Options

Give me back that fillet-o-fish! (Lent thread)

• Options
    JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Here is a question for Fallout; don't you think that if Christianity did not exist, those godhatesfags people would find some other reason to be hateful? They are awful because they are hateful people, and have been taught to be that way. There is nothing in the Bible that suggests the performance of actions like those they commit regularly.

The worst of their actions has no basis in Christianity. They use it to legitimize their ridiculous and evil fringe beliefs.

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• Options
    VorusVorus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    vsove wrote: »
    Vorus wrote: »
    When I was little we used to always give up chocolate for lent and then get tons of chocolate for easter
    that was basically all I knew about being catholic

Just remember, masturbation is a sin.

if god didn't want me to masturbate he wouldn't have invented kleenex

Vorus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    JohnHam wrote: »
    Hunter wrote: »
    Harrier wrote: »
    Generally I find it more fulfilling to do something extra for Lent alongside giving something up. For the last few years I've been making my way through the Gospels, and this year I'm up to the Gospel of Luke. I'm also giving up extraneous sugar.

Also, for all Catholics, a reminder that today is supposed to be a fasting day. So no meat, but also much less food in general.

If you're going to get technical, no birth control, sex before marriage, and give them 10% of your total income for the year.

Not even just premarital sex. Cohabitation before marriage is also bad.

My wife's extended family is Catholic. I wonder how they felt about us living in sin before we were married.

Apparently I'm more important to them than their god. Heh.

My mother told me she wouldn't pay for my sisters wedding if she cohabitated with her boyfriend before they got married.

I spent the next 15 minutes presenting her with the obvious fact that such a choice had literally zero impact on my mother's life and that such petty retribution made no sense in light of that fact.

It was pretty awesome, she saw my point and everything and had no way to support the assertion.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    vsove wrote: »
    When I was little we used to always give up chocolate for lent and then get tons of chocolate for easter
    that was basically all I knew about being catholic

Just remember, masturbation is a sin.

if god didn't want me to masturbate he wouldn't have invented kleenex

Or KY.

sarukun on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Here is a question for Fallout; don't you think that if Christianity did not exist, those godhatesfags people would find some other reason to be hateful? They are awful because they are hateful people, and have been taught to be that way. There is nothing in the Bible that suggests the performance of actions like those they commit regularly.

The worst of their actions has no basis in Christianity. They use it to legitimize their ridiculous and evil fringe beliefs.

I'm glad someone beat me to this point.

Bigots are bigots, whether they're Catholic or Atheist. Idiots like those in that picture give the rest of us a bad name.

Shoot, Kevin Smith's a Catholic, and look at the stuff he makes films about.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Fire Truck wrote: »
    Fallout wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »
    oh i'm sure the promise of eternal life doesn't factor into it at all

i never said that everything a christian ever touched was bad, i just don't think that a belief in absurd mysticism should be encouraged in anyone
    Yes but you see "absurd mysticism" is a point of view, and one that smacks of condescending douchebaggery at that.

you'll have to forgive me for not being able to muster up a whole lot of respect for a worldview centered around a belief in magic

i mean you think a guy died and then just walked it off
    There's a whole big pile of secular improvement to the quality of life that goes hand in hand with the concept of the "eternal reward" in heaven, Fallout. So even if you prefer to ridicule the notion of an afterlife, and you're certainly not alone in that, it's fallacious and offensive to suggest that the reason any people of any religion do something is so they can have it good when they cash in their spiritual chips.

didn't i just fucking...
    i never said that everything a christian ever touched was bad

yes, there are good side effects that come along with the religion, like feeding the hungry

there are also perfectly good secular philisophical reasons to believe that it's good to help your fellow man

there are fewer secular excuses for these guys

30083688.jpg

And the secular excuse for this atheist?

stalin.jpg

ooh ooh lemme guess

uhh... hunger for power, absolute paranoia at losing it and no remorse for anyone?

the only thing that makes an atheist an atheist is a disbelief in a god, at the very least he wasn't failing to live up to any professed spiritual values afaik

are you really gonna make me bust out the H word

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    the only thing that makes an atheist an atheist is a disbelief in a god
    the only thing that makes a theist a theist is a belief in a god

HOLY SHIT LOOK WHAT I DID THERE

PEOPLE ARE MORE THAN THEIR RELIGIOUS AFFILIATION

MORE AT 11

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    wow, this thread got nasty fast

good to know Fallout's still a dick, though

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    naporeon wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    I'd totally be giving up booze for Lent.

If, you know, I were Catholic and not an alcoholic.

Ain't nothing or nobody making me give up booze.
    Not even the sweet baby Jesus, and his angelic choir?

Jesus bled and turned water into wine. It's not a request I see him making.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    ooh ooh lemme guess

uhh... hunger for power, absolute paranoia at losing it and no remorse for anyone?

the only thing that makes an atheist an atheist is a disbelief in a god, at the very least he wasn't failing to live up to any professed spiritual values afaik

are you really gonna make me bust out the H word

I'm baffled by this post.

You just talked shit on people doing objectively good things because of their belief system

and when people pointed out that the market for doing terrible shit is not cornered by religious fundamentalists, you point out that one of Stalin's up-sides was that he wasn't a hypocrite because he had not religious mantra to betray?

sarukun on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

No, I don't think people are born destined to hate others for a given reason and then latch onto the nearest convenient justification. I think people have reasons for what they do, even if they're shitty ones.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I don't drink at all, so that's one criteria I don't have to worry about.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I don't think he's a dick at all, really, just super angry at the world.

I fucking empathize.

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• Options
    edited February 2009

What's bleeding got to do with making water into wine?

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

No, I don't think people are born destined to hate others for a given reason and then latch onto the nearest convenient justification. I think people have reasons for what they do, even if they're shitty ones.

I don't think that either, but I think if you are born into and raised in an environment that reinforces the belief that not only is hate OK, but that there is a divine being that shares and encourages such feelings and actions, then I can see why they might think that way.

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• Options
    edited February 2009

MORE AT 11

i didn't..........

i give up

(still love you though)

shouldn't you be jacking off on anime figures with sarukun somewhere

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    oh hey a religious thread

oh sweet someone being a condescending asshole towards religious beliefs

glad things are right on track

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Bleeds wine.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Nothing. I am saying he bled wine (I'll bet he drank a lot) and made wine from water therefor alcohol isn't a no no as far as Jesus is concerned.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited February 2009

Bleeds wine.

And is made of bread.

Jesus Party Snacks.

vsove on
    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Jesus never bled wine. Catholics believe that the wine is "transubstantiated" into his blood during the consecration. This is a literal belief and is almost certainly the most ridiculous thing about Catholicism.

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    maybe fallout can give up posting for lent

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I don't think that either, but I think if you are born into and raised in an environment that reinforces the belief that not only is hate OK, but that there is a divine being that shares and encourages such feelings and actions, then I can see why they might think that way.

yeah, that's what i mean

i mean, xenophobia is human nature, but i think not having the will of god himself on their side would definitely take the wind out of'em

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I fucking empathize.

Empathize all you want, his frustrations are misdirected and his fashion of dealing with them is juvinile.

Just what the world needs more of.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Jesus never bled wine. Catholics believe that the wine is "transubstantiated" into his blood during the consecration. This is a literal belief and is almost certainly the most ridiculous thing about Catholicism.

I think they came up with that so they'd have an excuse to get drunk at Mass.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009

MORE AT 11

i didn't..........

i give up

(still love you though)

If you concede this point, then I don't understand why you're being condescending/angry toward religious belief.

My point with the Stalin thing was that people don't need religion to do heinous shit, and saying that heinous shit is worse when committed by religious nuts is hells of retarded.

Fire Truck on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Cloudman wrote: »
    maybe fallout can give up posting for lent

perhaps you could give up not resting your chin on my nuts

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009

yeah, that's what i mean

i mean, xenophobia is human nature, but i think not having the will of god himself on their side would definitely take the wind out of'em

It that you are as misguided as you imagine theists to be.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Shut up.

Butters on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

shouldn't you be jacking off on anime figures with sarukun somewhere

I think you're thinking of someone else, dude. But thanks for the effort.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I fucking empathize.

Empathize all you want, his frustrations are misdirected and his fashion of dealing with them is juvinile.

I'm pretty sure posting about anything on this forum could be construed as juvenile.

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• Options
    edited February 2009

Nobody actually believes we are drinking real blood.

It is religious symbolism and nothing more.

fucking of course Jesus did not bleed wine.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

I fucking empathize.

I'm pretty sure posting about anything on this forum could be construed as juvenile.

Point, JohnHam.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Shut up.

Look, dude, I went to Catholic school for thirteen years, can't you let me feel like the reams of sacramental knowledge I have are of some use to anyone, anywhere, ever?

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• Options
    edited February 2009

He bled Jamaican Rum actually. Remnants of it were found on the head of the spear of destiny.

Butters on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Shut up.

Look, dude, I went to Catholic school for thirteen years, can't you let me feel like the reams of sacramental knowledge I have are of some use to anyone, anywhere, ever?

If in Catholic school they taught you that you drink actual blood every Sunday because of magic, then I posit you did not actually go to Catholic school.

sarukun on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Shut up.

I went to Catholic school too. I am telling you to shut up because you aren't actually educating anyone. We all know this shit.

So shut up.

Butters on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Well, then you're not Catholic. It is a literal belief and is in the Catechism of the Catholic Church. The Eucharist becomes his body as well.

As I said, by far the most ridiculous thing Catholics are supposed to believe. I say supposed to because I can't honestly believe even the majority of them think that it's true.

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    oh hey a religious thread

oh sweet someone being a condescending asshole towards religious beliefs

glad things are right on track

yeah, but religious people deserve it. :p

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited February 2009

Shut up.

I went to Catholic school too. I am telling you to shut up because you aren't actually educating anyone. We all know this shit.

So shut up.

I see you're feeling typically sassy today.

JohnHam on
    signature.png