As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

QUIT POSTING IN ME

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    NATIK wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    If you slip a grenade in someone's pocket and they die, do you get blamed for it? Will the people of their town turn hostile on you and shit?

Because if not, I am murdering the fuck out of a couple people.

The exact way the detection works is as following.

If you're are hidden at the time of putting it in there you won't be immidiatly seen BUT anyone who saw the explosion will turn hostile and search for you, if they do not find you within some 10 seconds time they give up and you are free to do whatever you want.

This is how the detection with all stealth kills work, you have to stay hidden until they give up the initial search.
    PunkBoy wrote: »
    So, can someone explain how Silent Running works? Does this mean I can run regularly and be considered hidden? Or do I have to still be crouched?

Still have to crouch.

When you go into crouch, you're being stealthy. What most people don't realize is that you get a penalty when you're crouch running; this is why stealth seems worthless. If you hold down the SHIFT key to walk while crouching, you have a far better chance to avoid detection.

Silent Running removes the penalty from crouch running, so you can stop holding SHIFT down and still remain hidden.

Houn on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    so i'm wandering out of paradise falls and i talk to lucky harith and his caravan guard and i buy some stuff and repair some stuff and sell some stuff from the now-ghost town, and him and his pack brahmin get on their way.

and then i talk to the kids who are all happy i saved them and such, so they run ahead, and i follow the brahmin caravan, and the sun is setting over the horizon and it's ridiculously picturesque, like something out of the wild west, a family moving to california- a slow moving caravan moving over a hillock and kids running around just in front

we were just about to get over this next hill when YAOI GUAI JUMPS UP FROM NOWHERE OVER THE HORIZON and the caravan guard is shooting and she gets mauled to shit and harith tries to kill him and he dies and then it kills the brahmin and ignores me (animal friend 8-)) so i finish him off and i loot it all and sell it to moira

Nuzak on
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Also, armor factors a LOT! Take off your armor to improve your stealth. No, you cannot reliably pickpocket in power armor.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NATIKNATIK DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Houn wrote: »
    When you go into crouch, you're being stealthy. What most people don't realize is that you get a penalty when you're crouch running; this is why stealth seems worthless. If you hold down the SHIFT key to walk while crouching, you have a far better chance to avoid detection.

Silent Running removes the penalty from crouch running, so you can stop holding SHIFT down and still remain hidden.

Exactly, also the game tells you this if you bothered to read the tips it give you :P.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Also wearing lighter clothing and equipping small weapons help.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Random observations over the weekend ...

1. God the AI is thick.
    I don't care how dumb Super Mutants are, if the guy directly in front of you suddenly turns into cranberry sauce because I stealth-critted him in the face with the Bloody Mess perk active, you need to notice.

2. Sniper Rifle degrades way, way too fast.
    I've left it in my locker in favour of the Hunting Rifle, because I run into those everywhere.

3. Hit squads? More like Money In The Bank.
    Stop sending these little Talon punks after me. It costs me a clip of .32 which one of them is usually carrying for his little peashooter, and then I get three or four bodies to loot.

4. Got Smack?
    What stat affects how easily I become a junkie? Because if I take two hits of the same stuff in a row, I'm hooked and need to detox myself.

5. Fuck V.A.T.S.
    And the armoured horse it rode in on.

1. I've had raiders come after me after I blow up one of their buddies. Of course, they have pool cues and tire irons and I have Lincoln's repeater. Guess how that ends.

5. Seems like a lot of people don't like VATS. How come? Personally, I love it. Is it just a preference for 100% skill-based targetting vs. do-the-math-crunch-the-numbers RPG targetting, or something else?

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I like VATS, even if it means I miss more. Fighting in real time usually means I get shot way more than I want to.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I LOVE V.A.T.S I play most of the combat in V.A.T.S, whenever I have some action points available I am using that stuff, I don't see what the problem with it is.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Aegeri wrote: »
    also

what if i use the sandman perk to kill someone in their sleep?

would everyone in town know?

So long as you are hidden while doing it nobody knows and you can murder to your hearts content.

fuck yeah

i wanted to play an evil guy and murder the entirety of megaton's residents BEFORE i blew them up, but i don't want to fight the whole god damn town at once (and definitely don't want to fight Jericho)

Pretty sure you'll have to pick the locks to get into their places, which 1. requires a lot of points in lockpick, and 2. counts as a hostile act - so you'll get them shooting at you as soon as you try it.

but if nobody sees you pick the lock, they don't go hostile, right?

i am thinking at like 1 am sneak into people's houses and murder them

Yes, as long as the game says you're hidden you're golden. You can take care of most of Megaton as a sneaky mofo i did it. I had like 5-8 people left alive before the town turned hostile. There are more people than you know in Megaton, including guards on the wall you can't get to so you can't sleathkill everyone.

Lasbrook on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I've been catching myself using A3-21's Plasma Rifle most of the time lately, simply because I have somewhere around 450 rounds for it. Always. No matter how much I use it, I keep finding more ammo.

Where as I'm afraid to use Lincoln's Repeater unless shit hits the fan, because I've only got around 100 rounds. Also, my 10mm ammo is down to about 150, thanks to Sydney's Ultra SMG.

Also, Power Armor is lame. I'm only wearing it because I need to repair my Ranger Armor. And I still want to wear a duster over the Ranger Armor. That would be the hotness.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    Yes, as long as the game says you're hidden you're golden. You can take care of most of Megaton as a sneaky mofo i did it. I had like 5-8 people left alive before the town turned hostile. There are more people than you know in Megaton, including guards on the wall you can't get to so you can't sleathkill everyone.

You can stealthkill Stockholm aswell, just hide in a corner where no one will come looking and blast him with something that can kill him in one shot, I usually kill him because I find his view of the entire city annoying when I am sneaking around.

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    most importantly, i want to kill moira and loot her shop.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    most importantly, i want to kill moira and loot her shop.

Hide upstairs where you can kill the merc but she can't see you, then when she settles down kill her, shouldn't be to much of a problem provided your sneak skill is high enough (I am usually able to kill the merc straight out of the vault).

NATIK on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    1. I've had raiders come after me after I blow up one of their buddies. Of course, they have pool cues and tire irons and I have Lincoln's repeater. Guess how that ends.

5. Seems like a lot of people don't like VATS. How come? Personally, I love it. Is it just a preference for 100% skill-based targetting vs. do-the-math-crunch-the-numbers RPG targetting, or something else?

1. "Hilariously" for $500, Alex. :D

5. For me, it's a combination of
    - Skill-based targeting. I don't like the idea of a die-roll determining whether or not the bullet that's aimed right at that guy's fucking head hits or not.
    - Non-VATS seems to work better. I've spotted guys way, way off in the distance, with VATS giving me a single-digit percentage chance to hit. If I crouch, bring out the trusty old Hunting Rifle at near-mint condition, and wait for them to stop moving, I blow their heads off nine times out of ten.
    - Loss of immersion. I'll admit up front that this is an opinion argument, but the freeze-frame, lock-on-target, and gaining immunity to damage while firing just doesn't do it for me.

Another TL;DR post coming shortly about other types of playthroughs I'm going to do. :P

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    NATIK wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »

Exactly, also the game tells you this if you bothered to read the tips it give you :P.

I'm playing the console version, so I had no idea that there was an option for sneak running or sneak walking. I thought sneaking was just sneaking.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I was meandering on over to Tenpenney Tower, pretty low on health but staying out of trouble so I could hang on to my last stimpaks. I see a red marker on my compass but I can only see a guy cowering nearby. I walk over and it turns out he is a Wasteland junkie and right now he’s tripping out and starts shooting at me with a 10mm. I decide that I don’t have time for this so I turn and start running off.

That’s when a goddamn Yao Guai leaps off a nearby cliff and starts trying to eat my face. So I’m desperately dancing around, shooting Med-X, sucking down Psycho and Jet, flailing my shishkebab as fast as I can and jamming my two remaining stimpaks into my neck. The monster dies, but I’m really badly hurt, and through this whole ordeal the fucking junkie is still shooting at me. So I run down a hill and hoof it. But the bastard just won’t give up: he‘s chasing me, taking pot shots. So I pull out my sniper rifle, crouch and line him up center mass through the scope. Thing is, my Small Guns is shit (I mostly use the rifle as binoculars) so the crosshair is waving all over the place. I fire and immediately think “shit, it’s going to be wide” and then the junkie’s right arm goes flying and he collapses with blood pumping form his ruined elbow and I hear the little cha-ching! sound.

I love wandering the Wasteland.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    - Loss of immersion. I'll admit up front that this is an opinion argument, but the freeze-frame, lock-on-target, and gaining immunity to damage while firing just doesn't do it for me.

Yeah, I find the virtual immunity to damage is what kills VATS for me. Makes it like a built in God mode and really doesn't make a lot of sense. If you're dumb enough to try taking aimed shots while a supermutant is whacking you with a sledgehammer you don't deserve to get magical iron skin because of it.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You fucks need to stop abusing VATS.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Would anybody be interested in a mod that sets a maximum level of 10 when the GECK comes out?

Couscous on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You fucks need to stop using VATS.

Agreed.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    It's hard to not "abuse" vats, because pretty much the only way not to is to never use it.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Is it possible to kill a behemoth using only your bare fists and lots and lots of drugs?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    The only mod I want is the ability to wear a duster over any armor except the powered ones. Or a duster that gives me the DR and stats of the Ranger Armor.

Because, man, I need to look more badass.

Houn on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Couscous wrote: »
    Is it possible to kill a behemoth using only your bare fists and lots and lots of drugs?

That's an interesting question, I've never tried it but it does sound like fun.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm just going to sit in my little modded game and ignore all of your complaints la la la.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Couscous wrote: »

That's an interesting question, I've never tried it but it does sound like fun.

If you can take one hit I guess you could. You'd need so many stim packs though.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    When I stopped playing ages ago my last playthrough had like, 1300 stimpacks. I have 100 unarmed as well (go go books, I choose you) so if I get bored of Left4dead I might bother giving it a try.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Recipe for five minutes of mindless distraction:

1) Stand on top of destroyable car.
    2) Fire Fat Man straight up.
    3) Countdown to liftoff.
    4) Watch yourself get launched into space like a bleeding, stumpy Soyuz.
    5) Quickload, repeat.

I'm curious as to whether or not you go higher if you use the MIRV.

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Syngyne wrote: »

3) Countdown to liftoff.
    5) Quickload, repeat.

The spread would be too wide.

It does wonders for rocket jumps, especially off the balcony of Tenpenny Tower.

Lasbrook on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Syngyne wrote: »

3) Countdown to liftoff.
    5) Quickload, repeat.

Plant a bunch of bottlecap mines around the car too

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I still like piling mines in front of Tenpenny and then shooting him so he stands up.

The explosion is always worth it.

Aegeri on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Houn wrote:
    Where as I'm afraid to use Lincoln's Repeater unless shit hits the fan, because I've only got around 100 rounds. Also, my 10mm ammo is down to about 150, thanks to Sydney's Ultra SMG.

100 rounds is more than you think. You can ocassionally buy .45 rounds from Moira, Flak n Shrapnel, and Lucky Harith. Plus they can be found almost anywhere. I think they have a random chance of spawning in ammo crates, though admittedly that chance is low. Still, I'd say I use the repeater 75% of the time and I usually only expend 50-60 before I can reload.

Though it does help to just stop using a gun for a while. I basically forgot about my chinese assault rifle until I realized I had ~2000 rounds for the damn thing.
    - Skill-based targeting. I don't like the idea of a die-roll determining whether or not the bullet that's aimed right at that guy's fucking head hits or not.
    - Non-VATS seems to work better. I've spotted guys way, way off in the distance, with VATS giving me a single-digit percentage chance to hit. If I crouch, bring out the trusty old Hunting Rifle at near-mint condition, and wait for them to stop moving, I blow their heads off nine times out of ten.

Yeah, VATS is pretty wonky sometimes. It's more based on distance to the target rather than skill. Weapon skills do factor in, but not enough for my taste. I should be able to pop VATS and destroy things with a sniper rifle, but when your chances to hit are absurdly low it seems like a silly weapon choice. I'd like Bethesda to release a patch that recalculates some of this math, but I don't expect that'll ever happen.

Regarding loss of immersion... I dunno, I just don't care. I look at it as a kind of cinematic alternative to the standard hack-n-thwack of Oblivion (or in this case, a hybrid of skill- and math-based ranged combat, which sometimes works wonderfully and other times... doesn't). One time I was fighting a RoboBrain. I ducked and dodged around cover until I got right up in its face with the combat shotgun. I popped VATS, selected its head, and hit OK. I get this beautiful rotating camera angle as my character unloads a shell into the robot's glass skull, sparks showering as its torso exploded in a burst of light. I've seen so many amazing and hilarious slo mo animations of raiders soaring into the air like legless, armless ballerinas after my frag grenades tear them to pieces. I once killed four raiders with a single grenade. I tossed a bottle cap mine at a death claw mid-lunge. I've watched cars go nuclear in VATS. These are moments that I treasure.

Now admittedly I see a lot of the same camera angles rehashed. I think that comes with the territory of playing the game for 40 hours and favoring one particular gun. But overall I'm pretty satisfied with how combat works in this game.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You know what else was annoying in the final stretch of the game?

Citadel part II spoilers
    So you return from captivity, listen (frozen, I might add :x - I hate being locked to an ingame cutscene) to a big spiel on whether or not the Pride should attack posthaste. The Elder asks you what you might know that could help out against the Enclave. You've got four extremely viable dialogue options, and you're only allowed one. If I knew that 1) the Enclave didn't have the purifier code, and 2) Raven Rock just blew the fuck up, I doubt I'd only say one and keep mute for the rest of the conversation.

Annoying as hell.

edit: mute
    wtf am i on today

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I still like piling mines in front of Tenpenny and then shooting him so he stands up.

The explosion is always worth it.

finally, something we can agree on!

tyrannus on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You fucks need to stop using VATS.

Agreed.

I fight real-time mostly because it's faster. Without Reaper Sprint, killing 3-4 mutants goes faster without going in ultra-slow motion, waiting for the AP recharge, and repeating. However, I do get sick and tired of my armor getting unavoidably ravaged after an hour or two. Additionally, I get pissed off from taking tons of damage from guns that are at 15% condition when I pick them up, but do tons of damage to me anyway. Then I get triple-pissed because Bethesda put hive-mind AI in the game so everybody knows where I am the instant something happens.

When that happens, out comes the VATS. I refuse to torture myself because Bethesda made some terrible design choices. In fact, I believe most of my enjoyment from being a bastard in my second playthrough is because I feel like I'm getting my revenge on Bethesda for making you put up with real bullshit to have good karma. Megaton may like me right now, but once I get the Survival Guide stuff those people are toast.

Oh yeah, did I also mention that I'm pissed because the Cannibal perk only works on humans? I can eat roach meat and rat meat and bear meat and without any special skills, but masticating the flesh of humans with aberrant DNA is beyond my reckoning? I was really looking forward to feasting on all the sentients of the world, too. But no, Cannibal only works on humans. At least they could put that in the perk description.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    There's something mildly amusing about equipping everyone you come across with T51b Power Armour, I was surprised Maggie in Megaton would even equip it. Next, Little Lamplight.

ETA: I bet it would be even more amusing to equip everyone witht he talking medic armour.

Oakey on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I'm tempted to replace all the voice files for the medic armor with the Medic from TF2.

And then create different types of talking power armor based on the other classes from Team Fortress.

:D

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    MEDIC ARMOR IS CREDIT TO TEAM. I should try a soldier run and just go missile launcher/shotgun.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    And the closest thing to a shovel you can find.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Can you use the wrench as a weapon? If so, you could do the Engineer easily. Laser Pistol, shotgun, wrench. You can even pick up the toolbox and run around with it if you wanted to.

urahonky on
This discussion has been closed.