Options

I used to watch it all the time, but back then it was called [Japanimation]

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Not really, the later Harry Potter books became a fairly bleak Kill Em all. Just with an easy to understand prose.
    That doesn't mean they weren't meant for "young adults."

Most works require you to remember what happened previously because then it becomes a collection of loosely connected episodes like Odyssey rather than a continuous story .

Couscous on
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Guys, stop baiting the troll.

Who else likes Skip Beat!?

Tell me I'm not alone.

Greeper on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Greeper wrote: »

Tell me I'm not alone.

A bunch of my lady friends like it, does that help at all?

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    LepLep Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Soo the latest episode of Casshern felt like a waste.

Lep on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    We get it, Shrimpy. You can't handle anything made for people over 16.
    Not really, the later Harry Potter books became a fairly bleak Kill Em all. Just with an easy to understand prose.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt -- Mark Twain

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Quid wrote: »
    why do you have to constantly remember everything that's happened up to that point to understand a story. that's REALLY bad structure.
    Seriously people. Books suck.
    It really depends on the prose. Harry Potter is easy to understand, while Lord of the Rings....well.....isn't.
    You have to remember past chapters in order to understand what's going on.

That's bad structure.

Quid on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Olivaw wrote: »
    Jobastion wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »
    OLDER THINGS YOU MIGHT NOT HAVE WATCHED YET BUT SHOULD

Samurai Champloo. I never hear anyone talk about it but it's just as good as Cowboy Bebop and everyone who liked that should watch it. I don't care that you don't like hiphop, just watch it. Christ.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. It's slow, thoughtful, occasionally philosophical, subdued, rarely funny, and has maybe one action sequences per episode, if that. And yet it's one of the best television series I've ever watched. Both series are on Netflix Instant, so watch it and see if it tickles your fancy as much as it does mine.

Big O. Basically it's Batman except instead of dressing up as a bat he climbs into a giant robot. This show is engineered from the ground up to be the coolest thing since sliced bread and it succeeds on a huge level.

G Gundam. THIS HAND OF MINE IS BURNING RED! IT'S LOUD ROAR TELLS ME TO GRASP VICTORY!

Seriously though if giant robots kung fu fighting makes you happy in any way, you should watch G Gundam.

Sub point. If clawing your eyes out thru the back of your head makes you happy, watch the dub of G Gundam that aired on Cartoon Network instead of the sub. It's that much more enjoyable in english.
    I actually can't bring myself to watch this sub'd after having been exposed to exactly two dub'd episodes. What was heard cannot be unheard.

The other shows are all awesome in both dub and sub'd.

Hey fuck you!

The dub of G Gundam is perfect and flawless in every way!

G GUNDAM DEFENSE FORCE HERE.

G Gundam seriously has an all time great dub. It's maybe the best dub ever done.

See Olivaw, we don't always need to fight.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well still, there are stories "meant for children" that still have a worthwile narritive to older readers and viewers.

Harry Poter and Digimon share a lot in common in that respect.

Last few Harry Potter books.
    Dumbledore's death was kind of a big deal, and Deathy Hollows had a LOT of Kill Em All moments.

Digimon:
    In Adventure, as far as the titular monsters went, it was pretty damn Kill Em All. Wizarmon, Picclomon, Chumon, Sukamon, the Numemon, etc. Wizarmon's death in paticular was something very moving. in 02, it was amped up because the deaths included HUMANS. Sure, Oikawa's death was a Ben Kenobi death, but....It was still extremely moving, and incredibly shocking for a show about Artificial Intelligence intertubes monsters.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Lep wrote: »

Was kinda pointless, yeah. Sudden conflict and resolution, all in one episode. I still like Casshern, but complex it ain't.

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well still, there are stories "meant for children" that still have a worthwile narritive to older readers and viewers.

Dumbledore's death was kind of a big deal, and Deathy Hollows had a LOT of Kill Em All moments.

Digimon:
    In Adventure, as far as the titular monsters went, it was pretty damn Kill Em All. Wizarmon, Picclomon, Chumon, Sukamon, the Numemon, etc. Wizarmon's death in paticular was something very moving. in 02, it was amped up because the deaths included HUMANS. Sure, Oikawa's death was a Ben Kenobi death, but....It was still extremely moving, and incredibly shocking for a show about Artificial Intelligence intertubes monsters.

I wasn't aware that killing off characters was unique to Harry Potter and Digimon.

Slicer on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Was kinda pointless, yeah. Sudden conflict and resolution, all in one episode. I still like Casshern, but complex it ain't.
    See, I told you it was a step in the right direction.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

See, I told you it was a step in the right direction.

Fuck off, Shrimpy.

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Slicer wrote: »

Digimon:

I wasn't aware that killing off characters was unique to Harry Potter and Digimon.
    No, jsut shocking for something that is "seen as kiddie."

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Tvtropes isn't something for citing. And you haven't explained why chapters aren't bad structure.

Quid on
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    kdrudy wrote: »

Tell me I'm not alone.

A bunch of my lady friends like it, does that help at all?

No...

(yes)

Greeper on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Quid wrote: »
    Tvtropes isn't something for citing. And you haven't explained why chapters aren't bad structure.
    It depends on whather it's something that's easy to recall rather than something that's hard to recall. like how many details there are and such between chapters. Lord of the RIngs was particularly bad with this, as Tolkien would often go for upwards of 9 pages describing a building or environment.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Ergandar wrote: »
    This will either be the greatest or the worst thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwPbrA5jfGU

It is the greatest worst thing I have ever seen.

You win this thread and can now take your Clawshrimpy home!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think the point is that Shrimpy is just waiting for someone to invent the ten-second sitcom.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I think the point is that Shrimpy is just waiting for someone to invent the ten-second sitcom.

An anime adaption of Wario Ware?

Slicer on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    And a new Hetalia is out. Italy sings a wonderful song about Germany and the large women there.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Azumanga Daioh was originally broadcast in five-minute segments a day, with the 30-minute compilation with op/ed at the end of each week.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    That reminds me, I need to watch more Azumanga Daioh.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Same here, I remember liking the first couple of episodes, but quit watching for whatever reason.

Lep on
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Everytime Shrimpy links TVTropes I die a little inside. Seriously, man, it's fun to browse and laugh about the entries there, but it does not serve as a constant, reliable knowledge base that you can cite all the time.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    darksteel wrote: »
    Everytime Shrimpy links TVTropes I die a little inside. Seriously, man, it's fun to browse and laugh about the entries there, but it does not serve as a constant, reliable knowledge base that you can cite all the time.
    It's a wiki.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    It's a wiki.

And? So?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    It's a wiki.

And? So?
    a Wiki is a source of information, and it shouldn't be a big deal to link to it.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    It's a wiki.

And? So?
    a Wiki is a source of information, and it shouldn't be a big deal to link to it.

It's a big deal if you link to it all the fucking time.

Which is exactly what he was complaining about.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    It's a wiki.

And? So?

Well so what, it explains things better than I can.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    CyborgZetaCyborgZeta Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

G Gundam seriously has an all time great dub. It's maybe the best dub ever done.

I can't listen to G Gundam's dub anymore. Especially due to the name changes (God becomes Burning). I originally watched it dubbed on Toonami but after watching it subbed I can't go back.

But, I also think Big O is better in Japanese. I like the way Roger talks in Japanese.

CyborgZeta on
    "Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    SO GUYS, HOW ABOUT THAT MARIA HOLIC EH? I HEAR IT HAS LESBIANS AND STUFF.
    Maria has a twin. Voiced by Aya Hirano. Named Shizu.

Zandracon on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hey, Zandracon, get in the Pokémon Phalla and vote for TehSpectre. DO IT.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Whats in the bag?!?!

Lep on
  • Options
    DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's been a while since I tried pushing the show, but the question remains: Why have like none of you seen 'Flag' yet? :p

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    they stopped subbing it half way through, and now I have to pay money to watch it. I didn't think there was a boxset out yet.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Tell me I'm not alone.

Horus also likes it, and I put his recommendation in the OP :P

I was prepared to rage at the Yugioh/Baccano! parody, but it was charming. Especially liked the spoof ad at the end.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    CyborgZeta wrote: »

I can't listen to G Gundam's dub anymore. Especially due to the name changes (God becomes Burning). I originally watched it dubbed on Toonami but after watching it subbed I can't go back.

But, I also think Big O is better in Japanese. I like the way Roger talks in Japanese.

To be fair, the censorship is a tad annoying, and in some cases a bit weird.

VA though I prefer the dub.

Big O is good both ways, though a buddy of mine reached a startling conclusion. The giant robot parts are the worst part of the show, the Bruce Wayne parts however are fantastic.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Dorothy for the win.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    the best thing about the original Big O is Schwarzvald had an AWESOME seiyuu.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    darksteeldarksteel Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    It's a wiki.

And? So?

Well so what, it explains things better than I can.

Normally, I don't really have a problem with that. But see, you link to it in such frequency, and with such non-chalantness, that I don't really feel it's you talking anymore. I feel like TVTropes is alive, using you as a channel, to talk to me. It's not your points, anymore. It's TVTropes'. It would be better if you made a point, and linked TVTropes saying, "there are some good examples of my point over here." But you don't. It's just "here take this nugget of wisdom as brought to you by TVTropes, the definitive source for anything fiction-related."

This is the last you'll hear from me in this argument, as I swore I was never gonna talk to you again. You win, if that makes you feel happy.
    Zandracon wrote:
    SO GUYS, HOW ABOUT THAT MARIA HOLIC EH? I HEAR IT HAS LESBIANS AND STUFF.

I find it a funny little show. Very fast-paced, and filled with all manner of 1-second "pause the damn video" gags. I usually don't watch flowery romance shows, but this has some great comedy that makes it a keeper. And it's nice to hear the voice work keeping up with it. The voice actor for the main heroine in particular is very funny to listen to.

darksteel on
    shikisig6-1.jpg
This discussion has been closed.