As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Outdated On] TF2 Thread: The Lockening.

• Options
    TagTag Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    c4tch wrote: »
    also wtf is up with...

http://www.teamfortress.com/scoutupdate/results.htm

but uh... it takes 16 for sandman and 22 for bonk!... explain?

Presumably they aren't counting the milestone achievements, thus dropping it to 15 and 20.

Tag on
    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    akajaybay wrote: »
    MrDelish wrote: »
    definitely worse than the normal double jump, unless I was just using it completely wrong

Vertically it doesnt get you too far. Horizontally it can give you a pretty good push if you can get the run, jump, turn and fire down well. It helps lessen the sting of losing double jump somewhat with sandman but not completely. It can be used for evasive manuevers a bit as well, just not as easily as double jump was.

Someone told me that it does not matter vertically how you shoot it, it will always push you up. Even if you shoot straight up. It only matters which direction you're facing so it'll push you up and back the opposite direction, is this so?

Huh, not sure on that. I'll have to test it. Usually when I'm trying to make a long jump with it I spin around mid jump and try to shoot at a slightly downward angle to get some height. It's possible the angle doesnt matter as much as the direction. There's really only a slight vertical bump to it either way. It's mostly just momentum.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    also wtf is up with...

The numbers on that page do not count the milestones, which the numbers in-game do.

Peewi on
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    preemptive new thread

MrDelish on
  • Options
    DualEdgeDualEdge Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    How about those honeypot servers running achievement_scout in order to ban farmers?

DualEdge on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    preemptive new thread

why

Zek on
  • Options
    c4tchc4tch Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Tag wrote: »
    also wtf is up with...

Presumably they aren't counting the milestone achievements, thus dropping it to 15 and 20.

ah i forgot that those milestones count as achievements - thank you

also for the control alone I will rarely be using the scattergun over the F'N gun. I have pretty much hadoukened people with two shots---> pistol/bat countless times now and it is one of the most fun ways to END SOMEONE

c4tch on
    League of Legends: firecane
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Zek wrote: »
    preemptive new thread

why

-it's close enough
    -I THRIVE ON THREADNAME POWER
    -time for work
    -just look at the OP

MrDelish on
  • Options
    c4tchc4tch Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    oh and i don't know how many hours i've put in - but not that many, and I have 20 or 21 achievements, i forget.

At first I thought it was bad, but it's not so hard.

c4tch on
    League of Legends: firecane
  • Options
    savooipeerdsavooipeerd Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    preemptive new thread

Preemptive, more like premature
    much like your ejaculating

savooipeerd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    egypt is doubleplusterrible, it's not even fitting with the theme of tf2

Nuzak on
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    DualEdge wrote: »
    How about those honeypot servers running achievement_scout in order to ban farmers?

Someone a few pages back revealed that the guy who wrote it made it not count to his clan members and people who pay to use his server. So...I guess you could donate a dollar and be off the list, anyway.
    This assumes that anyone else even implements his plan. Which seems sort of insane. Why not just password protect your server and only allow your friends/clan members on?

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

I posted a list on the official boards of a bunch of the mod creator's clanmates whose stats suggest they have farmed achievements (like having the Pyromancer achievement, but not Firefighter). He has not been pleased with the community response.

Knuckle Dragger on
    Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    Quaz and WallyQuaz and Wally Registered User regular
    edited March 2009

Wut is this? There are pubs with fake achievement servers so they can ban you from their pubs?

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    I'm not reviving that thread.

In order, I would prefer

1) Everything unlocked by default, achievements just for fun.
    2) A statement that using an unlocker is a-ok.
    3) A consistently enforced ban on unlockers.
    4) A sometimes enforced ban on unlockers.

I'm not a huge fan of being forced to take the safe road and use a horrid achievements server while some get away scot-free using the officially frowned upon unlocker.

For the Pyro and Heavy updates it wasn't too bad. Getting all of the achievements in normal play didn't take too long. But with the scout one there are bugged achievements (use the FAN to cause an environmental death, start capping a point as soon as it's unlocked) as well as achievements that are basically impossible to get in normal play (cause an environmental death with the Sandman stun, hit someone with the sandman taunt, cap the intel without firing a shot, cap the intel 3 times in a round), encourage bad play (block a point capture a lot, kill people while ubered) and grindy achievements (25 caps, 50 blocks, 2004 kills, 25 stuns on ubercharge, 50 stun kills, run 25 km). There's enough annoying to obtain achievements that I still only had the awful Force-A-Nature after 7 hours of play. I was playing scout even when I was sick of it, just to try and get achievements. That's when I just gave up and joined an achievements server.

So if I have you correctly, you want them to not punish people they obviously feel are cheating more than anything? That's obviously not fair to them, why should they bother working on the things if people are just going to ruin their hard work with cheating?

You'd like them to say that the unlocker is fine, when they clearly don't agree with that sentiment.

Now here's the part I like best. You'd rather them consistantly enforce a ban on unlockers. They do take that stance, but the type of work and manpower such a project would be to undertake would require them to A) hire a division of workers dedicated only to that task, which costs more money and according to a guy on the boards who (I think) works there, they aren't hiring) or B) devote their time almost exclusively to that task, and then we would probably never get new unlockables and achievements again. I would prefer this method, but its just not possible.

So we're left with the somtimes enforced ban (its the second time they did it, I believe). I know its not perfect, but if it doesn't send the message to you who use unlockers (whether you were punished or not) that what you're doing is cheating, than nothing will. The fact of the matter is, they code the game and they believe cheating of this kind is not allowable, and I believe that message has been delivered quite clearly.

Goose! on
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    mcdermott wrote: »
    I'd like to suggest changing the number of wins until scramble on JonXP's server to 3 rather than 2. 2 wins means scrambling happens all the time and there's barely any time to get to know your team or find a good class mix. Also I think the maps should last a little bit longer. It's really annoying to play like 2 rounds, sit one out and plan for revenge, then have the map change after like 7 minutes.

It's a tough balance, though, because at least back in the day Arena had a tendency to kill a server. I think the reason Jon gets away with running some utterly reviled maps is that he runs them for short durations, so people don't have time to get sick of them and leave (see: 2fort, ctf_well).

I'd love to see some more Arena, but I guess I'll just have to keep searching for a good Arena pub for that.

This is exactly it. Hydro, ctf maps, and arena maps will be short games.

The reason I have a two win scramble is to declare a "winner" quickly. There are three teams competing at any given time. If your team wins twice in a row, bravo, you win, now let's restart. No one (except the 1/3rd that's winning) wants to sit around and get owned for several rounds straight. With there only being six rounds to play, there's not enough time to really get anything together anyway. Arena is in my rotation to be a breather...something different to break up the higher stress gameplay of the A/D and 5-point maps.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Wut is this? There are pubs with fake achievement servers so they can ban you from their pubs?

Mod homepage

And my response to him (second post on page)

Knuckle Dragger on
    Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    How in the name of all that's unholy and good in this world is a bloke ruining anything by accessing content?

*squeezes blood out of a stone*

This rock bleeds in your name, sir!

-Well I suppose you could say that it tarnishes their amusement at forcing people to chew through golden hoops in order to rescue the hamster king, but damn. Valve has expressed their displeasure with us for bypassing stuff we don't like with a slap onna wrist, and we've expressed our contempt for them by doing it anyway. What's to argue?

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I hopped on one of those achievement map servers over the weekend while waiting to join Job's and all it had was a tiny map (about the size of the cap room in last stage of Hydro) with instant spawning, 4 med cabinets out in the open, a pond in the middle (for underwater achievements) and some ramps behind the spawn areas that go up and up. The whole map had that default checkered texture. It was pretty obvious no one was going for the actual achievements since half the people were either Snipers or Soldiers. Although, because of the med cabinets, Scouts kept standing next to them and spamming Bonk.

It was really stupid. An achievement map with no one getting achievements.

EDIT: As a side note, I got 1 achievement while I was there which was the Heavy Taunting one.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I really want to know how
    I would prefer everything unlocked by default, achievements just for fun.
    is supposed to mean
    Goose! wrote: »
    you want them to not punish people they obviously feel are cheating more than anything?

And this doesn't even make sense, but then again, it's Goose!
    That's obviously not fair to them, why should they bother working on the things if people are just going to ruin their hard work with cheating?

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Basil wrote: »
    How in the name of all that's unholy and good in this world is a bloke ruining anything by accessing content?

*squeezes blood out of a stone*

This rock bleeds in your name, sir!

-Well I suppose you could say that it tarnishes their amusement at forcing people to chew through golden hoops in order to rescue the hamster king, but damn. Valve has expressed their displeasure with us for bypassing stuff we don't like with a slap onna wrist, and we've expressed our contempt for them by doing it anyway. What's to argue?
    Oh, it gets better. Here is a quote from the creator on another forum:
    msleeper wrote:
    I think it is noble, and I think that if I had released this sooner - say, right after the Medic update - then maybe people would not have become as complacent with farming in the first place. Your example is bad too, by the way, because it implies that toys are bad. A better example would be posing as an underage girl and luring people to see you for sex, but then the police show up and bust you. If you weren't going to be doing something against the rules, you wouldn't have been there in the first place.

And I bet you thought he stuck that picture of Chris Matthews next to his ban list as a joke.

Knuckle Dragger on

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I'm not reviving that thread.

In order, I would prefer

1) Everything unlocked by default, achievements just for fun.
    2) A statement that using an unlocker is a-ok.
    3) A consistently enforced ban on unlockers.
    4) A sometimes enforced ban on unlockers.

I'm not a huge fan of being forced to take the safe road and use a horrid achievements server while some get away scot-free using the officially frowned upon unlocker.

For the Pyro and Heavy updates it wasn't too bad. Getting all of the achievements in normal play didn't take too long. But with the scout one there are bugged achievements (use the FAN to cause an environmental death, start capping a point as soon as it's unlocked) as well as achievements that are basically impossible to get in normal play (cause an environmental death with the Sandman stun, hit someone with the sandman taunt, cap the intel without firing a shot, cap the intel 3 times in a round), encourage bad play (block a point capture a lot, kill people while ubered) and grindy achievements (25 caps, 50 blocks, 2004 kills, 25 stuns on ubercharge, 50 stun kills, run 25 km). There's enough annoying to obtain achievements that I still only had the awful Force-A-Nature after 7 hours of play. I was playing scout even when I was sick of it, just to try and get achievements. That's when I just gave up and joined an achievements server.

*throws entire point out the window*
    *wipes hands*

Well that fixed that!

edit:
    I'll elaborate. Recently, TF2 activity has picked up a lot. Using PA as an example, a lot of people came back from L4D and now play it more consistently. Why do you think this is? Do you think Valve did not anticipate this? The achievements are as they to lengthen gameplay and to give individuals goals within a team-goal environment. The achievements, like the 'grindy' ones you mention, aren't meant to be "grinded" but will come to an individual over time. I also like how you think blocking a point is encouraging bad play. And I have yet to run into any broken achievements. Some, like the taunt insta-kill, are obvious gimmick achievements that are there for fun. You remember fun don't you? The achievements, combined with staged unlocks, draws in players for a longer time and keeps them playing the game, with the gameplay being altered slightly with each sets of unlocks (like the kritzkrieg, heavies having to fear the bonk, backblast giving more credence to ambushy pyros).

Valve punish people who circumvent this entire system because 1) They don't really care about playing the game long term, so fuck em 2) It's altering game files for unintended purposes 3) Fuck em.

Use the unlocker, I really couldn't care, but it's pretty much a backhanded insult to Valve if you do. These guys work on this, intend for it to be done a certain way, and it ends up being "GIMME GIMME GIMMEEEE *gets bored* *flames message boards*"

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I play TF2 for fun, not for achievements.

tofu on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    I misread the first point. Probably because its so ridiculous.

Goose! on
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Arikado wrote: »
    I hopped on one of those achievement map servers over the weekend while waiting to join Job's and all it had was a tiny map (about the size of the cap room in last stage of Hydro) with instant spawning, 4 med cabinets out in the open, a pond in the middle (for underwater achievements) and some ramps behind the spawn areas that go up and up. The whole map had that default checkered texture. It was pretty obvious no one was going for the actual achievements since half the people were either Snipers or Soldiers. Although, because of the med cabinets, Scouts kept standing next to them and spamming Bonk.

It was really stupid. An achievement map with no one getting achievements.

EDIT: As a side note, I got 1 achievement while I was there which was the Heavy Taunting one.

I went to an achievement server but I think I gave out more achievements than I earned for myself by going engi and building things to be destroyed.

Asiina on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    tofu wrote: »
    I play TF2 for fun, not for achievements.

I could strawman this whole debate pretty easy too if I wanted

1385396-1.png
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    And frankly, tying achievements to unlocks is dumb and completely ruins the dynamic of the game. I mean, it's been over a week now and PA servers still have half scoot teams.

tofu on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    And frankly, tying achievements to unlocks is dumb and completely ruins the dynamic of the game for days after the update. I mean, it's been over a week now and PA servers still have half scoot teams.

No, it doesn't and no they don't

Last three or four times I've played have had even teams in terms of classes.
    It's the unlocker the ruins the dynamic, because you got people with all 3 in hour 1, and people just grinding to try and get these unlocks so they can catch up
    But hey, completely ignore my post and keep making the same points, that's cool, not like I expected any decent debate from the Penny Arcade forums

1385396-1.png
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    Anti-SeanAnti-Sean Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Damn you, Zoidberg! You just made me buy Garry's Mod in a futile attempt to ape your hilarious comedic stylings. :(:(:(

Anti-Sean on
  • Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Let's go back to talking about how the Sandman needs to be nerfed.

I think it needs to be wrapped in bubble wrap.

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    I play tf2 all the time, and I've seen as few as 1, 2 when I join, and as many as 4, 5 when I join at a time. But its definitely not all scoot all the time like last week.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

Right click to pop a bubble with satisfying *pop* sound

1385396-1.png
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    The sandman's ball should hook left/right if the scout is moving, making the only way to get an accurate straight shot to be standing perfectly still or running directly at your target.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    edited March 2009

So as the scout blazes by, he drops bubble wrap, and you essentially stun yourself because you're so distracted popping bubble wrap. Pop as little or as much as you like.

Doc Holliday on
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Change it so that crit balls only work after a certain amount of distance.
    Lower the stun time against ubers by 25%
    Make the ball stun consistently, fix it 'bouncing off' of enemeis.

Bam, fixed.

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    Since the premature new TF2 thread has suffered crib death I'll post this here.

There's one upgrade spy really needs, and that's not be shown in spectator/dead mode somehow.
    Often when having a battle near the spawn you see a spy uncloak and hide, respawn. Turn the corner, bam. Dead spy. Or even just being able to yell "Look out X, spy behind you".

akajaybay on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Arkan wrote: »
    The sandman's ball should hook left/right if the scout is moving, making the only way to get an accurate straight shot to be standing perfectly still or running directly at your target.

Outfielder's mitt. Catch the ball and the Scout is "out" and gets stunned himself.

Doc Holliday on
  • Options
    edited March 2009

So as the scout blazes by, he drops bubble wrap, and you essentially stun yourself because you're so distracted popping bubble wrap. Pop as little or as much as you like.

It would be a replacement for caltrips, sheets of bubblewrap that you slow down when you step on because you're character has to absolutely step on every single bubble!

1385396-1.png
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited March 2009
    And frankly, tying achievements to unlocks is dumb and completely ruins the dynamic of the game for days after the update. I mean, it's been over a week now and PA servers still have half scoot teams.

No, it doesn't and no they don't

Last three or four times I've played have had even teams in terms of classes.
    It's the unlocker the ruins the dynamic, because you got people with all 3 in hour 1, and people just grinding to try and get these unlocks so they can catch up
    But hey, completely ignore my post and keep making the same points, that's cool, not like I expected any decent debate from the Penny Arcade forums

But you ignore the fact that there are two ways to fix this, and that for whatever reason the method Valve has chosen doesn't seem terribly popular.

Also Goose I'm still curious what your take is on farming, and if you've ever done it.

EDIT: And I get the feeling the enforcement on the unlocker is somewhat erratic because it's not terribly easy to enforce. It's probably pretty difficult to tell the difference between somebody using the per-achievement unlocker and somebody just getting them legit, unless they do shit like just unlock the milestones. Even then, you don't know that that person didn't farm the achievement, then re-lock the achievements so they could get them again for fun...and punishing people for locking achievements will go over real well.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Anti-Sean wrote: »
    Damn you, Zoidberg! You just made me buy Garry's Mod in a futile attempt to ape your hilarious comedic stylings. :(:(:(

Gmod is a bunch of fun, but it can take a little bit to figure out how to pose things. I got really frustrated when I first got it and shelved the thing for a couple months before breaking it back out to do my Iosif comics.

Edit: Ook, top of page=new comic.

As Seen on TV:

As_Seen_on_TV_by_IosifTheEngineer.jpg

Knuckle Dragger on

- John Stuart Mill
This discussion has been closed.