Huh, thought no new threads

Fuga on
  • Options
    GreenPowerRangerGreenPowerRanger Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    TyrantCow wrote: »
    Icemopper wrote: »
    Oh I remember.

People, don't get excited about playing it late tonight, or even all day tomorrow. This is Valve. By Thursday they could easily say 11:59 PM Thursday PST. There is no way we're playing this all day tomorrow.

*sticks fingers in ears*

LA LA LA LA LA LA LA
    CAN'T WAIT FOR TOMORROW

What's happening tomorrow?

you dont belong here.

GreenPowerRanger on
  • Options
    DeadOnArrivalDeadOnArrival Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh I remember.

People, don't get excited about playing it late tonight, or even all day tomorrow. This is Valve. By Thursday they could easily say 11:59 PM Thursday PST. There is no way we're playing this all day tomorrow.

*sticks fingers in ears*

LA LA LA LA LA LA LA
    CAN'T WAIT FOR TOMORROW

you dont belong here.

Is it something good?

DeadOnArrival on
    2zz3vp4.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Peewi wrote: »
    I just saw an image of a loading screen and it's pretty great.
    It's a movie poster that shows the player names as though they were the names of actors.

look to me like we should probably be playing on normal for the time being as they never won when on advanced or expert...

GreenPowerRanger on
  • Options
    ArminasArminas Student of Life SF, CARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh I remember.

*sticks fingers in ears*

LA LA LA LA LA LA LA
    CAN'T WAIT FOR TOMORROW

you dont belong here.

Is it something good?

For shame! You could read the op, but to save you some time... it's the demo release. But who knows what time it actually drops.

Arminas on
  • Options
    DeadOnArrivalDeadOnArrival Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Arminas wrote: »
    Oh I remember.

*sticks fingers in ears*

LA LA LA LA LA LA LA
    CAN'T WAIT FOR TOMORROW

you dont belong here.

Is it something good?

For shame! You could read the op, but to save you some time... it's the demo release. But who knows what time it actually drops.

Oh that. Well, that isn't so big. I'll pass.

DeadOnArrival on
    2zz3vp4.jpg
  • Options
    UberEvUberEv Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    When are they sending out these codes today? The wait for these things is killing me! I'll feel so much safer once I have a code.

UberEv on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Fuga wrote: »
    Huh, thought no new threads

Yeah it's pretty crazy what getting mod permission can do for you nowadays.

UberEv on
  • Options
    FroggyPFroggyP Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Could I get invited to join in on the group?
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/FroggyP

FroggyP on
    PSN: AnalogSoul
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    UberEv wrote: »
    When are they sending out these codes today? The wait for these things is killing me! I'll feel so much safer once I have a code.

I know I feel the same way. Im anxiously awaiting. If I dont get it Ill fuckin kill somebody >.>

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So when can we expect to download the demo today?

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Stragint wrote: »
    So when can we expect to download the demo today?

Hahahahaha

/whipes tear from eye

Hahahahahahaha

Man, I wouldn't wait till midnight either.

Smashism on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So when can we expect to download the demo tomorrow?

Friday

MrDelish on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I just want the code at least. If I can get that I dont mind waiting until friday. Only bad thing is that Gears 2 comes out and I dont know how I well I can balance these 2.

mastrius on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    MrDelish wrote: »

Friday

But.. you never specified WHICH FRIDAY! (oh no demo release in 2012)

UberEv on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Friday

Why Friday when they say the DL will start today?

Stragint on
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    mastrius wrote: »
    I just want the code at least. If I can get that I dont mind waiting until friday. Only bad thing is that Gears 2 comes out and I dont know how I well I can balance these 2.

Do what I am doing. Don't sleep. Half-ass midterms. Blow off relationships.
    It is the only way.

Smashism on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Friday

Did they say today? Everything I've seen said the 6th.

Which is still tomorrow.

MrDelish on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Smashism wrote: »
    mastrius wrote: »

Do what I am doing. Don't sleep. Half-ass midterms. Blow off relationships.
    It is the only way.

Heheh...thats the only way to possibly play the ungodly amount of games that have come out and are STILL coming out this year.

mastrius on
  • Options
    dmaurodmauro Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Forar wrote: »
    dmauro wrote: »
    So since this is a Steam game does that mean that every time I join a game I have to download 200MB is custom MP3 sound effects first?

Why would you ever do that? Disabling downloads of custom sound files is the first thing you do when you first start a Source game.

Is this in the game options or Steam options? I wasn't aware this existed either, though I haven't played much of anything online other than TF2 on Steam, and that was only a small amount here and there.
    No it is not an in-game or Steam option, or at least it wasn't the last time I tried to play Counter-Strike without spending ten minutes trying to find a server that didn't have download requirements. You have to add lines to a config file, but I get varying reports from google about what works and one time the PA forums gave me the right code to put in my config file, but this was all before SteamCloud and one computer later and I was back to being stuck searching for non-obnoxious servers.

It should be an option. It is not an option. It drives me crazy.

dmauro on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Friday

Did they say today? Everything I've seen said the 6th.

Which is still tomorrow.

Yea, at least Game Stop is doing it today.

Reserve Left for Dead and receive early access to the demo. The early access will start on 11/6/08 and will end on 11/11/08. Offer valid only while supplies last.

In-Store and Online Customers: Codes and instructions will be emailed beginning 11/5/08. You must provide a valid e-mail address at time of online order or in-store reservation in order to receive an early access code.

Stragint on

• Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So since this is a Steam game does that mean that every time I join a game I have to download 200MB is custom MP3 sound effects first?

Why would you ever do that? Disabling downloads of custom sound files is the first thing you do when you first start a Source game.

Is this in the game options or Steam options? I wasn't aware this existed either, though I haven't played much of anything online other than TF2 on Steam, and that was only a small amount here and there.
    No it is not an in-game or Steam option, or at least it wasn't the last time I tried to play Counter-Strike without spending ten minutes trying to find a server that didn't have download requirements. You have to add lines to a config file, but I get varying reports from google about what works and one time the PA forums gave me the right code to put in my config file, but this was all before SteamCloud and one computer later and I was back to being stuck searching for non-obnoxious servers.

This is simply not true. I don't know about CS, but I'm looking at TF2 right now and there's an option to allow all downloads, disable sound downloads, or disable all downloads. If it's in TF2 I'd be happy to guess it's in L4D as well.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    To complement RPS's previous post about going through the game co-op, they've now got another massive post up about what the competitive "Versus" mode is like. The conclusion seems to be that it's also very fitting and awesome.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008/11/05/the-livid-dead-l4d-versus-mode

subedii on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Friday at 11:59pm

Arminas on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Okay, tangentally related to L4D;

My mic has finally died on me. I was using a Logitech Headset I'd had for a good 2-3 years where one headphone had died. Rather than junking it, I just put vent/game sound through my speakers and would continue using the mic by wearing the headphones around my neck. Ghetto, sure, but effective and strangely comfortable.

Now I need to look into a replacement. Dead headphone aside, I've always liked Logitech ones, and figure I'll probably go with them again. I've checked Best Buy and they've got what appear to be some quality ones on hand, from cheap to nearly $100 after taxes.

Considering that I want this more for the mic than the headphones, any recommendations? I suppose I could just get any old headset and do the same thing, as I like being able to have a movie or show on in the background while messing around in a game. I use ventrillo constantly with WoW (and soon, L4D), so I intend to get one today or tomorrow most likely, which rules out waiting on something shipped. Also, Ebay seems to have lots of good deals, but they're all refurbished, which I think I'll sidestep for now.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I have these. They are fantastic. So fantastic.

So very much fantastic.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Next week

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So, I know you can play this game 4 player co-op against the cpu as the survivors, or 4 vs 4 survivors vs infected, but can you play as 4 player co-op as the infected against cpu survivors?

Not that it's a big deal, and maybe it wouldn't work well or anything, I'm just curious.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    So, I know you can play this game 4 player co-op against the cpu as the survivors, or 4 vs 4 survivors vs infected, but can you play as 4 player co-op as the infected against cpu survivors?

Not that it's a big deal, and maybe it wouldn't work well or anything, I'm just curious.

They've never mentioned anything like that, so I doubt it. Probably wouldn't be too difficult to add in since the AI's already capable enough to play the game alongside you, but I expect it would be boring to be honest. AI are never as inventive as humans, and the whole point of playing the infected is to let out your inner griefer and really mess up someone play by being a devious git. I'm not sure I'd get the same kind of satisfaction from foiling a bot.

subedii on
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    man, i wish i didnt have so many tests next week.

blue dotting this

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    subedii wrote: »

This is simply not true. I don't know about CS, but I'm looking at TF2 right now and there's an option to allow all downloads, disable sound downloads, or disable all downloads. If it's in TF2 I'd be happy to guess it's in L4D as well.

I was about to say, it was its been a feature for a while, you cant have played TF2 for some time.. shame on you.

also it occurs to me that steam is kinda what makes valve so successful.. sure their games are damn awesome but steam really makes it special, ease of access n they've thought of all the things which piss people off and have games they didn't make as well :) they sure are clever.

GreenPowerRanger on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I read the 411 hands-on with 4v4. And I couldn't help but think, "Too bad the boomer can't be thrown like a living bomb by the tank".

Arminas on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I read the 411 hands-on with 4v4. And I couldn't help but think, "Too bad the boomer can't be thrown like a living bomb by the tank".

That would cause so much hilarity.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    Dr.ObliviousDr.Oblivious Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

If I remember correctly, they can jump off the tops of buildings to the same effect.

Dr.Oblivious on
    Eve Name: Locke Ateid
    Steam Name: Dr.Oblivious

If you can't live for the now, at least live for the future.
    Bad+Dreamer.png
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

They've never mentioned anything like that, so I doubt it. Probably wouldn't be too difficult to add in since the AI's already capable enough to play the game alongside you, but I expect it would be boring to be honest. AI are never as inventive as humans, and the whole point of playing the infected is to let out your inner griefer and really mess up someone play by being a devious git. I'm not sure I'd get the same kind of satisfaction from foiling a bot.

Yeah, I feel the same way.
    I was thinking more along the lines of...practice I guess.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    This doesn't constitute any credibility at all but something weird is happening over GAF way. They are claiming that they are receiving calls from Gamestops robot saying L4D will be available Tuesday. Has anyone received a call here? (I wouldn't, I always give a false phone number)

UberEv on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 2008

This is pretty much a basic feature of Source going way back.

Echo on
  • Options
    GahazakulGahazakul regular
    edited November 2008
    Hey whats crackin people?

Quick question, does the early demo access from preordering apply to the 360 and PC version?
    I'm wanting to ply them both to get a feel for which I want to purchase. If everything plays smoothly on my PC then that's what I'm going with. If not then I would like to see what she looks and feels like on the console.

Please don't reply with the old bugaboo of "Stop asking questions and get the PC version nub!". I know she is always better on the PC but I'm looking for a smooth play and if I can't get a satisfactory level of smooth flow on the PC then there ya go. I also know the Source engine scales well, but if I have to scale down to something worse then the console version I would much rather not have to worry about it.

Gahazakul on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I usually like stuff better on the 360. I've played TF2 and HL2 on Steam and 360 and I like the 360 a lot more.

Stragint on

• Options
    edited November 2008
    Gahazakul wrote: »

Quick question, does the early demo access from preordering apply to the 360 and PC version?
    I'm wanting to ply them both to get a feel for which I want to purchase. If everything plays smoothly on my PC then that's what I'm going with. If not then I would like to see what she looks and feels like on the console.

Please don't reply with the old bugaboo of "Stop asking questions and get the PC version nub!". I know she is always better on the PC but I'm looking for a smooth play and if I can't get a satisfactory level of smooth flow on the PC then there ya go. I also know the Source engine scales well, but if I have to scale down to something worse then the console version I would much rather not have to worry about it.

I will tell you:

get the PC version

The custom maps that will be coming out will be worth it alone, since if you get it on the 360 who knows how long it'll take for you to be able to use them.

MrDelish on
  • Options
    GahazakulGahazakul regular
    edited November 2008
    Gahazakul wrote: »

I will tell you:

get the PC version

The custom maps that will be coming out will be worth it alone, since if you get it on the 360 who knows how long it'll take for you to be able to use them.

Thanks for the tip I guess, but this was the exact oppisite of what I asked about ;)

Really, demo release question was what I really wanted to figure out.

Custom maps are no fun if the game doesn't play well enough to be fun in the first place.

Gahazakul on
This discussion has been closed.