As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Crazy hard games

• Options
    bikkibikkibobikkibikkibo Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    urahonky wrote: »
    Super Ghouls and Ghosts. Those damn imp/devil guys in the final dungeon make me wanna slam forks into my face.

You've actually seen passed the first level? By the time I make it to the end of the first level I run out of lives. Fucking game.

Once upon a time when i was a little boy I could only muscle up about 4-5 games a year from the parents, Super Ghouls and Ghosts being one of them. I played the ever living SHIT out of that game. I played it a lot with my babysitter. So much in fact he had a fucking seizure in the middle of stage 3(the tower stage).
    I had no idea wtf was going on and it scared the living bejesus out of me.

- yes the original Nintendo version was just as bad.

bikkibikkibo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Super Ghouls and Ghosts. Those damn imp/devil guys in the final dungeon make me wanna slam forks into my face.

Ghosts and Goblins was just as bad. You finally finish the game after level after level of horribly difficult enemies, just to find out that you have to finish the game all the way through a second time in order to get the real ending.

I threw my controller down in a fit of rage, and never touched the game again.

Dude...Super G'n'G does the same thing. Except the princess gives you some kind of super bracelet weapon? Of course, if you accidentally touch another weapon, you take that one instead and can't get the bracelet back.

The best part was how the game threw so much at you that it would cause your SNES to slow down.

@urahonky: There is absolutely no cheapness in NG (xBox). The worst I can think of is the hovering laser-bots, but a windmill shuriken can take them out in short order.

I wish they hadn't taken out the parry, though.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    Delicious SteveDelicious Steve Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Dead or Alive 4

You cannot lengthen a game simply by randomising unblockable 60% of your entire health bar attacks. This is simply not fun and i have a damaged (and you have to TRY to damage an xbox controller) controller as a result.

Most opponents were 50/50 when it came to that shit, but the end-boss alpha-152 or something, suddenly pulls 9 hit juggling combos on you, quite often the match would go flawlessly to her, and in time trial i might note you were required to beat that cunt twice in a row :x And you unlocked ONE costume per time trial finish, i had 7 or 8 fucking spartan costumes to unlock i wanted to kill myself; the spartan character was so bad.

This entire game was based on luck, the blocking system was a coin flip on whether or not you'd counter attack or make a stupid pose while you got the shit kicked out of you. Game was insulting to the player.

Ninja Gaiden 2

Played it, it was hard at the time, but once you see what strategy works on an enemy it's clockwork, it's a moderately challenging game once you know what to do.

Psychonauts

The last few levels suddenly became bullshit; the logic they had built up for me to follow was thrown away, a terribly designed jumping and climbing section is burned into my mind as a result.

Delicious Steve on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I remember the original Ecco the Dolphin was pretty hard, also has anyone tried the version on Dreamcast/PS2? That was crazy hard too imo (one seizure later, I managed to complete it....oh my that last boss was horrible!)

All three Echoes were crazy tough. The first game's final area was auto scrolling and it took me forever to get through it without getting squished between the wall and the screen.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    LewieP wrote: »
    F-Zero GX is stupid hard, but through playing it a lot, I got really good at it. Managed to unlock the AX tracks, but Story mode on Very Hard can fuck off.

I remember 100%ing that game, doing everything on the hardest difficulties and unlocking all the AX tracks and the car parts and then I snapped my memory card when removing it from my GC. I wept.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Ikaruga is hard and I found F-Zero GX on the later courses on the hardest difficulty hard. Nevermind the bullshit story mode sections.

@ Scarab: Well played. I gave up on the second last grand prix and couldnt finish the the story mode grand prix race against Black Bull.

edit:

The last section of Psychonauts is just stupidly annoying hard. Not the fun challenge kind.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Super Street Fighter 2 HD, fighting Akuma is as cheap as cheap can get. My friends stayed up for an extra 4 hours trying to beat him and never taking him down once. Though they (I say they, because I refuse to play that game) can play through it on Expert difficulty.

urahonky on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Single player Earth Defense Force 2017 on the xb360 with like ~2000 hp on inferno difficulty was/is crazy hard, since you die in one hit just about.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Psychonauts

The last few levels suddenly became bullshit; the logic they had built up for me to follow was thrown away, a terribly designed jumping and climbing section is burned into my mind as a result.

I've heard people say that a fair amount, but I never get it. I beat Psychonauts and don't remember any particularly troubling parts. And I usually get very frustrated with platformers, because I'm terrible at them.

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Two pages and nary a mention of S.T.A.L.K.E.R?

It has the kind of challenge-hard that I like, but is somewhat brought down by the OHGODWHYWONTTHEGAMEWORK lack of polish.

Antithesis on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Visti wrote: »

Psychonauts

I've heard people say that a fair amount, but I never get it. I beat Psychonauts and don't remember any particularly troubling parts. And I usually get very frustrated with platformers, because I'm terrible at them.

Yeah, I wasn't a big fan of the rollercoaster section, but it wasn't a big problem. I also had trouble climbing up The Butcher's arm without falling off, but it only took a couple of tries.

Maybe they mean the trapeze section with Raz's father?

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    AngryPuppyAngryPuppy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I have to ask, did the ps2 Shinobi have selectable difficulties? I hear people talk about it being crazy hard but I remember playing it and while I do recall it giving me a decent amount of difficulty it's never stuck out in my head as one of the toughest games ever. I'm not at all trying to imply that I'm 'so pro' I didn't break a sweat, because games like devil may cry and ninja gaiden are definately *not* my forte.

I'm wondering if maybe I played it on a low difficulty, repressed the experience or played a different game entirely; though the whole life eating sword time limit thing sounds right - long flowy red scarf too correct?

AngryPuppy on
    PSN: AngryPuppyEsq
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The first Viewtiful Joe gets my vote

The earlier difficulty levels, not so much

But Ultra V-Rated is hard as hell

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    DusT_HounDDusT_HounD Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Hey- can anyone hear that?
    Gunvalkyrie

But mainly it was hard because of the weird controls. I kept going back till i finished it, but i thought it was a toughie.

DusT_HounD on
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    you need to be thinking about old, especially Spanish, Spectrum games, pretty much anything by Dinamics, like Navy Moves or Army Moves. They were die in the first 10 seconds hard.

Yeah. Army Moves was the one I've played the most. I got to level 2 man.

Meiz on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    I still say Battletoads beats out everything else mentioned here.

I still have nightmares about those hoverbikes. :(

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    SethMcCoySethMcCoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I didn't see anyone mention Mega Man 1... (i could have missed it) but that game (for the NES, not any of the ports) is brutal. There is no nice little save feature like in the oXbox/Ps2 Collection. And the Willy stage just keeps on runnin' that pain train into your ass.

Ps. Jumping over gaps requires you to defy sv_gravity 9001

SethMcCoy on
    Petitio Principii, Circulus in Probando
  • Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Caveman Ughlympics on the C64. Namely firemaking. I burned through two joysticks making my little neanderthals rub sticks together. And I never actually made a fire.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    threads like this always remind me of the horror that is super ghouls 'n' ghosts

slash000 on
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Another vote for Ninja Gaiden Black.

Jesus fuck this game is tough.

Karl on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

I have never found anyone who's gotten past that level of the game. It is like campfire legend, and one day we will tell our children and our children's children of the horrors of Battletoads.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    edited January 2009

bwa ha ha ha ha

SethMcCoy on
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

I have never found anyone who's gotten past that level of the game. It is like campfire legend, and one day we will tell our children and our children's children of the horrors of Battletoads.

I beat it. That was nothing compared to level with the damn snake things you had to ride. The hoverbike level actually wasn't that terrible once you played it a billion times and learned the pattern.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    AngryPuppy wrote: »
    I have to ask, did the ps2 Shinobi have selectable difficulties? I hear people talk about it being crazy hard but I remember playing it and while I do recall it giving me a decent amount of difficulty it's never stuck out in my head as one of the toughest games ever. I'm not at all trying to imply that I'm 'so pro' I didn't break a sweat, because games like devil may cry and ninja gaiden are definately *not* my forte.

I'm wondering if maybe I played it on a low difficulty, repressed the experience or played a different game entirely; though the whole life eating sword time limit thing sounds right - long flowy red scarf too correct?

did you beat it? how far did you get? the game is not that hard at first, but in later stages it is ridiculous. many people abandon the game before it gets really hard.

i have never beaten that fucking samurai with the laser robots.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

I beat that game when I was like 6.

EDIT: Pixel Junk Eden makes me want to jump out of a window sometimes.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    MarioG wrote: »

Then you and MundaneSoul are giants or something, because no one I ever met could get past that first hoverbike level, and it's always where I got stuck when I rented it.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009

I beat it. That was nothing compared to level with the damn snake things you had to ride. The hoverbike level actually wasn't that terrible once you played it a billion times and learned the pattern.

I could usually do the bikes and the snakes. It was the unicycle race against that pinwheel of death that always stymied me. You had to be absolutely perfect throughout the entire level; if you were a second off anywhere, it would catch you.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    TesiacoilTesiacoil Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    minesweeper

Tesiacoil on
    "The whole fleet knows this man tried to stab me through the neck. And you missed! Butterfingers!"
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    MarioG wrote: »

Then you and MundaneSoul are giants or something, because no one I ever met could get past that first hoverbike level, and it's always where I got stuck when I rented it.

I have never known anyone to actually beat the game.

But as much as I hate the hoverbike level, I actually can beat it. The farthest I have gotten was the elevator shaft. I get to the boss, and usually by that time my lives are all gone.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    kriegskriegs Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

did you beat it? how far did you get? the game is not that hard at first, but in later stages it is ridiculous. many people abandon the game before it gets really hard.

I did manage to beat it on Normal (or whatever the normal difficulty setting is). I also managed to 1-hit (technically 2-hit) the final boss in what could possibly be one of my greatest moments in gaming. Killed about 8 or so floaty paper things then did the "charging dash" attack, which managed to hit him twice for some reason and it did him in. Mind you, this was my 20th+ time trying to kill that stupid bastard.

kriegs on
  • Options
    FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Tesiacoil wrote: »
    minesweeper

I NEVER got that game. So hard.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Deadly%20Towers.jpg

Hard and terrible.

chamberlain on
  • Options
    TesiacoilTesiacoil Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Faffel wrote: »
    I NEVER got that game. So hard.
    Haha. Well, the idea of the numbers are, that they tell you how many mines are around them. So, ideally, you would love to click on a four and then just avoid the boxes around it, and then click on the boxes surrounding those boxes to find which ones you can uncover.

But still. I tend to just, you know, click randomly. I'm too impatient to go box by box, and even if you try to strategize it's still impossible. And you're timed too! What's that all about. Really.
    Nobody likes minesweeper.

Tesiacoil on
    "The whole fleet knows this man tried to stab me through the neck. And you missed! Butterfingers!"
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Zanac.jpg

It will destroy you.

SethMcCoy on
  • Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    i wanna be the guy

redfenix on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Why did so many people suffer this game?

Seriously. So many people seem to have played it, and suffered its atrocious and difficult gameplay.

Why?

Was it because they got suckered into buying it based on its awesome cover art, and then when the game raped them, they acquired this mentality of, "No, fuck you, I'm not going to let you beat me!" until they kept on losing until dispair set in and they gave up?

slash000 on
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The Addams Family: Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt for the SNES is ridiculously hard, due to the floaty controls. And it has no password feature.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nscP9QpXoFM&feature=related

Mushihimesama! and one of my favorites

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLA-VofiSl4

cho ren sha! those crazy shmups..

also the hoverbikes on battletoads are as fun as hell once you memorize the pattern

oh, and jumper is such a great game. one of the few games that I find really addicting once you get it going. Too bad jumper 3 was bleh

Asamof the Horrible on
  • Options
    SixfortyfiveSixfortyfive Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    SethMcCoy wrote: »
    I didn't see anyone mention Mega Man 1... (i could have missed it) but that game (for the NES, not any of the ports) is brutal. There is no nice little save feature like in the oXbox/Ps2 Collection. And the Willy stage just keeps on runnin' that pain train into your ass.

Ps. Jumping over gaps requires you to defy sv_gravity 9001
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG_GnjntufY

Most of MM1 is pretty easy if you take the right order. Iceman's stage is a total pain in the ass unless you've beaten Elecman and obtained the Magnet Beam.

Sixfortyfive on
    poasting something foolishly foolish.
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    kriegs wrote: »

I did manage to beat it on Normal (or whatever the normal difficulty setting is). I also managed to 1-hit (technically 2-hit) the final boss in what could possibly be one of my greatest moments in gaming. Killed about 8 or so floaty paper things then did the "charging dash" attack, which managed to hit him twice for some reason and it did him in. Mind you, this was my 20th+ time trying to kill that stupid bastard.

then i salute you, sir. your patience and will is greater than mine.

it's one of those games that you know you can beat if you put enough time in, but damned if i wanted to.

Evil Multifarious on