As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Give me back that fillet-o-fish! (Lent thread)

• Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Fallout wrote: »
    Spectre-x wrote: »
    My church generally uses the money from donations to feed the homeless and do other missionary/charity projects around town.

Since donations have dropped a bit, we've cut back from our program that helps people pay bills.

Lent is a time where you either give up something or do something extra. I think I'll just go to church on Weds. I was going to give up "Drugs, Sex, and Rock n' Roll" for Lent, but I think that'd be too much.

how is missionary "work" equitable to charity

Missionary work also often includes participating in social programs thereby spreading the gospel of compassion and yada yada.

Stuff like that, presumably.

now if they could just help people without lying to them

but no, that would be missing the point

Would implying that missionaries are liars and only help others to indoctrinate them fall under breaking your vow to not say anything bad about religion or religious people?

I'm just curious. I'm not religious at all myself.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I haven't given up anything since I was a kid. I never have any ideas that either don't matter to me (give up chocolate? How often do I even eat chocolate?) or just won't happen (giving up the internet or TV).

So this year I'm really doing it. Yesterday I decided I'm giving up Subway, which is quite a sacrifice: I eat there twice a week and now I'll have to suffer through more dining hall food than usual.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My church generally uses the money from donations to feed the homeless and do other missionary/charity projects around town.

Since donations have dropped a bit, we've cut back from our program that helps people pay bills.

Lent is a time where you either give up something or do something extra. I think I'll just go to church on Weds. I was going to give up "Drugs, Sex, and Rock n' Roll" for Lent, but I think that'd be too much.

Missionary work also often includes participating in social programs thereby spreading the gospel of compassion and yada yada.

Would implying that missionaries are liars and only help others to indoctrinate them fall under breaking your vow to not say anything bad about religion or religious people?

i gave up saying bad things about religious folk a few days ago

so i'm going to give that up for lent

fags

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009

i gave up saying bad things about religious folk a few days ago

so i'm going to give that up for lent

fags

Oh, now I see what you did there you sneaky devil

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    :twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Butters wrote: »
    naporeon wrote: »
    I'd totally be giving up booze for Lent.

If, you know, I were Catholic and not an alcoholic.

Ain't nothing or nobody making me give up booze.
    Not even the sweet baby Jesus, and his angelic choir?

naporeon on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    also lent is a fake idea

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Fire Truck wrote: »
    My sister's husband was raised as a scientologist. They were married by a scientologist minister(?). He's just a normal dude, though, and doesn't really know much about the weird scientology stuff that most internet people are up in arms about. The most out there thing he believes in is detox.

Still weird though.

There was a thing once about a guy who joined scientology, was really into it, really devoted himself to it and then one day hit the "level" or whatever where they tell you about Xenu and was just crushed.

Anyway, apparently a lot of people in Hollywood are Scientologists solely because it often makes it easier for them to get work.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    also lent is a fake idea

How can something be a fake idea?

Fire Truck on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    also lent is a fake idea

When it's made from synthetic ideatanium.

DUH.

naporeon on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    also lent is a fake idea

Yeah, I'm not precisely sure what you meant by this, Spectre.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

The, uh

the "gospel of compassion" is just being nice and helping people in need.

There isn't a whole lot of "JESUS WILL SAVE YOU FROM YOUR POVERTY IF YOU OPEN YOUR HEART TO HIM" at soup kitchens.

Way to make sweeping generalizations about people trying to help others because it's the right thing to do, though. Good job with that.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    sarukun wrote: »
    also lent is a fake idea

See, you take 1 part "Lent is a ridiculous conceit", and 1 part "Inarticulate atheist", put them in a blender, and voilà.

naporeon on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    also lent is a fake idea

See, you take 1 part "Lent is a ridiculous conceit", and 1 part "Inarticulate atheist", put them in a blender, and voilà.

This is why you are a favorite.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    also lent is a fake idea

This is why you are a favorite.
    hi5

naporeon on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    also lent is a fake idea

But

Lent's a pretty good idea. You give up something you enjoy, teaching you self-restraint and frugality. And when I was a kid at church, the sermons always revolved around using this experience to think about those who go all year without the comforts you are giving up, so why don't you donate to this charity or worthy cause.

Not bad as far as religious beliefs/rituals go.

Fire Truck on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    also lent is a fake idea

But

Lent's a pretty good idea. You give up something you enjoy, teaching you self-restraint and frugality. And when I was a kid at church, the sermons always revolved around using this experience to think about those who go all year without the comforts you are giving up, so why don't you donate to this charity or worthy cause.

Not bad as far as religious beliefs/rituals go.

Jeez guys it was just an Achewood reference sorta kinda. Being in trouble is the real fake idea. I have nothing against religion or lent so long as people are reasonable about their beliefs.

I am very articulate you guys.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    See but achewood uses context and exposition to make its jokes arituclate

you used none of those things.

sarukun on
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Some people are giving up their job for Lent. I think that is good enough for almost anyone.

Might last more than 40 days though.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Endomatic wrote: »
    Some people are giving up their job for Lent. I think that is good enough for almost anyone.

Might last more than 40 days though.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I am well aware of that and I didn't mean that I was very articulate then or even right now.

There's no need to be a bit of a douche about a simple misunderstanding.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I am well aware of that and I didn't mean that I was very articulate then or even right now.

I'm just pointing out the reasons why your joke did not have the intended effect.

Perhaps you are aware of those things now, so I guess I will not rub your nose it in iany more.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I'm just pointing out the reasons why your joke did not have the intended effect.

Perhaps you are aware of those things now, so I guess I will not rub your nose it in iany more.

I was aware of the reasons as soon as I made the joke. I didn't expect anyone to get that it was from Achewood nor did I intend it to be funny specifically as a reference to Achewood, I just really like "X is a fake idea" as a phrase.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

The, uh

the "gospel of compassion" is just being nice and helping people in need.

There isn't a whole lot of "JESUS WILL SAVE YOU FROM YOUR POVERTY IF YOU OPEN YOUR HEART TO HIM" at soup kitchens.

Way to make sweeping generalizations about people trying to help others because it's the right thing to do, though. Good job with that.

oh i'm sure the promise of eternal life doesn't factor into it at all

i never said that everything a christian ever touched was bad, i just don't think that a belief in absurd mysticism should be encouraged in anyone

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Okay.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I was aware of the reasons as soon as I made the joke. I didn't expect anyone to get that it was from Achewood nor did I intend it to be funny specifically as a reference to Achewood, I just really like "X is a fake idea" as a phrase.

oh don't mind him

holy nihon's iron skull technique is powerful indeed.........................

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009

i never said that everything a christian ever touched was bad, i just don't think that a belief in absurd mysticism should be encouraged in anyone

Yes but you see "absurd mysticism" is a point of view, and one that smacks of condescending douchebaggery at that.

There's a whole big pile of secular improvement to the quality of life that goes hand in hand with the concept of the "eternal reward" in heaven, Fallout. So even if you prefer to ridicule the notion of an afterlife, and you're certainly not alone in that, it's fallacious and offensive to suggest that the reason any people of any religion do something is so they can have it good when they cash in their spiritual chips.

sarukun on
  • Options
    ArgusArgus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    GRMike wrote: »
    spono wrote: »
    Mysst wrote: »
    JohnHam wrote: »
    spono wrote: »
    Hunter wrote: »
    Harrier wrote: »
    Generally I find it more fulfilling to do something extra for Lent alongside giving something up. For the last few years I've been making my way through the Gospels, and this year I'm up to the Gospel of Luke. I'm also giving up extraneous sugar.

Also, for all Catholics, a reminder that today is supposed to be a fasting day. So no meat, but also much less food in general.

If you're going to get technical, no birth control, sex before marriage, and give them 10% of your total income for the year.

what the hell? ten percent?

I always thought it was a "throw in a dollar if you like" sort of deal

so that means there's one church employee for each church-goer?

No, I believe it is based literally on a line from the Bible that dictates one give a certain percentage of income (or total wealth?) to charity/the Church each year.
    tithing, 10%

I never tithed and I'm better off than my parents who do, so y'know.

that seems like a crazy amount of money

also I meant "one church employee for every 10 church-goers" because the other way doesn't make sense

I am not Catholic, but I have never been to a Church that demands you give them 10% of your money or else...

You don't have to be Catholic. In the town I grew up in, I went to a Baptist church for a while, and everyday it was either 1) talking about how everyone sins so bad, 2) talking about how you have to give money to the lord, 3) both. They had a building roughly equal in size to the Methodist church down the block, then they got a whole bunch of money from some millionaire old couple that died and left it all to the church and built MEGA CHURCH. It has lower seating and giant upper balcony seating, plus 2 screens to see the pastor's face, set at different angles so that if you are on the edges of the church you can still see one pretty well, plus a baptism water area like 50 feet up behind the pew with see-through glass so you can watch people getting baptised as they go into the water.

Church.jpg

The area labeled "Chapel" plus the stuff to the left of it was the original building.

Unsurprisingly, this thing cost multi-millions of dollars, and so they were constantly asking for money in order to pay off their loan, :|.

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Yes but you see "absurd mysticism" is a point of view, and one that smacks of condescending douchebaggery at that.

you'll have to forgive me for not being able to muster up a whole lot of respect for a worldview centered around a belief in magic

i mean you think a guy died and then just walked it off
    There's a whole big pile of secular improvement to the quality of life that goes hand in hand with the concept of the "eternal reward" in heaven, Fallout. So even if you prefer to ridicule the notion of an afterlife, and you're certainly not alone in that, it's fallacious and offensive to suggest that the reason any people of any religion do something is so they can have it good when they cash in their spiritual chips.

didn't i just fucking...
    i never said that everything a christian ever touched was bad

yes, there are good side effects that come along with the religion, like feeding the hungry

there are also perfectly good secular philisophical reasons to believe that it's good to help your fellow man

there are fewer secular excuses for these guys

30083688.jpg

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I volunteered with a religious organization that gave out furniture and whatnot to impoverished peoples. The only thing that made it religious was that everyone that worked there was hella about Jesus, and that after we gave the stuff to people we also offered them a crucifix. We were specifically instructed to respect people's decisions on whether they wanted it or not.

While I worked there I saw people reactions across the board, some would refuse it and some would break down crying and force us to say the rosary with them when we pulled it out.

So I think the point is that assuming religious association means forcing agendas down everyone's throat is pretty misguided, and a large majority of the people doing such work are actually doing it to help people, as opposed to it being a sinister conspiracy to convert and melt the brains of the masses.

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Hunter wrote: »
    Harrier wrote: »
    Generally I find it more fulfilling to do something extra for Lent alongside giving something up. For the last few years I've been making my way through the Gospels, and this year I'm up to the Gospel of Luke. I'm also giving up extraneous sugar.

Also, for all Catholics, a reminder that today is supposed to be a fasting day. So no meat, but also much less food in general.

If you're going to get technical, no birth control, sex before marriage, and give them 10% of your total income for the year.

Not even just premarital sex. Cohabitation before marriage is also bad.

My wife's extended family is Catholic. I wonder how they felt about us living in sin before we were married.

Apparently I'm more important to them than their god. Heh.

SeñorAmor on
  • Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    some would break down crying and force us to say the rosary with them when we pulled it out.

LOL

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• Options
    edited February 2009

you'll have to forgive me for not being able to muster up a whole lot of respect for a worldview centered around a belief in magic

didn't i just fucking...
    i never said that everything a christian ever touched was bad

yes, there are good side effects that come along with the religion, like feeding the hungry

there are also perfectly good secular philisophical reasons to believe that it's good to help your fellow man

30083688.jpg

And the secular excuse for this paragon of secularism?

stalin.jpg

Fire Truck on
  • Options
    VorusVorus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    When I was little we used to always give up chocolate for lent and then get tons of chocolate for easter
    that was basically all I knew about being catholic

Vorus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    *cough* crusades *cough*

Burning Organ on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

There's plenty of resons not to respect people. For acting like intolerant idiot douche bags is a pretty solid one. Sort of like you're being right now.

Thinking the world was made in 7 days by a giant dude with a beard isn't a good reason to disrespect someone as a person. Maybe they're a little gullible and you shouldn't ask them to help you cheat on a biology test, but what they believe about what happens to people AFTER THEY DIE doesn't strike me as being particularly relevant to how you treat them.

When was the last time you volunteered your time to help your fellow man? Deriding these people's efforts just because they think dinosaur bones are tools of Satan seems like a pretty big failure on your part to see the bigger picture.

sarukun on
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Vorus wrote: »
    When I was little we used to always give up chocolate for lent and then get tons of chocolate for easter

Just remember, masturbation is a sin.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    ArgusArgus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    vsove wrote: »
    Vorus wrote: »

Just remember, masturbation is a sin.

I am an atheist :winky:.

Argus on
    pasigsizedu5.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009

30083688.jpg
    There are NO reasonable excuses for divisive intolerance.

There's plenty of bullshit excuses, but you sure don't need Jesus to be a racist, bigoted asshole. If you're coming that this from some retarded belief that all of our worlds problems will go away if everybody subscribes to an aethiest point of view, allow me to be the bearer of bad news: people are assholes whether they believe in the flying spaghetti monster or not.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

There's plenty of resons not to respect people. For acting like intolerant idiot douche bags is a pretty solid one. Sort of like you're being right now.

Thinking the world was made in 7 days by a giant dude with a beard isn't a good reason to disrespect someone as a person. Maybe they're a little gullible and you shouldn't ask them to help you cheat on a biology test, but what they believe about what happens to people AFTER THEY DIE doesn't strike me as being particularly relevant to how you treat them.

When was the last time you volunteered your time to help your fellow man? Deriding these people's efforts just because they think dinosaur bones are tools of Satan seems like a pretty big failure on your part to see the bigger picture.

I like this post better than mine. I'ma go with this post instead.

Fire Truck on