Options

Sorry, You're Not A [Chat]er

• Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Feral wrote: »
    They're great computers for casual users and developers because... hey, UNIX architecture.

They're not so great for power users.

This is pretty much entirely false. Unless, of course, you define "power" users as windows users.

Then yes.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    I'm stuck on I know PCs. I know how to build, use, and fix them. I know multiple OSs on them, and what causes weird things to happen. Throw me on a mac and its like o_O

At this point, Macs and PCs are similar enough that a well-schooled PC user/builder/fixer/geek can spend three days on a Mac and get completely up to speed.

Bonus points if that PC user knows *NIX.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    jes is ajes is a __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    I know the basics of macs, just due to my job. The number of people with a mac, and no clue how to use them, who then call their cable company for help would amaze you.

They call their tv provider for help?
    O.o

jes is a on
    1154928402_iBankai-1-1-1.jpg
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ludious wrote: »
    Macs are awesome. I mean..you can play Starcraft on it..and the Diablos..

and Steam

..oh wait.

(viva la pc)
    (yes i know boot camp)

I'm stuck on I know PCs. I know how to build, use, and fix them. I know multiple OSs on them, and what causes weird things to happen. Throw me on a mac and its like o_O

Really? I mean. It's not hard to figure out the Mac OS. Seeing as how if you wanted, say, to open calculator, the Mac OS knows how to turn "A DURRR A DURR" and caveman like pawing at the keyboard, into "open calculator".

Really. If you can't understand Mac OS, you might just be too smart.

Sure, that's basic usage. Now build one from parts, install the OS, and test all of the parts to ensure they're performing optimally.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    jes is a wrote: »
    I know the basics of macs, just due to my job. The number of people with a mac, and no clue how to use them, who then call their cable company for help would amaze you.

O.o

Internet provider.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    fuck, im almost all better except for this cough, one of those itchy "it feels like there's something in the back of my throat"-type coughs.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

O.o

Probably broadband problems. So it's impossible to tell them how to fix such a problem since they can't perform basic task on their systems.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Well you aren't going to be putting a mac together from parts to begin with.

Bama on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    MikeMan wrote: »
    They're great computers for casual users and developers because... hey, UNIX architecture.

This is pretty much entirely false. Unless, of course, you define "power" users as windows users.

Then yes.

"Hey, this cool game/app/device just came out for Windows, but there's no Mac version! I'm glad I have Bootcamp so I can use it!"

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ugh. Shitty rainy day.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I've been using a PC for like thirteen years and I'm reliant on them. They're all I know, and I know a pretty decent amount. But I would still like to try a Mac. Even if I got a laptop, though, it'd be a ThinkPad. I don't know if I'd buy two laptops.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Macs are awesome. I mean..you can play Starcraft on it..and the Diablos..

and Steam

..oh wait.

(viva la pc)
    (yes i know boot camp)

Really? I mean. It's not hard to figure out the Mac OS. Seeing as how if you wanted, say, to open calculator, the Mac OS knows how to turn "A DURRR A DURR" and caveman like pawing at the keyboard, into "open calculator".

Really. If you can't understand Mac OS, you might just be too smart.

Sure, that's basic usage. Now build one from parts, install the OS, and test all of the parts to ensure they're performing optimally.

Can you even build one from parts? Doesn't Steve Jobs fall out of the sky with a team of crack ninja lawyers for that?

Ludious on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2008

Really, whether a Mac would be good for you is... well, your decision metric can be described by Kanye:

like old folks pissin'
    i guess it all Depends

Organichu on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

At this point, Macs and PCs are similar enough that a well-schooled PC user/builder/fixer/geek can spend three days on a Mac and get completely up to speed.

Bonus points if that PC user knows *NIX.

the aura is mystery is how apple maintains their brand. When push comes ot shove 90% of the crap in there is exactly the same.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

O.o

Internet provider.

OH!

So they figure since those are the people giving them internets that they can also fix their computer when it no work good for them.

I get it.

jes is a on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    MikeMan wrote: »

Then yes.

"Hey, this cool game/app/device just came out for Windows, but there's no Mac version! I'm glad I have Bootcamp so I can use it!"
    :lol: you don't know how many times around my office I heard something like "Yea, this is the new macbook. Check out Parallels!"

Bama on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I get that feeling even thinking about using a mac.
    I have been using a pc since like 93, and I won't ever never go to mac.

I posted in chat a couple of days ago about how it took me a good ten minutes to figure out how to switch on Cesca's iMac.

japan on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Bama wrote: »
    Well you aren't going to be putting a mac together from parts to begin with.

So you pay more for someone to put a computer together, when you could do it for less with a PC.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Every Mac "power user" I've ever met either uses Bootcamp, or thinks that "power user" means "I know keyboard shortcuts and how to share files."

Feral on

• Options
    edited October 2008
    Macs are for fags

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'd use a mac if one got bought for me. But honestly I'll probably be a Windows person forever.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Ugh. Shitty rainy day.

Why is it shitty rain?

Is it all cold and dark outside?

jes is a on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Macs are tough to customize and tweak obsessively unless you know UNIX.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Macs can edit the fuck out of videos though.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008

O.o

Internet provider.

OH!

So they figure since those are the people giving them internets that they can also fix their computer when it no work good for them.

I get it.

And get mad when I tell them to call their OEM, Original Equipment Manufacture.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    japan wrote: »

I posted in chat a couple of days ago about how it took me a good ten minutes to figure out how to switch on Cesca's iMac.

How did you end up turning it on?

Was it all hard and difficult?

jes is a on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Where did youacquire this Reuben?

There's a lunch deli one town over that makes an awesome one served on wax paper with your choice of chips or Greek style Pasta Salad, but you can get a toltaly decent one from arby's.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Apparently the switch was on the back.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Jokerman wrote: »

There's a lunch deli one town over that makes an awesome one served on wax paper with your choice of chips or Greek style Pasta Salad, but you can get a toltaly decent one from arby's.

nothing decent comes from arby's

except curly fries

also chicken strips but i dont think they make those anymore

i don't know i haven't been to an arby's in forever

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Gooey wrote: »
    Macs are for fags

This too but I try not to let my blatant hatred cloud my view. Macs are just impractical because they essentially hide all functionality to prevent novice users from making mistakes. Which I suppose is fine because it can be worked around. Hell the first thing I do on a windows OS is disable as much as possible.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008

O.o

Internet provider.

OH!

I get it.

That is a typical dumbass for you.

Getting all pissy when you want to help them out by telling them the proper channels to direct their problem at.

Well fuck them, and let them call their cable company for help with their puters.

jes is a on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I have no problem with macs. But I'm sorry, I am a gamer first and foremost. And boot camp is not an answer for me. At all. Why drop 3 or 4 grand on a mac that can run windows and windows games OK when I can build a 1600 dollar pc that will run any given pc game on the highest settings?

But I do love my iphone.

Ludious on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

My friend had this issue with my PC recently.

I bought a Samsung monitor with no power button. It has a little touch-sensitive power... area that is indistinguishable from any other area (except a very faint gray-on-black power symbol). You just have to know to press your finger against the virtually-featureless black plastic in the corner.

Feral on

• Options
    edited October 2008
    Jokerman wrote: »

nothing decent comes from arby's

except curly fries

also chicken strips but i dont think they make those anymore

i don't know i haven't been to an arby's in forever

Hm weird I tried to smack you in the face but nothing happened. Arby's is a classy and delicious establishment.

Just get something other than a roast beef sandwich. The Market Fresh line is amazing and the subs are also quite good.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008

O.o

Internet provider.

OH!

I get it.

Getting all pissy when you want to help them out by telling them the proper channels to direct their problem at.

Well fuck them, and let them call their cable company for help with their puters.

No please don't let them, then I have to talk to them.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    But I do love my iphone.

Android, fuckers!

If I had known the Android was so close to release, I wouldn't have renewed my Verizon contract in April. :(

Feral on

• Options
    edited October 2008

My friend had this issue with my PC recently.

I bought a Samsung monitor with no power button. It has a little touch-sensitive power... area that is indistinguishable from any other area (except a very faint gray-on-black power symbol). You just have to know to press your finger against the virtually-featureless black plastic in the corner.

Sorta like turning on a PS3 by rubbing your finger across the on/off marker.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Macs are for fags

This too but I try not to let my blatant hatred cloud my view. Macs are just impractical because they essentially hide all functionality to prevent novice users from making mistakes. Which I suppose is fine because it can be worked around. Hell the first thing I do on a windows OS is disable as much as possible.

Seriously. No thanks, Vista, I don't need you to remind me of my next prostate exam with data you mined from my Office documents.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

O.o

Internet provider.

OH!

I get it.

No please don't let them, then I have to talk to them.

What you work for their cable company?

jes is a on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I <3 the OED.

Inquisitor on
This discussion has been closed.