of people use them because having two buttons to click with is just too complicated.

No, you don't "know" that at all. You just assume based on limited anecdotal evidence and speak from ignorance.

How on earth can you deduce that my statement is incorrect? Are you really trying to deny that a lot of the appeal of the mac OS is that it doesn't require much knowledge at all to run?

The fact that it's simpler does not mean people who use macs don't know anything about computers.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Lets talk about PONIES

Not to mention not all uses of a particular program are innately P. There are legitimate uses to these pieces of software. And depending on the country (yay Canada), legally it's not even P (though that doesn't matter with the forum being located in the US).

Lets be honest no one uses limewire for legal reasons.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Lets talk about PONIES

Lets be honest no one uses limewire for legal reasons.

It's legal in Canada.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited October 2008

It's legal in Canada.

Completely? No matter what you're downloading or uploading?

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

Well, I didn't specify, but I meant non-commercial, non-bulk, non-whateverthefuckthoselicensesarecalled. Just a normal residential home use license.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

It's legal in Canada.

I think it's legal to download something for personal use, even if it's copyrighted, but I'm not certain.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Feral wrote: »
    Every Mac "power user" I've ever met either uses Bootcamp, or thinks that "power user" means "I know keyboard shortcuts and how to share files."

Anecdotes are fun.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ponies, with the exception of Shetlands because they're essentially dogs with hooves, are crap.

Quid on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    aww, ponies

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

It's legal in Canada.

In the case of music the Supreme Court ruled it's legal to download any copyrighted material through P2P. They also ruled that passively uploading said music (passive as defined to be simply placing the music in a sharing folder) is legal, but actively uploading (advertising that you have this music here available) is not.

They didn't rule on Data transfers, but there hasn't been a case yet brought before the courts so right now that's the only grey area.

Plus, most of this is deemed legal because we also have levies on all our recordable media (blank CDs, MP3 players, etc.) that pay royalties to artists.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I like ponies as well.

UNICORNS

I love you.

radroadkill on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    untitled2.jpg

seeing eye ponies have to wear sneakers inside to gain traction on smooth surfaces

<3

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    aww, ponies
    Are crap.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Quid wrote: »
    Ponies, with the exception of Shetlands because they're essentially dogs with hooves, are crap.

I am leaving you and also not picking you up from the gym for saying that again.

radroadkill on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I like ponies as well.

UNICORNS

I love you.

I love Unicorns.

<3
    :rotate:

jes is a on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Hey look, it's someone who loves crap.

Edit: And I don't mean jes here.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I like ponies as well.

UNICORNS

I love you.

I love Unicorns.

<3
    :rotate:

<3

APPARENTLY I need a new husband again. One who doesn't have WRONG opinions about ponies.

radroadkill on
  • Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I like ponies as well.

UNICORNS

I love you.

What about ponycorns? Tiny horses with horns!

YamiNoSenshi on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

It's legal in Canada.

They have never had pirates there.

So that means there is no one looking for booty.

But how can such a thing happen?

No pirates.

This makes me sad.

=*(

jes is a on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Feral wrote: »
    Every Mac "power user" I've ever met either uses Bootcamp, or thinks that "power user" means "I know keyboard shortcuts and how to share files."

Anecdotes are fun.

Yeah. They really are. Sometimes they're even useful. Care to provide a counterpoint?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I like ponies as well.

UNICORNS

I love you.

What about ponycorns? Tiny horses with horns!

Made me think about popcorn and candy corn and in turn edible marshmallow like horses.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    japan wrote: »
    Even your mom knows you can get a virus from limewire. Too bad she didn't know the same about Feral.

To be fair, that's not so much a virus as some kind of fungus.

HEY!

I am many things, but one thing I am emphatically not is contagious.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
This discussion has been closed.