Options

Mormons are fucking prompt

• Options
    kingkhankingkhan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hunter wrote: »
    Also, that whole baptism Mormon thing for already deceased non-Mormons, yeah, that's fucking wrong. It just is. Stop that. Don't defend it, because you're just wrong.

Why is this so horrible to you? It's just like "Hey, dude. Do you want this baptism" and they go "Yes" or "No thanks."

Damn. When you visit peoples' houses do you punch the host in the face for asking if you'd like a cookie?

Yes, I compared Mormonism to a cookie. Leave it.

kingkhan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    kingkhan wrote: »
    Weaver wrote: »
    oh man somebody last page mentioned the "your own planet thing"

Yeah, so there is some kind of mormom belief that if you do everything right, when you die you get to become god of your own universe, only you still have within this new universe adhere to the laws of where you came from, that god itself being the spirit of somebody who died before you and fffffffffffffffff

It's my understanding that that is intepretation.

It says God sent us here to learn from our trials and tribulations to be more like Him. That doesn't mean when we turn 16 we get the keys to our own universe.

Eh... it is a pretty well known concept of Mormonism that believing men intend to have many wives in heaven, carrying on multiple sex relations throughout eternity, until they have enough children to populate their own earth, so they can be "Heavenly Father" over their own planet... This isn't interpenetration, it is a facet of the religion.

Edit: Pretty much what Weaver quoted.

It is a PR stunt to try to gloss over things like this.

GRMike on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] new member
    edited February 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ObiFett wrote: »

Yeah, so there is some kind of mormom belief that if you do everything right, when you die you get to become god of your own universe, only you still have within this new universe adhere to the laws of where you came from, that god itself being the spirit of somebody who died before you and fffffffffffffffff

Puppies grow up to be Dogs. Kitties grow up to be Cats. Children of God grow up to be?
    Adults

no no

puppies grow up to be wonderdog

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    Run Run RunRun Run Run __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Also, that whole baptism Mormon thing for already deceased non-Mormons, yeah, that's fucking wrong. It just is. Stop that. Don't defend it, because you're just wrong.

Why is this so horrible to you? It's just like "Hey, dude. Do you want this baptism" and they go "Yes" or "No thanks."

Damn. When you visit peoples' houses do you punch the host in the face for asking if you'd like a cookie?

You are performing religious rituals on people against their will. That is wrong.

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
  • Options
    GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Is...is that reincarnation or something

Like reincarnating into God.

GRMike on
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I used to work with a Mormon dude. Nicest motherfucker I ever met.

and his wife was smoking hot.

she could have been model.

or a high priced call girl.

mcp on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I can't see about 25% of the posts on the last page did anything happen

Basically we talked about why Prop 8 shouldn't have been passed and was wrong and wondered why you're so up in arms towards me about it.

At least I wondered that, anyway. I'm right there with you on the banning gay marriage thing, man.

I totally understand that, but you're still joining a church that donated 32 million dollars to ban gay marriage in two states

you don't see anything ethically wrong about that

how do your reconcile your belief that gay marriage is okay and then join a group of people who don't!

Because I believe that anyone can believe what they want. Just because my newly found peers have a seemingly overwhelming tendency to try to force that belief on people doesn't mean I have to, nor does it mean that's what God or Jesus wants.

I am joining the church because I believe in God, Jesus and the Holy Ghost and that I was sent here to better myself as a person.

kingkhan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    You guys I am very confused

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

Really? Here's an analogy:

Imagine there a ton of people who think that the Australia is going to fall into the ocean during the year 2020. So this group of people want to save everyone who lives in the Australia but, knowing that not everyone has the means to save themselves, they go out and buy plots of land and plane tickets for everyone who lives in Australia. Would you be offended if you had a relative that lived in Australia?

Its the same thing. By doing the work for the deceased, all they are doing is "buying them a ticket". The relatives who have passed on don't have to use it. In fact, they are taking time out of their schedule to "help" people they don't even know. Its seems pretty non-offensive if you ask me.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

You are performing religious rituals on people against their will. That is wrong.

dead people

who have 100% agency in accepting the ordinance or not

And this is wrong, how?

MrDelish on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I am the most liberal Mormon you will ever meet.

Well, I will be. I haven't been baptized yet.

I am going to avoid political discussions with them at all costs though.

kingkhan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Kingkhan, have they told you about the starbase Kolob yet?

GRMike on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »

Puppies grow up to be Dogs. Kitties grow up to be Cats. Children of God grow up to be?

Alec Baldwin?
    I thought Alec Baldwin was the cool one.

It's kind of a movie reference in two steps.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

that is a good choice, since a lot of us still use the "I don't know much about x political situation, but I sure don't like it" stance

MrDelish on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited February 2009
    the anglican church will support anything as long as they get to be a bit wishy washy about it

bongi on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    this thread didn't go in the direction i wanted at all

i am so confused by mormon beliefs

are you guys high

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009

90% of my mormon friends (here in Utah) are Dems. It just depends on who you choose to hang out with.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Butters wrote: »
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Basically prop 8 is gonna be soooo fucked in the State's High Court.

Will it? It's not like marriage is a constitutionally recognized right.

Whether it's marriage or whatever isn't the issue, it's a religious institution. Were there a legal edifice recognizing and conferring certain rights and tax benefits on people who have been baptized it would be a similar establishment clause violation. We accept that marriage can be a legal institution entirely separate from religion so we can keep doing it, but as soon as you start saying "only this type of marriage is recognized by the state," then you have an equal protection issue and arguably a free exercise issue. It would be as though you started recognizing only Catholic baptisms, but not Protestant or Mormon ones.

The crux of the issue in the California court is that the language directly contradicts another part of the State's constitution, and thus isn't just an amendment but a revision, which requires a 2/3rds majority approval of the State Legislature and not just a simple majority vote at the polls. (which is a fucking retarded way to amend a Constitution anyway)

If, somehow, it passes that test according to the CA Court, it will doubtless go on to the Supreme Court, where the First and Fourteenth violations would come into play.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
  • Options
    edited February 2009

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Why the Mormon church specifically, then? Why not the Anglican church (considering they support gay marriage, have gay bishops, etc)?

Or you know...a real church.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited February 2009

Imagine there a ton of people who think that the Australia is going to fall into the ocean during the year 2020. So this group of people want to save everyone who lives in the Australia but knowing that not everyone has the means to save themselves they go out and buy plots of land and plane tickets for everyone who lives in Australia. Would you be offended if you had a relative that lived in Australia?

Its the same thing. By doing the work for the deceased, all they are doing is "buying them a ticket". The relatives who have passed on don't have to use it. In fact, they are taking time out of their schedule to "help" people they don't even know. Its seems pretty non-offensive if you ask me.
    how about if a bunch of muslims went around converting you to islam after you died

bongi on
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    GRMike wrote: »
    Kingkhan, have they told you about the starbase Kolob yet?
    Okay, wait a minute.

I never really looked into Mormon beliefs but...
    We believe that human beings inhabit the Moon. The Mormon Seer and Revelator, Brigham Young, for whom a University is named, revealed in 1870, that the Mormon MOON-MEN were similar to earthlings, except that they are much taller. Moon-men, Young teaches us, dress like Quakers. Brigham Young -- in a vision -- had visited the inhabitants on the far side of the Moon...

Is this shit for real?

edit: oh, hey. beated.

mcp on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Fandyien wrote: »
    this thread didn't go in the direction i wanted at all

i am so confused by mormon beliefs

are you guys high
    The Articles of Faith
    of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

1. We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.

2. We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam's transgression.

3. We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.

4. We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

5. We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.

6. We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.

7. We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.

8. We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.

9. We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

10. We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.

11. We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

12. We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.

13. We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.

MrDelish on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    What's their stance on God and Bible events, specifically?

I come from a Catholic family, whose God was an evil bastard that sent babies to Hell and punished everyone because Adam and Eve ate an apple.

I chose the Mormon church because my Mormon girlfriend at the time did not push her beliefs on me, her morals grew on me an she seemed genuinely happier than I.

I started researching it independently, and things started clicking and it felt right. When I pray, I feel good. Know that this is coming from a year-long period of struggling to feel happiness and wanting to kill myself. So this sudden and extreme change to happiness kind of makes me faithful.

Also the community is amazing, aside from their misguided banning of gay marriage.

kingkhan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Why the Mormon church specifically, then? Why not the Anglican church (considering they support gay marriage, have gay bishops, etc)?

They do? And to think the were in talks with the Catholic church on a merger.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    the gift of tongues

:l

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Imagine there a ton of people who think that the Australia is going to fall into the ocean during the year 2020. So this group of people want to save everyone who lives in the Australia but knowing that not everyone has the means to save themselves they go out and buy plots of land and plane tickets for everyone who lives in Australia. Would you be offended if you had a relative that lived in Australia?

Yes really.

Here's an analogy.

When you die, I'm going to summon your soul into a crow's egg through a secret occult ceremony, rape it for satan, and then help you on your way to one of the demon dimensions of eternal sodomy. Because it's my opinion that it's better for you, and it's just kind of fun. None of your family or anyone alive who may know your wants or wishes has the right to say anything, because I know better. It's the one true religion and I believe it. I'm buying you a ticket on the greyhound to hell in a handbasket, so don't be so ungrateful.

Don't be offended.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    bongi wrote: »

how about if a bunch of muslims went around converting you to islam after you died

We don't convert them, jackass. We give them the chance to be fully accepted into the church should they choose to accept the gospel and the baptism.

They could give us a big fat "fuck no" if they want.

kingkhan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Run Run RunRun Run Run __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    MrDelish wrote: »

dead people

who have 100% agency in accepting the ordinance or not

And this is wrong, how?

Oh, dead people? Don't you guys believe in life after death?
    Or does one lose one's religious freedom after dieing?

It just shows that you guys have no respect for other people's believes.

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Gay Marriage is "banned" because it goes against their goal- to grow their own population here on earth so they can populate their own planet in the afterlife.

Dude... it is a cult.

GRMike on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    oh man, hunter, start chalking up that pentagram because i am ready to get summoned. just don't activate my trap card.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    bongi wrote: »

Thats the thing. The baptism doesn't FORCE people to be mormon. Its just an option they get to accept or reject in the next life.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    conclusion: you guys are fucking insane

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Yes really.

Here's an analogy.

When you die, I'm going to summon your soul into a crow's egg through a secret occult ceremony, rape it for satan, and then help you on your way to one of the demon dimensions of eternal sodomy. Because it's my opinion that it's better for you, and it's just kind of fun. None of your family or anyone alive who may know your wants or wishes has the right to say anything, because I know better. It's the one true religion and I believe it. I'm buying you a ticket on the greyhound to hell in a handbasket, so don't be so ungrateful.

Don't be offended.

Yeah, that's the same thing.

kingkhan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The fact that people still think we don't know what is on the far side of the moon or think there is a dark side of the moon is just baffling to me.

NotASenator on
This discussion has been closed.