Options

The Black Friday Thread: Walmart Worker Trampled and Killed By Crowd

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Malkor wrote: »
    Well better Wal-Mart than Exxon, BP, or some arms manufacturer right?
    Not really, no. You don't see a lot of sweatshop workers in the oil or weapons systems industries, after all.

Then again, Walmart didn't create a belligerent theocratic state like BP did, either.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    So evil.

How evil?

SO EVIL.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Malkor wrote: »
    Well better Wal-Mart than Exxon, BP, or some arms manufacturer right?
    Not really, no. You don't see a lot of sweatshop workers in the oil or weapons systems industries, after all.
    Then again, Walmart didn't create a belligerent theocratic state like BP did, either.
    It's not like they haven't given it their best shot.

Or, wait, did you mean other than the U.S.?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Zimmydoom wrote: »
    So evil.

How evil?

As much as a small pony.
    I'm still firmly convinced that pony wouldn't have bit my brother's leg if he was wearing pants or hadn't been sweating like a mobster in a sauna.

So evil.

Tach on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2008
    Tach wrote: »
    So evil.

How evil?

As much as a small pony.
    I'm still firmly convinced that pony wouldn't have bit my brother's leg if he was wearing pants or hadn't been sweating like a mobster in a sauna.

No, putting pants on the pony would only have enraged it further.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So evil.

How evil?

Wal*Mart. The grand design of humble polygamists from what is colloquially known as America's "incest belt". What began as a humble general store soon rose to monolithic proportions. Long story short: Umbrella Corp. is worth like a million malo*s. W*M falls short by like a baker's dozen.

*For this discussion we have used the malo, a fictional unit for measuring evils. I made them up! Also you have to imagine Antonio Banderas saying it. malo

TL DR on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited December 2008
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Kagera wrote: »
    Wow, I never knew they could have companies manufacture the same model at a lower quality.

That IS impressive, in the Darth Vader sense.

If you buy certain high-end electronics (an HDTV for instance) at someplace like Wal-Mart, some of the more advanced features are locked out by software installed at the manufacturer. My friend had the Best Buy guys come by his place to calibrate an HDTV he'd picked up used somewhere and their magic master remote was unable to change, like, the contrast settings or something.

Sort of like video card manufacturers gimping their high-end cards and selling them dirt-cheap?

I guess so! I didn't know they did that. Shows you how long it's been since I went computer shopping.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2008
    Wow, I never knew they could have companies manufacture the same model at a lower quality.

If you buy certain high-end electronics (an HDTV for instance) at someplace like Wal-Mart, some of the more advanced features are locked out by software installed at the manufacturer. My friend had the Best Buy guys come by his place to calibrate an HDTV he'd picked up used somewhere and their magic master remote was unable to change, like, the contrast settings or something.

Sort of like video card manufacturers gimping their high-end cards and selling them dirt-cheap?

I guess so! I didn't know they did that. Shows you how long it's been since I went computer shopping.

At least a couple different consumer-level models of Nvidia boards in years past were convertible into the super-charged professional-grade versions by removing a bit of solder. I assume they still do this.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Sometimes features are intentionally gimped (SIMD units started being "cut" once modding lower end cards became popular), but it's done because it is usually better to base your cards/chips on your high end part and cut features for a lower end part than to complicate the manufacturing process.

It is traditionally done for other reasons, though. High end CPUs and the like are more difficult to manufacture, and not everything that is made will run at full speed. So you make a high end part, test them to see if they will run at the clock speed and voltage that they are designed for, take the good ones and progressively retest the parts that failed at specs for the lower parts. That E7200 you bought may have just been an E8500 that wasn't up to snuff, but when the process becomes more reliable they are just the same chips with a locked multiplier.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, my NVidia 6800 had 16 pipelines, with 8 disabled by default. You could get an app that unlocked them. Cheesy as hell.

Doc on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    mcdermott wrote: »
    So evil.

How evil?

SO EVIL.

Lawful evil. Except, they are the law.

moniker on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Doc wrote: »
    Yeah, my NVidia 6800 had 16 pipelines, with 8 disabled by default. You could get an app that unlocked them. Cheesy as hell.

Is this still how things are done?

Am I being denied pipes?

TL DR on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    But... who is to blame for that kind of shit? Did Wal-mart disable your pipes? It sounds like manufacturers are screwing over customers for no real reason other than they are mad about how low Wal-mart drives prices.

Yar on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Yar wrote: »
    But... who is to blame for that kind of shit? Did Wal-mart disable your pipes? It sounds like manufacturers are screwing over customers for no real reason other than they are mad about how low Wal-mart drives prices.

They pressure the companies. In the case of Levi's, it actually has its own supply lines for low-quality jeans.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    ZimmydoomZimmydoom Accept no substitutes Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Scalfin wrote: »

They pressure the companies. In the case of Levi's, it actually has its own supply lines for low-quality jeans.

Yeah. Basically Wal-Mart has waaaay too much control over both the prices and content of the products they sell. Anybody remember the Great Pickle Debate from a few years ago, back when they started demanding that Vlassic start supplying them pickles at below cost or they'd stop carrying their products, thus killing their market share?

Zimmydoom on
    Better-than-birthday-sig!
    Gim wrote: »
    Zimmydoom, Zimmydoom
    Flew away in a balloon
    Had sex with polar bears
    While sitting in a reclining chair
    Now there are Zim-Bear hybrids
    Running around and clawing eyelids
    Watch out, a Zim-Bear is about to have sex with yooooooou!
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Yeah. Basically Wal-Mart has waaaay too much control over both the prices and content of the products they sell. Anybody remember the Great Pickle Debate from a few years ago, back when they started demanding that Vlassic start supplying them pickles at below cost or they'd stop carrying their products, thus killing their market share?

Also: Rubbermaid.

Seriously, their hegemonic powers do make them evil. So, so, evil.

moniker on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008

I was just cementing the fact that manufacturers will certainly sell the same product with artificially reduced capacity at a lower price point. Nothing to do with Wal-Mart, directly.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

I was just cementing the fact that manufacturers will certainly sell the same product with artificially reduced capacity at a lower price point. Nothing to do with Wal-Mart, directly.
    There's certainly no good reason for a company to sell a $270 product for $160. After all, the goal is to maximize profit. That $160 video card is a gimped $270 one, and if you want more performance then you're going to have to pay the premium for that performance*. As I said earlier, that lower end product may have a part that wasn't sufficient for the bleeding edge product but will work just fine for the lower end one, and later on it just makes manufacturing the different versions more cost effective.

ATi/AMD and Nvidia don't really deal with the end product, anyway. I'm still rather sure that they have agreements in place with their customers (companies who actually manufacture and sell cards) on how their chips are to be restricted for the different editions.

* In this case the $270 card is a Radeon 4870, the $160 one is the 4850.

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Gimping cards to sell at lower prices basically lets the company hit multiple points on the demand curve. Not everyone who will pay $160 for a card will pay $270 for a better one.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    You forgot that first they got Vlasic to expand their production capacity in order to supply Wal-Mart with a ridiculous number of jars of pickles, and then the next year demanded that they sell them below cost.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    You forgot that first they got Vlasic to expand their production capacity in order to supply Wal-Mart with a ridiculous number of jars of pickles, and then the next year demanded that they sell them below cost.
    There's a whole article that covers Vlasic (and a couple of other companies) and Walmart that I'd recommend everyone to read if you haven't already.

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    There's a whole article that covers Vlasic (and a couple of other companies) and Walmart that I'd recommend everyone to read if you haven't already.
    I never got why Walmart was to blame in the pickle debacle. Vlassic's problem was that they couldn't expand the $3 gallon jar of pickles gig indefinitely because they were supply side limited.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    stateguy2010stateguy2010 Registered User new member
    edited December 2008
    Anyone who is interested in this subject should read The Walmart Effect. Interessting stuff.

stateguy2010 on
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Someone posted earlier "Maybe we need another fuck Walmart thread."

I find that hilarious as this thread has been that for about four hundred and fifty six thousand pages now.

And for the people who have said "wtf omg I'm not saying walmart shoulders the blame alone but seriously, fuck those guys" its not only a stupid position, its just plain wrong.

The rhetoric in this thread has been overwhelmingly anti-company. I'm not saying that is good or bad, but pretending that it isn't the case is fundamentally dishonest; the disbelief over people (beyond myself) believing that others in this discussion were trying to say that "blaming anyone except Walmart is ridiculous" has been, itself, ridiculous. ITS WHAT YOU SAID.

At this point, rather than discuss people being trampled or not, I'm going to post another link to how Walmart fucked over a pickle maker! Screw them!

Raynaga on
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Man, what is wrong with you?

geckahn on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Fuck Wal-Mart.

But seriously, fuck them. Sucks they're like the only place I can find those pickles though.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So is claiming the WalMart hate is overblown the new "both parties are equally bad", Ralph Nader too cool for rational opinions meme?

Fuck WalMart. Its a scumbag company that treats its employees badly, utilizes its market share like a Supersledge, politically intimidates its employees in order to promote a socially conservative, anti-union, free trade and partisan (Republican) agenda, and essentially locks in rural poverty in those communities it essentially takes over. And I don't think anyone seriously disputes any of these points. So Fuck WalMart.

That's not really the reason I don't go there though. I don't go there because WalMart customers suck. It doesn't even honestly get to the point of the ethics of the company because every time I've gone into the store I've become just a little bit dumber and a little bit more of an asshole.

joshua1 wrote: »
    It is probably the only corporation that I can see evolving into a corporate ruling dynasty in a dystopian future.
    wallewhitewh7.jpg

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Holy shit, I just saw a political ad talking about Walmart and "Communist China".

I never thought I'd see a modern day ad using Communism as fearmongering.
    Did you sleep through the Presidental election? We've ran out of new shit to be scared of, so we've done a remake. Just like at the movie house.

Which isn't a problem if it's labeled differently as "the gimp card" or the "value edition" or if it's given a different label. I do take issue with price shopping between stores and picking one that appears exactly the same, down to the exact same model number with no indication that it's an different product except for the price and the location from which it's sold, however. It's deliberate misrepresentation.
    Eh... with the oil industry, there are ways of getting cheap labor, especially in the field, though that's more common with lower-tier companies. However, they aren't little kids or some shit. It just doesn't take a lot of education to turn a wrench and they use locals to do as much roughnecking as possible. So, cost of labor is reduced. Given the bodily risk, though (easy to lose a hand if you're minding the chain), there's only so low they can go.

GungHo on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    PantsB wrote: »
    So is claiming the WalMart hate is overblown the new "both parties are equally bad", Ralph Nader too cool for rational opinions meme?

Fuck WalMart. Its a scumbag company that treats its employees badly, utilizes its market share like a Supersledge, politically intimidates its employees in order to promote a socially conservative, anti-union, free trade and partisan (Republican) agenda, and essentially locks in rural poverty in those communities it essentially takes over. And I don't think anyone seriously disputes any of these points. So Fuck WalMart.

That's not really the reason I don't go there though. I don't go there because WalMart customers suck. It doesn't even honestly get to the point of the ethics of the company because every time I've gone into the store I've become just a little bit dumber and a little bit more of an asshole.

most people who say 'fuck walmart' still shop there for the convenience and/or the $$cheap. but then there are people who live in the US that still say 'fuck USA' so maybe its just pointless moaning.

also... why are you talking to walmart customers (who are no stupider than customers in any store/mall)? you go in, grab what you need, pay for it and leave. you may have to say 5 words to the cashier but if you go to walmart for interesting conversation.... you're doing it wrong.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I hate Wal-Mart because the lanes are so god damned small. Most of the mouth-breathers stay right in the god damned middle too.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    bowen wrote: »
    I hate Wal-Mart because the lanes are so god damned small. Most of the mouth-breathers stay right in the god damned middle too.

Heh. That's the original reason I stopped shopping at wal-mart. I had some anger issues at the time, and every time I went to get groceries there, I came out much angrier than when I went in. So, I decided to change some things.

Since then, my girlfriend and I have steadily improved our lifestyles, trying to emphasize quality over quantity. Wal-Mart shit falls apart, and I don't need it. I don't know that I'd make a blanket statement such as "it's the right thing to do," but it's certainly been the right thing for us.

Ballman on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I shop at Wegmans (local chain in central new york) and it is so much better. The meat alone is bounds and leaps above everything else.

bowen on
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ballman wrote: »

Heh. That's the original reason I stopped shopping at wal-mart. I had some anger issues at the time, and every time I went to get groceries there, I came out much angrier than when I went in. So, I decided to change some things.

Since then, my girlfriend and I have steadily improved our lifestyles, trying to emphasize quality over quantity. Wal-Mart shit falls apart, and I don't need it. I don't know that I'd make a blanket statement such as "it's the right thing to do," but it's certainly been the right thing for us.

This blows my mind. All the ones in my district have room for two pallets side by side down grocery isles, and 1 down general merchandise isles.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Maybe police/armed security should be present at these places?

At least in my town, on boxing day, theres a squad car at pretty much every big box retailer. I guess it kind of helps that ours comes after Christmas and a lot of people are already too broke to take part in any of the sales, but I don't get why black friday always results in things like this while Boxing Day doesn't. Admittedly, someone in Toronto got shot last boxing day, but I'm not sure if they do the police thing as well. Generally also, store staff will come outside intermittently to hand out hand warmers, occasionally there will be free coffee and donuts, and typically vouchers are handed out for the door busters about 2 hours before the doors open so people go sit in their cars to warm up (obviously this works better in a cold climate, where its typically -15 and snowing while everyone is freezing their asses off in line.)

But basically, if Walmart put a couple armed security guards to stand by the door and tell everyone to stay back/insist on single file line things like this wouldn't happen.

Wezoin on
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I shop at Wegmans (local chain in central new york) and it is so much better. The meat alone is bounds and leaps above everything else.

Theyre in various places in the northeast and virginia, not just upstate.

But I need to drive out of the beltway to get to one, so I dont go often. <3 wegmans though, best grocery store ever.

geckahn on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Raynaga wrote: »
    Someone posted earlier "Maybe we need another fuck Walmart thread."

I find that hilarious as this thread has been that for about four hundred and fifty six thousand pages now.

Or, you know, like eight.

Because all the parts where people were holding the company liable for their actions? Would have been the same for any retailer, and in fact most (including myself) admitted that most retailers do the exact same shit every year, and that Wal-Mart are just the unlucky ones that had the first death.

This does not absolve them of their liability, though.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Dunadan019 wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »

most people who say 'fuck walmart' still shop there for the convenience and/or the $$cheap. but then there are people who live in the US that still say 'fuck USA' so maybe its just pointless moaning.

also... why are you talking to walmart customers (who are no stupider than customers in any store/mall)? you go in, grab what you need, pay for it and leave. you may have to say 5 words to the cashier but if you go to walmart for interesting conversation.... you're doing it wrong.

Talk to them!? Are you mad!?!

I'm just talking about the osmosis of putrefying essence which mocks the very concept of a sacred soul in the other patrons. You don't have to eat plutonium to get radiation sickness and you don't have to converse with the dregs to feel their enveloping worthlessness or pricks of petty vileness.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    geckahn wrote: »

Theyre in various places in the northeast and virginia, not just upstate.

But I need to drive out of the beltway to get to one, so I dont go often. <3 wegmans though, best grocery store ever.

Hi5, Wegman's is the best.

bowen on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    GungHo wrote: »
    Holy shit, I just saw a political ad talking about Walmart and "Communist China".

I never thought I'd see a modern day ad using Communism as fearmongering.

Politics is one thing, an ad trying to diss Walmart is another.

Maybe it's because of the phrase "Communist China". I mean even the presidential ads used socialism, not Communism.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I never got why Walmart was to blame in the pickle debacle. Vlassic's problem was that they couldn't expand the $3 gallon jar of pickles gig indefinitely because they were supply side limited.

Because Wal-Mart was demanding that Vlassic cut their own throats or be crushed out of the market - they told Vlassic that if they didn't get the pricing that they wanted, they would remove all Vlassic producs from their store, which would have been even WORSE for the picklemaker.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum