Options

Mormons are fucking prompt

• Options
    Run Run RunRun Run Run __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    MrDelish wrote: »
    except that analogy is not...analogous

A person that has baptism done in their favor has complete agency to accept or reject the ordinance

Just that baptism is not something one can reject when performed on one.

Last time I checked babies had no say whether they wanted to be baptized or not and it still counted.

man you just don't listen, do you

Having an ordinance done for someone that's already dead does not mean that they're saved and will go to heaven 4ever. The person can accept or reject the ordinance

is that really so hard to understand

plus we do not baptize babbies

Well, maybe people don't want that ordinance. How about that?

Also the plane ticket analogy fails, because one is a worldly, the other a religious matter.

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    NotACrook wrote: »
    Fandyien wrote: »
    GRMike wrote: »
    The fact that people still think we don't know what is on the far side of the moon or think there is a dark side of the moon is just baffling to me.

Moon Nazis.

Iron Sky is gonna be so great

was that about the nazi base on the moon and them attacking in the future or something awesome like that

Yes. it will be glorious.

Is this supposed to be an alternate past thing where there was spaceflight in the 40s and we haven't been to the Moon or what?

ultimately, I don't think it matters

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

A person that has baptism done in their favor has complete agency to accept or reject the ordinance

Last time I checked babies had no say whether they wanted to be baptized or not and it still counted.

Having an ordinance done for someone that's already dead does not mean that they're saved and will go to heaven 4ever. The person can accept or reject the ordinance

Um... it isn't so the "person" can accept or reject the "ordinance". It is so the patriarch can welcome the unbelieving family member into the planet after death.

I'm serious... any of you can read about this shit...

GRMike on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited February 2009
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    kingkhankingkhan Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Wait, is this all a Valentine's attempt to get her back?

Oh, that is so cute.

I started the wanting to be converted thing before I dumped her.

For a second there you had me. I was all "oh shit oh shit I hope she doesn't think that," but then I remembered.

kingkhan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    BSG lifted the quaram of the twelve straight out of mormonism

also kolob=kobol= Joseph Smith is the 13th cylon

Weaver on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited February 2009
    bongi wrote: »
    Can I get this straight

You sprinkle water or jam or whatever on a dead person

And then say its up to them to decide whether to accept it

It's up to a dead person to decide whether to accept having water or jam sprinkled on them

no

just a normal baptism, except a live person does it in behalf of another (like, the wording even changes to "so and so I baptize you for and in behalf of such and such)

the last line is accurate, except no jam
    but that person is dead

bongi on
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Butters wrote: »
    Where the fuck did all these mormons come from?
    Space, from what I can gather.

mcp on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Can I get this straight

It's up to a dead person to decide whether to accept having water or jam sprinkled on them

no

just a normal baptism, except a live person does it in behalf of another (like, the wording even changes to "so and so I baptize you for and in behalf of such and such)

but that person is dead

What are you saying? That you don't believe in life after death?

Then what's the problem? How can you offend a dead person if the fact that they're dead prevents receiving the ordinance anyway?

kingkhan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Weaver wrote: »
    Hunter wrote: »
    Hey Hunter wanna help me build this altar to Chaos Undivided?

Sure, I got some skulls for the skull throne.

Rad. I'll grab some ebola from the lab for the nurgling summons

I'll go get a bucket of KY jelly for the Slaanesh orgy afterwards.

Hunter on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Also the plane ticket analogy fails, because one is a worldly, the other a religious matter.

fine

the person rejects it, and the ordinance, while still having been done, is invalid because the person refused it. It's basically the same as if someone in this life were baptized then later doesn't accept it

MrDelish on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Fandyien wrote: »
    GRMike wrote: »
    The fact that people still think we don't know what is on the far side of the moon or think there is a dark side of the moon is just baffling to me.

Moon Nazis.

Iron Sky is gonna be so great

was that about the nazi base on the moon and them attacking in the future or something awesome like that

Yes. it will be glorious.

Is this supposed to be an alternate past thing where there was spaceflight in the 40s and we haven't been to the Moon or what?

Nah, I think the movie just assumes people don't know jack shit about that particular area of the dark side. Plot devise etc bla bla.

Basically the Nazis flew up in secret and now return to take out the US.

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    mcp wrote: »

Did they hitch a ride with the scientologists?

Hunter on
  • Options
    The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm not letting this getting BOTP cause I would like an answer
    kingkhan wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Also, that whole baptism Mormon thing for already deceased non-Mormons, yeah, that's fucking wrong. It just is. Stop that. Don't defend it, because you're just wrong.

Really? Here's an analogy:

Imagine there a ton of people who think that the Australia is going to fall into the ocean during the year 2020. So this group of people want to save everyone who lives in the Australia but knowing that not everyone has the means to save themselves they go out and buy plots of land and plane tickets for everyone who lives in Australia. Would you be offended if you had a relative that lived in Australia?

Its the same thing. By doing the work for the deceased, all they are doing is "buying them a ticket". The relatives who have passed on don't have to use it. In fact, they are taking time out of their schedule to "help" people they don't even know. Its seems pretty non-offensive if you ask me.
    how about if a bunch of muslims went around converting you to islam after you died

We don't convert them, jackass. We give them the chance to be fully accepted into the church should they choose to accept the gospel and the baptism.

They could give us a big fat "fuck no" if they want.
    Baptism for the Dead allows this saving ordinance to be offered to all those who have previously passed on without having heard of the Gospel of Jesus. If baptism is a required ordinance, as Mormons believe is evidenced by Jesus's own desire to receive it from John the Baptist, then this ordinance becomes a burden for all those who wish to spread the Gospel with all the inhabitants of the earth who have previously passed on to the afterlife.

So if one is a Mormon, it is their duty as part of spreading the Gospel to see that those who passed on receive baptism after death. Perhaps they did not wanted to be Saved. Or even receive the rite of Baptism. Which in a way is incomprehensible because who wants to burn in Hell for all eternity? Still, people need to reach Jesus through their own path (and perhaps with some guidance from fellow Christians), but that does not mean you get to baptize them without their consent. Otherwise you're forcing you beliefs onto someone else and doesn't that not violate number 11 of the Articles of Faith?
    11. We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    You know what, fuck it. The church will excommunicate me for this but oh well, here it is.

We are a cult. We are from space and we are aliens. We are trying to assimilate you. Quit fucking resisting. Futile etc.

Technically we are the Inhumans, and if you try to find our moon base we will kill you and then baptize you against your will.

kingkhan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited February 2009
    Can I get this straight

no

but that person is dead

Then what's the problem? How can you offend a dead person if the fact that they're dead prevents receiving the ordinance anyway?
    But it doesn't prevent them receiving it, because you still sprinkle water on them

bongi on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Hey Hunter wanna help me build this altar to Chaos Undivided?

Sure, I got some skulls for the skull throne.

Rad. I'll grab some ebola from the lab for the nurgling summons

I'll go get a bucket of KY jelly for the Slaanesh orgy afterwards.

And then Tzeetnch shows up at the end of the ritual and transmutes us all in the eucharist

Weaver on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    No, just at the end of WWII, the Nazis have a breakthrough with Antigravity, and set up the 4th Reich on the moon

their decendants return to attack earth in 2018

And what about the part where a bunch of probes and lunar missions and stuff flew around the moon, that stuff didn't happen?

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

This post cracked me up.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

The end days will begin with a galactic war between Xenu and his minions, and the Mormon Space Federation.

mcp on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Joseph Smith has 11 letters in his name

Quaram of the 12

12 + 11 = 23

IT'S RIGHT THERE MAN!

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I'm not letting this getting BOTP cause I would like an answer
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Also, that whole baptism Mormon thing for already deceased non-Mormons, yeah, that's fucking wrong. It just is. Stop that. Don't defend it, because you're just wrong.

Really? Here's an analogy:

Imagine there a ton of people who think that the Australia is going to fall into the ocean during the year 2020. So this group of people want to save everyone who lives in the Australia but knowing that not everyone has the means to save themselves they go out and buy plots of land and plane tickets for everyone who lives in Australia. Would you be offended if you had a relative that lived in Australia?

Its the same thing. By doing the work for the deceased, all they are doing is "buying them a ticket". The relatives who have passed on don't have to use it. In fact, they are taking time out of their schedule to "help" people they don't even know. Its seems pretty non-offensive if you ask me.
    how about if a bunch of muslims went around converting you to islam after you died

We don't convert them, jackass. We give them the chance to be fully accepted into the church should they choose to accept the gospel and the baptism.

They could give us a big fat "fuck no" if they want.
    Baptism for the Dead allows this saving ordinance to be offered to all those who have previously passed on without having heard of the Gospel of Jesus. If baptism is a required ordinance, as Mormons believe is evidenced by Jesus's own desire to receive it from John the Baptist, then this ordinance becomes a burden for all those who wish to spread the Gospel with all the inhabitants of the earth who have previously passed on to the afterlife.

So if one is a Mormon, it is their duty as part of spreading the Gospel to see that those who passed on receive baptism after death. Perhaps they did not wanted to be Saved. Or even receive the rite of Baptism. Which in a way is incomprehensible because who wants to burn in Hell for all eternity? Still, people need to reach Jesus through their own path (and perhaps with some guidance from fellow Christians), but that does not mean you get to baptize them without their consent. Otherwise you're forcing you beliefs onto someone else and doesn't that not violate number 11 of the Articles of Faith?
    11. We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

That's not forcing your beliefs. That's the same as going "Would you like to hear what I have to say about the gospel?"

If they say no, you moved on. If they say yes, then I bet they're damn happy you did it.

And baptism is not necessary to get into Heaven.

kingkhan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    You're reading too deeply into a sci-fi parody film, bro

Oh, I didn't know it was a parody.

That makes sense then.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

fine

the person rejects it, and the ordinance, while still having been done, is invalid because the person refused it. It's basically the same as if someone in this life were baptized then later doesn't accept it

Or how about you guys don't perform it in the first place, instead of trying to justify it?

It clashes with other people's believes. They don't want your "help". But no, you go ahead and do it anyway. Total lack of respect.

(anyway, if you plan to respond, I am back in about 2 hours or so)

Run Run Run on
    kissing.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009

well, we are pretty prompt

MrDelish on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Can I get this straight

no

but that person is dead

But it doesn't prevent them receiving it, because you still sprinkle water on them

You don't actually sprinkle the corpse, dude. You just do it in their name in the temple.

kingkhan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Joseph Smith has 11 letters in his name

Quaram of the 12

12 + 11 = 23

IT'S RIGHT THERE MAN!

BLOWING MY MIND

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    IT'S ALL SO CLEAR NOW

ALL HAIL DISCORDIA

Weaver on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

fine

Or how about you guys don't perform it in the first place, instead of trying to justify it?

It clashes with other people's believes. They don't want your "help". But no, you go ahead and do it anyway. Total lack of respect.

take it up with God

He's the one who asked us to do it, anyway

MrDelish on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited February 2009
    Can I get this straight

no

but that person is dead

You don't actually sprinkle the corpse, dude. You just do it in their name in the temple.
    Ohhh okay that's what I wasn't following

bongi on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

fine

(anyway, if you plan to respond, I am back in about 2 hours or so)

Except unless you were personally, directly told by this person, while they were alive, to not tell them these things, that doesn't apply.

kingkhan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GRMikeGRMike The Last Best Hope for Humanity The God Pod Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    But have you discussed that your "God" isn't the Hebrew "God"? Because that is how the LDS reels in "christians".

GRMike on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Yeah. We're not actually going to grave sites and defiling their grave by sprinkling our hoodoo juice on it.

kingkhan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Can I get this straight

no

but that person is dead

That does make it seem a lot less bad, doesn't it?

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    IT'S ALL SO CLEAR NOW

ALL HAIL DISCORDIA

DUM DUM DEE DUM DUM DUM DEE DUM DUM

DUM DUM DEE DUM DUM DUM DEE DUM DUM

DUM DUM DEE DUM DUM DUM *Smack* SHUT YO MOUTH BITCH!

oh wait, discordia...not disturbia

Hunter on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

K, lets say one religion believes that everyone is going to be resurrected in 10 years. And their specific belief is that you have to wear a blue hat with your name on it in order to be transported to heaven. If they start buying blue hats, put everyone's names on the hats, and start storing them would you be offended if one of your deceased family member's names was on a hat? I would personally think it cute that some misguided religion was trying to save the whole of humanity. Wouldn't mean much to me except that they are trying to help everyone.

If the mormon religion isn't true, then you shouldn't be worried about the baptism anyways because they have no authority to offer your dead relatives the chance to accept the baptism. They would just be some misguided religion trying to save the whole world. Seems like a noble intent to me.

ObiFett on
This discussion has been closed.