Options

Octuplets & Being a single mother with 14 children.

• Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I agree with sentry.

Kevin Smith phrases should be avoided.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Sorry, they were using it so much I thought it was a more common term, but wiki and urbandictionary have no idea what i'm talking about either.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Sorry, they were using it so much I thought it was a more common term, but wiki and urbandictionary have no idea what i'm talking about either.

I heard about that on NPR... it was pretty controversial.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Having no exposure to that term the first thing that comes into my mind is using a pillow or pillow case to strangle or smother a child.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My first thought was that it was a makeshift blackjack, except instead of a sock and a cue ball it was a pillowcase and a baby (or babies?).

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    Joshua368Joshua368 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    bowen wrote: »
    Having no exposure to that term the first thing that comes into my mind is using a pillow or pillow case to strangle or smother a child.

Yeah I think that's what most of us assumed...

Joshua368 on
    58.png
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Joshua368 wrote: »

same here, but the actual proceedure doesn't sound like a very human thing to do either.

It sounds like it would effectively sterilize whoever went through it....no puberty=no kids am i rite? I think its clear who needs to be sterilized in this picture and its not the autistic kid

Dman on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Did you need to add anything else or were you irked that I had the audacity to state it?

Are you disappointed in me?

Do you wish to cry out your undying love for me?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My first thought was that it was a makeshift blackjack, except instead of a sock and a cue ball it was a pillowcase and a baby (or babies?).

wow, I would never thought of that in a million years.

tallgeeze on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Dman wrote: »

same here, but the actual proceedure doesn't sound like a very human thing to do either.

It sounds like it would effectively sterilize whoever went through it....no puberty=no kids am i rite? I think its clear who needs to be sterilized in this picture and its not the autistic kid

Aren't they generally sterile anyways? Due to their gene fuckmuppetry?

bowen on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I thought the term was "pillow angel" - although that might have been just one family's term.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2009
    tallgeeze wrote: »

Seriously.
    That was my first thought, too. :oops:

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2009
    Dman wrote: »

It's usually applied to kids who would have no hope of reproducing anyway, since they'd never be mature enough to handle either sex or raising a kid.

I wouldn't say the morality is clear cut, but you're talking about a person who will top out at maybe 4-5, both emotionally and intellectually, and will need to be permanently cared for as if they were a very small child. There are a host of advantages to the person not looking like or weighing as much as a full-grown adult, and you're not really depriving the person of anything meaningful, so...

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I thought the term was "pillow angel" - although that might have been just one family's term.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pillow_angel
    That picture creeps me out.

Couscous on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Listen.

She's going to get a reality show. She'll pay for people to take care of the kids when they're not filming.

This really isn't obvious to everyone?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Malkor wrote: »
    Listen.

She's going to get a reality show. She'll pay for people to take care of the kids when they're not filming.

No. Especially the part where a studio thinks this will draw ratings from Middle America.

moniker on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Listen.

Who the hell is going to give her a reality show? If she isn't competing with 12 other chefs or racing around the world with her kids in tow, I don't think she's gonna get shit.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited February 2009
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I dunno, she's already got a lot of ill-will associated with her, the publicist has got his work cut out for him. Plus if these other shows already exist, she's just going to be competing with them.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Right, both have been done, and no one has watched them, and, oh, yeah, the entire country wasn't united in hatred of the parents.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

They all have husbands, and a good number of the kids were more spaced out in regards to the Duggars, making it Brady Bunch meets reality TV. She's a single mom on food stamps mooching off her retired parents.

moniker on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Sentry wrote: »

Right, both have been done, and no one has watched them, and, oh, yeah, the entire country wasn't united in hatred of the parents.

I, for one, would watch an episode. Just one, to see the trainwreck as it happens.

But, even if she got herself a show it wouldn't last for more than three or four episodes. But, her prospects pretty much depend on how severely retarded the octuplets turn out to be.

Also, I love how the UK media calls her Octomom.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

The hatred will blow over with a few more intimate specials by talking heads. Plus TLC doesn't need ratings hits, they need content. I don't like being so cynical, but let's face it, TV never fails to lower the bar.

Malkor on
  • Options
    mystikspyralmystikspyral Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm pro in vitro, simply because my junk is messed up thanks to endometriosis and I'd like to have kids (one or two) of my own once I'm financially set enough to do so. If I have a hard time getting pregnant I'd like that option available to me. Yes, I know that there are many kids that need to be adopted but adoption is a lengthy, expensive process. Someone who can afford one or two kids may not be able to afford the lawyers and fees associated with trying to get an adopted child.

Humans can take anything to excess. In vitro can be abused. No one should have so many implants at once. This woman clearly could not take care of the kids she had and with this new bunch... it makes me wonder how long it is going to take before child welfare steps in.

mystikspyral on
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'Fuck the lemons,' and bail" :rotate:
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    The hatred will blow over with a few more intimate specials by talking heads. Plus TLC doesn't need ratings hits, they need content. I don't like being so cynical, but let's face it, TV never fails to lower the bar.
    What makes you think the hatred won't grow with a few more intimate specials by talking heads?

Couscous on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    tallgeeze wrote: »

Seriously.
    That was my first thought, too. :oops:
    Hi-five Jeffe, we're both fucked in the head. :^:

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The hatred would only be replaced with mild apathy, which would probably be worse for Octomom's prospects of a sideshow career.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    What makes you think the hatred won't grow with a few more intimate specials by talking heads?
    I personally think 24-hour news cycles tend to desensitize people to things they initially find outrageous.

Malkor on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The hatred would only be replaced with mild apathy, which would probably be worse for Octomom's prospects of a sideshow career.

If she was smart, she'd teach the kids to sing and go do some tent revivals... They are after all gods little miracles.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

If she was smart, she'd teach the kids to sing and go do some tent revivals... They are after all gods little miracles.

God had nothing to do with these, they are sciences mess. Let the doctors take the credit. :P

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    edited February 2009

God had nothing to do with these, they are sciences mess. Let the doctors take the credit. :P

She says it was god's will.

I guess god's will destroying her ability to have kids was just an oversight.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited February 2009

God wills a lot of asinine shit.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

God wills a lot of asinine shit.

God's got a lot of time on his hands, ok? He has to make these little challenges for himself to keep occupied. It's like he was playing sudoku with this woman's uterus.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

She had six kids before this. Her ability to have kids seems pretty good to me.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm not sure that the viewing public is going to be crazy about a woman who just had 8 kids she knew beforehand she couldn't support when many of them are losing their jobs and can't support the kid or two they have themselves. Not to mention the fact that the octuplets stand a good chance of being fucked up permanently because they're octuplets. "Too many kids shows" rely on attractive parents/kids who live the kind of upper-upper-upper-middle class lifestyle that most of America wishes they had, not to mention a wide variety of ages to pull "characters" from. She has neither.

Also, I'd say the older demographic isn't crazy about her because she press-ganged her retired parents into taking care of her massive family, which they obviously aren't too happy about and aren't shy about saying publicly.

Duffel on
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm pro in vitro, simply because my junk is messed up thanks to endometriosis and I'd like to have kids (one or two) of my own once I'm financially set enough to do so. If I have a hard time getting pregnant I'd like that option available to me. Yes, I know that there are many kids that need to be adopted but adoption is a lengthy, expensive process. Someone who can afford one or two kids may not be able to afford the lawyers and fees associated with trying to get an adopted child.

Humans can take anything to excess. In vitro can be abused. No one should have so many implants at once. This woman clearly could not take care of the kids she had and with this new bunch... it makes me wonder how long it is going to take before child welfare steps in.

Should you do a price check you'll find adoption costs about half as much. sometimes less. There are also no lawyers involved.

It's okay, just say "I want one of my owwwwwwn".

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Those were IVF as well.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    I personally think 24-hour news cycles tend to desensitize people to things they initially find outrageous.

Yes, but she talks about them as if they were pets whenever she goes on TV, which means that the show would be stupendously creepy.
    Besides that, there are certain moral problems with having kids to use them as a sideshow cash cow.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited February 2009

They were all done with invetro, special ed. if you couldn't infer what I was saying, I'm going to call that a failure on your part.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Those were IVF as well.

...I'm not sure if that makes this all better or worse. :|

DarkCrawler on