Options

I used to watch it all the time, but back then it was called [Japanimation]

• Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    That's one thing I liked about Evangelion pre-mindfuck episodes. At least its MOTW episodes all went about solving each problem in a different and unique way.

Yeah, there wasn't really any Finishing Move for the EVAs. How different all the angels were probably helped. Sure, the first couple were pretty standard giant monsters, but then there's that one that's a weird spider with an indestructible barrier, or the one attacking from orbit by dropping pieces of itself, or the one that's an organic computer virus.

That show has a lot of cool things in it if you ignore Shinji.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Cardcaptor Sakukra did MotW pretty well I thought.

setrajonas on
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »
    In other news that will make you go "...what?"

I just found out that the dub version of Isamu Dyson was done by Bryan Cranston.

Let me repeat that: Isamu Dyson was voiced by the dad from "Malcolm in the Middle."

More importantly, he's the guy from Breaking Bad

So what show are we talking about because now I'm interested

Wow, thats up there with Optimus Prime being Eeyore.

I need to youtube up some english Isamu.

Kelor on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    That's some burn right there.
    Maddox wrote:
    This one pisses me off just thinking about it. Any time you say something sucks around someone who disagrees, they try to validate their taste in shitty music/movies/clothing by reminding you that you still only speak for yourself, as if their opinions are in jeopardy of being monopolized by your own. Everyone already knows it's my opinion by virtue of the fact that I said it, no need to restate the obvious you dopey twat.

The problem is that you state your opinion as though it were fact.
    .....DO you even read Maddox's site? the man takes it to a whole new level.
    You are not maddox, shrimpy.

You are a retard on the internet.

There is a marked difference.
    I don't get it. Maddox does the same stuff, yet Maddox is like an internet pop icon.

The difference is that you are a walking talking weeaboo stereotype arguing about Gundam on forums, and Maddox writes moderately funny articles with his schtick of being an asshole on the internet. Honestly you could write a website about your stuff too and it would be pretty funny, but probably not on purpose.

Zek on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Antimatter wrote: »
    Scalfin wrote: »
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    hahaha this page is empty to me it's like i have top post!

thanks bakarrteterhththth!~
    Lockon dies

YOU SHUT YOUR DIRTY MOUTH NO HE DOESN'T
    [tiny]please tell me he doesn't. :cry: [/tiny]

Well, yeah, this isn't Baccano and he isn't piloting thew Grand Pussyfoot. Well, unless
    Shemberg
    was using common tech.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I watched the first episode of Gundam 00 about 4 months ago and I found its "show don't tell" style rather appealing.

I had no clue which character was which though.

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    And caring about plot and reason over FIGHT OF THE WEEK apparently makes you elitist and a Gainax fanboy. Or something.
    But that's a better structure, to be honest.

No, it is not.
    Why not? Despite being your usual Sentai show, Go-onger still has proven itself to be better than pretty much all recent mecha anime just because of that.

The MOTW format has a number of inherent weaknesses that make it inferior in almost all cases. These are repetiveness, lack of depth, and lack of progress.

MOTW is naturally repetative, in fact that's the whole point. It goes even farther than that, however, especially in older shows and new ones that cling the most closely to an older format, in that the monsters are essentially interchangeable. Every fight does exactly the same way regardless of the opponent or anything else. The protagonists are attacked, they flail around for a while, and then do whatever their current finishing move is and win. There is no variety to it, in fact it probably just reuses the animation as well. People complain about SEED and SEED Destiny having a lot of reused animation but niether of them holds a candle to your typical MOTW show.

Because MOTW requires each episode to be essentially self-contained, it makes it difficult if not impossible to develop any real depth to the series. You just can deal with any real issues in a single half hour, or even a full hour. What you are left with is ham-fisted, head-banger "morals" that are shoe-horned into each episode or nothing at all. The charaters lack any measure of characterization, development, or depth. What you are left with is card-board cut-outs that do not engage the audience in any real way and thus could be swapped out with any similar other character and it would not change things one bit, and no one would care. Simply put, it is utterly lacking in anything of interest.

Finally, for similar reasons as above it is necessarily to make sure that the status quo is maintained. Everything has to be the same at the end of an episode as it was at the beginning. Thus, the reset button ends up being pressed a lot. This makes it impossible for the show and characters to progress in any meaningful sense. At best, they will collect pointless power-ups to their abilities like some retarded version of Katamari Damacy. None of these power-ups will actually change anything, because again the status quo has to be maintained. The characters remain inherently stunted, stuck in whatever role of the Five Man Band (or whatever set up the show uses) they have been in since the start of the show. If you are lucky, one of them will die in a season finale and get replaced with a functional clone of the previous character. They can never really acomplish anything, at least not until the series finale. Which means that you might as well watch on the first and last episodes and you will get the full story right there because nothing in between these two will matter.

MOTW is a relic, a living dinosaur of an age when shows were simply not as developed as they are today. It is also an artifact of shows that think their target demographic is too dumb to comprehend anything more complicated. And finally, it is lazy writting that lets you just phone in episode after episode of some shitty ass glorified toy commercial.
    That's not entirely true, MOTW can have depth to the characters and yet have a more "Episodic" format. Magiranger, one of my favorite Sentai shows, actually managed some really great character development, biut again, stuck to the usual Sentai episodic format and it still worked beatifully.

Digimon is another extreme example, despite being MOTW and episodic, it had some REALLY stand out moments, like this,

I jsut think episodic formats work better than the DEEP STORYTELLING type that just confuses people. now, Cassern Sins is a step in the right direction.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    These subs for the newest Gundam 00 episode I found are pretty bad.

"Independent Detergent Force A-LAWS" indeed.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    ErgandarErgandar Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well, nevermind--the first minute of episode 2 had some heavy handed exposition.

Ergandar on
    RachelSig.jpg
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Yeah, I've seen subs by that group before and they were horrid.

I'm not in too much of a hurry, I figure gSS will have theirs out tomorrow at the latest.

Re - MOTW format:

I can't for the life of me think of a show that didn't vastly improve once it got out of the boring rut that is MOTW.

Slicer on
  • Options
    JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I still can't get TVtropes to let me in. Barrakketh mentioned something last thread about proxies being blacklisted - I'm not using one (unless my ISP is doing weird shit behind my back). To the bat-signal!

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Slicer wrote: »

I'm not in too much of a hurry, I figure gSS will have theirs out tomorrow at the latest.
    At least these guys aren't inexplicably making Graham gay this time.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Jesuits wrote: »
    I still can't get TVtropes to let me in. Barrakketh mentioned something last thread about proxies being blacklisted - I'm not using one (unless my ISP is doing weird shit behind my back). To the bat-signal!

Dear God, how can I get that to happen to me?

Greeper on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ergandar wrote: »
    I watched the first episode of Gundam 00 about 4 months ago and I found its "show don't tell" style rather appealing.

I had no clue which character was which though.

I haven't watched hardly any of the dub but I found their voices to be very distinctive in Japanese. The dub sounded kind of bland, but maybe that was just early on. You can always go by the color of their outfit, Gundam, and role.

Setsuna wears blue, is the pilot of Gundam Exia (melee).
    Lockon wears green, is the pilot of Gundam Dynames (sniper).
    Tieria wears purple, is the pilot of Gundam Virtue (heavy assault).
    Allelujah wear orange, is the pilot of Gundam Kyrios (air superiority).

None of the groups that I follow have released that yet. Even the one that isn't a slowpoke (read: not Menclave). None of those ever release on the same day that it airs, either.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I remember that!

That was...nyoron right? Those subs were hilarious. Sometime I should check out their subs to see if they're still doing that. I saw a comparison for season 2 but it was just a few screens and probably doesn't accurately convey the level of unintentional homosexuality.

Slicer on
  • Options
    LepLep Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Wasn't that the group that just used babelfish for translating?

Lep on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I remember that!

That was...nyoron right? Those subs were hilarious. Sometime I should check out their subs to see if they're still doing that. I saw a comparison for season 2 but it was just a few screens and probably doesn't accurately convey the level of unintentional homosexuality.
    Nyoro~n had a mistranslation on Might Gaine.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I remember that!

I...have no idea what that is.
    Lep wrote: »

I would not be surprised at all to hear that.

I did find that blog post from awhile ago that detailed it. A fun read if only to see how gay the subs made Graham.

Slicer on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I mentioned the one that I tried was. I might make a post on their forums and see if an admin could help. You're still getting the 403 Forbidden errors, right?

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So guys, I have a confession to make

I've never watched Cowboy Bebop before

My friend lent me the Perfect Session box set to watch over the school break next week

Nobody ruin this for me

Godfather on
  • Options
    LepLep Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Its got music and stuff.

Lep on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Godfather wrote: »

My friend lent me the Perfect Session box set to watch over the school break next week

Nobody ruin this for me

Mother of God how did you go this long without watching it

When you decide you want to buy it there's a remix box set for like thirty bucks that has 5.1 dolby digital and everything

And then watch Samurai Champloo, it's just as excellent

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I mentioned the one that I tried was. I might make a post on their forums and see if an admin could help. You're still getting the 403 Forbidden errors, right?

Yeah, but I just now found that using a proxy actually lets me go there (at cost of constant ads and slower page loads) :S

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I remember that!

I...have no idea what that is.
    Lep wrote: »

I would not be surprised at all to hear that.

I did find that blog post from awhile ago that detailed it. A fun read if only to see how gay the subs made Graham.
    Might Gaine was a member of the same "Brave" series as GaoGaiGar was the conclusion of. think of it as Japan's more Hot Blooded, Super Robot themed Trasformers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uODpVhtH824

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    And now back to having the G 00 ending theme stuck in my head for another week.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Which one? Friends?

I like the new OP for the second season (Namida no Mukou). I don't think new the ED isn't as good as Prototype, though.

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Nobody ruin this for me

You will almost certainly enjoy it.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I've never watched Cowboy Bebop before [...] Nobody ruin this for me
    OH HO THE SHOE IS ON THE OTHER FOOT NOW ISN'T IT?!

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Which one? Friends?

I like the new OP for the second season (Namida no Mukou). I don't think new the ED isn't as good as Prototype, though.
    The current one.

Though I still like the very first ED the best, for some reason.

Der Waffle Mous on
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I've been working my way through Moonlight Mile, and I realized I had watched and abandoned the first ep years ago. It starts out well with a hard sci-fi setting, and then BAM, Gundams on the Moon. Then there is the absurd OP animation replete with Star Wars style space battles.

However, once I got past that I was pleasantly surprised to find a Planetes-like story about semi-realistic space exploration. An entire episode focuses on stopping a slight rotation in an ISS module, for instance. It even features conflict in the middle east due to H3 production on the moon. And a surprising amount of sex.

The art is not great (characters are rather ugly, but it fits), and it might go in a ridiculous direction later in the series, but for the first 4 eps at least it has been quite good.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    So what the hell is up with Bleach? Is it back on filler? I seethe with generic rage if it is.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Digimon is another extreme example, despite being MOTW and episodic, it had some REALLY stand out moments, like this,

That's not character development. That's a walking, or I guess flying, cliche.

The best example I can think of right now is actually Saul Tigh. On a similar note, Babylon 5 had Londo Mollari.

As for some good anime examples, FLCL and Haruhi obviously come to mind. Code Geass maybe, although I'm not sure about that. Eureka 7. Host Club. Gundam 0080.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Arkady wrote: »
    So what the hell is up with Bleach? Is it back on filler? I seethe with generic rage if it is.

Two episodes.

Back to canon this week.

Jragghen on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    And what about Adult Swim Bleach? Good God, I want this Bount shit to end, why won't it end!?

Worse yet, is there anything that carries over from this arc that I'll have to be aware of? Becuase I've been skipping it the whole time.
    Rukia stayed behind when the Soul Society arc ended, but she returned in the Bount filler. How did the manga handle this? Did she stay behind originally, too?

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Which one? Friends?

The current one.

Though I still like the very first ED the best, for some reason.

"Their clockwork hearts are manipulated by destiny,
    The tin-plate soldiers begin their massacre."

How appropriate for the series. Daybreak's Bell is my favorite OP for 00. I really like Hyde's vocals.
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Arkady wrote: »

Two episodes.

Back to canon this week.

Isn't it Turn Back The Pendulum? That has the potential to be good.
    And what about Adult Swim Bleach? Good God, I want this Bount shit to end, why won't it end!?

Worse yet, is there anything that carries over from this arc that I'll have to be aware of? Becuase I've been skipping it the whole time.
    Rukia stayed behind when the Soul Society arc ended, but she returned in the Bount filler. How did the manga handle this? Did she stay behind originally, too?

I believe the Bount arc is 100% original to the anime, so the manga didn't address anything :P

Barrakketh on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I thought the Bount arc was somewhat redeemed by the Bounts being motherfucking Stand users.
    The Mayuri vs. Old Guy with a Whale fight was a straight-up homage to JJBA. It played out somewhat similarly to Polnareff's fight with Vanilla Ice in Part 3, except when Mayuri got chunks of his body eaten, he's just all 'meh, superscience' and regenerated them with an injection.

Also, re: Toradora 18:
    To all those exasperated with Ryuuji for his "I'm sorry, what" response to Ami, he probably remembers how she was all "I CAN GET ANY GUY I WANT WRAPPED AROUND MY LITTLE FINGER, EVEN YOUR PRECIOUS RYUUJI" to Taiga earlier in the series, and is wary because of that. I would be, at least.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009

If memory serves, since a friend of mine is watching the dub, you've got 9 more episodes, give or take.
    She stayed behind originally in the manga. If anything, the anime filler kinda cheapens her return. :/

Jragghen on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    I've never watched Cowboy Bebop before [...] Nobody ruin this for me
    OH HO THE SHOE IS ON THE OTHER FOOT NOW ISN'T IT?!

[spoler]It's got a dog in it[/spoiler]

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I thought the Bount arc was somewhat redeemed by the Bounts being motherfucking Stand users.
    The Mayuri vs. Old Guy with a Whale fight was a straight-up homage to JJBA. It played out somewhat similarly to Polnareff's fight with Vanilla Ice in Part 3, except when Mayuri got chunks of his body eaten, he's just all 'meh, superscience' and regenerated them with an injection.

Huh, I hadn't thought of it like that, but I guess it's true. Still pretty horrible filler though, my favorite part is the background music with spooky voices saying "EEEEVIL! DAAAARKNESS!" over and over again.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009

That's not character development. That's a walking, or I guess flying, cliche.

The best example I can think of right now is actually Saul Tigh. On a similar note, Babylon 5 had Londo Mollari.

As for some good anime examples, FLCL and Haruhi obviously come to mind. Code Geass maybe, although I'm not sure about that. Eureka 7. Host Club. Gundam 0080.
    What,
    Wizarmon's death, and Hikari and Tailmon's Character Dev.

was where Adventure really came into it's own and established Digimon as a really great series.

Clawshrimpy on
This discussion has been closed.